Start by marking “Novels II of Samuel Beckett: Volume II of The Grove Centenary Editions” as Want to Read:
Novels II of Samuel Beckett: Volume II of The Grove Centenary Editions

Novels II of Samuel Beckett: Volume II of The Grove Centenary Editions

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Edited by Paul Auster, this four–volume set of Beckett's canon has been designed by award-winner Laura Lindgren. Available individually, as well as in a boxed set, the four hardcover volumes have been specially bound with covers featuring images central to Beckett's works. Typographical errors that remained uncorrected in the various prior editions have now been corrected ...more
Published March 13th 2006 by Grove Press

To ask other readers questions about Novels II of Samuel Beckett, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Novels II of Samuel Beckett

K.D. Absolutely
Apr 30, 2014 K.D. Absolutely rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006-2012)
I am now in Book 3 of this 4-volume The Selected Works of Samuel Beckett by Samuel Beckett set of works by the 1969 Nobel Prize for Literature winner, Samuel Beckett (1906-1989). I have completed reading all of his 7 novels: (1) Murphy by Samuel Beckett (5 stars) Murphy is about an aging man who plays pacifist chess. I swiftly finished this because my brother liked this so much too; (2) Watt by Samuel Beckett (4 stars) Watt is a servant in an apartment and I stalled reading this for a few months because I could not understand what was going on. Hard-to-follow plot but I did not know it was B ...more
Taka
The three novels - Molloy, Malone Dies, and the Unnamable - are considered one of the greatest trilogies written in the 20th century. I must disagree.

When assessing a work of art, I think, one ought to consider at least three things: 1) style; 2) story; and 3) artistic merit against a backdrop of the historical, cultural, and artistic trends of the day.

Did Beckett create a new genre, a new way to write novels and dramas? Undoubtedly yes. 521 pages of constant, disconnected, meaningless blabber,
umberto
If you want to experience 'the stream of consciousness' in novels, as far as I know, Beckett's works may interest your curiosity. His narration is simply unique. "In Search of Lost Time" by Marcel Proust is of course another famous series.

I've read this volume since 2007 & been busy working till I forgot to open it; the page reached then, p. 143.
Elisabeth
I just wanted to recommend these new Grove Centenary editions for their beauty, quality and readability. The trilogy is so much easier to read in this form than in that horrid little old Grove paperback.
Taoufiq Hebboul
Taoufiq Hebboul marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Juanita
Juanita marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Justin Holinka
Justin Holinka marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Aa
Aa is currently reading it
Jan 03, 2015
Jyotsna Agrawal
Jyotsna Agrawal marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Mika Plits
Mika Plits marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Ken French
Ken French marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Jordan
Jordan is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2014
Craig Swanson
Craig Swanson marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Samuel Barclay Beckett was an Irish avant-garde novelist, playwright, theatre director, and poet, who lived in France for most of his adult life. He wrote in both English and French. His work offers a bleak, tragicomic outlook on human nature, often coupled with black comedy and gallows humour.

Beckett is widely regarded as among the most influential writers of the 20th century. Strongly influenced
More about Samuel Beckett...
Waiting for Godot Endgame Endgame & Act Without Words Molloy, Malone Dies, The Unnamable Krapp's Last Tape & Embers