Start by marking “Children's Minds” as Want to Read:
Children's Minds

Children's Minds

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Developmental psychologist Margaret Donaldson shows that much of the intellectual framework on which we base our teaching is misleading. We both underestimate the astonishing rational powers of young children and ignore the major stumbling block that children face when starting school.

Given a setting and a language that makes sense to them in human terms, very young childr
Published September 17th 1979 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Children's Minds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children's Minds

Ally
Before I started my new job I wanted to try and get some idea of how children's minds work. This book was recommended to me - it's short and easy to read, and conveys a lot of information in language that is clear and easy to understand. Donaldson looks at the Piagetian theory of child development in terms of mental abilities and comprehension of concepts such as conservation, and uses examples from research to show what children are actually able to do in practice.

Despite not reading it that l
Aurelien
Although influenced by his work (she even started her career at his Institut pour les Sciences de l'Education in Geneva) Margaret Donaldson is here rejecting or, at least nuancing, some of Jean Piaget's theories.
Don't worry if you are unfamiliar with those theories! Not only does she explain them before criticising them but, there's also a welcomed Appendix where she outlines them in details, developing their key concepts. Thus, even if the whole deals with complicated quarrels relating from chi
Lars Guthrie
When I was in the teaching credential program at San Francisco State, I often thought it was odd and even wrong that I was never asked to read the foundational writers of educational theory and child psychology. Students read about Dewey, and Piaget, and Vygotsky, yet we never read the authors themselves.

As I have have forayed into this area of literature since those days, I have discovered one reason why: it's hard to read such work. But surely it's worth the effort. Conversancy with primary s
Kay
This is one of the best accounts of how children "see" the world that I have read- and I used to teach developmental psychology at uni. The writing is a bit twisted for the lay reader, but I'd urge parents interested in how their children view their lives and learning, to take a brief look at the chapters on children's points of view. It's fascinating getting into the child's head via the clever experiments Donaldson and her pals dreamed up! I know my kindergarten teacher trainees used to be ama ...more
Andy
I forgot almost everything that I read from this book almost immediately upon putting it down. It was for school and my heart (and mind) were not in it. It may be perfectly good. I have no way of knowing.
Jacqui Found
A very interesting read although it seemed at times I was wading through treacle.
Keranjit Kaur
An interesting insight into the minds of children and development of thinking.
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Rashmi
Rashmi marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Kevin Trigg
Kevin Trigg is currently reading it
Apr 30, 2015
Banaper
Banaper marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Maggie Schwanke
Maggie Schwanke marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Victoria Arellano
Victoria Arellano marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Wardeh  Motusem
Wardeh Motusem marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Anamaria Trotingher
Anamaria Trotingher marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Marcus
Marcus added it
Feb 01, 2015
Matilda
Matilda marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Natasha Allen
Natasha Allen marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Madness Explained
  • Bodies
  • The Private Life of the Brain: Emotions, Consciousness, and the Secret Life of the Self
  • The Carl Rogers Reader
  • Picking Up The Pieces
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • Mental Illness and Psychology
  • Why Love Matters: How Affection Shapes a Baby's Brain
  • Learning Teaching (Macmillan Books for Teachers)
  • Deep Play
  • Happiness: Lessons from a New Science
  • The Junior Officers' Reading Club: Killing Time And Fighting Wars
  • Endangered Minds: Why Children Dont Think And What We Can Do About It
  • Civil War: The Wars of the Three Kingdoms 1638-1660
  • The Homework Myth: Why Our Kids Get Too Much of a Bad Thing
  • Autism and Asperger Syndrome
  • The Lazy Teacher's Handbook: How Your Students Learn More When You Teach Less
  • The Next Step in Guided Reading: Focused Assessments and Targeted Lessons for Helping Every Student Become a Better Reader
Journey Into War Human Minds: An Exploration The Moon's on Fire Come Ragionano I Bambini A Study of Children's Thinking