Start by marking “Research Is Ceremony: Indigenous Research Methods” as Want to Read:
Research Is Ceremony: Indigenous Research Methods

Research Is Ceremony: Indigenous Research Methods

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Describing a research paradigm shared by indigenous scholars in Canada and Australia, this study demonstrates how this standard can be put into practice. Portraying indigenous researchers as knowledge seekers who work to progress indigenous ways of being, knowing, and doing in a constantly evolving context, this examination shows how relationshipsboth shape indigenous real ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Fernwood Publishing Co., Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Research Is Ceremony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Research Is Ceremony

Hannah Spencer
Sep 14, 2013 Hannah Spencer rated it liked it
Shelves: read-for-school
A must read for Indigenous scholars. Provides another voice, another perspective to academia and research. The Western way isn't the other way. Reading this book was personally challenging for me, as it called into question things I had taken for granted... For example, research should be objective. Wilson argues that research can't and shouldn't be objective. *boom* mind blown.

Wilson says Indigenous research is about relationality and relational accountability. Ah, and isn't that what life's a
Lucy
Apr 12, 2014 Lucy rated it it was amazing
This book was great. It is a must read for anyone embarking on Indigenous research, if only to understand more fully the cyclical, relational nature of Indigenous knowledge and respectful ways to negotiate that space. Wilson's writing style allows familiarity to grow and the reader is able to increase their comfort level with the material at their own pace. A small book but heavy with useful theory and knowledge.
Analouise Keating
Mar 04, 2015 Analouise Keating rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, timely, and vital.
Cutcha Risling Baldy
Jun 07, 2011 Cutcha Risling Baldy rated it really liked it
Shelves: research, methodology
I will wrote a more thorough review on my website. But in short- lots of good information and a good introduction to the "conversation" of Indigenous Research and Methodology. Provides some basic information for those who may not have a background in the subject area but also provides stimulating discussion and topic areas of the many aspects of research as ceremony.
Scott Neigh
Reviewed here.
Erin
Jul 23, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book reads like a schizophrenic with ADD wrote it and I love it. Wilson jumps back and forth from an academic voice to an indigenous one and the result is a story of research that is a thesis. I would recommend this book for any Indigenous student, or scholars, Indigenous or not, working with cultures outside the dominant one.
Mary
Sep 04, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction

While I thought that this book made a number of very good points, I also feel like some of these approaches aren't as unheard of in non-Indigenous contexts as the author seems to believe. Either that, or I've been fortunate to work in unusual circumstances and with some exceptional people over the years.
Freja
Sep 06, 2014 Freja rated it really liked it
This was a good book for helping understand why community based research with indigenous populations can work best if it is driven from the community base :-)
Jenny
Jan 25, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it
Research is Ceremony is a very important theoretical work; it's just pretty dry/academic, and I struggled to say engaged at times.
Tauri
Mar 06, 2013 Tauri rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for discussing Indigenous Research Methods definitely recommend to anyone who is doing research for the first time
Conor Wilkinson
Conor Wilkinson is currently reading it
Jan 30, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
H H
H H rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Emily Jean
Emily Jean marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Anne Grove
Anne Grove marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Noelle Pepin
Noelle Pepin rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Shayna Elbling
Shayna Elbling marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
White Falcon
White Falcon rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Chris Kargel
Chris Kargel marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Nessa Mahmoudi
Nessa Mahmoudi is currently reading it
Nov 24, 2015
Extraterrestrialwizard
Extraterrestrialwizard is currently reading it
Nov 17, 2015
Krystin Gollihue
Krystin Gollihue rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2015
Andi Fejeran Sims
Andi Fejeran Sims marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Edward
Edward marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Jude Sierra
Jude Sierra rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2015
M.T.Humphries
M.T.Humphries marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

“The purpose of any ceremony is to build stronger relationship or bridge the distance between our cosmos and us. The research that we do as Indigenous people is a ceremony that allows us a raised level of consciousness and insight into our world. Through going forward together with open minds and good hearts we have uncovered the nature of this ceremony” 4 likes