Start by marking “Research Is Ceremony: Indigenous Research Methods” as Want to Read:
Research Is Ceremony: Indigenous Research Methods

Research Is Ceremony: Indigenous Research Methods

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Describing a research paradigm shared by indigenous scholars in Canada and Australia, this study demonstrates how this standard can be put into practice. Portraying indigenous researchers as knowledge seekers who work to progress indigenous ways of being, knowing, and doing in a constantly evolving context, this examination shows how relationshipsboth shape indigenous real ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Fernwood Publishing Co., Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Research Is Ceremony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Research Is Ceremony

Hannah Spencer
A must read for Indigenous scholars. Provides another voice, another perspective to academia and research. The Western way isn't the other way. Reading this book was personally challenging for me, as it called into question things I had taken for granted... For example, research should be objective. Wilson argues that research can't and shouldn't be objective. *boom* mind blown.

Wilson says Indigenous research is about relationality and relational accountability. Ah, and isn't that what life's a
Lucy
This book was great. It is a must read for anyone embarking on Indigenous research, if only to understand more fully the cyclical, relational nature of Indigenous knowledge and respectful ways to negotiate that space. Wilson's writing style allows familiarity to grow and the reader is able to increase their comfort level with the material at their own pace. A small book but heavy with useful theory and knowledge.
Analouise Keating
Brilliant, timely, and vital.
Cutcha Risling Baldy
I will wrote a more thorough review on my website. But in short- lots of good information and a good introduction to the "conversation" of Indigenous Research and Methodology. Provides some basic information for those who may not have a background in the subject area but also provides stimulating discussion and topic areas of the many aspects of research as ceremony.
Scott Neigh
Reviewed here.
Erin
This book reads like a schizophrenic with ADD wrote it and I love it. Wilson jumps back and forth from an academic voice to an indigenous one and the result is a story of research that is a thesis. I would recommend this book for any Indigenous student, or scholars, Indigenous or not, working with cultures outside the dominant one.
Mary

While I thought that this book made a number of very good points, I also feel like some of these approaches aren't as unheard of in non-Indigenous contexts as the author seems to believe. Either that, or I've been fortunate to work in unusual circumstances and with some exceptional people over the years.
Freja
This was a good book for helping understand why community based research with indigenous populations can work best if it is driven from the community base :-)
Jenny Shanahan
Research is Ceremony is a very important theoretical work; it's just pretty dry/academic, and I struggled to say engaged at times.
Tauri
Excellent book for discussing Indigenous Research Methods definitely recommend to anyone who is doing research for the first time
Savanna
Savanna marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Adriane
Adriane marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Dani Miller
Dani Miller marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Kerri
Kerri marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
amelia
amelia marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Amandine Faucheux
Amandine Faucheux marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Red Menace
Red Menace marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Kd Ok
Kd Ok is currently reading it
Jan 08, 2015
Csilla Szentléleki
Csilla Szentléleki marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Tarynne
Tarynne is currently reading it
Dec 27, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Sandy
Sandy added it
Dec 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Gwich'in Native Elders: Not Just Knowledge But a Way of Looking at the World Separate, But Equal: Images from the Segregated South The Apple Pie Cobbler

“The purpose of any ceremony is to build stronger relationship or bridge the distance between our cosmos and us. The research that we do as Indigenous people is a ceremony that allows us a raised level of consciousness and insight into our world. Through going forward together with open minds and good hearts we have uncovered the nature of this ceremony” 3 likes