Start by marking “The M&M's Counting Book” as Want to Read:
The M&M's Counting Book

The M&M's Counting Book

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The "M&M'S" "RM" Brand Counting Book has taught thousands of children the basics of numbers and counting. Now a new generation can enjoy this colorful classic.
Published August 1st 2002 by Charlesbridge Publishing (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The M&M's Counting Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The M&M's Counting Book

Anna Lawrence
Personal Reaction:
One reason I enjoyed this book was because they used m&m's to do math and I love m&m's! I really like doing math and learning with materials that I personally enjoy because it makes me want to learn and like learning a lot more. This reminded me of when I was younger and my teacher would bring in candy or treats for us and incorporate them in learning because it definitely engages students more. I liked how the book was very self explanatory and easy to comprehend, whic
Emily Wright
Personal Response - This is a very good book for young children. I was intrigued with the colors and the way they tried to teach the lesson from counting 1 - 12. I feel like children will be visually attracted to this book and it will teach them as they are entertained.

Purpose - This would make for an interesting book to help demonstrate a lesson for young children learning to count. This book could be involved in a lesson while the teacher uses real M and M's to follow the book. This is also gr
Hend Alalwani
Personal reaction,
I really enjoyed reading this book because it teaches children how to count numbers and about different shapes like square. Also, it teaches to arrange a set and read it. I really like how the author teaches children number by put them in long line, or in sets.

Purpose/use in the classroom,

Read aloud for children whose in preschool and kindergarten. From this book children can learn about numbers and how to count to twelve, different shapes, and learn about colors like green, or
Van Phan
(1 beginning books) counting and also from StoryPlace (http://www.storyplace.org/preschool/p...)

This book is great for children that are starting to count, distinguish different colors and shapes. This book educates reader’s numbers from one through twelve, six colors by using the M&M chocolates, and three main shapes (triangle, circle, and square). Because the illustrations in the book only focus on six colors, there isn’t a lot of mixture or diversity of colors. The M&M colors to stand
Cynthia Trueworthy
This is a very fun concept book because it can not only be used for identifying colors, but students can can work on counting items on the page. This book is suggested for 3 to 5 year olds. M&Ms actually has a sort of series of counting and color books for all ages. With their fractions edition, a fun activity was to have students make the fractions with M&Ms. With the counting book, students can also count out M&Ms while they are reading. I think that sort of hands on activity with ...more
Amber
Genre: Picture Book- Counting
Summary: The M&M characters take you through a lesson in sorting and counting m&m’s. The reader is rewarded for all of their hard work by being able to eat the m&m’s through subtraction.
Critique- Rhyme
I thought the rhyming used in the book actually took away from the lesson. It was very remedial and unoriginal. It made the book seem childish and silly. Also I felt that the concepts jumped around a lot. Children of a younger age learn their shapes, but th
Ashley Storms
This is an entertaining counting book for anyone with a sweet tooth! Recommended for primary students.
Sharon Schlup
K- 2 Great way to talk about graphing, addition, subtraction and arrays!
Janice Redding
I like this book, and I believe that it would be great for a Kindergarten math lesson. It used m&m's as a hands on activity to teach about colors, shapes, counting, and sorting. As a teacher, I can implement a math lesson about sorting, grouping, adding, subtracting, and counting by twos. In addition, I can use this book to teach a science lesson about m&m's, and how long it takes to loose the colored m on the chocolate candy. This would be a fun integrated lesson for math and science. O ...more
Zim
Oh how I just wish that I have this book when I was a child... :'(
Anita
This book helps children start to learn different ways to see 12. 12 is a difficult for students to become familiar with. Not only does this book show you different ways to make 12, it actually uses M&Ms as a manipulative. I would use this book to create a fun lesson introducing the kids to 12. What kid wouldn't want pick up book and learn? Making Math fun is one way to make sure that students learn to love Math at an early age.
Faith Barron
This book is great way to make learning math fun with using M&M's as manipulatives. As you turn each page it shows different colors, shapes and numbers. The book focuses on sets of 12, so the students could practice grouping or multiplication. Using the M&M's gives the students a chance to use fun manipulatives, for grouping making the shapes they see in the book, in the activity and get a treat in the end.
Oanh
This book is a fun and sweet way of using M&M's as a manipulative. As you turn each page, it reinforces concepts of colors, shapes, and numbers. It also touches on sets of 12 which can be translated into "ways to make 12" or it can help a child visualize multiplication problems (with 12 as the product) as sets or groups. Although it lacks a plot, the pages can be used as math placemats for students.
Megan
While this book isn't the most fascinating in terms of its writing or its illustrations, it definitely would keep kids engaged. Candy is a great motivator and IF the kids didn't eat their math manipulatives right away, they would have a great little lesson incorporating addition, subtraction, and some beginning geometry. I would probably use this as a whole group lesson and start with maybe grade 2 or 3.
Shamilah Gillani
I love any math activity that incorporates food! This is another great hands-on activity for students to practice their counting, this time with M&Ms. I would implement this book for my students to practice making shapes, counting, addition, subtraction, multiplication, grouping, sorting, and graphing. Students can practice all these skills with the help of this book and have tons of fun while doing math!
Thomas Hogle
I would have loved this book when in my early school years, M&M's are a great way to learn how to count, and how to do simple math. This book however does not go into math, it is good for learning to count and it teaches simple shapes all with the color of the delicious chocolate. I would recommend this book to any teacher, but it is an interactive book that could get out of hand.
This is not my favorite book, but my girls would definitely give it 5 stars! It is asked for multiple times a day - we have never read it the 'right' way, using actual M&Ms for counting, but they love it just the same. Teaches colors and a few basic shapes as well as counting from 1-12.
Robin Heimann
Sep 26, 2008 Robin Heimann rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robin by: My sister
This is a fun book to help teach kids numbers and sorting. The kids love it because they get candy. I use the tiny M&M's so they don't get as much sugar. You could also use colored chips of paper. It is a good book for younger grade classrooms. The kids I have read it to have enjoyed it.
Rita
This book can be used to teach colors, shapes, numbers, sets, and rhyming. It also discusses the three common shapes, a circle, square and a triangle. The students can follow along with m&m's and at the end they can be rewarded because when they subtract that means they can eat it!
Ashleigh
This yummy counting book teaches numbers and three primary shapes: the square, circle, and triangle.

Fun way to do math. Challenging if you cannot have food in your school, but might be an interesting inspiration to create their own math stories with manipulatives.
This book is GREAT, especially if you treat your students by providing them M&M's.

This book teaches students the numbers 1-12
It also teaches them colors and shapes.
As well as subtraction.

A GREAT way to introduce math in the classroom.
Amanda Mcentire
The M&M's Counting Books is great book for helping kids with counting, colors, and shapes. It is a fun interactive book and the kids get to play with their M&M's throughout the book. I love this book and you get to eat while going through it!
Denesha Allen
This book covers a plethora of basic concepts which include: counting, addition, subtraction etc. I really like the use of manipulatives in this book. Great for introducing basic concepts in math. Good for Kindergarten and First grade.
Kristy Haight
Interest Level: K-3
Reading Level: 1.7

Subjects:
Counting.
Color.

Notes: Cover title.;On board pages. Teaches how to count to ten with colorful illustrations of M and M's candy.
Gaby Roman
I didn't really enjoy this book. I wouldn't use it in my class. The book seemed very boring and I don't think the concept could be taught very well with this short story.
Drew Paige
Great introduction for children learning how to count. This would be great to use along with real M&M's and they can count the candy they eat. Very useful and fun book.
Larry Carter
This is a great book to use to hook students interest in counting and colors. It also can help with planning fun activites in teaching.
Theresa
a good resource using intreguing items to focus children on counting, can be combined with real m & ms
Robin E.
A fun and delicious way to practice simple counting, skip counting, and simple multiplication.
Sharlene Spencer
A yummy way to teach numbers 1-12, colors, shapes and different ways to make sets of 12.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Hershey's Fractions
  • Counting Crocodiles
  • Spaghetti and Meatballs for All!
  • The Berenstain Bears on the Moon (Bright & Early Books)
  • Itchy, Itchy Chicken Pox
  • Fraction Action
  • 1-2-3 Peas
  • Food For Thought
  • What Moms Can't Do
  • Winnie-the-Pooh and Some Bees carousel book (Winnie-the-Pooh Carousel Book)
  • 1, 2, 3 to the Zoo
  • Math For All Seasons
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • A Remainder of One
  • I Love Bugs!
  • Down Comes the Rain
  • The Giant Carrot
  • The Quilt Story
The Little Red Elf The Little Green Witch More M&M's Brand Chocolate Candies Math Teddy Bear Counting The Little Gray Bunny