Start by marking “Kavik the Wolf Dog” as Want to Read:
Kavik the Wolf Dog

Kavik the Wolf Dog

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  799 ratings  ·  55 reviews
A wolf-dog instinctively travels 2000 miles from Washington to Alaska to return to the boy who once saved his life.
Published April 1st 1997 by Puffin (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Kavik the Wolf Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kavik the Wolf Dog

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
My Favorite Childhood books
174th out of 452 books — 314 voters
The Keeper and the Rune Stone by Paige W. PendletonThe Keeper and the Alabaster Chalice by Paige W. PendletonThe Adventures of Tempest & Serena by Marty Mokler BanksA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleThe Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Books my niece might enjoy
62nd out of 153 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Robin
4.5 stars, and a favorite since I first read it in the sixth grade.

Not at all PC, but don't shy away from this book because of that.(view spoiler)

This is basically a variation of Lassie Come-Home, (view spoiler) only set in Alaska, and is I think a stronger story. I've only read Lassie once, and Kavik a number of times; b
Starry
I love this book, to say the least. I know it by heart.

This man, Charlie One-Eye, raises sled dogs, and one year he has a litter of wolf-dog puppies to raise. He chooses the biggest and strongest out of them, which he then calls Kavik, which means wolverine, and tells him he has to be mean like the wolverine, not like the wolf. So he raises him, and then when he's ready he joins the Itcherrod and wins with Kavik running lead. A man sees him, and wants to buy him. So the next day, he goes and bu
Sinclair
Read this when I was a child and it sayed with me for many years. It was one of my very favorite books. Have read it again to my children and it remains a favorite.
R. G. Nairam
This was a childhood favourite of mine. I'm not sure why I liked it so much, but it does have some charm to it.
Jayden Hartlaub
I love the book so much. I read it in 5 grade as a read aloud in my reading group. I'm still in love with it.
Mazzou B
When I read this as a teen I wrote that it was ''Good. Touching. Inspiring.''
Amanda Elliott Smith
I read this when I was like... 10. And I was super into horse and wolf books, so I definitely loved it. I recently recommended it to a friend for her daughter (she wanted something NOT about boys and crushes).
Rebecca
When I was approx 7-9 years old, I had an imaginary friend named Kavik. He was, indeed, a wolf dog. I considered him my best friend. I still maintain that he was my best friend during that period of time when he lived in my mind.

My Kavik is, for all intents and purposes, deceased, but I still have dear memories of him, as with any loved one who dies. I didn't know I got him from a story until I recently stumbled across knowledge of this book's existence.

This one gets five stars, hands down.
Emma
This book is a pretty sweet story about a dog/wolf, named Kavik, bred for dog sledding, tough, hard, and no love or sediment. But as Kavik, is sold and transported to a new location, the plane crashes and Kavik is found injured by a young boy who longs for companionship. A bond grows between them and both of them discover the true meaning of friendship and dedication, over many, many miles.
Kristen Smith
This is a story about a dog/wolf mix who travels 2000 miles to return to the boy who saved his life--just like the synopsis says. What the synopsis doesn't say is how wonderful and detailed the writing is. It is a story of survival and coming of age for both dog and boy--they each learn to make a place for themselves in the world. I would recommend this book to anyone age 8 and up.
Kaylee Gebhardt
it sucked, the movie was worse
My favorite book in 3rd grade. I read it in one weekend, elbows propped on my pillow, a kink in my neck, and a flashlight between my teeth. I became so obsessed with it that I even considered 'not returning it' to my school library... i was so attached. But I did return it. And then I read everything else Walt Morey ever wrote. But this was by far the best.
Denise Ramos
I loved this book so much as a child that I learned everything I could about wolves. I even wrote to David Mech when I was 12 asking how to become an animal behavioralist. I eventually gave up on the idea, but I still grew up to be a scientist. My love of wolves has never faded and I sport a howling wolf tattoo on my left shoulder that I got as soon as I turned 18.
Jodi
Jun 21, 2012 Jodi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I still have my beloved copy from childhood when I first fell in love with Kavik. Now, I have introduced him to my children and they rooted for him to find his away across 2000 miles of icy, steep terrain to return to the boy who loves him and who he loves too. A dog story with all the odds against him...........Sigh! Gotta love it!
Phylicia
I haven't read this book since elementary school, but I've never forgotten it. I still base all my roleplay wolfdogs off Kavik and his beautiful story. Any book that I still remember nearly twelve years after I read it deserves more stars than I'm allowed to give.

I never forgot the title, and I'll never forget the story.
Kenna Blaylock
I've been trying to find this book for years. I read it once when I was in the 5th grade, and I've never been able to find it since. I finally did! The story has stuck with me over 10 years later, and what a wonderful story it is. This book is a great read, no matter your age. I'd recommend it to any animal lover.
Kara
This book is about a dog named Kavik. He won the north american and George C. Hunter bought him. But the plane crashed and a boy named andy found him. but when geogre comes and gets kavik, kavik will stop at nothing to get home to andy! this book will keep you turning the pages! its trilling!
Mrs. Luetje's Purple People Eaters
Oct 02, 2008 Mrs. Luetje's Purple People Eaters rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anybody that knows a good book!
Recommended to Mrs. Luetje's Purple People Eaters by: I just found it
This book was the best book ive ever read! It is easy to understand and seems like it could happen in real life for sure. It just kinda dragged me in from begging to end it was entertaining and didnt take forever to get to the point. Best book in the world for sure with no competition!
Inkdaub
The story of Kavik the Wolf Dog is a great favorite from my childhood. It details Kavik's separation from his family and the adventures he gets into as he crosses the world to find them again. Great book for animal lovers and dog owners will specifically get quite a lot from this one.
Hannah
Mar 11, 2011 Hannah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone, this is an amazing book.
I read this book in fifth grade but i still remember every part in it. This book is my favorite book in the world, even though it starts off slow it builds up and turns into an awesome adventure about Kavik the wolf/dog and seeing if he will make it home to his true owner.
Charles
I enjoyed it, but it was very predictable. Of course, I'm over fifty now and have read many of these types of books. I probably would have liked it better as a kid. Enjoyable, but it still wasn't outstanding for this kind of tale, about a boy and his dog.
Donna Hunt
Great story about a wolf-dog and the incredible odds he went thru to be with the ones he loved, coupled with good facts about wolves, dog-sledding, and the plight of wolves concerning hunting..good moral plot with and educational for kids.
Mrs Bond
A fine story, well written and even somewhat engaging. Abandoned because there was simply too many other books that needed to be read at the time. My tween daughter loved it, and is still disappointed that I didn't make it past chapter 4.
Nicolesan
i absolutely loved this book! It was one of my absolute favorite books for years and years, and i would recommend it to any young reader looking for a story about the unbreakable bonds of love. Wonderful, beautiful story.
Marc
Has it moments, but overall not that great. Too predictable.
For some reason, it kept reminding me of White Fang / Call of the Wild, which was way better (and less predictable) in any case.
Lisa
Dec 08, 2008 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: Mrs. Wright, my 4th grade teacher
My fourth grade teacher read this to us. I have such fond memories of it. Read other people's reviews. My review consists mostly of the fact that it captivated my attention for weeks on end.
Robin
I loved this story when I read it at about 9 or 10 yrs old. I named my little 1/2 black lab 1/2 German shepherd puppy Kavik, because he so resembled the dog with the curling tail on the cover!
Gene Fiebich
Probably the first real book of any substance I ever read - I think I was 8. A story about a boy and his dog and the great outdoors. I was hooked from the very beginning!
Hannah
This is one of my favorite books from elementary school. I recently re-read it and fell in love with the story all over again.

Its a great story about a boy and his dog.
Kay
What ever you do don't watch the movie. The movie is afull comepared to the book. This is an awesome adventer of a wolf and a boy. Who ever made the movie did a bad job.
  • Outlaw Red
  • The Wolfling: A Documentary Novel of the Eighteen-Seventies
  • Child of the Wolves
  • Vulpes the Red Fox
  • Gypsy from Nowhere (Gypsy, #1)
  • Baree: The Story of a Wolf-Dog