Start by marking “Kavik the Wolf Dog” as Want to Read:
Kavik the Wolf Dog

Kavik the Wolf Dog

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,076 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
A wolf-dog instinctively travels 2000 miles from Washington to Alaska to return to the boy who once saved his life.
Published April 1st 1997 by Puffin Books (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Kavik the Wolf Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kavik the Wolf Dog

Amanda
Feb 24, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it
I read this when I was like... 10. And I was super into horse and wolf books, so I definitely loved it. I recently recommended it to a friend for her daughter (she wanted something NOT about boys and crushes).
Robin
Feb 28, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
4.5 stars, and a favorite since I first read it in the sixth grade.

Not at all PC, but don't shy away from this book because of that.(view spoiler)

This is basically a variation of Lassie Come-Home, (view spoiler) only set in Alaska, and is I think a stronger story. I've only read Lassie once, and Kavik a number of times; b
Starry
Oct 26, 2008 Starry rated it it was amazing
I love this book, to say the least. I know it by heart.

This man, Charlie One-Eye, raises sled dogs, and one year he has a litter of wolf-dog puppies to raise. He chooses the biggest and strongest out of them, which he then calls Kavik, which means wolverine, and tells him he has to be mean like the wolverine, not like the wolf. So he raises him, and then when he's ready he joins the Itcherrod and wins with Kavik running lead. A man sees him, and wants to buy him. So the next day, he goes and bu
John Maxim
Feb 04, 2016 John Maxim rated it really liked it
I read this book once when I was 10, and then did a book report on it every year until I graduated high school and even did a paper on it in college. Reading it again 25 years later, I'm even more impressed with myself... it's great for just okay in your 30's.
Alyse
Feb 14, 2016 Alyse rated it it was amazing
When my son picked up this book in a second hand book shop, I wasn't too keen on reading it. While I enjoyed the author's other works (eg Gentle Ben), these aren't my typical read. However, when we started, I was hooked. Though obviously a story of a bygone era and devoid of the fantastical elements of today's young readers books, the tale of Kavik is as heart warming as it is heart wrenching. It's impossible not to fall in love with this wolf-dog; to root for him, ache with him. I know we'll re ...more
napstablook
Mar 02, 2016 napstablook rated it it was amazing
its so good i recomend it to anyone who likes animals
M Harris
Jan 23, 2016 M Harris rated it it was amazing
serena482*
this was a really good book!! :) it is about a dog, but that didn't bother me. Kavik knows nothing of love and compassion, he is a sled dog bred half wolf, but things will soon change for him again and again. i did think the mating of the dog was a little strange, but i guess thats just me. :) all in all it was very anjoyable, i'm almost tempted to give it a (4.5) rating. :) ages 9 and up can read it. :)
Tristan Goding
Mar 15, 2016 Tristan Goding rated it liked it
This was a wonderful children's book, full of heart and life, about the loyalty of an animal and its trek to defy the odds and return to its owner who, selflessly, saved his life after finding him in a plane wreck. It's a pretty epic story, but there's plenty to appreciate and fall in love with, most especially the title character, and Andy, the teenager with a heart of gold. There are some intense moments here and there and some of the material is guaranteed to choke up any dog lover, but it's ...more
Misja Klimov
Apr 01, 2016 Misja Klimov rated it really liked it
This is my favourite book from my childhood. I highly recommend it to any kid that loves animals, adventures and a nice setting for an entertaining reading. I also revisited it years later and it's really heartwarming,
Alex Blackburn
Jan 20, 2016 Alex Blackburn rated it really liked it
Kavik the wolf dog shows the reader the life of a dog and their connection to the wild. You follow Kavik's adventures from his perspective and explore the many different regions of the world.
Sinclair
May 18, 2014 Sinclair rated it it was amazing
Read this when I was a child and it sayed with me for many years. It was one of my very favorite books. Have read it again to my children and it remains a favorite.
Nadina Torres
Dec 30, 2015 Nadina Torres rated it really liked it
Me leí este libro cuando era pequeña, hace muchos años, y a pesar de no recordar de qué trataba, recodaba que me encantó cuando me lo leí, así que me he decidido a volver a leerlo y sin duda, entiendo por qué me gustó tanto. Totalmente recomendado para las personas que sepan lo que es querer a un animal.
I.F. Adams
Mar 24, 2016 I.F. Adams rated it liked it
I remember reading it ages ago for a 3rd grade class. Other than that, I don't remember a damn thing. Put it on my 'shelf' for completions sake.
Betsy
Jun 17, 2016 Betsy rated it really liked it
Haven't read it (yet), but 10 yo daughter loved it. It's the first book that made her cry (so you know there's a sad part about an animal!)
Alyssa
Dec 31, 2015 Alyssa rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-fiction
I had forgotten how much I liked this book.
Yes yes, this is another wolf, boy and his dog, story.

I guess I just liked the whole journey aspect. I sort of wish there was more to Kavik's previous life as a sled dog though. Also, how did Kavik know how to survive in the wild, other than the magical "he's part wolf, that's why" explanation we get for his exceptional behavior all the time? There were other slight distracting plot holes like this, but the story was still good.

I liked the little mor
R. G. Nairam
Dec 08, 2014 R. G. Nairam rated it liked it
This was a childhood favourite of mine. I'm not sure why I liked it so much, but it does have some charm to it.
Jayden
Nov 17, 2014 Jayden rated it really liked it
I love the book so much. I read it in 5 grade as a read aloud in my reading group. I'm still in love with it.
Danielle Gonzales
May 22, 2016 Danielle Gonzales rated it it was amazing
It is a good children's chapter book. This is one I read multiple times as a child.
Meghan
Apr 08, 2015 Meghan rated it really liked it
Shelves: dogs, kids-shelf
Another one of those books I loved as a kid and have dragged around since ;)
Mazzou B
Dec 24, 2014 Mazzou B rated it really liked it
When I read this as a teen I wrote that it was ''Good. Touching. Inspiring.''
C.B. Cook
Jun 02, 2015 C.B. Cook rated it it was amazing
OHMYGRAVY THIS BOOK. This is one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES. <3
Emily
Mar 26, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
Another fantastic Walt Morey classic. Enjoyed it greatly.
Kaitlyn
Sep 19, 2015 Kaitlyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood
Loved loved LOVED this book!
Rebecca
Sep 28, 2007 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lonely children
When I was approx 7-9 years old, I had an imaginary friend named Kavik. He was, indeed, a wolf dog. I considered him my best friend. I still maintain that he was my best friend during that period of time when he lived in my mind.

My Kavik is, for all intents and purposes, deceased, but I still have dear memories of him, as with any loved one who dies. I didn't know I got him from a story until I recently stumbled across knowledge of this book's existence.

This one gets five stars, hands down.
Emma
Oct 01, 2008 Emma rated it really liked it
This book is a pretty sweet story about a dog/wolf, named Kavik, bred for dog sledding, tough, hard, and no love or sediment. But as Kavik, is sold and transported to a new location, the plane crashes and Kavik is found injured by a young boy who longs for companionship. A bond grows between them and both of them discover the true meaning of friendship and dedication, over many, many miles.
Kristen Smith
Aug 16, 2012 Kristen Smith rated it really liked it
This is a story about a dog/wolf mix who travels 2000 miles to return to the boy who saved his life--just like the synopsis says. What the synopsis doesn't say is how wonderful and detailed the writing is. It is a story of survival and coming of age for both dog and boy--they each learn to make a place for themselves in the world. I would recommend this book to anyone age 8 and up.
Kaylee Gebhardt
Feb 12, 2014 Kaylee Gebhardt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
it sucked, the movie was worse
Aug 23, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-alouds
My favorite book in 3rd grade. I read it in one weekend, elbows propped on my pillow, a kink in my neck, and a flashlight between my teeth. I became so obsessed with it that I even considered 'not returning it' to my school library... i was so attached. But I did return it. And then I read everything else Walt Morey ever wrote. But this was by far the best.
Denise Ramos
Jul 02, 2012 Denise Ramos rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much as a child that I learned everything I could about wolves. I even wrote to David Mech when I was 12 asking how to become an animal behavioralist. I eventually gave up on the idea, but I still grew up to be a scientist. My love of wolves has never faded and I sport a howling wolf tattoo on my left shoulder that I got as soon as I turned 18.
  • Snow Dog
  • Magic in the Park
  • San Domingo: The Medicine Hat Stallion
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • Only One Woof
  • The Haunted Trail (Phantom Rider, #2)
  • Gypsy from Nowhere (Gypsy, #1)
  • Fire Pony
  • Savage Sam (Old Yeller, #2)
  • Stealing Thunder