Holy Bible: NIV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible

Holy Bible: NIV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible

4.64 of 5 stars 4.64  ·  rating details  ·  794 ratings  ·  81 reviews
The NIV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible provides a theological conservative, balanced system of notes and articles that trace the Reformed Christian heritage back to its roots in the Reformation. Appropriate for both an academic and an informed lay audience, this Bible incorporates extensive study notes, as well as articles, charts, and graphs, that comment on Script...more
Published July 28th 2003 by Zondervan Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Holy Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Bible

Amy
Feb 19, 2008 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in learning about Jesus.
Recommended to Amy by: My husband, who had the KJV Geneva Study Bible for years.
I got this study bible in 2006 after switching to the ESV translation a year or so prior. I have found the notes especially helpful, relevant to the text, and decidedly Reformed- without apology. I would recommend this study bible to any Christian whether they are new converts or have been walking with the Lord for many years. My only complaint is that the chapter and verse headings for each page (starting verses for each) are in the center of the top of the page and not on the edge, making thum...more
David
Eternal life giving!

I got the ESV a couple of years ago for Christmas and it has since become my favorite translation of the Scriptures. This particular edition if formatted nicely and has helpful theological notes.
Jerry Levon
It is difficult to imagine how a Bible can be called a Reformation Bible when it departs from the textual and manuscript evidence of the Reformation. The changes in the underlying Greek of the New Testament, as well as deletions of entire verses of the ESV, ruin what could otherwise be an excellent tool for study. Political correctness is in force, and I believe R.C. Sproul knows better than to resort to this publisher's pressure in associating his name to the ESV, but perhaps the profit motive...more
Kurt
I used this Bible for (almost) daily readings for a little over two years, and I love it. The ESV translation is a good one for study, as it is a bit less conversational than the NIV but still quite readable, and this study Bible has plenty of helpful information. There is a clear agenda on the part of the editors, as every verse that could possibly point to limited atonement and specific election is highlighted and explained, and baptism of infants as a sign of covenant is drawn from a variety...more
Rob
This will remain on my currently-reading shelf as the foundation of Christianity and a complete and full accounting of the history of the world from creation through ~70 AD and beyond.

Now Reading: Micah - Chronological KJV using YouVersion Bible App.
If you have trouble sticking with something, I highly recommend the YouVersion Bible App for iPod/Phone or Android. Sign up for one of the reading plans and the app will even set a reminder alarm at the time you normally read which helped me to be co...more
John Jeffcoat iii
I deal in rare and ancient Bibles printed centuries ago, but for a "daily reader" or a personal study Bible... this is the one I recommend. Edited by Dr. R.C. Sproul (whose church I attended for about ten years), this study Bible is in the English Standard Version, which is widely considered by Christian scholars to be the most accurate of the modern English translations, while still retaining a readable flow to the language. The commentary notes in this Bible are in keeping with those of the fa...more
David
You can tell this was hastily put together, I don't really understand why they have notations on some of the passages, it isn't overly coherent. The genuine leather burgundy binding is of solid quality, it's a good size to tote around, much unlike the ESV Study Bible.
Sheila
I am humbled by the journey just completed, inasmuch as I appreciate how little of what I've read I truly comprehended. I will do well to be in continuous study of the Bible, prayerfully and practically. God bless.
Denton
I love this Study Bible! It answers most of the difficult topics in the Bible concisely. My only criticism is I would like a few more notes!
Terri
Still used this my reading time in mornings .
Paul Bugriyev
It's good but not great.
Steven Crain
Mar 19, 2014 Steven Crain rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone - if they can't read, read it to them.
Recommended to Steven by: World Magazine Advertisment
Shelves: non-fiction
Mandy Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

One of the endorsements I read for this Bible said that this is the "Gold standard" in Bibles. I agree.

This Bible is the best study Bible I have yet to use. It is the flowing and easy-reading ESV version which is accurate and eloquent. On top of being a superb version, it contains wonderful study notes, articles, and commentary that make it not only a Bible, but a study tool. My favorite part is that this study Bible highlights the Word of God rather than any man's opinion as the contr...more
Allie
May 13, 2008 Allie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: christian, protestant
Shelves: devotional
I don't think that any christian should be without a study bible. The notes on this one are clear and comprehensive, and I have been getting so much more out of my devotions with the insights that they provide for each passage. I have owned both an NIV and ESV bible, and though both are excellent translations, I have to say that I prefer the NIV's style of translating. The ESV is a word-for-word translation (compared to the NIV, which translates by the idea of the passage), and because of that,...more
Gregg
This is a review of the "study" part of this edition--there is no need to "review" the inerrant scriptures. The strength of this text is that the notes are generally clear and concise. However, due to that they sometimes leave me wanting for greater depth, breadth, or both. I have also had instances where I have a question on verses that are not covered by the commentary at all. Overall, a well done work and vigorously Reformed, but I do prefer the ESV Study Bible for its more in-depth commentar...more
Paul
Very fine study Bible with notes and articles from the Reformed tradition. The ESV version is also an excellent version - with many Reformed theologians making up the ESV staff. The notes, and articles, are constructed from more than just a "Reformed" take on various topics, there is also much good insight to be had on many other issues calling for the fruit of solid exegetical study that all kinds of Christians can agree with, viz., Arminian and reformed, for example. The notes come from a thor...more
Jeff
The English Standard Version of the Bible has been, by far, my favorite version since it came on the scene somewhere around 2000. I find it to be easy to read, and very accurate (as far as I can tell, seeing that I know nothing about Greek and Hebrew). This particular study Bible incorporates notes edited by R.C. Sproul, a very brilliant Bible scholar and founder of Ligonier Ministries. As the title would suggest, the notes in this Bible hold fast to the "doctrines of grace."
Jonpaul Arth
English Standard Version is an Excellent "essentially literal" translation that seeks as far as possible to capture the precise wording of the original text and the personal style of each Bible writer. The Theological Notes by R. C. Sproul, Drs., Ph.D are Superb!
I use Prof. Horner's Bible-Reading System with this Bible to continually read GOD's word daily.

E
I learn many things from God through this book every day. I am trying to read several chapters a day, but quite often I put it off. This has been a big problem for me for years... I've never been able to read it cover to cover, although it has been my goal for 6 years. Hopefully, with God's help, I'll be able to do it this year... and then I start to read it again, because each time a read it, I learn something new, exciting, and thought-provoking!
Visal Sok
The Reformation Study Bible (ESV) is the way to go. I have many translations of the Bible but I have chosen to study through this one because it gives a word for word translation from the original Greek text. In addition, the study notes give a solid Bible founation of understanding scripture as a whole. The editors stands firm on its literal meaning of text. Would recommend it to all students of the Bible.
Sally
I followed the Robert Murray M'Cheyne reading plan this year, which means that I read through the Old Testament once and the New Testament twice. Every time I read the Bible I get something new out of it. It is truly the best book I've ever read. It is a delight to be teaching it to the women in my Precept study and the teenage girls in our Young Twigs group. Taste and see that the Lord is good!

Faith
What can I say? It is the Bible, God's Holy Word. This particular copy that I have is the Daily Reading Bible, Through the Bible in a Year. True I am picking it up midway through the year, but it has the dates marked clearly and there are plenty of options. It does not have all the options my study Bible has, but I bought this one for the one year plan and it was on sale at a good price.
Mike
The ESV is very readable, and at the same time true to the text. This is not a watered down Bible for those who just can't find the time to be interested enough to read it. The study notes are excellent, and R.C. Sproul did a great job collecting the scholars who contributed to them as well as the articles and outlines. This is my every day and every Sunday Bible.
Brandon
I was so excited for this Bible when it came out but was very disappointed. In my opinion, the annotations are not as good as the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible although the ESV is a better translation. It is also missing the latter's Reformed Doctrinal Standards at the back which I find very useful.
Jude Cooney
Currently reading. I find this version of the Bible very easy to follow with numerous cross references and insights to help along the way. An amazing amount of time and effort went into this work; of that I have no doubt. Recommended to all those who have a love for God's word. Definitely a Pilgrim's needed friend.
D. L.
This is a wonderful study bible for the christian beliver. Formerly known as the New Geneva Study Bible; it is pact with great truths and sound doctrine. I also like it because it is as close as you can get to the original text per Greek and Hebrew.
Peter Bourdeau
Apr 10, 2009 Peter Bourdeau rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Peter by: Scott Adams at desert life Church in Scottsdale, AZ
I have always wanted to read the Bible. I was given this Bible by Pastor Scott Adams of Desert Life Church located in Scottsdale, Arizona.

The Golden Rule is the lesson to be drawn.

The rest is a scam to get 10% out of you.

How appropriate.
Courtney Stillwell
This version of the Bible is by far my favorite because the editors are people like R.C. Sproul and J.I. Packer and even Edmund Clowney (Laurel's grandfather). It's notes and references are so informative and follow closly to doctrine of PCA.
Al
The ESV is, indeed, a superior translation, and this study bible has some outstanding articles and features, all in the Reformed tradition. Many of the theological articles can also be found in J.I. Packer's Concise Theology.
Jane
Whichever. I've read several versions, several times over.
You really need to read it a few times, cover to cover, as literature, not as a rule for life, otherwise, you get stuck and don't really absorb what it's saying.
Christian Goodrea...: Jesus use of parables 1 4 Aug 20, 2014 08:42PM
  • Westminster Confession Of Faith (1646-7) (and the Larger and Shorter Catechisms, Directories for Public and Private Worship, Form of Presbyterial Church Government, the Sum of Saving Knowledge, National Covenant and the Solemn League and Covenant)
  • Essential Truths of the Christian Faith
  • The Christian Life: A Doctrinal Introduction
  • Systematic Theology
  • The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions
  • Van Til's Apologetic, Readings and Analysis
  • God's Passion for His Glory: Living the Vision of Jonathan Edwards (with the Complete Text of the End for Which God Created the World)
  • Christian Apologetics 2nd Ed
  • Thoughts for Young Men
  • The Masculine Mandate: God's Calling to Men
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights The Epic of Gilgamesh Holy Bible: New International Version The Bhagavad Gita