Start by marking “Ramses: The Son of the Light (#1)” as Want to Read:
Ramses: The Son of the Light (#1)

Ramses: The Son of the Light (Ramsès #1)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,597 Ratings  ·  190 Reviews
* The first volume of the bestselling five-part fictional biography of Egypt's most glamorous Pharaoh, THE SON OF THE LIGHT.
Mass Market Paperback, 360 pages
Published 1998 by Pocket Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Ramses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ramses

Mo
Apr 27, 2008 Mo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overrated-drivel
This is one of the worst books I've ever read. People eating croissants and calling on the police in ancient Egypt is bad enough, but the black and white portrayal of the characters and the stilted writing (though that may have been bad translation, I dunno) killed the book completely.
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
I read this series in turkish when I was in high school and I remember it blew my mind. Not only because I'm an Egypt fan but also it was written quite beautifully. It was extremely engaging and I remember I couldn't put it down until the whole series was over, and there were five books if I remember correctly- it was a long time ago, am I getting old?
I always felt like I could read this seres over and over again, except perhaps for the final book which was the most heartbreaking. It took me lo
Samantha
Mar 18, 2009 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't even begin to remember where I heard about this book but boy am I glad that I did. I was entranced by this novel which is about Ramses before he became king of Egypt. It begins with the first time that Ramses meets his father, the Pharoah of Egypt and Ramses is fourteen years old. From then on Ramses is never sure if his father is training him to be the next Pharoah or whether his destiny might lie as something other than king. The book continues on with the struggles that Ramses faces a ...more
Josephine
Jul 30, 2011 Josephine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
28th June 20011.

I loved this book. I am unable to resist anything Egyptian and Christian Jacq is one of the best authors I have read in this particular genre. He takes the facts that we know to be true from discoveries about the ancient Egyptian race. He blends historical fact, with what we belive to be the way ordinary people of the time lived and then adds his wonderful imagination to fill in any gaps. He weaves a story of the great Seti and his relationship with his family and how he prepared
Graham
Jul 20, 2010 Graham rated it liked it
A few mixed feelings about this book, the first in a five-part series chronicling the life of one of the great Egyptian Pharaohs. For starters, it's an exceptionally easy read. It's been translated from the French in a very simplistic style (even more so than the translations of Valerio Massimo Manfredi) which makes flying through the pages pretty effortless.

Unfortunately, this simple style is also the book's downfall. It's an extremely straightforward and rather shallow novel, occupied with tel
Elizabeth
Feb 16, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who like reading about ancient Egypt; light readers
Although this book isn't as half awful as its sequels, it's still pretty damn awful. Maybe the author isn't to blame; it could be just a case of poor translation into English which explains its flat prose and cringingly bad dialogue. If not, I'm amazed at how Jacq is able to get these books published. His history's pretty much on the money - I won't deny I learned quite a lot about Ancient Egypt just from reading these novels, but in that case maybe the guy (a respected Egyptologist, I later fou ...more
God's Eye Galateea
Feb 14, 2013 God's Eye Galateea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-eons
I was in middle school when i bought this book and read it in the same day. In fact, i read the entire collection that day from early morning to late evening, 12 hours of nonstop reading and i didn't regret one second of it. It was a miracle that they translated it into Romanian, because honestly speaking, i don't get on well with French and French doesn't get on well with me.I haven't reread this book since then, but to my 12-13 year old brain, this book (and the others from the Ramses Series) ...more
Anne Hawn Smith
Apr 23, 2010 Anne Hawn Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, egypt
This was an excellent story of the great Pharaoh, Ramses II. While it is clearly fiction, most of the action is consistent with what is known about him. It probably presents him as a more sympathetic ruler than he was, but captures his boldness and shrewd management of Egypt.

The action is told from the point of view of Ramses, his older brother who was passed over in favor of him, and his 4 friends from school, including the Biblical Moses. In this case, however, Moses was not raised in the pala
Calle
Jun 22, 2015 Calle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Great historical fiction will make you feel like you were there in history. Though you know the author used his imagination and artistic licence, you can believe this may be what happened and this may be how the historical characters felt. But this illusion will only work if the author can estblish some connection to this historical time and place and the historical characters that feels authentic, and this is where "Ramses: Son of Light" fails. I was eager to read a novel about the rise of Rams ...more
Tracey Alley
Christian Jacq rarely disappoints with his Egyptian novels but, unfortunately, this series was not to his usual standard. While he has put the same amount of dedicated historical research into the novel he misses the mark a little on some of the more speculative areas.

The life of Ramses is fascinating and Jacq certainly manages to get that across but his speculations regarding Moses were, in my opinion, a little off the mark and not really supported by current Christian/Egyptian scholarship. Fo
Juli
Apr 15, 2015 Juli rated it did not like it
Shelves: ancient-egypt
This series is beyond awful, I don't even know where to begin! The style, the characters, the plot are all so simplistic it reads like a children's book, albeit a very bad children's book. Maybe some of that is due to the translation? I don't know.
Dawn
While the story included a few mystical aspects, which I generally prefer not to have, it did a great job of establishing a version of how Ramses II came to the throne.
The characters came across as a bit 2-D and not fully fleshed out but the atmosphere of the country and era were well done.
Some more obscure versions of events have been used, which make the story a bit curious but I thought it was a great start to Ramses life. I can see why the author finds this Pharaoh a good subject to write a
May 17, 2016 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings. Firstly, the English translation is over-simplified. I've heard that the French and Turkish versions are beautifully written, but the English version was just a little off, which is especially noticeable in some of the dialogue. Second issue I had with this is that the author seems not to have done any in-depth historical research on Ramses II. If you're reading this purely as a fictional indulgence, this is o.k. But if you're Egyptophile, even a novice one like me, the de ...more
Ruth
Jan 24, 2015 Ruth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, history
c1997: Pharoah, machinations, Moses, scribe, Nefertari. One of those books that I should have loved! Not so, I'm afraid. Did I perhaps miss that this was written for children or for people with absolutely no general knowledge whatsoever? Sadly, one of my flaws is that I had never heard of Graham Hancock who reviews/reviewed this book for the Daily Mail. He found it 'extremely hard to put down'. So, I looked up his website in which it is modestly stated "author of the major international bestsell ...more
Luciana Darce
Jul 23, 2014 Luciana Darce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Acho que já contei essa anedota, mas vou relembrá-la assim mesmo... À época em que conheci essa coleção, ela ainda estava sendo publicada. Devo ter passado uns dois anos esperando até chegar ao final, numa época em que eu tinha de esperar até meu aniversário ou natal para ganhar livros, em vez de comprá-los na pré-venda em inglês com seis meses de antecedência, como faço hoje em dia (ai, meu deus...).

O caso é que dois anos e cinco livros depois, ao chegar ao final da história e da vida de Ramsés
Nick
Apr 27, 2014 Nick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this more. After all, it's a book about Ramses - probably the best known Pharoah, after Tutankhamen. He's interesting, if just for the fact that he made thousands of statues of himself.

Unfortunately, I had a hard time getting attached to any of the characters. Not even Ramses himself. For some reason, all of the characters felt slightly distant. I just couldn't connect with them.

Maybe it's the translation? Because there were a lot of grammatical errors which were clearly trans
Sam
I generally enjoy anything fictional with an Ancient Egyptian setting, so I was looking forward to reading this. I've seen Jacq's books around for years, but just hadn't gotten around to reading them before.

This first book in Jacq's Ramses series covers nine years of Ramses' life starting at age 14. While there were some interesting bits and pieces about life in Egypt at that time, I didn't find the story to be particularly exciting. It's just a rolling narrative of "What Ramses Did Next." When
Stefania Siano
Non so se il romanzo si trovi con i reali fatti storici, ma l'ho trovato una piacevole lettura.
Dominika Kaníková
Oh finally, this took me forever, i guess not every book of 150 pages can be read in one day, well you learn from day to day but when something is boring you will avoid it as much as you can. Now finally i can delete this from my kindle and move on . Not that i hate it. I just wasn't interested in the story at all. Wow and 4 more books in front of me ....hmmm next year maybe.
Amanda
Mar 20, 2008 Amanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read about seven chapters into this book and just couldn't force it upon myself any longer. It looked promising, but the plot is--for lack of a better word--cheesy and the dialogue is just plain terrible. It was also poorly researched.
Bottom line: bad writing, IMO.

Perhaps this author should be writing for a younger audience rather than adults. Take out the sexual content and it could be easily marketed toward the 12+ age group.
Asja
Jul 01, 2015 Asja rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is really bad. I gave it 2 stars because it was amusing, but I hate the black and white portrayal of the characters.
Example :
Henar could go on with his evil plotting against his little brother.
Amm... What?
Ramses's mother, father best friend and himself are all te saints, without ANY flaws, but his brother and those 2 other characters I won't name who turn out evil by the end of the book are demons.
Characters are 2 dimensional, predictable and uninteresting. The author did not portray t
Abdul Malik
Jul 26, 2014 Abdul Malik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book Ramses the Son of the Light is about the Egyptians. This book is written by Christian Jacq who is a World leading Egyptologist and the author of the series Ramses an international bestselling series. This book is about a boy Ramses who is the younger of Seti the Pharaoh of also known as the Lord of the Two Lands. This book starts of by Seti testing
his Son Ramses by making him fight with a bull. Ramses passes the test.
The Royal family meaning the Pharaoh's family includes Pharaoh Seti,
Dark-Draco
Feb 08, 2016 Dark-Draco rated it it was ok
Shelves: historic-fiction
Ancient history is one of my 'things' - I've been fascinated by the Egyptians since I was young, so was really looking forward to this book. However, I was a bit disappointed.

It follows a young Ramses as he grows up and learns to except his destiny as the next pharaoh. There's a lot of politics and plots by his brother and sister, and a weird little sub-plot involving some substandard ink.

I did read to the end, which is something, but found the writing style very dry, sparse and with little to r
Paul
A fluffy, medium-quality ride through an imagined Egypt that is an easy indulgence lacking philosophical depth and complexity, but which is like a gentle escalator ride through a tenuously historical theme park. I find it hilarious seeing reviews where people rant about the series' lack of historical veracity, as that is ultimately beside the point, but any critique pointing out the lack of depth or literary refinement would not be amiss. Still, I am heartily enjoying this log-boat ride through ...more
Kisholi
This was horrible. Admittedly, I read the English translation (maybe the original in French is better? obviously I will never know) and the language was so juvenile that I couldn't finish it (even Harry Potter was more mature than this!). As if that wasn't bad enough, the characters were blatantly one-dimensional and the plot (if you can call it that) cheesy and predictable. Overall, useless drivel.
Iret1
Oct 27, 2012 Iret1 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could tell a man wrote these books. Overall I enjoyed the stories and the historical setting but it took me awhile to get through the books just due to the lack of feeling more emotionally attached to the characters. I read these after Michelle Moran's books, which I was able to connect to her characters and enjoyed her story telling more.
Cassandra Kay Silva
I have not read anything so poorly written in a long time. The subject matter itself should have redeemed this book, but it was so terribly worded. Any book about this time period that features the words "Touche" and "Cheif of Police" just needs a complete re edit. The characters were flat and terrible. The book was simply drivel.
Helen
Oct 26, 2009 Helen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really tried to like this book, but after 120 pages, I put it down and I have no desire to read anymore. There really just isn't any substance, it's very thin. Maybe it's the translation but I just couldn't get into it. Life is too short to read books you don't like.
Alisha
Feb 22, 2016 Alisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars - I really enjoyed this book although I wished that the characters were fleshed out a bit more, I didn't feel a connection to any of them, perhaps because of the multiple first person narrators, I felt that I didn't have the time to get attached to any one character.
The last 50 or so pages of the book dragged on a bit and I know this is the first in a series but I wish the story had been more resolved before ending. Also I found the addition of Helen of Troy and Menalaus to the story
  • The Twelfth Transforming
  • The Mask of Ra (Amerotke, #1)
  • Nefertiti: The Book of the Dead (Rai Rahotep, #1)
  • King and Goddess
  • Die Puppenspieler
  • The Ides Of March
  • The Seventh Scroll (Ancient Egypt, #2)
  • Servant of the Gods
  • Il cuore di Derfel
  • A Curse of Silence (Lieutenant Bak, #4)
Christian Jacq is a French author and Egyptologist. He has written several novels about ancient Egypt, notably a five book suite about pharaoh Ramses II, a character whom Jacq admires greatly.

Jacq's interest in Egyptology began when he was thirteen, and read History of Ancient Egyptian Civilization by Jacques Pirenne. This inspired him to write his first novel. He first visited Egypt when he was s
More about Christian Jacq...

Ramsès (5 books)
  • Ramses: The Eternal Temple (Ramses, #2)
  • Ramses: The Battle of Kadesh (Ramses, #3)
  • Ramses: The Lady of Abu Simbel (Ramses, #4)
  • Ramses: Under the Western Acacia (Ramses, #5)