Start by marking “Why Are You Doing This?” as Want to Read:
Why Are You Doing This?

Why Are You Doing This?

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  1,348 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Imagine a long-forgotten, never-produced Alfred Hitchcock "wrong man" thriller screenplay discovered, adapted and filmed by a modern minimalist like Jim Jarmusch and you'll have some idea of the unique flavor of Jason's latest graphic novel. The protagonist, a moody twenty-something wallowing in depression after a breakup with his long-time girlfriend, finds himself drawn ...more
Published June 17th 2005 by Fantagraphics (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Why Are You Doing This?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Are You Doing This?

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
294th out of 824 books — 1,566 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
496th out of 2,303 books — 5,409 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason
Sep 29, 2009 Jason rated it it was amazing
Only after having read nearly all of Jason's books have I begun to see some of the themes that run, to some degree, through all of them. There's almost always an ordinary character who, by accident or design, finds himself in extraordinary circumstances that he may or may not survive. Jason's stories tend not to have traditional happy endings, yet
I think that his work is very positive. Positive because these characters are becoming active decision makers rather than passive ones, even if the de
Imogen
Aug 17, 2008 Imogen rated it it was amazing
I think, from now on, my professional name under which I'll be publishing all my popular, classy and accomplished work will be: Melissa.

I've never read Jason before, even though- obviously- he is very famous and popular. But he is a genius! I started it and I was like, oh, a mopey indie comic about a sad boy, HOW FUCKIN DROLL. But then his friend got knifed and I was like, oh! I didn't expect that. Then a bunch of other things happened and even though I don't really know anything about Alfred H
Elizabeth A
Jan 23, 2015 Elizabeth A rated it liked it
Shelves: graphix, 2015
The jacket copy and the description of this graphic novel give away too much of the plot, so I'd recommend skipping them and just reading the book. I picked this one up because I loved the cover art. This short story appears to be one thing on the surface, but is really about something else on a deeper level. I cannot say anything more without a spoiler warning, so all I'll say is that this a fun and quick read.
Seth T.
Jun 10, 2009 Seth T. rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The back cover of Why Are You doing This? describes the work as Hitchcockian. I suppose that's fair, but only in the most overt sense. On the surface, the graphic novelette is about murder and mistaken identity and a kind of cat-and-mouse between victim and victor. But that's only on the surface.

If someone asked, I'd say Why Are You Doing This? is about what it means to live, what makes a live worthwhile.

Alex has just been dumped and is struggling to make sense of life. And he's having a hard ti
Zack! Empire
Apr 06, 2013 Zack! Empire rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie-comics
The more and more of Jason's work I read, the more and more I like it. This book is so wonderful. It has the feel of being a Hitchcock thriller, dreamed up by Herge, but somehow drawn by Jason. It's that freaking good.
It was cool to see Jason working outside of a rigorous panel grid, as he seems to have done with the other works I've read. He has a good sense of how to break up a page. Also, because he was using more panels per page, to try and make it feel like Tintin, it's a much more dense s
Sam Quixote
Sep 20, 2011 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it
Jason, the superb writer/artist of such books as "I Killed Adolf Hitler" and "The Left Bank Gang" comes up with this book. The story about a man being forced on the run after being framed for murdering his friend and being chased by a mysterious hitman who did the killings. Why him? Why is he being chased? And why are they doing this?

Great artwork as always, Jason allows himself the use of dialogue in this book and so tension is built through the man on the run's interactions with members of th
Janina
Oct 10, 2015 Janina rated it really liked it
Jason tries his hand on the 'Clear My Name' plot that has been hashed and rehashed to death.

Indulge yourself in this book's great, colorful artwork and crisp dialogue. Jason's not really prone to wasting any panels.

Some of his anthologies are a bit of a hit-and-miss but his other novellas are always worth reading.
Liam
Feb 28, 2016 Liam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Stop reading anything about the plot, and sit still for a second.

This book is short and all blurbs on the back of the book or online give way too much away.
(As with all good experiences) enter blind.

This review will mention no plot content. This is as anti-spoiler as it comes.
------------------------

With this in mind, all I can write now is why you should read it without describing any plot events.
I have read no others by Jason, but a fair few other graphic novels recently. This is why I see thi
Leonardo
May 15, 2015 Leonardo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-digital, graphics
Mmm... creo que sé de alguien que DEBERÍA estar terminando su tesis.

Acá discrepo con el juanchi. Este es el que más me gustó de todos los que leí hasta ahora. Tiene más escrito, pero la historia... el final...
Ted Osborne
Aug 22, 2007 Ted Osborne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Not much to say that the book itself can't. Got it from the library and read it in about 12 minutes and then cried for about 10 minutes. One of the best things I've ever touched.
Knut Sigurd
Jan 02, 2016 Knut Sigurd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ekstremt bra.
Christopher
Jun 25, 2016 Christopher rated it really liked it
I didn't read the blurb before reading this. I also just finished reading Tell Me Something, which is presented as if someone took screen captures of a silent film and has like 7 lines of dialogue in the entire work.

I bring those two things up because as I started this story, I felt that it had a slow start. But I recognize that this is in part due to my actually having to read words instead of just look at pictures like in Tell Me Something, and being unsure if there was an action plot waiting
Bryce Holt
Sep 04, 2011 Bryce Holt rated it really liked it
Jason's "Why Are You Doing This?" weighs in at a mere 48 pages, but I can say without hesitation that it is a beautiful story (and homage to Hitchcock) that keeps you guessing what can possibly be next from page-to-page. When you think something is about to happen, Jason leads you down a completely different path. I loved main character, a self-centered character who is not even a shadow of who he was by the end of the piece. Very pleasant, surprising and another talented short story by one of t ...more
Dan
Jun 23, 2012 Dan rated it it was amazing
A real departure from the sparse dialogue and simple slapstick that usually characterizes Jason's deadpan work. Instead we are greeted with a Noir-esque narrative, Hitchcock style; and a very well put together one at that. A case of mistaken identity and the immediacy of being in the wrong place in the wrong time. If you didn't enjoy Jason's previous work because you prefer more complex narratives- you will most likely dig this. Very enjoyable read, and highly recommended.
David Schaafsma
Amazing storytelling. Scary, suspenseful. There are in this volume echoes of Hitchcock, yes, but with bizarre Jason elements thrown in. This guy is like the Coen Bros and Hitchcock in that in that he is interested in all sorts of storytelling, genres, techniques. . . dark humor sometimes undermining the seriousness. . . but he is a master at his craft. . . and Ingmar Bergman is mentioned in the same breath in some reviews, the darkness. . . that fits.
Ryan Werner
Oct 05, 2015 Ryan Werner rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Stylistically and thematically, Jason stories begin to go together in a sort of career arc. This one's a typically deadpan story about starting over and the ways we come to ends. There's relationships that start and stop and lives that do the same, and in the hands of Jason, that means lots of awkward panels with no dialogue and lots of musing over the ways we choose to live.
Frederick
Mar 28, 2013 Frederick rated it liked it
Very clean art with a interesting color palate. Jason's stories to me are kind of like a Twilight Zone episode. The story is quick, starts with a hook to suck you in and then has surprise twist at the end. I mean this in a good way, not in a derivative way. I still think I like "I Killed Adolph Hitler" a bit better but this was still a fun, quirky read.
Bill Kte'pi
Aug 08, 2014 Bill Kte'pi rated it really liked it
I discovered him late, but Jason has quickly become one of my favorite comics creators, after Alan Moore and Charles Burns. The appeal of Why Are You Doing This? isn't as obvious as something like an ageless musketeer, and at first it seems like it's just Hitchcock by way of Richard Linklater, but the last few pages really punch.
Rachel
Dec 19, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
I'm making my way through a few of Jason's books and while I'm interested in what he's doing here, I find myself wondering whether the tone of his books vary much from one to the other. This is kind of sad and grim, but not terribly...involved? I don't feel invested in these characters the way I feel like I ought to be.
Inder Suri
This guy,JASON, is a genius.

Now, Go and read all his work and don't miss a single book.
They will teach you something. They will touch your Heart somewhere.
And after reading a 50 page book (comic) which hardly takes half an hour to finish, You can spend days thinking about it.

sweet pea
Dec 13, 2010 sweet pea rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-content
Jason's illustrations are so very appealing. it would be impossible to hate them. the story is crime noir, with several cases of mistaken identity. it's a twisting plot with unexpected turns along the way. plus there's a rant about Dolly Parton. obviously this is an awesome book.
Ravi
Feb 19, 2013 Ravi rated it it was amazing
It's captivating Herge-like artwork caught my eye in the library, and I impulsively picked it up. And I'm so glad that I did. This book is brilliant! I really can't say much about it except, go and read it. You won't be disappointed.
Miles
Jan 01, 2013 Miles rated it liked it
I feel like my measure of how good a Jason book is should be how much it upsets me. So - really really good BUT crucially, not his saddest. Still great (and pretty sad) but a little simplistic compared to his best stuff.
Aditya Vipradas
Jul 06, 2016 Aditya Vipradas rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I like the way Jason introduces an abstract concept in the beginning, keeps on reinforcing it throughout the story and then reveals its purpose at the very end. He literally gives you goosebumps.
Anwar Vázquez
Oct 23, 2013 Anwar Vázquez rated it it was amazing
La ubico entre lo mejor que alguna vez leí. Es bella por las historias que cuenta sin decirlas, los silencios y connotaciones de lo que una diálogo implica. Muy recomendada con un final excelente.
Lukas Holmes
Feb 01, 2015 Lukas Holmes rated it it was amazing
I just don't understand how so much can be put into so few words and such simple drawings. Another terrific story that leaves me wanting more and feeling lost, alone and yet alive.
David Church
Sep 19, 2014 David Church rated it it was amazing
An amazing homage to the great Alfred Hitchock. Love Jason's work..I am trying to pace myself and not read all his stuff at one time, it's that good. Savor it....savor it!
Félix Soto
Aug 07, 2015 Félix Soto rated it really liked it
Shelves: cómics-leídos
Los cómics de Jason son de lo mejor para leer antes de dormir, se me está haciendo costumbre hacerlo.(No sé que haré cuando se me acaben las obras de J).
Freddy
Jan 19, 2015 Freddy rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous comic. I'm running out of ways to describe how glad I am to have discovered this creator.
James
Mar 14, 2014 James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Suspenseful and quick, but the last two pages — the final spread —are what really make the book shine. ...more
  • Isle of 100,000 Graves
  • Heartbreak Soup (Luba and Palomar, #1)
  • Dead End
  • Bookhunter
  • Tricked
  • The Fate of the Artist
  • The Frank Book
There are multiple authors with this single name, but Goodreads is unable to differentiate between them. The most prominent is the author below.

John Arne Sæterøy (born 16 May 1965 in Molde), better known by the pen name Jason, is a Norwegian cartoonist, known for his sparse drawing style and silent, anthropomorphic animal characters.

He has been nominated for two Ignatz Awards (2000: Outstanding St