Start by marking “Long Walks, Last Flights and Other Strange Journeys” as Want to Read:
Long Walks, Last Flights and Other Strange Journeys

Long Walks, Last Flights and Other Strange Journeys

With these 17 tales, Ken Scholes invites you to his Imagination Forest. You'll find a toy bear of Little Brain tasked with a Very Long Walk and a mysterious metal man with the power to bring down a city and the heart to weep for it. Follow Meriwether Lewis west, seeking the source of a mysterious scrap of currency from the future. Laugh and cry as Andro Giantslayer recount ...more
Published December 2008 by Fairwood Press

Be the first to ask a question about Long Walks, Last Flights and Other Strange Journeys

Alex Telander
Apr 02, 2009 Alex Telander rated it really liked it
LONG WALKS, LAST FLIGHTS AND OTHER STRANGE JOURNEYS BY KEN SCHOLES: Ken Scholes is the author of Lamentation, a five-book series called the Psalms of Isaak. For those looking for some other examples of Scholes’ writing (and if you read and loved Lamentation and need something else by him right away), then Long Walks, Last Flights and Other Strange Journeys is the book for you. Featuring sixteen stories and one novella, it is a great collection that shows the true range of this blossoming author, ...more
Deb
May 29, 2009 Deb rated it it was amazing
Short stories that are honestly short--no more than 10 pages each, for the most part.

And oh. my. goodness. SO DELICIOUS! I've been slowly savoring this book and re-checking it out (I should probably just buy it) because the story subjects run the gamut of anything and everything under the sun.

The story I'm reading right now is about a 52-year old Adolf Hitler set in an alternate history where Napoleon did conquer France, and in 1942 the atmosphere there is the same as our timeline's was in Germ
Kelly Flanagan
Aug 31, 2010 Kelly Flanagan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A reviewer is quoted as saying the only word to describe Ken Scholes is WOW. I have to agree. I sat in awe after having read this and realized I'd found a new Author to follow. This is a man to watch and read!
At the end of this menagerie of delight is a chance to walk thru his 'forest of imagination' read it! These stories are all the more intense after having walked between the redwoods of his mind.
Each of these stories are intense walks in absolutely different neighborhoods. Some are carefre
Angela
Feb 20, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing
As a rule, I don't usually purchase nor read short story collections. The ones that I have purchased are usually lacking in depth and I lose interest quickly. I also rarely write reviews but felt compelled to after reading "Long Walks, Last Flights & Other Strange Journeys".

I first discovered Ken Scholes'writing on Tor.com. I received an email regarding his story, "If Dragon's Mass Eve Be Cold And Clear" and, since it was a slow day at work, I thought I'd fill some time with it. I am so glad
Jenny T
Mar 22, 2011 Jenny T rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2011
I've enjoyed Ken Scholes's novels in the past, and his short stories hit more often than they missed. And when I say hit I mean HIT -- his writing is tight, enormously inventive, often strange, and leaves a lasting impact. My personal favorite in this collection was "Of Metal Men and Scarlet Thread and Dancing With the Sunrise" about a charismatic, remorseful automaton named Isaac who accidentally causes genocide. And "Last Flight of the Goddess", a tribute to the author's wife and Gary Gygax, w ...more
Russ
Oct 07, 2009 Russ rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Scholes' debut novel, Lamentation, so much that I decided to check out this anthology of short stories. It was fantastic. There were several superb stories in here that made me wish they were their own novels. The poorest stories of the bunch are still entertaining. Many are historical in nature (involving Meriweather Lewis, Hitler, and Houdini, to name a few), so I'd recommend it to history buffs as well as Scholes fans and fans of fiction in general. A great read!
Adam Shaeffer
Nov 11, 2009 Adam Shaeffer rated it it was amazing
This is a great collection of short stories. I enjoyed each of them, but especially loved the "Last Flight of the Goddess" and "Summer in Paris, Light from the Sky."

It inspired me to pick up my pen and start writing again, while daunting me at the same time. "Can I write stories as good as these?" I ask myself. I won't know until I try.
William Gerke
Jul 05, 2011 William Gerke rated it really liked it
A short story collection from the inimitable Ken Scholes. No duds in here, and a number of real gems, including his Hell stories, the two Santaman stories, and the last two, which are deeply moving pieces--one dangerous and one best described by Scholes as a love letter to his wife and Gary Gygax. Well worth the read.
Mike Smith
Jun 29, 2010 Mike Smith rated it liked it
Good read. Some of the short stories are weird, but all are well written. It is a good collection to read between novels. They are all pretty creative etc. Worth the money.
Jocelynne Broderick
Jan 24, 2009 Jocelynne Broderick marked it as skipped
Sadly, I just could NOT get into this! I gave it a couple tries. I think I read the first short story and it just wasn't my thing. :( Sorry!
Scj
Scj rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Sarah rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2010
Adam Gerson
Adam Gerson rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2012
Glshade
Glshade rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2009
Brian Smith
Brian Smith rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2010
Anya
Anya rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2010
Jessica Ophidia
Jessica Ophidia rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2013
Joe Chamberlain
Joe Chamberlain rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Feanor  Omega
Feanor Omega rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Chuck Ledger
Chuck Ledger rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2010
Francisco
Francisco rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2012
Stacey
Stacey rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2010
Josh
Josh rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2008
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2010
James
James rated it really liked it
May 08, 2012
Gypsyharper
Gypsyharper rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2011
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2009
Richard Ritenbaugh
Richard Ritenbaugh rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Ken Scholes is the award-winning, critically-acclaimed author of five novels and over fifty short stories. His work has appeared in print for over sixteen years. His series, The Psalms of Isaak, is published by Tor Books and his short fiction has been released in three volumes by Fairwood Press.

Ken's eclectic background includes time spent as a label gun repairman, a sailor who never sailed, a so
More about Ken Scholes...