Start by marking “Sandkings” as Want to Read:
Sandkings

Sandkings

Published July 2001 by Fictionwise

To ask other readers questions about Sandkings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sandkings

Carmo
Jul 13, 2016 Carmo rated it really liked it
Com este conto George RR Martin prova que quem escreve bem, fá-lo em qualquer registo e nem importa o tamanho.
Não o leiam antes de dormir. É arrepiante e "pesadélico".
Dy Loveday
Jan 01, 2013 Dy Loveday rated it it was amazing
I've read this over and over again and every time I find more in the story. One of the best characters of all time.
Omar
Oct 20, 2016 Omar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
wow this is the best story in the book. It's a true monster-horror story. I had many feelings during the whole story despite being a short story. It has a great build-up that truly pulls you into it and slowly sends you to the edge of the seat, at times I couldn't even lift my eyes away from the pages. I wish he expanded the world like he was planning to :(
Sandro
Dec 24, 2015 Sandro rated it really liked it
Sandkings is my first ever book by George R.R. Martin. Not a Song of Ice and Fire book, not a Wild Cards book, not even something like Windhaven.

Bearing this in mind, I can't compare the writing style when he wrote Sandkings with the one used on more recent books. What I can say is that I see a lot of ideas and details employed in this short story that no doubt can be easily identified as a "George idea".

For once, there's lots of gratuitous violence, a despicable character and yes, deaths, lots
Helena
Jan 24, 2016 Helena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The God That Failed! (served him right)
Mark Tallen
Nov 26, 2016 Mark Tallen rated it it was ok
This horror/Scifi tale (more horror than scifi) gets a two star rating from me (2.5 if I could). I'll say right off the bat that I'm sure George R.R Martin is capable of much better. The concept behind the story is fine but it was missing a certain something for me, perhaps a little too predictable in parts. It's well worth reading but I'll be looking forward to reading better material from Mr Martin in the future.
Bar Tube
Oct 25, 2016 Bar Tube rated it it was amazing
This is a very good dark horror short story, about how war can mess things up. It also has gremlins all over it. We all have gremlins, that shouldn't be fed. This is a recurring theme in grrms writing.
Radu Marin
Jan 03, 2017 Radu Marin rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, novella
fun
Anquises
Sep 26, 2016 Anquises rated it it was amazing
Principios de 2005. Estoy en un cumpleaños de un amigo y entablo una conversación sobre literatura con un, entonces, desconocido friki. Yo que siempre estoy al quite de pedir recomendaciones, le pregunto por algún libro de fantasía que sea entretenido y no insulte mi inteligencia (no había leído fantasía desde la adolescencia, pero era muy aficionado a la Ciencia Ficción). Me habla con mucho entusiasmo de algo llamado "Canción de hielo y fuego" de un tal George R.R. Martin. Lo almaceno en algún ...more
Jaqueline Miguel
Jun 10, 2014 Jaqueline Miguel rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
Finally I read something written by the author of the moment! Despite having several books of the Game of Thrones saga, their size scares me a bit and I have not had the guts to read any. This short story was then my first experience of writing this fantastic writer. What an imagination! We can only define it in a way: genial!
The narration of this tale is taken through the point of view of Simon, a character that any animal lover will hate from the start. He is evil and just have fun when he see
Cal
Feb 19, 2013 Cal rated it it was amazing
This is one of those stories of hubris that once read it seeps deeper into memory(at least mine). Ihave found some of Martin's novellas far
more compelling than his rambling encyclopedic Ice and Fire series. This story ramps up quickly with a very creative story-line. Hard to put down once started.
Emanuele
Dec 02, 2012 Emanuele rated it it was amazing
Martin's genius does not disappoint. A lovely short story on the prevalence of nature over malevolence, egoism And irrationality with a fantastic final twist. While it has nothing to do, it comes very recommended to all fans of this genius of modern literature
Ahmad Alkadri
Oct 26, 2013 Ahmad Alkadri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, dark
This is a dark, sick... and awesome story. Set in other world, far away in space, with battling Aliens and used-to-be-Godlike cruel human, and terrifying but actually relatable creatures. Great characters, twist, and turn all over around. 5 stars, no less.
Phil
Mar 03, 2013 Phil rated it liked it
I like the plot, but I found the writing some what lacking. Martin's writing has certainly progressed.
Mikaela
Dec 30, 2013 Mikaela rated it it was amazing
Sheer Brilliance. Horrifying and grizzly but utterly poignant at the same time.

Takes about 20 mins to read but totally 110% worth it.
Stephen V.
Jan 27, 2013 Stephen V. rated it it was amazing
This was the story that opened my eyes to the power of the short story. An amazing read in OMNI, edited by Ellen Datlow.
Susan
Jun 11, 2015 Susan marked it as borrowed-not-kept
read this story in The Super Hugos sometime in college. I'd've checked it out of the university library for the Anne McCaffrey story. I also remember it as episode of "The New" Outer Limits
Charles Coomber
Charles Coomber rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2013
Robert
Robert rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2014
Kailander
Kailander rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2012
Munif Mujib
Munif Mujib rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
William Leitzman
William Leitzman rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Katja
Katja rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2013
Tine Kolenik
Tine Kolenik rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2013
A.J.
A.J. rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2013
Nagapavan
Nagapavan rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2013
Jason Kakazu
Jason Kakazu rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2013
Qaz
Qaz rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Exhalation
  • A Meeting With Medusa/Green Mars (Special Double Release)
  • The People of Sand and Slag
  • The Women Men Don't See
  • The Last to Fall
  • Antihypoxiant
  • Tales from the Nightside
  • The Power Twins
  • What Good Is a Glass Dagger?
  • If the Stars Are Gods
  • The Broken Cycle (John Grimes, #4)
  • Mono no Aware
  • The End Has Come (The Apocalypse Triptych, #3)
  • OPUS: 25 Years of His Sunday Best
  • For a Breath I Tarry
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 1
  • The Queen of Air and Darkness and Other Stories
  • Maelstrom (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 2)
George R. R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

More about George R.R. Martin...