Start by marking “Fences (The Century Cycle #6)” as Want to Read:
Fences (The Century Cycle #6)

Fences (The Century Cycle #6)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  7,999 ratings  ·  498 reviews
The 1987 Winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Drama

From August Wilson, author of The Piano Lesson and the 1984-85 Broadway season's best play, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, is another powerful, stunning dramatic work that has won him numerous critical acclaim including the 1987 Tony Award for Best Play and the Pulitzer Prize. The protagonist of Fences (part of Wilson’s ten-part “P
Published June 1st 1986 by Plume

To ask other readers questions about Fences, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fences

Rick
Fences, the sixth in the ten play cycle by August Wilson, takes place in 1957, two years after the Montgomery Bus Boycott began, ten years after Jackie Robinson broke the color line that by a so-called “gentlemen’s agreement” kept African-American players out of the major leagues (but two years >before the Red Sox became the last team to include a black player on their team), six years before the March on Washington, seven and eight years before the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act. ...more
Leslie
A great American drama. The writing is masterful, obviously, but what struck me most on this first reading is the complexity of responses that Wilson evokes from the reader/audience. I am a middle aged Caucasian AP Lit teacher, so while some might expect my reactions to center on the African American experience, what struck me first was the recognizable conflicts between father and son, husband and wife, man and woman. I felt a kinship to Troy, Cory and Rose, even while I watched the fruits (con ...more
Nicole Homich
Fences is a heart-rending picture of an African American family doing the best that they can in the North that rejected them after their migration from the South. Troy is a hard man, but he is someone that you have to feel for because of all the obstacles that have stood in his way from birth.

*Spoiler-ish*

Post-slavery, Troy's sharecropper father was a terror to his wives and children, abusing the only power he had, to the point where Troy walked the 200 miles then hitched a ride to "freedom" in
Naomi
I read this book in 8th grade, but decided to read it again because I forgot alot of stuff in it. But I do remember really enhoying this book because the book centers itself around such themes that made up a black america in the 1950's and 60's. The main character Troy Maxson is a middle aged man who has settled down with his wife and two sons, taking care of his care-free brother and his unsettling job as a garbage collector. His dream was once to be able to become a baseball player for the MLB ...more
Alicia Duff
The play Fences explores psychological boundaries people endure as a result of their childhood upbringing. The story takes place in the 1950s, and is represented through the lives of Bono, Cory, and Troy. They each grew up with a parent who held back support. Their backgrounds share a common thread; this unites them to makeup the theme. August Wilson is conveying not to treat others hurtfully because your own disposition. He demonstrates the idea of transferring your own hindrances onto others, ...more
Mariza Spinola
It was interesting reading this book. Seeing how Rosa had different attitude than Troy. Rosa really believed that Cory could achieve his goal by working hard.
Rosa was definitely my favorite character, she wanted the family to be united and live a different life than what Troy lived with father. We all know that this book was.very focused on racism with I like to talk and discuss about.. But I didn't like Troy's attitude towards his son. He lived in the past, focused on what he lived and he didn
Uyen Pham
I gave 3 out of 5 stars because I like reading the book that continues what happens to character but this book doesn't. It did make me surprised but I don't know the reason why Troy died at the first time I read the last Act. The book cut into many sections, especially, the section opened with 6 months or 3 years later. That makes me feel not to understand what happened during that time.

My favorite character in the play is Rose, because she looks like my mom, the way my mom always says. She alwa
Enrique Nova
I give this book a 4 stars out of 5. This is because the story itself shows how African Americans had to forget about their dreams, and seek for new lives. Also, it shows how some people lose their whole lives because of their parents, and the lack of support.
My favorite character of the book was Cory. I believe Cory was brave enough to stand up against his father, but it was not enough to keep searching for his football dreams. However, even though he could not follow his dreams, he did not ga
Eliseu
The reason I gave this book five out five stars is because the character and problem that book is introduce is universal. Everybody who reading this book can connect it with real live experiences or something that happen base on real life. My favorite character is Cory because he was confident he did everything to following his dreams, he face his thought dad by quit his job to play football His dad did not supporting him and keeping give him reason to give up and not play football but he never ...more
Maria Aristy
I gave 5/5 stars because this play got me focus. This play shows an universal story where even if you are passing through the same situation you can relate to it. I love it.
My favorite character in the play is Troy even though, I don't like him. He was the character that will stick to mind every time I heard the word Fences, he is remarkable.
What this play say about the ability of an individual to achieve his/her dreams/goals is that not always you are going to achieve what you want but (Troy),
Ashly Torres
I give 4 stars because I understand and admired the way Troy was in his life.
Troy is my favorite character because even though he had a rough pass, he tried his best to maintain the family stable by working hard and doing his responsibilities. Maybe he didn't show his love but he shows that he really cared to his son and family.
This play teach us that you can't give up on your dreams, that even though you work hard and doesn't accomplish your dreams, that work can help you to be something else
Геллее Авбакар
Disclosure:
This Piece of American Theater was the best example we had during our studies in the subject of American Theater during the University years. I own a copy of it. and I am willing to have it in Kindle Version too.

My Plot:
The First beginning of the Theater was the depiction of the scene beside the critics of the city as an entity that gave the whites love and Black people are bound with hate. After that came the beginning of the story occurs in a cottage outside a big city. the cottage
Courtney H.
Fences breaks hard from the dark and darkly comedic Ma Rainey. Where Ma Rainey and Jitney were claustrophic, Fences broke out in its physical location and its time. It takes place over months and bleeds into the 1960s for its final scene. Like his prior plays, Wilson focuses on a collective of individuals who are tightly knit but fractured. But here, he zeros in on his protagonist. His characters are multidimensional (I really liked Rose), but there is no mistake: this is Troy Maxson's play. Mir ...more
Mohammed Hussian
Chin Hwa
Hattie
Every time I read another play written by August Wilson I think it is my most favorite. I have now concluded, for me, it is impossible to choose a favorite one from his plays. Each play is significantly satisfying in its own way. This play happens in the late Fifties. Troy Maxson is married to Rose Maxson. They have two sons, Lyons and Corey. Troy's brother also stays at the house. His name is Gabriel. Family and friends call Gabriel Gabe.

Troy seems to be the radius of the other characters. He i
Izetta Autumn
To be a Black man in an August Wilson play, is to receive a gift from the drama gods, because Wilson builds fatastic, intriguing, complicated, beautiful male characters. Characters that actors, including one of my most favorite stage actors, Russell Hornsby, can inhabit, fall into, and animate with skill.

In Fences, Troy is embittered by his dream of being denied the opportunity to play in the major leagues. Here, Wilson seems to answer Langston Hughes' question, of what happens to a dream defer
Daritza Suero
I give 5 stars of 5 because these book even though was made in the 1950s the play demonstrated a lot of issues that is happens in the 2014, one examples is the racism. The racism doesn't finished. My favorite character in the play was Rose because she was loyal with Troy even though he was a ignored, I liked her because she was so humble and everything she do with him was because she wanted, she speed her all life with him and she was happy with it (well before he cheating on her).
Nadia Monteiro
I gave this play 5 out of 5 because this is a real example of family now a day, even though Troy wasn't perfect at all, but he try his best. My favorite character in this play is Troy MaxSon, I didn't liked him in the end of the book, because of what he have done to his family. Troy is a very harsh when it came to educate his son, Cory. He want to make sure that Cory didn't end up shameful as he did in the past years and he want to protect him as much as he can.
Maria Rivera
I gave this play 5 stars out of 5 because it's a very realistic story that shows how Black Americans credit themselves. They didn't believe that, they couldn't get somewhere because they are Black. And that damages the relation between Black families.

My favorite character is Troy. Troy loves his son even though he said he didn't like him, if he didn't he wouldn't care what he did with his live. He just wanted to show his son to be independent.

Geraldo
IT's an amazing book with incredible and very emotional characters that despite the fact that it is a drama type of novel, it will still make any man now matter how manly enjoy reading it. MY favorite character on this play is Troy simply because he shows how most man would react after living a life like he has lived, and because when he shows he's true self he acts like somebody who has lost everything and is losing everything all over again.
Elisadepina
I give this book 4/5 because it was a fantastic play and I like the way the characters act specially Troy. I like Rose because she is so adorable. After all the things that Troy did to her, of course she had to change her attitudes but she still help troy with her daughter. She lives with Troy all her life and she didn't give up. She lives at the same house with him and do everything to him.
Skarlen Sabaris
I believe is a wonderful play with a remarkable message about dreams and happiness. My favorite character from the play was Rosa because she was loyal and a person that hold on to her dreams to dedicate her self to Troy. This is very uncommon in today because many women don't need a men to survive the work and step up, but Rosa was scared to leave him because she loved him and need him.
Geisis Medina
It's a good story with situations that I can relate on my family because no all of them couldn't make their dream real they think that others can make their dream possible.

Cory was my favorite character. He is a young man who never give up on his dream and even though his father doesn't want him to play sport he did everything that he could had done to convince his father.
Aissatou Barry
The reason why I rate this 5 stars because this play can be connected to any person in this life.

My favorite character in this play is Rose because she loyal and the fact that she love her family and she need to take care of then no matter what. And also the fact that Troy have a baby with another women she still take care of that baby.
Sofia
I give this book 5 to 4 because a family drama make you suspense and many different message in common
my favorite character is ROSA because she is the example of good wife and a very good Mather also she a kind person by taking care of Raynell even the girl is the baby who cheated her with her husband.
Edilson Gomes
Fences was pretty funny and silly at times, but with some deeper messages. While reading it, I was able to uncover meaningful and important lessons about life, so for this reason I gave it a 4 stars. My favorite character was Troy because he was realistic enough for one to believe in and connect to.
Rossiany Barbosa
I give it the number 4 of 5 stars because I like this book is about how together the family was before.

My favorite character in the play is Troy because he is remarkable. He was bitter with his son Cory because he wanted his son to have something that nobody can't take way from him.
Marcos Soto
I give this book four out of five starts because I really like the way is written and because I liked the characters attitude.
This play shows that in life there are plenty of obstacle to achieve your dream but that doesn't mean that you should stop fighting to achieve your goals.
Rafael
i am giving to the fences 4 stars, because it explain the life of troy and its an old history when blacks didnt have enough right and this history teach me alot of lessons of life. My favorite character is troy because he told the true to rose as a real man and he was honest.
  • Topdog/Underdog
  • Lost in Yonkers
  • Talley's Folly
  • Dutchman & The Slave
  • Crimes of the Heart
August Wilson was an American playwright. His literary legacy is the ten play series, The Pittsburgh Cycle, for which he received two Pulitzer Prizes for Drama. Each is set in a different decade, depicting the comic and tragic aspects of the African-American experience in the twentieth century.

Wilson was born Frederick August Kittel, Jr. in the Hill District of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the fourth
More about August Wilson...
The Piano Lesson Joe Turner's Come and Gone Ma Rainey's Black Bottom Gem of the Ocean Seven Guitars

“When the sins of our fathers visit us
We do not have to play host.
We can banish them with forgiveness
As God, in his His Largeness and Laws.”
20 likes
“I done learned my mistake and learned to do what's right by it. You still trying to get something for nothing. Life don't owe you nothing. You owe it to yourself.
- Troy -”