Start by marking “The Broken Road” as Want to Read:
The Broken Road

The Broken Road

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  483 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The Broken Road is the story of Ard and West, who have been friends since the second grade. They've been through a lot together: homework, broken bones, the death of a parent, and dreading high school dances. Through Ardie working the family farm and taking care of his siblings, and West chasing his college boy dreams, their friendship never falters, even with the gap of y ...more
Published December 1st 2006 by Torquere Press (first published June 16th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Broken Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Broken Road

Daisiemae
The Broken Road is a bittersweet love story between two best friends. The book spans from when the heroes meet in 2nd grade, become best friends, and then evolves over the next 25 years. It was a test of patience for me. There were times when I wanted to throw in the towel on this one. Not because the book was badly written, or I didn’t care about the characters, because I did, but there is a definite element of sadness within the story, that I wasn’t prepared for.

Now don’t get me wrong, there
Marco
The 2 heroes are probably the densest pair I've read in M/M romantic fiction. I expected a better, if not realistic, resolution but no, I got a fairy-tale version of it. I much preferred if it went like this:
(I'm sorry, I'm oblivious for 25 years that that you're gay and that you love me not just as a best friend even though it's painfully obvious since you didn't have any liaisons since we're teenagers and maybe I took it for granted that you are also human with needs and maybe you're really a
Camilla
Arthur
One of my favorite m/m books. The story of Ardie and Wes gives us a feeling how two best friends becoming lovers at the end, even when one of them dated other men. The two are so close to each other that even Brian--Wes' beloved lover--saw it. "Nobody cares for you more than Ardie," he said.
Edina Rose
Very touching story of a love that started in childhood. Ardie really got to me. He was so... committed, responsible, loving, generous, good, adorable. Although he has always loved his best friend West, he only wished West happiness, even with another man.
Nancy
Ard and West grow up as best friends in a rural area. West is eager to get out as soon as possible, while Ard both loves farm life, and is stuck supporting his family after the death of his father and the breakdown of his mother. West comes out, and goes through a series of unsuitable boyfriends before finding true love--only to be destroyed when his lover is killed. Meanwhile, Ard watches helplessly over the years, too terrified to confess his love. When they finally do get together, their bond ...more
Lee
I was unprepared for all of the heart wrenching, tear stained pages (can you say that having read the book on an iPad?) that The Broken Road asks of its readers. At any given time I was either crying for Ardie and West, or throwing my hands up in frustration over their inability to make that leap from BFFs to lovers. This is a very well written book and I highly recommend it, but please, don't attempt to read it without a box of kleenex close by. You're going to need them.

I give The Broken Road

Bee
Aaaah the angst. Joyous heart clenching angst. There are two parts to this story, the wanting and the having. And that’s both good and bad…

Ard and West have been best friends since second grade when Ard saved West from a fourth grade bully. They have grown up together and then with age grown apart. Ard being the single kid in a rootless family has always seen Ard and his family as his home, but has always been destined for bigger things. Ard became the caretaker of his family at thirteen, when h
Jimmy Hanson
Not my favorite Sean Michael story of all time, that's for sure. Most of the novel was taken up by scenes from their life, from childhood to adulthood, leaving the reader in suspense, waiting to find out what had happened that was so bad that West would call up, crying for Ardie's help.
For all that it seemed to be going well, the fact that West went through one lover after another, feeling for Ardie as he did but never giving it a hope or chance, even after so many years, became an annoyance for
Ashley♥Alexis
Aug 20, 2012 Ashley♥Alexis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ashley♥Alexis by: Purplegirl
I think I literally spent the whole time reading this book in tears. Ardie was just so damn sweet. I loved the way this story was told and I especially loved the build up to their relationship. (view spoiler) I also thought the book could have ended rather nicely after the first time th ...more
Raevyn
This book was a tough read for me because I wanted to yell at West at least every other page. He had everything he needed in front of him and he kept searching for something more. I understand the path he had to take to find his home, but it didn't make it any less frustrating.

Ardie was such a peaceful soul, but I had a hard time believing that he waited so long to have any form of sexual experience. It seemed strange to me that there wasn't even any internal dialogue about his physical needs.

Ev
Ana
Purplegirl
I really enjoyed this book. I was expecting a regular Sean Michael book with a lot of sex going on but this was different. When the sex did come, it was appropriate and not overbearing. This was a sweet story and made me feel for the characters. A great read.
Holly
This is the best Sean Michael book I have read. The MCs are very sympathetic. And it has a wonderful sense of story and atmosphere without any repetitiveness.
Teddies
My all time favorite from Sean Michael. I would recommend to newbies of the M/M genre.
Kavisha
This book was depressing. I found myself skimming through some of the paragraphs because i just wanted to read about when they got together. And while I was so glad that it FINALLY happened, there wasnt enough impact in that scene and I think it could have been written better.
Alli
This book was both heart wrenchingly sad for the choices that had to made and just so touching and heart warming, it has become one of my favorite Sean Micheal books
Kumar naorem
Very mind capturing and moving M/M romance by Sean Michael. Makes you wish to have Ardie as your best friend and as lover. Simply gorgeous. Hats off to Sean Michael.
Veronica /  V
I'm so glad the ending was beautiful with a stunning HEA, because if that wasn't the case I would have been so disappointed. Perfect:)
Don
A simple tale of two friends that grew up together and were made for each other only life got in the way and delayed their destiny.
Dan Dexter
Awww! sweeter than I usually expect from this author, but sugar's what daddy likes :) A honey of a story.
Erin
The anticipation was SO great in this book! Good story, interesting characters. I'd recommend this book.
Indigo
Best have a kleenex box handy... at least I needed one
Jayded
this was such a sweet sad story with a nice HEA at the end.
Dena
Sep 14, 2013 Dena rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
2.5*
Nan~needs to clean out TBR list
Sep 01, 2013 Nan~needs to clean out TBR list rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nan~needs to clean out TBR list by: Katie
Flail Around
Flail Around marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
  • Got Mistletoe?
  • Left of Centre
  • Beyond the Norm
  • Soldier (Scarcity Sanctuary, #1)
  • Letting In the Light
  • Precious Ache
  • Roughstock: And a Smile- Season One (Roughstock, #3)
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • Heart Doctor (City Hospital, #1)
  • The Ties That Bind
  • Eros Rising
  • Talk Dirty To Me
  • Off the Record
Often referred to as "Space Cowboy" and "Gangsta of Love" while still striving for the moniker of "Maurice," Sean Michael spends his days surfing, smutting, organizing his immense gourd collection and fantasizing about one day retiring on a small secluded island peopled entirely by horseshoe crabs. While collecting vast amounts of vintage gay pulp novels and mood rings, Sean whiles away the hours ...more
More about Sean Michael...
Bent (Hammer, #1) Daddy, Daddy and Me Mannies Incorporated (Mannies Incorporated, #1) Found (Hammer, #3) Forged (Hammer, #8)