Start by marking “Eyes of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #3)” as Want to Read:
Eyes of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #3)

Eyes of Prey (Lucas Davenport #3)

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  17,990 Ratings  ·  490 Reviews
Lucas Davenport, "one of the best hard-case cops on the crime scene today" (Houston Post) returns in John Sandford's #1 New York Times bestselling Prey series...

Lieutenant Davenport’s sanity was nearly shattered by two murder investigations. Now he faces something worse…Two killers. One hideously scarred. The other strikingly handsome, a master manipulator fascinated with
Published June 1st 2001 by Berkley Publishing Group (first published April 4th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Eyes of Prey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eyes of Prey

Stephanie
Solid mystery - Third in Lucas Davenport series

Note that this review may contain spoilers for books 1 and 2. This is a great series that should be read in order.

I loved Eyes of Prey even more than the last two in series! The book picks up right where Shadow Prey left off. Davenport is battling depression after the battle in his home against the last villain. He is estranged from his girlfriend (mother of his child).

A chilling type of villain in this one. Actually, a pair of villains. Maybe the
Kemper
Most mental health professionals would probably tell you that a clinical depression needs to be treated with a combination of drugs and therapy, but Lucas Davenport found his own method of pulling himself out of a funk by beating the snot out of a pimp and then trying to track down a pair of wacko serial killers. I guess it’s cheaper than Prozac.

An insane pathologist, Michael Bekker, has teamed up with a deformed stage actor named Carlo Druze to pull a Hitchcock-style Strangers On A Train arrang
Obsidian
Sep 24, 2015 Obsidian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read
This review spoils the events in the first two books in the series, so skip over if you don't want to be spoiled. Though I think I am doing a PSA by spoiling this book anyway, for those that may hate themselves enough to start reading this series.

After a brutal murder of a woman in her home (and seriously, I can do without anymore horrible murders perpetuated by men against women for a while now) a witness is left who saw the murderer.

Lucas is called up to help lead the investigation. The captai
Scott Rhee
Jan 05, 2015 Scott Rhee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When last I met Lucas Davenport, the hero-detective of John Sanford’s long-running and continually bestselling series, I’ll be honest: I hated him. In “Silent Prey”, the book prior to “Eyes of Prey” (the third in the series), Davenport was cheating on his girlfriend, who had just given birth to his daughter. The woman he was having an affair with was married, and despite her attempts to end the affair, Davenport kept pushing her into it. He was a narcissistic and borderline sociopathic asshole w ...more
James Thane
This is the third book in John Sandford's long-running series featuring Lucas Davenport, and it features probably the most vile and complex villain of the entire series. Actually, there are two major bad guys. One is much more intelligent and much scarier than the other and, not surprisingly, he is the one pulling the strings in a series of murders inspired by the old Alfred Hitchcock film, "Strangers on a Train."

The mastermind's plan goes awry right from the start and the bad guys are left scra
Rick
Jul 01, 2017 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Lucas is depressed. Maybe solving a murder will get him back to himself. Recommended.
Kennedy
Brent Soderstrum
This is book 3 from the Lucas Davenport series. It is the best so far. I love twists and this one has one right at the end which I didn't see coming.

Davenport is down in the dumps. His former girlfriend and mother of his daughter has left him. He takes out his anger on a pimp beating him to a pulp. He finally turns to an investigation to help him get out of his funk.

Lucas is investigating the killing of Dr. Michael Bekker's wife. Her face was smashed up and her eyes removed. At the same time an
William
Oct 03, 2016 William rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a mess. Some good ideas to update Strangers on a Train, but made over-complicated and dull, too. The villain is graphically repulsive, with far too much cartoon madness. The ending has a half-clever but inconsequential twist.

Where book #1 Rules of Prey showed great promise, and book #2 Shadow Prey opened a world of Indian suffering as well as courage, and without letting Davenport become too much of a stinking monster, this Eyes of Prey is dissatisfying on so many levels.

I wish I had stop
Richard
Dec 04, 2016 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime, audiobook
8/10

Lazy New Year's Eve review.

The best in the series so far, Davenport is going through a slump and he needs an intriguing case to coax him out of it and wouldn't you know it there is one just round the corner!

The bad guy, Bekker, was the star attraction here for me and I was keen to listen to his sections the most. I'm looking forward to the next book which contains Bekker again.

I did this, and the previous ones, on audiobook and the narrator has definitely grown on me the more I listen. I l
Mike
Aug 09, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Does anyone else re-read books? This may be my 3rd time through the Davenport series. There are some elements of these stories that go on a bit too long, but certain passages more than make up for those shortcomings.
In this tale, Lucas is asked by a co-worker to look into the brutal slaying of a relative. Through the course of the investigation, more victims turn up with the same type of violent effects. Davenport floats through the theater and art cultures looking for one, or more, perpetrators
aPriL does feral sometimes
"It wasn't quite human, the thing that pulled itself across the kitchen floor. Not quite human--eyes gone, brain damaged, bleeding--but it was alive and it had a purpose: the telephone."

Need I say cozy readers will not continue past page 16?

Lucas Davenport isn't doing so well and he doesn't even know yet about the eye-taking murderers who have shown up on his patch. He's hurting over the departure of the woman and child he thoughtlessly treated like used cars. He is so down that when he gets the
Nancy
Dec 20, 2016 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Davenport is depressed because of previous cases that ended badly and a failed relationship...so maybe, just maybe, he should stop being such as a$$hole in his love life and as a cop, and his situation will improve. There is a crazy duo of partner serial killers that was intriguing in this story, and you know Davenport will get his mojo back by the end of the book.
Derek
Nov 09, 2013 Derek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the long-running PREY series is a major improvement over the second book, which I felt was much weaker than the first installment. Lucas Davenport is in a deep depression following the events of the second book, and only a new love interest he meets while tracking a particularly bizarre murderer seems to pull him out of it. This book is much darker than the previous two, and that's really saying something. It's a much more cohesive novel than the second, and it doesn't get as b ...more
Tom
Jun 08, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very dark, violent - Davenport is sinking and struggles with a case full of near-misses and misdirections.
Joe King
Apr 02, 2017 Joe King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad I got turned on to this series from a discussion on Goodreads regarding series similar to Harry Bosch. This one is great and keeps getting better. The story was great (if just a touch too long), but the ending - WOW!
Jim
Jul 06, 2017 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Davenport # 3 from author John Sandford shows it's quite dated coming from 1991. Still had as much enjoyment reading this one as I did in the early 1990's.
Mappi
Feb 12, 2009 Mappi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall - 4.5/5 : Interesting

Plot - 4/5 : Amazing Plot development. A series of Murder in which the victims eyes are completely destroyed, sends Lucas to all corners withour any results, as the murder suspects have a very strong alibis during the time of murders. Driven into this web of chance, Lucas depends on the aide of an eye victness and the victims secret lover, the Loverboy, to get the serial killer. The main problem with it is, the Loverboy wants and remains a secret.

Writting - 4/5 : Mo
Kristin
Oct 28, 2011 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio-books
This was a very long audiobook, something like 14+ hours? 12 disks at any rate. The reader has a very methodical - almost slow - delivery so I fully admit it was hard to just let the story unfold when I wanted to know what happens NOW. I'm impatient that way.

I read this one to tide me over until the new Virgil Flowers (#5) becomes available at the library. And because I'm slowly working my way through the Davenport series.

I love the twists and turns all the characters took in this one. Lucas i
Dana
Jan 25, 2009 Dana rated it really liked it
Lucas Davenport is a Minneapolis cop who is burned out. He has lost his family and had a very bad close-out to a murder investigation. He is severely depressed. He is assigned to a particularly gruesome case. Will he survive this one?

Stephanie Bekker was brutally killed and her eyes cut out. The most viable suspect, her husband, has an airtight alibi. Her killer is a scarred emotional cold person.

A couple of days later the manager of a small theater is killed in a very similar fashion. The most
Dr. Thomas Wasser
First let me say that I John Sandford and the Lucas Davenport series on good reads. It came up with recommendations and I have not been disappointed. This is the third in the series and I am reading them in order. This has been the best of the three by far. I do not give five-star ratings. Easily but this book was fantastic. I can’t read them fast enough.

No spoilers here, but the book is full of twists and turns up to the very last page. The book is of course dated because it was written a long
Daniel
Aug 05, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short take:

This is the Davenport story I was looking for! Bekker is, indeed, a wicked creation, and his scenes pulled me in far more than a villain's usually does. Davenport suffers some more, and I give Sandford a lot of credit for emphasizing his here's mortality so early in the series. This book confirms that picking up the Prey series was a good thing to do.

More thoughts:

Davenport is such an interesting character. At this point, he is 40, financially well off, respected on the force, used
Melanie
My plunge into the Prey series began with Sandford's most recent book, Buried Prey. I thoroughly indulged in the book and got hooked on the series, but now that I'm going back and reading all of the books in order, I have to admit that Eyes has been my least favorite so far. While it is more complex in the sense that more than one murderer is involved, I probably didn't like it because there wasn't enough continuity between Shadow Prey (#2) and Eyes of Prey (#3). Lucas isn't in a good emotional ...more
Yolanda
Apr 29, 2014 Yolanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucas Davenport is back fighting crime and some personal demons. An interesting story involing the theater and medical doctors. It can make some of the strongest stomachs a little squimish about eyes. I liked the way it wrapped up in the end, nice touch.
Steve
Jan 30, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time since I read this one last. What a great book! As always, John Sandford has the baddest, bad guys…just nuts. His books scare me a lot more than Stephen King or any of those guys…these bad guys could be real! I totally forgot about the surprise ending as well.
Tim
Jun 04, 2014 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A typical well done crime novel featuring Davenport, his demons, along with a psycho killer or two. 8 of 10 stars
Don P
Oct 03, 2014 Don P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good Davenport installment. I found the mystery to be interesting (if brutal), and I enjoyed seeing Davenport put the clues together. On to the next one!
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
Number three in the Lucas Davenport series. A murderer destroys the eyes of his victims. Lucas is depressed, and more violent than usual in this one. Very good.
Kathy Davie
Jun 02, 2014 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Third in the Lucas Davenport thriller series revolving around a dirty, yet honest cop based in Minneapolis.

My Take
I don’t normally read introductions. It’s more of a hit-or-miss, if I’m in the mood kind of thing, yet I’m finding Sandford’s introductions interesting. They add an extra depth --- and horror --- to the story I’m reading. This one, in particular, is very useful for writers as Sandford talks about how the gruesome bits developed, the questions he asked himself. Do not read too much in
Amanda McGill
Jul 19, 2017 Amanda McGill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
After a not so great 2nd novel, I'm happy to see that the 3rd novel in the Lucas Davenport series was just as good as the first novel, if not better!

Lucas Davenport is depressed after the events from book #2 so a murder serial killer is just the thing to pick him back up. The problem is that there are 2 killers who alternates between victims to throw off the police. Going off very little, Lucas has to figure out who the killers are and why they are killing in the way that they are.

I really enjo
Goodreads Librari...: 978-0-425-21443-5 2 13 Dec 22, 2013 01:05PM
  • Dead Prey
  • Lullaby Town (Elvis Cole, #3)
  • Red Knife (Cork O'Connor, #8)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • Live Bait (Monkeewrench, #2)
  • Pursuit
  • The Burying Place (Jonathan Stride, #5)
  • After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)