Start by marking “The Coming of Wisdom (Seventh Sword, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Coming of Wisdom (Seventh Sword, #2)

The Coming of Wisdom (Seventh Sword #2)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  1,606 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Published September 3rd 2008 by eReads.com (first published July 12th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Coming of Wisdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coming of Wisdom

Algernon
[7/10]
In this Seventh Sword sequel, the swordsman is no longer 'reluctant' - Wally Smith refers to himself as Shonsu and he has accepted the role of Goddess Champion, even if he (and the reader) is still clueless about what the mission is actually about. All he has is a 'gnomic utterance': a puzzle in the form of prophecy, and a band of brothers and sisters to help him along. And a World to discover:

Now he was going to be given a chance to see a whole new planet and an ancient and complex cultu
Leon Aldrich
The Seventh Sword #2

Book Description:

Wallie Smith is staring death in the face; only a miracle can save him. And then one does! The Goddess appears to preserve his soul, but she does much more than that. She promises to bestow upon him a new and powerful body, and, more importantly, to endow him with the fabled Sapphire Sword of Chioxin. But nothing in this world or any other comes without a price. The Goddess demands that, for her services, Wallie become her champion. It will be an honor to ser
Brett
The Seventh Sword Trilogy continues as Wallie/Shonsu, Nnanji and their retinue first encounter the dread sorcerers. Dave Duncan continues to flesh out his incredibly original World and explores freewill versus destiny, the nature of miracles, and faith responses.

Additional plotlines are developed as well as the swordsmen are scrutinized and exposed. Nnanji's childlike idealism becomes tempered by experience but his zeal remains untarnished. And Wallie begins to discern why The Goddess chose him
Sbuchler
Aug 16, 2008 Sbuchler rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sbuchler by: Sabrina
Genre: High Fantasy

Second book in the _Seventh Sword_ series. It continues to be fast-pased and quite interesting. The structure of this book is an action-mystery. It turns out that the world that Wallie has been dumped in has sorcerers who seem to be the reason the Goddess has brough Wallie to this world. The question of what they can do, and how it works is the crux of the novel. I love the twist at the end - it's a rare one in fantasy, in my experience - but if I gush about it I'll give away
Wallie Smith has finally figured out why the Goddess stuffed his mind into the body of Shonsu, a beefcake of a swordsman: he is supposed to stop sorcerers from taking over the World. A combination of prophecy and miracle make it clear that he must accomplish this by sailing with a family of traders who detest him until his motley band figures out how cold steel can stop sorcerers capable of invisibility, shape-shifting, and summoning fire demons. As much mystery as adventure novel, book two ends ...more
Marko
Review written for the last book in the series:
This is the third and final book in the Seventh Sword trilogy. I read the entire trilogy over the past couple of weeks and I take that as proof that it had gripping power and was well enough written to keep me hooked until I had finished all the books. While trying not to spoil anything, the story is about a swordsman who is given a task in the form of a riddle and who then ventures to explore the world and finds love, power and sadness on the way.

O
As a review for the series, I liked it but omg detail detail detail detail - SO MUCH DETAIL. If you like Robert Jordan, or Raymond E Feist, you'll probably like this series. The story flows and the characters are likeable, it's not hard to read and I read 3 books in a few days (haven't got my hands on #4 yet). I found myself skipping paragraphs and getting annoyed simply because everyone was so hung up on How.Things.Are. Even saying Hello to someone is ridiculously formal. The series centres aro ...more
Julie
I was wavering between giving this book 3 or 4 stars and decided on 3 stars. I liked the book but I got bogged down during some of it. I guess I'm wary of books that go from one place to another just to have the characters moving. If I notice the characters are just moving that's not a good thing. If a book is good I don't notice the movement it's just part of the story. While I recognize that there were reasons for the movement in this book , it was too much. The whole second book is about char ...more
Ian Armstrong
On the off chance that it's not blatantly obvious I shall start by pointing out that this is the second book in what (until very recently) was a trilogy. The reveals in this book would spoil the journey started in The Reluctant Swordsman, so please ensure that you've read that before proceeding to read this one.

Those who enjoyed The Reluctant Swordsman will not be disappointed in this second instalment. Mr Duncan continues to expand on the culture, history and beliefs of The World and The People
Jason Hogue
A typical middle book in a fantasy series.
Leeann
Just gets better and better!
Brian
Series:
7/17/10 - 7/10
The Seventh Sword series starts off really well. The first two books are very readable, with interesting characters in an interesting world. It's actually better than the description makes it sound. It's a real page turner that keeps you guessing. Unfortunately, the third book was a big let down. I felt that the characters weren't at all true to themselves and the plotting didn't make sense in the context of the story. First 2 books were 9/10, last was 6/10 - series 7/10.
Robert Runte
Re-read this book Dec 2012 after 25 years, and it stood up very well indeed. If anything, I enjoyed it more this time around. Book 2 of the Seventh Sword series, you have to start with book 1 (the Reluctant Swordsman) for it to make much sense. But very nice set up of the mystery in book 1, misdirection through most of book 2, until it all falls together at end of book 2. (Book 3 resolves the action...also recommended.)
Kurtis Story
Was a good book - not great, along the same lines as the previous in the saga (The Reluctant Swordsman). There's not much to say - the book was decent and I really enjoyed it, but it wasn't outstanding literature. I likened this one less to the "Landover" series, as the main character doesn't interact a lot with his "past", and when he does he rehashes things that went on in the first book
C.P. Sennett
Nothing short of a truly amazing set of books, fantastic play on the plot and great life like characters.

When this book was given to me I was unsure of it but I could not put it down. A fantastic set of books and something just a shade different for fantasy readers or writers to try.

Great plot and I enjoyed every minute of it. Oddly everyone I have given this set to has also loved it
Sean Randall
An excellent continuation of the series and no mistake - as commented upon by others, the ending is a revelation.

Personally the religious Goddess-as-supreme pathos of the work does sometimes sort of make me stop and think "Hmm", the free will against destiny angle is interesting to contemplate.

Here's hoping for a conclusion with as much to offer.
Steve Markham
This i would suggest is the best of the three book of this trilogy.

A well told story with love, hope and destiny woven together to create a wonderful plot which thickens ready for the third book. (review written after reading entire series)

Do we trust the priests? Is Wally thinking on the right lines?
David Shaffer
This series is a great example of doing something new in fantasy Sci-Fi. We have tattoos today, but having them on your eyelids... to identify what station you have in life... that is cool. This series is easy to fall in love with. Swords, a touch of romance, and overthrowing the "man".
Todd Hamblin
In this book we learn the nature of the quest. The book starts off with some intential abiguity. As a reader you are expected to be hooked by the mystery. I found these first few pages with Priestess Quili a little anoying. Then the story takes off and I enjoyed the book.
Lauma Lapa
like potato chips, this is comfort food for the mind: beautiful people, unsolvable problems solved via deus ex machina, humour in the appropriate places, and adventures of sword-carrying almost-supermen.
Michael Hannon
After such a promising start, the series begins to flirt dangerously with misogyny. The mystery takes a back seat to the action, much to the book's detriment.
Tymothy
Again, third or fourth reading and still a favorite. The characters, action and over-all storytelling continue to please.
David
The first one was good enough to get me to buy the second. And the second is probably good enough to get me to buy the third.
Tammy
I liked the series. Some thought got put into it.
Craig Halloran
Hey, it's a good trilogy with good characters.
Steve
The Seventh Sword
  • The Horse Lord (Book of Years, # 1)
  • The Fifth Book of Lost Swords: Coinspinner's Story (Lost Swords, #5)
  • The Unwilling Warlord
  • The Sword of Calandra (Winter King's War, #2)
  • The Dragon Knight (Dragon Knight #2)
  • The Warlock Enraged (Warlock Series, #4)
  • The Emerald Storm  (The Riyria Revelations, #4)
  • Dark Horse (Dark Horse #1)
  • Six of Swords
  • A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, #3)
  • Knight of the Demon Queen (Winterlands, #3)
  • Dark Moon
  • Riddle of the Seven Realms (Magics, #3)
  • King of the Dead (Lens of the World, #2)
The Gilded Chain (King's Blades, #1) The Reluctant Swordsman (Seventh Sword, #1) Magic Casement (A Man of His Word, #1) The Destiny of the Sword (Seventh Sword, #3) Lord of the Fire Lands (King's Blades, #2)

“Friends are harder to make than enemies, but they are more useful.” 4 likes