Start by marking “The Black Hole” as Want to Read:

3.44  ·  Rating Details ·  1,158 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Novelization of the Walt Disney film
Mass Market Paperback, 213 pages
Published November 12th 1979 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about The Black Hole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Hole

Eric
Mar 15, 2010 Eric rated it liked it
When I picked it up I hadn't realized this was a novelization of the Disney movie - I was hoping it was a book that inspired the movie. No such luck. It reads like a novelization, very directed and fairly dry.

I have only seen the movie once, long ago shortly after it was released (in 1979), but in the era of Star Wars it captured my imagination and reserved for itself a special little place in my heart - despite the fact that I can remember only vague images from the movie.

The book is a good ref
Erik
Jan 14, 2015 Erik rated it liked it
I am beside myself to explain how it is possible I liked this novelization of the movie better than the movie...after I saw and liked the movie first. Perhaps it is the King Effect, where every book is far better than the movie? But those are not novelizations. Hmm, odd.

Anyhow, it was a solid read that went by quickly. It wasn't Shakespeare or anything, but the story was good and the science wasn't complete bunk. The loss of 2 stars was caused directly by the ending. I won't disclose it here, b
Ryan
Sep 01, 2009 Ryan rated it liked it
A novelization of the 1970s movie. The crew of the starship Palomino encounter the legendary research vessel Cygnus, eerily stationary near an enormous black hole. Upon boarding the Cygnus, the crew meets the crypt Dr Hans Reinhardt and his creepy robot servants. The Palomino crew just wants to repair their ship, but Reinhardt has other plans for them. Adventure ensues.

A pretty straight-forward translation over from the movie, without too many differences. The two most interesting characters wer
green tea girl
Mar 08, 2014 green tea girl rated it it was ok
I gave up on this one.

The original film was one of my favourites as a kid, definitely one of the movies that got me into science fiction, and I thought that I could relive some of that wonder through reading this.

It's as dull as dishwater though, not even up to the same standard as his other novelisations (love his Star Trek books). Avoid.
Helen
Mar 06, 2011 Helen rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
Ken
Aug 31, 2009 Ken rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I really enjoyed this sci fi romp. I was very pleased with the ending.
Ben
Oct 10, 2016 Ben rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. My halfhearted hope that this novelization - by the prolific adapter Alan Dean Foster - would be able to capture some of the same weird vibe as the film was mostly unfulfilled. It's not a bad adaptation, but it fails to really add anything worthwhile, and the minor differences between the two media are relatively insignificant.
Poppy
Mar 07, 2017 Poppy rated it it was amazing
This is my childhood memory . I bought a random book from the book store , a collection of 5 short SF novels which was rewrited by the editor to cater to chinese kids taste . it was so impressed that i still couldn't forget this book . i would like to read the original text of this story !
Chris
Mar 06, 2014 Chris rated it it was ok
This book was published in 1979 to coincide with the release of the Walt Disney movie of the same title. You know a book is old when it has 'WITH COLOUR PHOTOGRAPHS!' in bright red capitals on the front cover.

The crew of the deep space research vessel 'Palomino' discover a derelict ship adrift in space. They identify the ship as the 'Cygnus', lost decades ago. The crew of the Palomino go aboard the ship to look for survivors and find only one; Dr Hans Reinhardt, the head scientist of the origina
Adam Wilson
May 18, 2011 Adam Wilson rated it liked it
The Black Hole by Alan Dean Foster was a science fiction novel for me. I mean that it was predictable for me because it involved things like space ships, robots, lots of technology that the author must explain to the reader, and a large chunk of the story being devoted completely to these and other complex explanations. I find that characterization in a lot of novels like this gets forgotten about when it comes to descriptions of futuristic things. Still, I was drawn in (no pun intended) by the ...more
Neil
I have not read this book in over thirty years. I read it again on a nostalgic whimsy. It was a decent adaptation of the movie [although the ending of the book differs from the movie’s ending]. I know other reviewers have mentioned this, but there is a really bad typo at the very end that ruins the ending of the book [which, in my opinion, is worse than the movie’s ending]. From what I remember, it essentially follows the movie scene-by-scene. There is very little, if any, character development ...more
Emily
Feb 09, 2014 Emily rated it liked it
I didn't realize this was a film novelization when I picked it up, but it did read cinematically. More dialogue and description than characterization, it was quite suspenseful, particularly towards the end. The final scenes were probably better on film, as it was difficult to track what was going on in all the action. The plotting and conceptualization was intriguing and it was a pretty quick read. Overall, satisfying, but not mind blowing. The ending was a bit disappointing, although points for ...more
Tia Taylor
Oct 30, 2010 Tia Taylor rated it it was ok
Simon Ford
Feb 22, 2015 Simon Ford rated it really liked it
Not too shabby, ADF is a pretty reliable author to do a movie adaptation and this was a walk in the park for him.

This was meant to be Disneys answer to STAR WARS, enough said.

An enjoyable film with a fine cast.

Always good to read a movie novelisation as you get a behind the curtain glimpse of the characters motivation and reasoning behind their deeds and how and why they do react to the circumstances/events.

David
Dec 05, 2012 David rated it liked it
Most dated sci-fi is not great at engaging me or drawing me into its imagination. But The Black Hole did. The characters were well balanced to bounce off each other and each provided good narration throughout the book.

The plot was genuinely interesting and the science was not too wacky or ad hoc as I've found to be usual in dated sci-fi. A very solid 3 stars, not quite 4. The ending was a bit strange. But then, it does tackle a very tricky subject which is hard to do well.
Dodie Reed
Jul 12, 2012 Dodie Reed rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book. I saw the movie a hundred years ago and can't remember a thing about it! A small group of scientists and pilots are on their way home when they encounter a black hole. There is a huge ship that was assumed lost twenty years ago. They board her and find only one man and a huge number of humanoid robots on board. Then the excitement begins!
Joe Oliveri
Nov 10, 2010 Joe Oliveri rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, although Foster has a quirky writing style that I found distracting. The Black Hole is simply a novelization of the movie (which I also enjoyed, aside from the ending), so don't expect any additional back-story or development of the characters. If you liked the movie, though, you'll probably like the book as well. It's a fun, quick read.
Sarah Sammis
Nov 07, 2007 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
Shelves: pc, read-in-2006
I'm going to have to go back and rewatch the movie but I think the book and film have slightly different interpretations on the ending. Other than that the book is a fairly straight-up version being nearly identical to the film (minus of course the great theatrical score). It was an enjoyable and quick read.
Jerry
Sep 23, 2012 Jerry rated it liked it
An otherwise great space opera yarn with two significant problems: A nonsensical ending that would be hard to show in movie form--isn't this a novelization of a film?--and a rather egregious typo that makes said ending difficult to decipher. I haven't seen the original movie, but I would hope it is better than this.
T
Jul 03, 2012 T rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
A very strange movie-to-novel adaptation that expands nothing within the storyline and presents a scene by scene re-telling of the film. The ending--the last chapter--made more sense than the ending in the film, but it sure wasn't worth reading through the whole movie over again to get there. If you're curious, flip to the end after having seen the film.
Kelsey
Mar 22, 2012 Kelsey rated it liked it
My edition had a really, really odd typo in the last paragraph of the last page that made the whole consciousnesses-drifting-in-the-void-forever even weirder. the book was pretty mediocre, being a novelization.
Read1000books
This book started out slow (2 stars), then turned really good in the middle (up to 4 stars), but absolutely fell off the cliff in the very last three pages (no spoilers here :) ; down to 3 stars). I know it's sci-fi but good grief...
Travis
Nov 12, 2012 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Love the movie and this is a solid adaption, even fleshing out a few vague bits that the movie rushed through.

Still wished they'd do a sequel, even though I'd most likely be sitting by myself in the theater.

Randy
Jul 20, 2008 Randy rated it it was amazing
Turned an absolutely horrendous movie into a decent novel. He seems one of the few writers that takes the time to do such.
Brett
Shelves: movies-tv
Movie Tie-In
Jon Huff
Jul 11, 2013 Jon Huff rated it liked it
I actually really enjoyed this adaptation. Some nice depth was added here and there, and the whole affair took on a slightly harder sci-fi edge. The changes to the ending were pretty intriguing, too.
Greg Lindsay
Nov 07, 2012 Greg Lindsay rated it really liked it
Good story, classic sci-fi and a nice quick read too.
Chris
Oct 09, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
I am wondering when this Disney feature will be remade?
Arthur
Apr 11, 2015 Arthur rated it it was amazing
Fast exploration of the universe. Quick read into horror, and that of a twisted man's mind and dreams. Interesting Scifi black hole encounter.
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • War Games
  • Back To The Future
  • Back to the Future, Part 2
  • Titan A.E.
  • Tron
  • V
  • Return from Witch Mountain
  • The Merchants' War (The Space Merchants, # 2)
  • The Warriors of Dawn (Ler, #1)
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Indiana Jones #2)
  • Dragonslayer
  • Taken
  • After Doomsday
  • Terminator 2: Judgment Day
  • The Edge of Tomorrow
  • Clark's Law
  • Immortality, Inc.
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...