Start by marking “Associated Press Stylebook And Libel Manual: Sixth Trade Edition” as Want to Read:
Associated Press Stylebook And Libel Manual: Sixth Trade Edition

Associated Press Stylebook And Libel Manual: Sixth Trade Edition

That bible of the newspaper industry -- American Bookseller, June 1997More People Write for the Associated Press than for any newspaper in the world, and more writers -- over 1,500,000 -- have bought The Associated Press Stylebook than any other journalism reference book. It provides facts and references for reporters, and defines usage, spelling, and grammar for editors. ...more
Published June 25th 1996 by Basic Books (first published August 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Associated Press Stylebook And Libel Manual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Associated Press Stylebook And Libel Manual

Bridget Jones
Apr 29, 2007 Bridget Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book still haunts me, I probably haven't picked it up in a decade.
CD
Oct 18, 2008 CD rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally found my copy of this and so it needed to be added to the 'Goodreads list!

An interesting and vital handbook and reference to any writer. Particularly of interest and worth to those writing for mass consumption and those keeping up with the world via journalistic sources.

Lots of information for the professional journalist as well as for those who may run across 'lingo' and euphemistic usage that occasionally leads to misinterpretation.

The newer version of this type of work add more res
David
Sep 02, 2007 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a reference guide to help reporters to be accurate, consistent and clear -- and to help editors keep them that way, this book has no rival. You don't have to be a reporter to benefit from it, though. This book offers practical guidance in so many areas. If you do any kind of writing, you will benefit from having this book on your desk.
Robert
Jan 30, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once upon a time I fancied myself a lexicographer. I still have a big interest in usage. To help me with that, I purchased this style guide. Of course, I learned from reading this that the AP does not necessarily follow its own book. With the dynamics of language, "the book" didn't have every reference I sought. Nevertheless, I find this an interesting reference.
Audrey
Useful for anyone in journalism as a reference book, but I wouldn't try and pick it up and read it cover to cover for entertainment.
Laura Shabott
Apr 17, 2013 Laura Shabott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a purist about grammar and spelling to the best of my ability. This helps me when I am writing.
Doug Page
"Effect' as a verb means to cause.
"Effect" as a noun means result.
"Affect" as a verb means to influence.
"Affect" as a noun is best avoided.
Mirvan  Ereon
Very useful and comprehensive. I learned a lot of things using this book and its always a wonder reading it.
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2008
Byronik
Byronik rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2012
e
e rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Jodi
Jodi rated it did not like it
Jul 31, 2011
Matthew Knisely
Matthew Knisely rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2011
Brenda Goheen
Brenda Goheen rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2009
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was ok
Dec 15, 2008
Denice
Denice rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2009
Caroline
Caroline rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Joanie
Joanie rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2013
Joanne Mendes
Joanne Mendes rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2016
C.M.J. Wallace
C.M.J. Wallace rated it did not like it
Nov 17, 2013
Liz Waters
Liz Waters rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2015
Ember DeBoer
Ember DeBoer rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2008
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2008
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2008
Judy
Judy rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2014
Jean Marie Angelo
The first manual most journalists use. I have read various editions multiple times.
Ed
Ed rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Robin Reese
Robin Reese rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2013
Rusden Scott
Rusden Scott rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2014
Shana
Shana rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
  • A Handbook to Literature
  • How to Write a Book Proposal
  • The Critical Tradition: Classic Texts and Contemporary Trends
  • Literature and the Writing Process [with New MyLiteratureLab Access Card Package]
  • A Writer's Reference: With 2003 MLA Update
  • Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus (21st Century Reference)
  • The Genius of Language: Fifteen Writers Reflect on Their Mother Tongue
  • 100 Great Operas and Their Stories: Act-by-Act Synopses
  • A History of Christian Thought Volume II: From Augustine to the Eve of the Reformation
  • Shiny Adidas Tracksuits and the Death of Camp and Other Essays from Might Magazine
  • The Little, Brown Compact Handbook
  • Understanding English Grammar
  • The Chicago Manual of Style
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • McSweeney's #11
  • The Craft of Revision
  • Readers Digest North American Wildlife
The Associated Press is an American news agency. The AP is a cooperative owned by its contributing newspapers, radio and television stations in the United States, which both contribute stories to the AP and use material written by its staff journalists. Many newspapers and broadcasters outside the United States are AP subscribers, paying a fee to use AP material without being contributing members ...more
More about Associated Press...