Start by marking “The Dark Door (Constance and Charlie, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Door (Constance and Charlie, #2)

The Dark Door (Constance and Charlie #2)

Private investigator Charlie Meiklejohn is called on to follow the trail of a suspected arsonist but finds himself teaming up with his quarry to face a much deeper problem: a malfunctioning space probe spreading insanity in its wake.
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published May 1st 1993 by Leisure Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Door

Amanda
Apr 16, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
Intriguing premise. I liked the relationship between the characters, and how they were ordinary people with regular lives who stumbled into something incomprehensible. Reminiscent of early Dean Koontz.
Peggy
Jul 14, 2015 Peggy rated it liked it
I listened to this audiobook. While this is classified a science fiction, for the most part it has more of a mystery feel. A space probe from an alien planet has malfunctioned and is on earth creating madness, murder, and other unexplainable phenomena. Those touched by the probe rarely escape unharmed, but one man does escape. He has no idea what this evil is, but he knows it's patterns. He travels around the country trying to burn the evil out of abandoned buildings. I thought it was an enjoyab ...more
Sandi
May 24, 2015 Sandi rated it really liked it
Believable storyline though underdeveloped still. Characters are great and the story idea is really good. Needed a longer novel to develop the story.
Molly
Jun 19, 2016 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the Charlie and Constance series is a mystery series, weaving science fiction in with mystery is a novel twist. The more I read of Wilhelm, the more I like the way she twists the plots.
Katharine
Jul 22, 2015 Katharine rated it it was ok
suspenseful
pulpy characters with conventional gender stereotypes
not my bag, but made a fun comparison to the Southern Reach trilogy
Mia
Jan 04, 2015 Mia added it
Like the characters a lot. Start withy the Hamlet Trap, waiting for book 3 to come available on the library wait list
Diana Simpson
Apr 03, 2016 Diana Simpson rated it liked it
Entertaining. Somewhere between a mystery and sci-fi. Will read another of Kate Wilhelm's books
Jay Michaels
This novel works on several different levels. The beginning and end are science fiction, the body of the story is a mystery with seemingly paranormal events (which are much more satisfying with the SF background laid first), and a detective mystery.

A good re-entry for me into Kate Wilhelm's excellent brand of storytelling. Now to wait for her SF collection "The Downstairs Room" to be re-released. ;-D

Oct. 3, 2012.
David
Starting to read this book, I wondered what Charles and Constance had to do with space probes. I mean, Charles and Constance are not sci-fi. They have some idea of what is going on by the end of the book, but no idea of the scale.

It's not a gripping book, but if you like Kate Wilhelm, or have read other Charles and Constance books, and liked them, you will like this one as well.
Cindy
Jan 15, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it
This is the third Constance and Charlie book I have read. I was very surprised about the way this story went. Liked it and will read the next in the series.
Jan
Jan 31, 2013 Jan rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, audiobook
Think it might be a good book for me to listen to while painting. Pub Weekly says "Wilhelm is in top form as the thriller plot races along while characters teeter over an abyss of insanity and loss." Here's hoping.

Well, it was not a bad book to listen to while doing something else. If you like supernatural horror, that is.
Lisabet Sarai
May 01, 2011 Lisabet Sarai rated it liked it
Kate Wilhelm is, in my opinion, a sadly unappreciated author of science fiction, but this book did not measure up to some of her other novels. The book offers compelling characterization and a good deal of action, but it could as easily be a ghost story as sci fi.
Alex
May 13, 2010 Alex rated it liked it
I was surprised to have bought a science-fiction book, but it is nevetheless also a detective story, only with supernatural phenomenons. A good read, but I still much prefer the Barbara Holloway series.
Cindy
Sep 30, 2013 Cindy rated it it was ok
Love Anna Fields narration (RIP, Anna), enjoy Kate Wilhelm, like the interaction of the main characters just not a science-fi fan.
Carrie Naughton
May 27, 2015 Carrie Naughton rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, scifi, lsq
I reviewed this audiobook over at Luna Station Quarterly.
Timothy Neesam
Apr 13, 2013 Timothy Neesam rated it it was ok
Finished it, but only just. Can't say much more than that. Started with a great premise, ended poorly. I'll leave it at that.
Barbara
Apr 29, 2008 Barbara rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the quirky mix of mystery and science fiction. Kate Wilhelm does this kind of quick particularly well.
Thannasset
Jul 22, 2007 Thannasset rated it really liked it
Mystery story, horror story, good intro to a detective team--all disguised as science fiction.
Anne C.
Nov 30, 2012 Anne C. rated it really liked it
Pretty gripping. I love Wilhelm's characters and language.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good blend of SF and Mystery
Bill Rakowski
Liked it.
James
James marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Lynn Musser
Lynn Musser rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2016
Sammy Chapman
Sammy Chapman rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Senorborrito
Senorborrito rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2016
  • Working Stiff (Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. #5)
  • Schemers (Nameless Detective, #33)
  • Sturgeon is Alive and Well
  • Seven Alone
  • Murder Unprompted
  • The Shores of Space
  • Angel of Destruction (Jurisdiction, Book 4)
  • Five-Twelfths of Heaven (Roads of Heaven, #1)
  • The Ghost Sister
  • Cold Allies
  • The White Serpent (Novels of Vis, #3)
  • Options
  • Retief At Large
  • Exiles To Glory
  • Jerlayne
Kate Wilhelm has won the Hugo and several Nebula Awards. She is the widow of author and editor Damon Knight.
More about Kate Wilhelm...

Constance and Charlie (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • With Thimbles, With Forks, and Hope (Constance and Charlie, #.5)
  • The Hamlet Trap (Constance and Charlie, #1)
  • Smart House (Constance and Charlie, #3)
  • Sweet, Sweet Poison (Constance and Charlie, #4)
  • Seven Kinds of Death (Constance and Charlie, #5)
  • Whisper Her Name (Constance and Charlie, #6)
  • Torch Song (Constance and Charlie)
  • Sister Angel  (Constance and Charlie)
  • The Gorgon Fields
  • All For One (Constance and Charlie)