Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel : A Guide to Outwitting Your Boss, Your Coworkers, and the Other Pants-Wearing Ferrets in Your Life (Dilbert: Business #5)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  777 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Back after a four-year hiatus, New York Times best-selling author Scott Adams presents an outrageous look at work, home, and everyday life in his new book, Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel. Building on Dilbert’s theory that “All people are idiots,” Adams now says, “All people are idiots. And they are also weasels.” Just ask anyone who worked at Enron.

In this book, Adams t...more
Published October 21st 2003 by HarperBusiness (first published November 14th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel

Shikha Pillai
This was my first Dilbert book, so I am sold on it heavily (unlike others who say this is his weakest work).

I even contemplated making WoW my office Bible, just so I could be reminded each day not to take corporate-ness seriously. You see, if you can actually suspend your assumption that this book is just humor, you may experience an enlightenment of sorts - suddenly, all the other management books you've read on high performance and corporate citizenship and ethics and leadership, seems like el...more
Saralyn
Irreverent, sarcastic, laugh-out-loud funny. Gotta love Dilbert even if I don't understand him all the time.
Vaibhav Anand
Do not read this book if you are working in a large corporate! It will make you cynical, bitter and suspicious… It will also mean that you will connect a real life work situation to something in the book and end up laughing in a rather serious meeting (like I did). In fact, a couple of renowned Business Schools have singled out Adams’ books as important commentary on the workplace (or so the blurbs on the books say: with Adams, you are never quite sure what to take seriously and what not.)

Jokes...more
Andrew
While I love Scott Adams' writing, generally speaking, this has been the weakest of his books I've read so far. While all his cynical, bitter ramblings are out in full force, it lacks his usual tendency to include his own harebrained thoughts, crackpot theories, and general ruminations. Instead you get a self-deprecating tiny bald man from Californian telling you about all the ways people are sneaky to one another. It's funny of course; he's still got a real talent for his brand of humor, but th...more
Tom Franklin
Those parts of DILBERT AND THE WAY OF THE WEASEL that are cartoon-laden are amusing. Some are even downright funny.

Those parts that go on for several pages without cartoons tend to either be over-long, boring or, worse, offensive.

In one such section Adams dismisses the notion of a Glass Ceiling for women in the workplace based on the supposition that men are better at kissing the posterior of those men above them in the management chain. (He was being serious.)

Some sections of this book seemed...more
Gajah
Moderately humorous at the beginning, but the cynicism is a bit much for me, and the last third just isn't that funny.
Jo
Overall, this is a great comedy book, but not a "business" book as labeled by Barnes & Noble. Scott's satirical humor is great, but please don't look for this book to find productivity. Also, I warn that there are many sexist comments from Scott, entailing that "women are weasels". I'm not an enthusiast feminist but I have to say Adams overdid it by adding that women have made masculinity unacceptable. There is a fine line between masculinity and rudeness, but he says that men cannot "scratc...more
Scott Martin
Listened to the audiobook. Not that bad a listen/read, especially in international traffic. It had its moments, and much of the writing ties in with the themes from the comic strip. It was a nice touch that the author decided to do the narration. However, even the abridgement seemed like it was too much and it got a little old and predictable. The comic strip is one of the best on the planet (very few other mediums can effectively convey the office environment), but the book...eh, not quite as e...more
Shashank

Scott Adams presents what he comprehends as weasels in everyday life,in this book.The first 150 pages are a riot and well easy to get through,but then are followed up with 200 pages wherein he drawls on for the majority of the time about how moronic people are as well the problems he has with plumbers and marketing people,culminating in the cartoons drying up.Yes,Mr.Adams,we understand you are a misanthrophic sociopath,but please stop trying too hard to be funny,stick to what works.

P.S. Needless...more
Taunya
hilarious, true, and insightful
Evilynn
I speed read this before book crossing it, thinking I wouldn't bother reading it at all. I got sucked in by the emails sent to Scott Adams, they're all insane, mostly hilarious and the recognition factor is (frighteningly enough) huge for those of us who work in offices. That said, this is a very uneven book. I felt the first half was funny and made sense, and then the second half was all over the place, especially the last hundred page, and I can't help but wonder if he's paid per page...

Off t...more
Justin
Scott Adams is just as successfully biting and satirical as in his other books, though as I've mentioned before, his books tend to blend together after a while. His greatest success comes from his ability (like many other great authors and satirists) to take the everyday and point out the comically absurd, hypocritical, and comically negative. Recommended to people who already understand the world isn't fair (probably a bit hard to take otherwise).
Ram
Damn so hilarious! Scott Adams has the ingenuity of explaining the bitter truths of the corporate culture in a funny way. As the review in the book cover says "Funny, Apt, Relentless..." is so true that I enjoyed each and every page of the book. You cannot dismiss the facts, rather humorous, pointed out by Scott Adams. He has become one of my favourite authors :)
Suleman Ali
Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel is another humourous guide to the office environment from Scott Adams.

This is one of my favourite Dilbert books from Adams as it focuses of the desperate (and funny) lengths people go to, in order to survive and thrive in the modern workplace.

More Dilbert fun and humour which had me laughing and nodding in agreement.
Jeri
May 20, 2008 Jeri rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cubicle dwellers
If you work, or have ever worked in an office environment, this book is hilarious... and true! Adams is a great writer, throws in funny anecdotes, cartoons from his famous Dilbert strip and e-mails from fans in with the book in a really funny and well-constructed way. I really enjoyed this book and most of it is so true-to-life that it's disturbing.
Chad
I enjoyed this audio book on my commute to and from work. Scott Adams provides a lot of good "weasel" examples throughout this book. This first half had me laughing out loud, but it started to wear thin in the second half when he gets away from the office setting. Overall this is an entertaining book and one that I enjoyed listening to.
I was moderately embarrassed to be reading a Dilbert book, and the section on women just confirmed it. Scott Adams needs to get new material - this was pretty much the last several, rehashed. Making fun of corporate overlords and their arbitrary decisions is as relevant now as ever, but Adams has just stopped being as fresh at it.
Shelleen
Funny at first but seemed to be repetitive. Scott Adams tends has a gift at being able to classify people. I think Dilbert cartoons are very funny and are accurate but embellished reality. He is however incredibly negative. You get the feeling that he has never met anyone in life that he likes.
Alen
I own several Dilbert comic strips, but I was hesitant to read this book when it was given to me buy one of those really unfunny people. It turns out I found this book quite entertaining and funny, specially the Dear Adams letters, I found myself giggling at the weasels titles.

Ari
I have always been a fan. Adams is a genius. He has the unique ability to see a business situation and see how crazy and messed up it is. Now that I work in an office, these books have become my bible. Every word is true.
Brian
One of the funniest books I have ever read. With tremendous insight to offices and corporate culture, it offers a humorous take on everyday activity and is a quick but entertaining read.
Wilton314
As will all things Dilbert by Scott Adams this one is a very funny collection of his comic strips. It is unnerving at times how accurate it is in describing places I have worked.
Mark Nenadov
Wow! This book is a riot. Worst of all, it accurately describes many places of employement!

This is the second Scott Adams book I've read, and I would highly recommend it!
Jan
In between laughs, at least once (probably many times) you are bound to look around your office or home and ask yourself: "Where was that cartoonist hiding".
Aaron Guilmette
I couldn't stop laughing as I identified people that I've worked with throughout my career who used the various Weasel methods to get what they wanted.
Vidya Karanth
this was my first Scott Adams Dilbert book. I do read the Dilbert comic strips and really enjoy them. This book was also equally entertaining to read and good.
Doug Trouten
Scott Adams is always entertaining and insightful. Reading his books makes me think, "I keep getting more cynical, but I can't keep up."
Did not like the narrator of this audio book: he needed a dryer style, he was way too heavy with the sarcastic tone.
Stacy
I think I've already read this, but there are some Dilbert-like people that I'm having to deal with!
Girish
ROFL! You will never view office the same after you read this book. One of the books that changed my life :P
  • Essential Silver Surfer, Vol. 1
  • Spider-Man: The Ultimate Guide
  • Boogers Are My Beat: More Lies, But Some Actual Journalism!
  • Tintin in the New World: A Romance
  • The Far Side Observer
  • The Boys' Book: How To Be The Best At Everything
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • Johnny Cash: I See a Darkness
  • Stars and Stripes in Peril (Stars & Stripes, #2)
  • Garfield Tips the Scales (Garfield, #8)
  • More Joel on Software: Further Thoughts on Diverse and Occasionally Related Matters That Will Prove of Interest to Software Developers, Designers, and Managers, and to Those Who, Whether by Good Fortune or Ill Luck, Work with Them in Some Capacity

Adams was born in Windham, New York in 1957 and received his Bachelor's degree in Economics from Hartwick College in 1979.

He also studied economics and management for his 1986 MBA from the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley.

In recent years, Ada...more
More about Scott Adams...
Fugitive from the Cubicle Police The Dilbert Principle : A Cubicle's-Eye View of Bosses, Meetings, Management Fads & Other Workplace Afflictions God's Debris : A Thought Experiment Always Postpone Meetings with Time-Wasting Morons The Dilbert Future : Thriving on Stupidity in the 21st Century

“If you spend all your time arguing with people who are nuts, you'll be exhausted and the nuts will still be nuts.” 54 likes