Start by marking “Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel: A Guide to Outwitting Your Boss, Your Coworkers, and the Other Pants-Wearing Ferrets in Your Life” as Want to Read:

Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel: A Guide to Outwitting Your Boss, Your Coworkers, and the Other Pants-Wearing Ferrets in Your Life (Dilbert: Business #5)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  996 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Back after a four-year hiatus, New York Times best-selling author Scott Adams presents an outrageous look at work, home, and everyday life in his new book, Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel. Building on Dilbert’s theory that “All people are idiots,” Adams now says, “All people are idiots. And they are also weasels.” Just ask anyone who worked at Enron.

In this book, Adams t
Published October 21st 2003 by HarperBusiness (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel

Shikha Pillai
Feb 13, 2013 Shikha Pillai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: management, humor
This was my first Dilbert book, so I am sold on it heavily (unlike others who say this is his weakest work).

I even contemplated making WoW my office Bible, just so I could be reminded each day not to take corporate-ness seriously. You see, if you can actually suspend your assumption that this book is just humor, you may experience an enlightenment of sorts - suddenly, all the other management books you've read on high performance and corporate citizenship and ethics and leadership, seems like el
Elaine Meszaros
Dec 03, 2014 Elaine Meszaros rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It was one of my saving graces while working for The Evil Company. Adams takes the view that most people are weasels. You can either be the victim of weasels, or become a weasel yourself. Illustrated with numerous Dilbert cartoon and real letters sent from Dilbert fans, Adams shows the many ways in which we are jerked around by other weasels. He also offers step-by-step lessons on becoming a weasel yourself. My favorite - don’t apologize directly. Instead, say you are "Sorry yo ...more
Saralyn
Feb 26, 2008 Saralyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Irreverent, sarcastic, laugh-out-loud funny. Gotta love Dilbert even if I don't understand him all the time.
Vaibhav Anand
Do not read this book if you are working in a large corporate! It will make you cynical, bitter and suspicious… It will also mean that you will connect a real life work situation to something in the book and end up laughing in a rather serious meeting (like I did). In fact, a couple of renowned Business Schools have singled out Adams’ books as important commentary on the workplace (or so the blurbs on the books say: with Adams, you are never quite sure what to take seriously and what not.)

Jokes
Maria  D
Dec 17, 2014 Maria D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My advice about this book: don't read it all at once. Put it in your bathroom.

This is probably one of the best bathroom books ever created. It's a book to open, get fueled by a great random comic/reader's letter/ Scott Adams's insight about stuff, and proceed with your life.

The book is as witty, insightful, true and funny as Scott Adams can be, but no use trying to ingest it all at once.
Enjoy!
Meghan
Mar 07, 2016 Meghan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dilbert
I liked this book because it showed so many funny things. I have shared this book with classmates and they also liked it. It may or may not have caused a disruption, sorry Mrs. Banworth. Would definitely recommend, but you should know about the tooth fairy, you know, who it is. It is mentioned and I don't want to ruin childhoods.
Todd Stockslager
Jun 09, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
OK, silly cartoons in a flyweight "management" book hardly seems the stuff of classic, but the cartoons are pointed illustrations of serious (really!) but not overwrought commentary about the way we work and live (really!).
Alokmahajan
May 25, 2016 Alokmahajan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic read, Scott Adams is a master of writing office satire. He has very closely observed the human behavior . I related to so many incidents written in the book. Its a modern day philip kotler!
Andrew
While I love Scott Adams' writing, generally speaking, this has been the weakest of his books I've read so far. While all his cynical, bitter ramblings are out in full force, it lacks his usual tendency to include his own harebrained thoughts, crackpot theories, and general ruminations. Instead you get a self-deprecating tiny bald man from Californian telling you about all the ways people are sneaky to one another. It's funny of course; he's still got a real talent for his brand of humor, but th ...more
Tom Franklin
Those parts of DILBERT AND THE WAY OF THE WEASEL that are cartoon-laden are amusing. Some are even downright funny.

Those parts that go on for several pages without cartoons tend to either be over-long, boring or, worse, offensive.

In one such section Adams dismisses the notion of a Glass Ceiling for women in the workplace based on the supposition that men are better at kissing the posterior of those men above them in the management chain. (He was being serious.)

Some sections of this book seemed
Adam Bockler
The whole book is snark, a satire. That's fine, but I prefer to read things I feel like will enhance my skillset.
Gajah
Aug 09, 2014 Gajah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Moderately humorous at the beginning, but the cynicism is a bit much for me, and the last third just isn't that funny.
Abhinav
Immensely readable and certainly worth going through the entire 350 odd pages.

3 and a half stars rather than an outright 4.
Quinn
Jul 10, 2015 Quinn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good and short. Adams is not as funny in book form but still good for a chuckle or two.
Jo
Oct 01, 2011 Jo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this is a great comedy book, but not a "business" book as labeled by Barnes & Noble. Scott's satirical humor is great, but please don't look for this book to find productivity. Also, I warn that there are many sexist comments from Scott, entailing that "women are weasels". I'm not an enthusiast feminist but I have to say Adams overdid it by adding that women have made masculinity unacceptable. There is a fine line between masculinity and rudeness, but he says that men cannot "scratc ...more
Scott Martin
Listened to the audiobook. Not that bad a listen/read, especially in international traffic. It had its moments, and much of the writing ties in with the themes from the comic strip. It was a nice touch that the author decided to do the narration. However, even the abridgement seemed like it was too much and it got a little old and predictable. The comic strip is one of the best on the planet (very few other mediums can effectively convey the office environment), but the book...eh, not quite as e ...more
Mark Wilson
Aug 27, 2015 Mark Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, satire
Very funny, and probably more true that I'd like to admit!
Ivan Taylor
Apr 05, 2015 Ivan Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dilbert is funny. But the weasel is not a nice character.
Bindiya
Oct 09, 2014 Bindiya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE Best Management Book I have ever read!
Shashank

Scott Adams presents what he comprehends as weasels in everyday life,in this book.The first 150 pages are a riot and well easy to get through,but then are followed up with 200 pages wherein he drawls on for the majority of the time about how moronic people are as well the problems he has with plumbers and marketing people,culminating in the cartoons drying up.Yes,Mr.Adams,we understand you are a misanthrophic sociopath,but please stop trying too hard to be funny,stick to what works.

P.S. Needless
Ty Bedell
May 14, 2016 Ty Bedell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was fun. I knew it would be.
Taunya
Aug 01, 2014 Taunya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
hilarious, true, and insightful
Evilynn
Feb 18, 2010 Evilynn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010
I speed read this before book crossing it, thinking I wouldn't bother reading it at all. I got sucked in by the emails sent to Scott Adams, they're all insane, mostly hilarious and the recognition factor is (frighteningly enough) huge for those of us who work in offices. That said, this is a very uneven book. I felt the first half was funny and made sense, and then the second half was all over the place, especially the last hundred page, and I can't help but wonder if he's paid per page...

Off t
Justin
Oct 19, 2009 Justin rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
Scott Adams is just as successfully biting and satirical as in his other books, though as I've mentioned before, his books tend to blend together after a while. His greatest success comes from his ability (like many other great authors and satirists) to take the everyday and point out the comically absurd, hypocritical, and comically negative. Recommended to people who already understand the world isn't fair (probably a bit hard to take otherwise).
Jay
Aug 21, 2015 Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2015
I feel like this was a reread for me, but I didn't get it recorded whenever I read it before. I love the way Scott Adams thinks: so differently from me. I'll probably never aspire to be a weasel, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy reading about their culture.
Ram
Damn so hilarious! Scott Adams has the ingenuity of explaining the bitter truths of the corporate culture in a funny way. As the review in the book cover says "Funny, Apt, Relentless..." is so true that I enjoyed each and every page of the book. You cannot dismiss the facts, rather humorous, pointed out by Scott Adams. He has become one of my favourite authors :)
Suleman Ali
May 29, 2013 Suleman Ali rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel is another humourous guide to the office environment from Scott Adams.

This is one of my favourite Dilbert books from Adams as it focuses of the desperate (and funny) lengths people go to, in order to survive and thrive in the modern workplace.

More Dilbert fun and humour which had me laughing and nodding in agreement.
Jeri
May 20, 2008 Jeri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cubicle dwellers
If you work, or have ever worked in an office environment, this book is hilarious... and true! Adams is a great writer, throws in funny anecdotes, cartoons from his famous Dilbert strip and e-mails from fans in with the book in a really funny and well-constructed way. I really enjoyed this book and most of it is so true-to-life that it's disturbing.
Chad
Dec 29, 2013 Chad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, audio-cd
I enjoyed this audio book on my commute to and from work. Scott Adams provides a lot of good "weasel" examples throughout this book. This first half had me laughing out loud, but it started to wear thin in the second half when he gets away from the office setting. Overall this is an entertaining book and one that I enjoyed listening to.
I was moderately embarrassed to be reading a Dilbert book, and the section on women just confirmed it. Scott Adams needs to get new material - this was pretty much the last several, rehashed. Making fun of corporate overlords and their arbitrary decisions is as relevant now as ever, but Adams has just stopped being as fresh at it.
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 4
  • Stories for the Heart-The Original Collection: 110 Stories to Encourage Your Soul
  • The Fantasy Hall of Fame
  • The Mammoth Book of SF Wars
  • Essential Silver Surfer, Vol. 1
  • Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story That Sells
  • Sudden Fiction International: 60 Short-Short Stories
  • The Far Side Observer
  • The Leaky Establishment
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: The Completely MAD Don Martin
  • Footrot Flats 1 (Footrot Flats, #1)
  • Here Comes Garfield
  • The Boys' Book: How To Be The Best At Everything
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1963-1966
  • Tintin in the New World
  • Boogers Are My Beat: More Lies, But Some Actual Journalism!
  • Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized)
  • Planet of No Return

Adams was born in Windham, New York in 1957 and received his Bachelor's degree in Economics from Hartwick College in 1979.

He also studied economics and management for his 1986 MBA from the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley.

In recent years, Ada
More about Scott Adams...

Dilbert: Business (5 books)
  • The Dilbert Principle: A Cubicle's-Eye View of Bosses, Meetings, Management Fads & Other Workplace Afflictions
  • Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook
  • The Dilbert Future: Thriving on Stupidity in the 21st Century
  • The Joy of Work: Dilbert's Guide to Finding Happiness at the Expense of Your Co-Workers

“If you spend all your time arguing with people who are nuts, you'll be exhausted and the nuts will still be nuts.” 57 likes