Start by marking “The Dilbert Future : Thriving on Stupidity in the 21st Century” as Want to Read:
The Dilbert Future : Thriving on Stupidity in the 21st Century

The Dilbert Future : Thriving on Stupidity in the 21st Century (Dilbert: Business #3)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,442 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Step aside, Bill Gates! Here comes today′s real technology guru and his totally original, laugh-out-loud New York Times bestseller that looks at the approaching new millennium and boldly predicts: more stupidity ahead.

In The Dilbert Principle and Dogbert′s Top Secret Management Handbook, Scott Adams skewered the absurdities of the corporate world. Now he takes the next log
Published September 1st 1998 by Boxtree (first published May 14th 1997)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Subtle Knife by Philip PullmanElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineInto Thin Air by Jon KrakauerGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond
Best Books of 1997
47th out of 224 books — 116 voters
The Eyre Affair by Jasper FfordeThe Once and Future King by T.H. WhiteWe Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Ou... by Philip GourevitchThe Third Chimpanzee by Jared DiamondIf Tomorrow Comes by Sidney Sheldon
mañana/ i morgon/ tomorrow
15th out of 15 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Monica
If you like snarky, self-depreciating humor, Dilbert is for you. I love it! The only reasons that this is 4 stars instead of 5 is
1. I read it too late. If I had read this book when it first came out, it would definitely have achieved 5 star funny. As it stands, it is a bit outdated with some of the "predictions" actually having come to fruition already but it is very appropriate for a "Throw-back Thursday Facebook" recollection and
2. Adams goes off the deep end a bit in the last chapter. I'm n
Dave
“The Dilbert Future: Thriving on Stupidity in the 21st Century” is another one of Adams’ books which looks at the insanity many of us face each day as we head to work for a large corporation. It also looks at the future and offers a humorous perspective on the future of work, society, and the “induhvidual”.

Reading this book is like a one-on-one session with Scott Adams. His perspective is not thinly veiled behind a cartoon strip, though there are many sprinkled throughout the book to better ill
Nazatul Akhma Fuaddin
I really envy people who could spin something so serious and nerdy into something hilarious! I’ve seen Dilbert comic strips before but was never really into it. I guess having known management terms and practice would make you appreciate the jokes better. The last chapter of the book was a bit heavy though. But it just goes to show that Scott Adams is a deep-thinking man of science and not simply a silly cartoonist. I was surprised to learn that Scott Adams himself is a great believer of Affirma ...more
melydia
Scott Adams is a cartoonist. He is not a stand-up comedian nor is he Dave Barry, though this book makes it quite clear that he really wants to be. Still, there is a reason he tells jokes in three-panel comic strips instead of 30-minute monologues. Here he addresses various aspects of life and makes tongue-in-cheek predictions, interspersed with Dilbert cartoons. It was obviously written in sections rather than as a whole, and the entire time all I could think about was how much more fitting thes ...more
Brian
I laughed so hard that I couldn't breath at one point (computer troubleshooters telling incompetent execs to straighten out their computer cables because, while the 0's can fit through okay, sometimes the 1's get stuck with their pointy edges).

Overall, it's like eating popcorn. It's an activity, but you're not really getting a nutritious meal. Which, hopefully, is why you're reading a book from a cartoonist.
Mischelle
Nov 01, 2009 Mischelle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: If you love humor
This book is just too funny til it gets too serious at the end. There's a some comic strips that had me rolling. One is the strip of Dilbert having a doll in the image of his boss sitting on the monitor. After the boss leave's Dilbert's cubical, Dilbert tells the doll to stop popping in his cubical and whacks the doll off the monitor. I had tears in my eyes at that one. I feel like that with every boss and supervisor I've ever had.

Another one is the strip of Dilbert filling out a expense report.
Black&white
If you enjoy the comics you will probably like this one, humour is similar and things are always kept very tongue in cheek and ridiculous in order not to overdo it. Except for the final chapter. It isn’t great literature or anything or all that aptly made but it is a light and fun read.
Kris Jou
Scott Adams hasn't been easy to like in recent times for various internet activities I'd rather not detail. Which kind of ruins some of the enjoyment I had for his comics and his books. The Dilbert Principle is still one of the funniest non-fiction books that I had read, and I would gladly revisit it to see if it holds up to my initial thoughts. Alas, Dilbert Future doesn't match Principle. It started off well enough as Adams predicts the future of technology and corporation, and aside from ment ...more
Michael O'Donnell

A good read. It dated a bit but still the universal themes of stupidity shone through. The last implication of chaos theory will live with me for over. Not sure if I can use it to take over the world. Not sure if I would want it.
Zach
Overall not Adams best work.

First half, seems like a stream of random thoughts, as if he is attempting to quickly fill a book with random ideas, something to meet publisher's deadline, also you get the feeling that some of his humor is better as more visual.

Second half, he gets back to what (at least I think) makes his strip at times truly brilliant, humor about work place absurdity--ideas such as "negative work", who is well suited for telework, the Dilbert Principle about management, lack of
Omkar Ekbote
In a nutshell, this is just Scott Adams being good ol' Scott. 10 years after we wrote this book, most of his predictions have (surprise surprise) not come true! But nonetheless, its amusing to read about them and admit that in some dark corner, you too wished for those!

The last chapter though - is Scott Adams NOT being Scott Adams. Its almost like his (good) twin brother wrote it: its scientific, insightful and thought-provoking. I'm not saying the rest of the book doesn't do that (it provokes a
Alain Aguilar
A wonderful book. easily readable in 2 hours It highlights today life issue in a comically fun way. A must read even if the information is a little off.
Chetna
Great read.
Not for the jokes but rather all of Scott Adams' concepts.
The take on the life in other planets is hillarious, that how it is just the intelligent people living in some sectors of earth. I so totally agreed with The incompetence line and how engg degree has expiry period while eco fundas can be applied anywhere!Future of work had to be great being the forte.

It does have its share of whats-there-to-laugh moments, though. But with Dilbert, i don't find them unexpected.

Also, being more
António Godinho
Very funny but I especially like the end of the book, where Adams gets philosophical and challenges the materialistic paradigm.
Marsha
Mr. Adams has no great faith in human nature. He’s certain that three things about human nature will remain constant: selfishness, stupidity, horniness. Because of that, the future envisioned by Star Trek devotees just ain’t gonna happen.

Hilarious, acerbic, acidic, Mr. Adams doesn’t give you ways of dealing with your fellow men as removing you from their gun sights while keeping a sharp eye on their rotten behavioral tactics. His keen insight for human foibles remains unabated and this book is j
Ambrose Miles
Scott Adams is a very funny guy. This being said, I wonder why he didn't give Dilbert a mouth? Dilbert doesn't have a mouth, yet talks. That in itself is funny.
Ivan Taylor
Another good Dilbert book. Now that I am retired I can look back at the cubicle life for some humour.
Rex Libris
Scott Adams makes various predictions of whatthe future will be like. Some touch some serious issues such as "designer children," others are lighter and take pot shots and business and technology.

In the final chapter Adams gets kind of weird and on a Richard Bach/Jonathan Livingston Seagull riff.

Teh best part of the book is, of course, the cartoons liberally sprinkled throughout the text.
Ranjit
A really Scott Adams version of 'Future Shock'.
Doc Opp
Scott Adams is really a genius. Not only does he write funny comics, and funny prose, but he manages to work in meaningful social commentary to trick people into thinking! Anyway, this book has some disturbingly accurate predictions as well as some crazy, off the wall ones. The first 13 chapters are a joy to read. It only gets 4 stars because of the 14th chapter where Adams switches from humorous social commentary to new age philosophy which is interesting but not appropriate for a book of this ...more
Katrin
This book was a rather quick and entertaining read-through. I liked the combination of text and comic. Adams is shifting between humor and things, that have sadly come to pass already, so it's not just a non-stop-laugh. But I laughed out loudly a few times and could not stop reading it all to the end. The last chapter is quite mind-boggling, I loved that he showed us not just the humorous side. I wonder if he shouldn't write a book about that and not include it in this book.
Suleman Ali
The Dilbert Future, takes a fun look at the bland and at time absurd world of mondern office work.

As anyone who has ever had the misfortune of working in a cubicle farm, Dilbert is popular because it hits home with many of the absurdities you face eveyrday. The Dilbert Future delves more deeply into this 'other world' with the same sense of humour as the comics.

I enjoyable and fun book to read, especially for those who have worked in an office.
Mike Ely
This is a really funny book. Written before Y2K, it's pretty surprising how many of Adams silly predictions actually came true! I always enjoy Dilbert. While there were a few of the chapters that were pretty slow, overall this was a very good read.
Justin
Scott Adams' books are all comically brilliant though they tend to blend together a bit after a while. Dilbert Future is notable for its last chapter, where he "departs from the comedy" for a moment and becomes sincerely philosophical. Truly curious and insightful comments can be found there about the nature of reality as we see it and I go so far as to say it has impacted my own philosophy about life and its inner workings.
Helen Quinn
I read this book in 2000 and apart from being extraordinarily funny it also had a huge impact on me and my life. I love Scott Adam's work but this book became the genesis for my own novel, well the part on affirmations and for some reason Scott Adam's version of affirmations really worked for me so on that basis alone I recommend buying it.
Julian
Jun 09, 2013 Julian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
What could you not like about Dilbert audios. I can only assume they are aimed at male 18-40 technology employees that work in an office environment. So if you fit into this category, you will love it.

All the funny quips and social commentary that this and all his other books contain hit the mark so perfectly.

Highly recommended
Zack
Definitely an interesting read. You need to keep reminding yourself that it was written over 20 years ago, because otherwise many of the "predictions" can be read as commentary on current events (they're really accurate, is what I'm saying). The last chapter, while a significant break in the feel of the book, raises interesting ideas.
Mark Nenadov
I love Scott Adams stuff, but to be honest this wasn't the best he could do.

It did strike my funny bone quite a few times, but it gets a little tiresome and silly. While it was quite funny, some of the humor seemed a bit strained.

I would recommend The Dilbert Principle or Dilbert: The Way of The Weasel over this one.
Thiago
O início é chato, só piadas nerds sobre informática, mas depois da quadragésima página, toda a genialidade do Sr. Scott Adams aflora, com textos que são garantia de risada.
Pra completar, ao final do livro, um trecho que mistura metafísica, auto-ajuda e filosofia new age que deixa o tal do "O Segredo" no chinelo.
Susan
Amazing predictions...some of which I expect to come true! Scott Adams, with his clever observations of life in general, predicts the future of humans, and a few other animals, through sarcasm, wit and much humor. And I suspect he has stumbled onto one of life's best kept secrets...Read it and see if you agree!
Goodreads Librari...: Combine editions 2 19 Jun 22, 2012 10:32AM
  • Unnatural Selections
  • One Last Little Peek, 1980-1995: The Final Strips, the Special Hits, the Inside Tips
  • Essential Silver Surfer, Vol. 1
  • Doonesbury Dossier: The Reagan Years
  • Here Comes Garfield
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: The Completely MAD Don Martin
  • Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story That Sells

Adams was born in Windham, New York in 1957 and received his Bachelor's degree in Economics from Hartwick College in 1979.

He also studied economics and management for his 1986 MBA from the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley.

In recent years, Ada
More about Scott Adams...

Dilbert: Business (5 books)
  • The Dilbert Principle : A Cubicle's-Eye View of Bosses, Meetings, Management Fads & Other Workplace Afflictions
  • Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook
  • The Joy of Work : Dilbert's Guide to Finding Happiness at the Expense of Your Co-Workers
  • Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel
The Dilbert Principle : A Cubicle's-Eye View of Bosses, Meetings, Management Fads & Other Workplace Afflictions Fugitive from the Cubicle Police God's Debris : A Thought Experiment How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big : Kind of the Story of My Life Always Postpone Meetings with Time-Wasting Morons