Start by marking “The Dilbert Future: Thriving on Stupidity in the 21st Century” as Want to Read:
The Dilbert Future: Thriving on Stupidity in the 21st Century

The Dilbert Future: Thriving on Stupidity in the 21st Century (Dilbert: Business #3)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  1,711 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Step aside, Bill Gates! Here comes today′s real technology guru and his totally original, laugh-out-loud New York Times bestseller that looks at the approaching new millennium and boldly predicts: more stupidity ahead.

In The Dilbert Principle and Dogbert′s Top Secret Management Handbook, Scott Adams skewered the absurdities of the corporate world. Now he takes the next log
Published September 1st 1998 by Boxtree (first published May 14th 1997)

melydia
Scott Adams is a cartoonist. He is not a stand-up comedian nor is he Dave Barry, though this book makes it quite clear that he really wants to be. Still, there is a reason he tells jokes in three-panel comic strips instead of 30-minute monologues. Here he addresses various aspects of life and makes tongue-in-cheek predictions, interspersed with Dilbert cartoons. It was obviously written in sections rather than as a whole, and the entire time all I could think about was how much more fitting thes ...more
Monica
Oct 29, 2013 Monica rated it really liked it
Shelves: ids-guide
If you like snarky, self-depreciating humor, Dilbert is for you. I love it! The only reasons that this is 4 stars instead of 5 is
1. I read it too late. If I had read this book when it first came out, it would definitely have achieved 5 star funny. As it stands, it is a bit outdated with some of the "predictions" actually having come to fruition already but it is very appropriate for a "Throw-back Thursday Facebook" recollection and
2. Adams goes off the deep end a bit in the last chapter. I'm n
Dave
Aug 19, 2010 Dave rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, humor
“The Dilbert Future: Thriving on Stupidity in the 21st Century” is another one of Adams’ books which looks at the insanity many of us face each day as we head to work for a large corporation. It also looks at the future and offers a humorous perspective on the future of work, society, and the “induhvidual”.

Reading this book is like a one-on-one session with Scott Adams. His perspective is not thinly veiled behind a cartoon strip, though there are many sprinkled throughout the book to better ill
Nazatul Akhma Fuaddin
I really envy people who could spin something so serious and nerdy into something hilarious! I’ve seen Dilbert comic strips before but was never really into it. I guess having known management terms and practice would make you appreciate the jokes better. The last chapter of the book was a bit heavy though. But it just goes to show that Scott Adams is a deep-thinking man of science and not simply a silly cartoonist. I was surprised to learn that Scott Adams himself is a great believer of Affirma ...more
Gaurav Mathur
Jul 17, 2013 Gaurav Mathur rated it liked it
I had very high hopes, as I admire Dilbert strips in general and am a big fan of The Dilbert Principle A Cubicle's-Eye View of Bosses Meetings Management Fads Other Workplace Afflictions, so, this was a bit of a disappointment.

In the first half, it became so boring that I was skipping the text and only reading the strips, and even they weren't so good. But the book really redeemed itself in the second half, somewhere around the chapter on the future of Marketing.

It's a bit dated, written in 2000
Mischelle
Mar 09, 2009 Mischelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: If you love humor
This book is just too funny til it gets too serious at the end. There's a some comic strips that had me rolling. One is the strip of Dilbert having a doll in the image of his boss sitting on the monitor. After the boss leave's Dilbert's cubical, Dilbert tells the doll to stop popping in his cubical and whacks the doll off the monitor. I had tears in my eyes at that one. I feel like that with every boss and supervisor I've ever had.

Another one is the strip of Dilbert filling out a expense report.
Omkar Ekbote
Apr 11, 2013 Omkar Ekbote rated it liked it
In a nutshell, this is just Scott Adams being good ol' Scott. 10 years after we wrote this book, most of his predictions have (surprise surprise) not come true! But nonetheless, its amusing to read about them and admit that in some dark corner, you too wished for those!

The last chapter though - is Scott Adams NOT being Scott Adams. Its almost like his (good) twin brother wrote it: its scientific, insightful and thought-provoking. I'm not saying the rest of the book doesn't do that (it provokes a
Zach
Nov 11, 2008 Zach rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Overall not Adams best work.

First half, seems like a stream of random thoughts, as if he is attempting to quickly fill a book with random ideas, something to meet publisher's deadline, also you get the feeling that some of his humor is better as more visual.

Second half, he gets back to what (at least I think) makes his strip at times truly brilliant, humor about work place absurdity--ideas such as "negative work", who is well suited for telework, the Dilbert Principle about management, lack of
Kris Jou
Scott Adams hasn't been easy to like in recent times for various internet activities I'd rather not detail. Which kind of ruins some of the enjoyment I had for his comics and his books. The Dilbert Principle is still one of the funniest non-fiction books that I had read, and I would gladly revisit it to see if it holds up to my initial thoughts. Alas, Dilbert Future doesn't match Principle. It started off well enough as Adams predicts the future of technology and corporation, and aside from ment ...more
Chetna
Mar 13, 2012 Chetna rated it really liked it
Great read.
Not for the jokes but rather all of Scott Adams' concepts.
The take on the life in other planets is hillarious, that how it is just the intelligent people living in some sectors of earth. I so totally agreed with The incompetence line and how engg degree has expiry period while eco fundas can be applied anywhere!Future of work had to be great being the forte.

It does have its share of whats-there-to-laugh moments, though. But with Dilbert, i don't find them unexpected.

Also, being more
Marsha
Apr 04, 2012 Marsha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, owned-books
Mr. Adams has no great faith in human nature. He’s certain that three things about human nature will remain constant: selfishness, stupidity, horniness. Because of that, the future envisioned by Star Trek devotees just ain’t gonna happen.

Hilarious, acerbic, acidic, Mr. Adams doesn’t give you ways of dealing with your fellow men as removing you from their gun sights while keeping a sharp eye on their rotten behavioral tactics. His keen insight for human foibles remains unabated and this book is j
Doc Opp
May 30, 2008 Doc Opp rated it really liked it
Scott Adams is really a genius. Not only does he write funny comics, and funny prose, but he manages to work in meaningful social commentary to trick people into thinking! Anyway, this book has some disturbingly accurate predictions as well as some crazy, off the wall ones. The first 13 chapters are a joy to read. It only gets 4 stars because of the 14th chapter where Adams switches from humorous social commentary to new age philosophy which is interesting but not appropriate for a book of this ...more
Ben
Oct 14, 2016 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun Dilbert comic read. Despite not working in that career type I've always found the Dilbert comics pretty funny, even as a kid. The two books I've read of his (so far) have been no different.

This book was funny and a bit poignant (him discussing Terrorism, when this was written in 1998), but the end of the book goes into a bit of a tail-dive with the paranormal stuff. Not sure the point/reasoning behind it's inclusion, and its not exactly meant to be funny and just is a poor way to wr
Ed
May 24, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
741.5973 Dilbert series - Subtitled: thriving on stupidity in the 21st century. Adams draws hilariously absurdist conclusions from his peripatetic observations. His targets include genetically engineered children, the chaos theory, life on other planets, euthanasia, frequent flier programs, clothes, and bicycle seats. Although Adams admits that it is impossible to know the future because the unexpected usually happens, he also argues that we will always be able to depend on the existence of stup ...more
Katrin
Aug 21, 2011 Katrin rated it liked it
This book was a rather quick and entertaining read-through. I liked the combination of text and comic. Adams is shifting between humor and things, that have sadly come to pass already, so it's not just a non-stop-laugh. But I laughed out loudly a few times and could not stop reading it all to the end. The last chapter is quite mind-boggling, I loved that he showed us not just the humorous side. I wonder if he shouldn't write a book about that and not include it in this book.
Rex Libris
Jan 05, 2014 Rex Libris rated it liked it
Scott Adams makes various predictions of whatthe future will be like. Some touch some serious issues such as "designer children," others are lighter and take pot shots and business and technology.

In the final chapter Adams gets kind of weird and on a Richard Bach/Jonathan Livingston Seagull riff.

Teh best part of the book is, of course, the cartoons liberally sprinkled throughout the text.
Suleman Ali
May 20, 2013 Suleman Ali rated it liked it
Shelves: humour
The Dilbert Future, takes a fun look at the bland and at time absurd world of mondern office work.

As anyone who has ever had the misfortune of working in a cubicle farm, Dilbert is popular because it hits home with many of the absurdities you face eveyrday. The Dilbert Future delves more deeply into this 'other world' with the same sense of humour as the comics.

I enjoyable and fun book to read, especially for those who have worked in an office.
Justin
Oct 14, 2009 Justin rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
Scott Adams' books are all comically brilliant though they tend to blend together a bit after a while. Dilbert Future is notable for its last chapter, where he "departs from the comedy" for a moment and becomes sincerely philosophical. Truly curious and insightful comments can be found there about the nature of reality as we see it and I go so far as to say it has impacted my own philosophy about life and its inner workings.
Brian
Nov 16, 2014 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: business
I laughed so hard that I couldn't breath at one point (computer troubleshooters telling incompetent execs to straighten out their computer cables because, while the 0's can fit through okay, sometimes the 1's get stuck with their pointy edges).

Overall, it's like eating popcorn. It's an activity, but you're not really getting a nutritious meal. Which, hopefully, is why you're reading a book from a cartoonist.
Julian
Jun 09, 2013 Julian rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
What could you not like about Dilbert audios. I can only assume they are aimed at male 18-40 technology employees that work in an office environment. So if you fit into this category, you will love it.

All the funny quips and social commentary that this and all his other books contain hit the mark so perfectly.

Highly recommended
Mark Nenadov
Jul 23, 2011 Mark Nenadov rated it liked it
Shelves: business, humor, dilbert
I love Scott Adams stuff, but to be honest this wasn't the best he could do.

It did strike my funny bone quite a few times, but it gets a little tiresome and silly. While it was quite funny, some of the humor seemed a bit strained.

I would recommend The Dilbert Principle or Dilbert: The Way of The Weasel over this one.
Thiago
Feb 05, 2008 Thiago rated it really liked it
O início é chato, só piadas nerds sobre informática, mas depois da quadragésima página, toda a genialidade do Sr. Scott Adams aflora, com textos que são garantia de risada.
Pra completar, ao final do livro, um trecho que mistura metafísica, auto-ajuda e filosofia new age que deixa o tal do "O Segredo" no chinelo.
Susan
Jul 31, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Amazing predictions...some of which I expect to come true! Scott Adams, with his clever observations of life in general, predicts the future of humans, and a few other animals, through sarcasm, wit and much humor. And I suspect he has stumbled onto one of life's best kept secrets...Read it and see if you agree!
Wicak Hidayat
Jul 03, 2007 Wicak Hidayat rated it really liked it
Shelves: onthe
Just begin to read this. Funny from the comics, and more fun from the writing/articles/prophecies. Oh and it turns out to have a very surprising ending.. the final chapter/s is like.. whoaa.. almost like a sci-fi mystery of some sorts. Anyway.. i'm trying out the affirmation experiment, just for fun.
Helen Quinn
Aug 11, 2013 Helen Quinn rated it it was amazing
I read this book in 2000 and apart from being extraordinarily funny it also had a huge impact on me and my life. I love Scott Adam's work but this book became the genesis for my own novel, well the part on affirmations and for some reason Scott Adam's version of affirmations really worked for me so on that basis alone I recommend buying it.
Zack
Jun 08, 2012 Zack rated it liked it
Definitely an interesting read. You need to keep reminding yourself that it was written over 20 years ago, because otherwise many of the "predictions" can be read as commentary on current events (they're really accurate, is what I'm saying). The last chapter, while a significant break in the feel of the book, raises interesting ideas.
Rocketkoala
Jan 21, 2009 Rocketkoala rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I like Dilbert, and this was a fine, though uninspired, collection, until the last chapter. At that point it became interesting. The science is nothing groundbreaking, but it's a welcome reminder to look at the world differently.
Mike Ely
Feb 25, 2014 Mike Ely rated it really liked it
This is a really funny book. Written before Y2K, it's pretty surprising how many of Adams silly predictions actually came true! I always enjoy Dilbert. While there were a few of the chapters that were pretty slow, overall this was a very good read.
Paul
Jul 17, 2008 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dilbert fans
If you're a fan of Dilbert, you'll like this book. Adams comments on a range of issue and extrapolates how this will translate into future trends. Interestingly enough, he failed to predict the rise of "reality" TV. Generously sprinkled with Dilbert strips throughout.
Steven
Jan 05, 2013 Steven rated it liked it
In the future, people learn to use the 90 percent of the brain that's not currently used and find there's nothing in that part ... except that's an urban myth. People use 100 per cent of their brains currently and do nothing with 90 percent of it.
Goodreads Librari...: Combine editions 2 19 Jun 22, 2012 10:32AM
  • Unnatural Selections
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 4
  • Stories for the Heart: Over 100 Stories to Encourage Your Soul
  • One Last Little Peek, 1980-1995: The Final Strips, the Special Hits, the Inside Tips
  • Dave Barry in Cyberspace
  • Here Comes Garfield
  • Footrot Flats 1 (Footrot Flats, #1)
  • The Fantasy Hall of Fame
  • The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words, Vol. 2
  • The Onion Ad Nauseam: Complete News Archives, Volume 13
  • Sudden Fiction International: 60 Short-Short Stories
  • Doonesbury Dossier: The Reagan Years

Adams was born in Windham, New York in 1957 and received his Bachelor's degree in Economics from Hartwick College in 1979.

He also studied economics and management for his 1986 MBA from the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley.

In recent years, Ada
More about Scott Adams...

Dilbert: Business (5 books)
  • The Dilbert Principle: A Cubicle's-Eye View of Bosses, Meetings, Management Fads & Other Workplace Afflictions
  • Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook
  • The Joy of Work: Dilbert's Guide to Finding Happiness at the Expense of Your Co-Workers
  • Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel

“I'm more of a sprinter than a marathoner when it comes to many aspects of life. For example, when I'm running. Over short distances--up to two yards--I can run faster than cheap panty hose on an itchy porcupine. But over long distances, I'm not so impressive.

I try to compensate for my lack of long-distance endurance by having good form. I'm told that my running style is quite majestic. That's probably because I learned to run by watching nature films in which leopards chased frightened zebras. Now when I run, I open my eyes real wide and let my tongue slap the side of my face. If you saw it, you'd be saying, "That's very majestic." And then you'd run like a frightened zebra. That's why my homeowners association voted to ask me to do my jogging with a pillowcase over my head.”
1 likes