Start by marking “Without Dogma” as Want to Read:
Without Dogma

Without Dogma

In Without dogma Sienkiewicz decided to move away from the historical novel genre that gave him fame and write about contemporary issues, being the problem of late nineteenth-century man, devoid of moral principles and lasting purpose in life, to which he could pursue. He wrote a psychological novel, in which the romantic plot was a pretext for showing the hero's mental st ...more
Published October 18th 2007 by BiblioLife (first published 1891)

To ask other readers questions about Without Dogma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Without Dogma

david
Oct 09, 2016 david rated it it was amazing
No Spoilers.
If you were a person, living in Poland, at the end of the nineteenth century or at the beginning of the twentieth, you may have read this Nobel Prize authors’ works. But most probably, you did not read “Without Dogma.” Since its’ publication over one hundred years ago, there are probably seventy-three of us that have, including myself. And, you too can read it, gratis, from an online company.

At different points in this novel, I monitored my reactions, as well as the story unfolding.
Prachi Pande
Jun 02, 2013 Prachi Pande rated it it was amazing
It's a love story.
It's an unhappy love story.
It's an unhappy love story involving an exasperatingly self-aware protagonist reduced to inaction by the scepticism and scientific rationalism of his era.
What more could I ask for?

When I started reading this book, I hated it. The narrative is in the form of a diary written by the self-aware protagonist, Leon Ploszowski, and by the first few pages I was so irritated with his attitude toward life and love I wanted to rip the book up, but I couldn't beca
Ioana
Sep 02, 2013 Ioana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
numai ce-am închis cartea și pot să spun cu mâna pe inimă că este cel mai emoționant și zguduitor roman pe care l-am citit recent. mi-a atins și ultima fibră omenească, ceva ce sincer, nu credeam că o să mai fie posibil prea curând.
Diana Ivanov
Jan 04, 2015 Diana Ivanov rated it liked it
This is definitely one of the saddest books I have ever read. It teaches us that we must take the right decisions when we are supposed to and not let our pride conquer our lives. In the end, it might be the only thing that last and there will be place only for regrets.
Raluca Marchis
Incredible book, indeed! The way Sienkiewicz could express every single one of his thoughts as if his memory were endless, made me feel so limited. I start forgetting my thoughts while having them...
Doreen Petersen
A unique and very interesting book showing the progression in the lives of the characters. My first exposure to a Polish author and it's got me wanting more. I would recommend it.
Raluca Zamfir
Mar 23, 2015 Raluca Zamfir rated it it was amazing
Such a beautifully written book. Enjoyed every page of it. It's a heartbreaking love story. It's a must read
Alexandru Kis
Apr 21, 2013 Alexandru Kis rated it really liked it
The most frustrating book I've ever read.
Para Dana
Aug 27, 2012 Para Dana rated it really liked it
Good book, insightful psychology of women, nicely written. A bit too dramatic around the edges.
Cristina
Sep 25, 2012 Cristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fără ideal face parte din categoria romanelor social-psihologice în care autorul exprimă idei, concepții și atitudini specifice nivelului de reflecție de la sfârșitul epocii prin intermediul personajului central – Leon Ploszowski – crescut în spiritul nobiliar polonez, format de-a lungul veacurilor prin tradiție și perseverență specifică. Scriitura apare sub forma unui jurnal, ceea ce face ca tot conținutul ei să pară mult mai real. În acesta, Leon decide să-și analizeze propriul comportament ...more
Steve
Mar 06, 2016 Steve added it
Unlike any of Sienkiewicz's other halfdozen or so novels read to date, this isneither a historical fiction nor a story of spearated love; instead, it is a memoir by a far-too-well-to-do Polish aristocrat - Leon Ploszowski - who spends all of his time in Rome, in Berlin, in Warsaw, in Switzerland or at the country estates of his aunt. He is quite intelligent,and quite modern: he looks at art and philosophy from a critical, sceptical, disinterested distance, never really engaging in any firm ...more
Bookblog.ro
Cu toate că literatura contemporană oferă cu mare plăcere o întreagă gamă de opere de factură memorialistică, jurnalele, de ficţiune sau realiste, ale secolelor trecute, îşi păstrează în continuare întâietatea. Atât datorită contextului istoric poate mai interesant în care au fost concepute, cât şi a mentalităţii diferite - acel calm şi atenţia sporită asupra detaliilor şi asupra lucrurilor mărunte, fapt rar văzut într-o societate actuală care suferă de un ritm de viaţă involuntar grăbit.

Romanul
Hyperliteratura
Mar 31, 2014 Hyperliteratura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roman
Fără ideal (Editura Litera) se petrece la sfârșitul secolului XIX, în plin avânt al decadentismului. Henryk Sienkiewicz, scriitorul polonez laureat al premiului Nobel pentru literatură în 1905, pune în discuție, fără s-o cruțe, perioada amintită, roasă de scepticism și incapacitată parcă de o stupoare mentală. Eroul este Leon Ploszowski, un aristocrat tânăr de la care întreaga lume are cele mai mari așteptări pentru că e foarte bine dotat intelectual și provine dintr-o familie așișderea. Și toți ...more
Oana
Oct 16, 2015 Oana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nu pot sa nu spun...dar, daca stiam ca mor toti...nu stiu daca o mai terminam de citit...cu greu am rezistat tentatiei de a merge direct la ultimele pagini sa stiu o treaba :)
Concluzia? Nu stiu...ca poti sa pierzi multe in viata daca stai toata ziua pe ganduri? Ca si asa mori, asa ca mai bine sa mori stiind ca ai incercat macar sa fii fericit?...ce-i drept, femei de onoare nu prea se mai gasesc in zilele noastre, poate de asta nu am rezonat prea tare cu dilema morala a protagonistei. Constiinta
teaboy
Aug 01, 2013 teaboy rated it it was amazing
O foarte interesanta incursiune in lumea interioara a unui barbat inteligent si plin de pasiune, intr-un limbaj care evoca mirosul caisilor in floare. Am citit-o cu sufletul la gura, iar sfarsitul, desi tragic, a respectat simtul realitatii. Viata- asa cum e ea, sublima si parsiva, in acelasi timp.
Beia
Jul 11, 2016 Beia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Am inceput acest roman cu o doza foarte mare de scepticism, desi stiam ca a obtinut Premiul Nobel pentru Literatura. Am fost insa captivata de la prima pagina a acestui roman filozofic... Henryk Sienkiewicz dand dovada de un talent literar innascut. Protagonistul mi s-a parut cel mai pesimist si ´damaged´ personaj din cate am intalnit pana acum. O poveste de dragoste tragica...
Malureanu Madalina
Fara ideal este una dintre cele mai bune carti citite in ultima perioada. Nu aveam asteptari foarte mari, pentru ca nu am citit nimic scris de H.S. Mare prostie! Modul in care descrie gandurile, trairile, vesnica nehotarare a personajului Leon, consecintele (in)actiunilor lui, este tulburator.
Bogdan David
Dec 30, 2013 Bogdan David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Să citești cartea asta și să vezi, oarecum întâmplător, filmul The hunt înaintea unei perioade în care se presupune că-ți pui energia în slujba unui scop: nu cea mai inspirată alegere.Imediat după lectură n-aș putea să spun ce mi-a plăcut atât de mult, poate mai târziu, mult mai târziu.
Iakob
Oct 17, 2012 Iakob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sincer cartea asta mi-a lasat un gust tare amar.
Dupa 500 de pagini de reflectii filozofice, sfarsitul e absolut plictisitor si anost.
Dinakar
Got bored, The plot moves way too slowly. This is the first book that I have abandoned after reaching 20%, the most I have ever read in a book before dropping it.
Florina
Oct 05, 2015 Florina rated it it was amazing
I held my breath while reading it. I went along with the character while his world was revealing before my eyes. The author outcome himself and brought to life a true masterpiece.
mirela Darau
indeed, depressing state of unfruitfulness in one man. highly introspective, may well be descriptive for that generation
Cristian-Alexandru Staicu
Cristian-Alexandru Staicu rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2013
Eimily Mansour
Eimily Mansour rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Dee Qr
Dee Qr rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2014
Virginia Petric
Virginia Petric rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2012
Roxana
Roxana rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2014
Anca Vlad
Anca Vlad rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2014
Valentina
Valentina rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2012
Vahe Meliksetyan
Vahe Meliksetyan rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Prima 1 1 Dec 02, 2016 05:34AM
  • Komediantka
  • The Dark Flower
  • Fighting Angel
  • Emancypantki
  • Jezioro Osobliwości
  • Old Love
  • Un uomo finito (The Failure)
  • Zagubieni w Tokio
  • The King of Pirates
  • Dziewczyna i chłopak czyli heca na 14 fajerek
  • The Morality of Mrs. Dulska: A Play by Gabriela Zapolska
  • Japoński wachlarz
  • La confession d'un enfant du siècle
  • Byron
  • The Artist of the Beautiful
  • The Memoirs of Victor Hugo
  • Un om norocos
  • The White Chief
Henryk Adam Aleksander Pius Sienkiewicz (also known as "Litwos"; May 5, 1846–November 15, 1916) was a Polish journalist and Nobel Prize-winning novelist. He was one of the most popular Polish writers at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, and received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1905 for his "outstanding merits as an epic writer."

Born into an impoverished gentry family in the Podlasie vi
More about Henryk Sienkiewicz...

“Așa-i de când lumea, că cine se introspectează prea mult, acela nu mai e de acord nici cu sine însuși, în cele din urmă, iar cine nu-i de acord cu sine însuși, acela nu-i capabil să ia o hotărâre.” 12 likes
“ In genere, femeia nu-si insala barbatul si nu-l tradeaza, daca el singur nu-i acela care sa-i strice sau sa-i calce inima singur in picioare, daca nu o dezgusta ori n-o respinge prin micimea lui, prin egoismul lui, prin ingustimea vederilor. Deci, trebuie sa iubesti. Ca ea sa nu se simta numai femela ta, ci faptura cea mai scumpa pentru tine, copilul tau, prietenul tau; poart-o la san, ca sa-i fie cald si atunci poti fi sigur de ea, atunci, cu fiecare an care trece, se va lipi tot mai mult de tine, pana cand o sa va lipiti de tot, ca gemenii siamezi. Daca nu-i dai toate astea, o strici, o dezgusti prin nimicnicia ta si se indeparteaza. Te va parasi de indata ce maini mai nobile se vor intinde spre ea, caci trebuie s-o faca, are nevoie de caldura si de consideratie ca de aerul pe care-l respira.” 9 likes