Irish Gold (Nuala Anne McGrail, #1)

Irish Gold (Nuala Anne McGrail #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  819 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Bestselling novelist Andrew M. Greeley outdoes his previous triumphs with Irish Gold, a contemporary, fresh and exciting novel of suspense and love. Nuala Anne McGrail, a student at Dublin's Trinity College, is beautiful the way a Celtic goddess is beautiful - not that Dermot Michael Coyne of Chicago has ever seen one of those in his twenty-five years - unless you count hi...more
Published September 15th 1995 by Forge Books (first published 1994)

Circle of Friends by Maeve BinchyAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtIn the Woods by Tana FrenchDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierTara Road by Maeve Binchy
Best Fiction Set in Ireland
51st out of 272 books — 215 voters
Treasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonGoldfinger by Ian FlemingThe Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienThe Gold Bug by Edgar Allan PoeThe Arabian Nights by Anonymous
All that Glitters...
168th out of 182 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Junkie for the Written Word
Sure, and didn’t I start out not liking this book at all, at all? And didn’t I just say to meself, “If this writer uses ‘scatology’ or ‘shy child’ again I’m going to lose me mind?” And wasn’t it me who thought, “This Dermot Michael and this Nuala Anne, aren’t they just the focking eejits and I might be about bashing his brains in with a poker and stuffing her face with rags to slow the gobshite were they truly alive, alive.” Wasn’t the Irish history lesson in the beginning a bit drier than those...more
Babs
I am reluctantly drawn to this series. This is the first in the series and I’m only getting this first book after reading a few others. As the series goes on, Greeley’s worship of the Irish and the representation of God’s love in a man and woman’s relationship (thinly veiled as the sexual relationship), gets a bit cloying and bit too much at times.

It was these recollections and feelings that made me almost want to skip this book and I wondered why I decided to request it from the library to rea...more
Echo
Oct 03, 2007 Echo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those interested in Irish history, mystery, and a little bit of a love story
Shelves: mystery, irish
I may not put Andrew M. Greeley at the top of my list of favorite authors if I don't have one of his books in my hand, but I always remember why I love his books so much when I'm actually reading one. They're very charming, and they make me want to walk around talking in Irish slang and saying things like, "Go along with ye," and "And aren't you a terrible gobshite altogether?". (I've only read the Nuala Anne books so far.) I had the added bonus of reading this book on a plane back from the west...more
Holyn
This is the first of the Nuala Anne series and Greeley is just getting warmed up. I enjoyed this novel in two layers. I finally was able to read the story of how Nuala and Dermot met and fell in love which was good - like coming full circle in getting to know a friend. The second layer I enjoyed was Greeley (fictionally) solving the murder of Michael Collins. The history included in the book and the way Greeley retold it through the eyes of Dermot's grandparents was really interesting. This was...more
Adrienne
I read quite a few Andrew Greeley books in the 80's and then one day, I was just done with him. To be fair, he wasn't the only prolific author I tired of: James Michener, Irving Stone & then later Steven King also come to mind.

Anyhow, I felt like after a 25 year break, maybe I would enjoy Andrew Greeley again, but it turns out I'm still over him. The main thing I'm over is the obsession with repressed sexuality that only comes with being celibate or a teenager. His books feel like a case of...more
Wendy
I must say that I enjoy the Nula Anne Mysteries. I can also say that I DO always remember why I love this series of his books so much when I'm actually reading one. They're very charming, and they make me want to walk around talking in Irish slang and saying things like, "Go along with ye," and "And aren't you a terrible gobshite altogether?. Though I may not put all of Andrew M. Greeley at the top of my list of favorite authors I love Nula Anne and Dermot.

Nuala Anne, the Irish main character wh...more
Bridgette Redman
The stories of our lives not only make us who we are but they often compel us to do things which will change who we will become.

In Father Andrew Greeley’s Irish Gold, the stories of the past prove to be life changing for the descendants of long-ago heroes. Greeley introduces us to Dermot Coyne and Nuala Anne McGrail. The former is an 25-year-old Irish-American dilettante who is in Ireland looking for inspiration and researching his grandparents’ past. Nuala is a 19-year-old student who mesmeriz...more
Colleen
My new favourite Irish historical fiction author, this time adding romance to the mix. Yes, Irish-American priest and sociologist Father Andrew Greeley is truly a master of the human heart. Much less dry than Edward Rutherford and lots less filler, so not a chore to get through. Also, takes place in this era; dealt mostly with the Troubles. I have learned lots about my Irish history. His writing actually reminds me of Susan Conant's. Intellectual and warm, yet truly a wonderful bit of escapism f...more
Marilyn
Andrew M Greeley is a Roman Catholic priest from a large Irish Catholic family in Chicago. MANY of his books are set in this city. His character Nuala, also Irish Catholic, has the gift or is it curse of sight. She is in several of his books. In general, I enjoy his mysteries, HOWEVER, for obvious reasons the man should NOT attempt to write a sex scene. They are embarrassingly badly written.
Paigersoccerfan
I finished this book last night. I throughly enjoyed it! This book is the first in a series. I read the 4th book first, called Irish Mist, and liked it, so was glad to find out it was a series. I have since bought the first and second books. The books are written in the first person, the narrator being a 25 year old handsome, catholic, Irish-American, who is visiting Ireland, in search of answers to some family secrets. I don't want to say much more about the plot, except that I find the author'...more
Kathryn
Diane
SPECTACULAR!! My Mother 1st bought this book and then gave it to me. My Mother has since passed away and I have read this book well over 5 times and will go to it when I need to feel close to her. I have also traveled to the United Kingdom several times and IRELAND taking this book along with me on my journey. The original book has been read and traveled so many times, that I had to buy a new one and 'retire' the original to a special place in my home. I highly recommend this and all of the Derm...more
Rachel
I've truly liked the books of this series. There are some mystical elements that are a bit strange, but the characters are interesting and have mostly good morals. All in all, these are good mysteries. They are written well also although I was surprised at the level of eroticism considering the series is by a priest.
In each book,the couple solves at least one older often ancient mystery and a current-time mystery that are slightly connected as well as work through a crisis in their relationship...more
Colleen
Finished this a long time ago, can't believe i haven't updated this site in so long. I read this previous to coming to ireland, so it was cool to be here in Ireland and know what the book was talking about, and to know a little of the background regarding Michael Collins and all that. I can now picture the accents better too (I know picture isn't the right word, but i'm blanking). Anyway this book was an okay read for an escape, but it wasn't great.
Katie
I wasn't sure about this book for the first few chapters (it doesn't help that the title and cover art make one expect it to be a cheesy romance), but it grew on me. The author takes unsolved historical mysteries and forms a novel around them, coming up with a theory that is admittedly his own. Great relationship & entertaining dialogue between the two main characters.
Lynn
Feb 24, 2014 Lynn marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Margaret
I thoroughly enjoy this series of books by Father Andrew M. Greeley. He skillfully blends the history of Ireland and Irish-Americans (especially in Chicago) with a modern mystery. Nuala Anne is from the Gaelic speaking West of Ireland and fey. Dermot Coyne is Irish-American and plays the role of Watson to Nuala's Holmes.
Matt Howard
The first of what has turned out to be an extensive series of mystery-thriller novels featuring Nuala Anne McGrail, a young Irish girl, is written by a Catholic priest who has written multiple novels along with serious works on religion. This one is a good read and I look forward to trying some of the others in the series.
Chuck
A yound Irish American goes to Dublin to discover why his maternal grandparents left Ireland during the Troubles of the 1920s. He meets a beautiful young Irish coed and she deals herself a hand. Someone out there doesn't want them nosing into that issue and is willing to go to great lengths to prevent it.
Gloria
A thrilling tale of love and danger, set against the Irish troubles of the past and present from the New York Times bestselling master of suspense. "Irish Gold revolves around a hidden fortune in gold and the real-life, still-unsolved, question of who killed Free Irish leader Michael Collins in 1922."-
Jacki
This book was a bit tough to get through. I probably wouldn't have picked it up if the sequel, Irish Lace, hadn't been given to me. It taught me about Irish history and had a good story. I didn't think the plot had too much going for it, nor did the love story. But I did enjoy it.
Thomas S
Modern Irish-Catholic chic-lit written by a Catholic Priest with a lot of historical flash-backs to the early 20s and the death of Michael Collins. Some cheesy dialogue and the tone seems a little bawdy at times for the author to be a priest but a decent read.
Rebecca Mckenzie
My favourite genre -Irish historical fiction!!! Loved the feel of being in the story as I've been to all the places mentioned and enjoyed learning more about Michael Collins too! Looking forward to reading the next in the series featuring Dermot and Nuala!!
Beth Mcgoldrick
Good book for a light read. The characters and the location is terrific. You feel like you are there, both the "current" and historical parts of the book. It's nice to get additional history lessons wrapped into a fun book to read.
Belinda
I have read some Andrew Greeley mysteries and they were really captivating. This book was really nauseating. I dearly love my friend who leant it to me, but it proves that two best friends can have absolutely opposite tastes in books!
Cheryl
Recently got hooked on the Nuala Anne series. A History lesson, a mystery, a fey Irish delight. Plus it's largely set in my old Chicago area stomping grounds. A bit formulaic, but enought twists to keep you interested.
Ruth
Read to psych myself up for Ireland, not that I need to. I tried reading something more erudite, but this will have to do. Did flip from present to the time of the Troubles (1920's) but is definitely fiction.
Carol
This book inspires me to read more from Andrew M. Greely. Also, it made me want to find out more about the Irish Rebellion and Michael Collins, the IRA and the Irish government in general. Extremely interesting!
Shannon chandler
I really enjoyed the story but it could be overwhelming and boring due to all the political history. It had a past and present story line. I would recommend this book,love that the whole book is set in Irland.
Barbie
I loved this book. He blends history with fiction in a riveting account of Ireland. Part of the allure is the Irish setting, but the style is wonderful and I highly recommend it.
  • 1949: A Novel of the Irish Free State
  • Tuesday the Rabbi Saw Red
  • Once Were Cops
  • Daughter of Fire (Merlin's Legacy, #1)
  • Death of Riley (Molly Murphy Mysteries #2)
  • Savage Embers (Savage, #10)
  • The Alpine Fury (Emma Lord Mystery, #6)
  • Endangered (Summer Westin Mystery, #1)
  • Do Unto Others
  • Mrs. Malory Investigates (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #1)
  • The Blue Rose
  • Death at the Alma Mater (A St. Just Mystery #3)
  • Lords of Passion
  • Seduction Becomes Her (Becomes Her, #2)
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt...more
More about Andrew M. Greeley...
The Cardinal Sins Irish Lace (Nuala Anne McGrail, #2) Irish Mist (Nuala Anne McGrail, #4) Irish Whiskey (Nuala Anne McGrail, #3) The Bishop and the Beggar Girl of St. Germain (Blackie Ryan, #13)