Start by marking “The Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection, Vol. 1

The Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection, Vol. 1 (Super-Heróis DC Comics #10)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  1,922 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Comics were changing and writer Dennis O'Neil and artist Neal Adams were among the vanguard bringing about revolutionary innovations in storytelling. Separately and together, they were remaking DC's super-heroes into three-dimensional characters and evolving the stories to match. When paired together to rescue Green lantern from cancellation, they were the right people, on ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by DC Comics (first published March 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection, Vol. 1

Jennifer Hooker
Aug 26, 2012 Jennifer Hooker rated it really liked it
When I saw this at my local comic shop, I battled with myself over whether or not to buy it. $30 was a lot for a comic I didn't know I'd like. Alas, my love of Green Arrow won me over and I bought it. I must say, I'm glad I did.

I'm not one for the old school comics since the writing seems so hoakey to me but wow, was I wrong (sort of). The writing is still pretty, uh, 70's, but if you overlook the excessive exclamation points and thought bubbles, the issues these two "emerald warriors" tackle a
Julia
Apr 09, 2016 Julia rated it liked it
Shelves: dc-comics, 2016

This was good fun. I recently read Flash & Green Lantern: The Brave and the Bold and this was not as fun as that one. They're both light-hearted and have some quippy one-liners, but this one deals with some heavier issues. Green Lantern in particular has to deal with the realization that the world is not as black and white as he once thought. He questions authority more throughout these issues and eventually realizes that the Guardians and the government are not always right.

Green A
Kathryn
Jul 08, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it
GA's bow folds in half! If it did that in the Silver Age comics I never noticed, but in GL#76 he's seen from the front in the new costume and the top of his quiver is visible; suddenly he turns and has his bow out with lines indicating it's unfolding as it comes from either inside the quiver or attached to the back of out and SNAP! Cooool!

GA is acting kind of like a jerk in the first two issues. Truncated this part to kill spoilers, but just a little bit preachy and exaggerated.

Still kind of a j
Ted Child
Apr 03, 2010 Ted Child rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Ever read a comic book clearly written by a hippie (in the nicest sense of the word)? More than a decade before Alan Moore did it with Watchmen, O’Neil began to dig away at the ideological ground of superheroes. In his introduction, written in ‘83, O’Neil writes, “Green Lantern was, in effect, a cop. An incorruptible cop, to be sure, with noble intentions but still a cop, a crypto-fascist: he took orders, he committed violence at the behest of commanders whose authority he did not question.” I ...more
Brian
Jun 01, 2012 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This is one of the series that got my brothers and I into comics for real. It was the first series we "discovered" on our own rather than by reference from others. It was a breath of fresh air in a time when the success of The Dark Knight Returns had the comics industry tripping over itself to be dark, gritty, and suffocating.

It's political, what with Arrow proposing to teach Lantern about the complexities of justice by taking him on a cross country trip to find the soul of America and Ollie's "
Ross
Oct 28, 2010 Ross rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Really some of the greatest comics ever written. Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams were masters. I would still say that the stuff Neil Adams drew forty years ago blows away almost anything drawn today. Very clear social commentary and reflection at work here.
Kal
Nov 14, 2016 Kal rated it it was amazing
this was an amazing read with the 2 iconic heroes- green lantern and green arrow- teaming up to face an evil too powerfull for just one of them. it expresses the two heroes relationships and their conflicts greatly.
Asher Turnaround
Jun 30, 2013 Asher Turnaround rated it liked it
I’m going to soapbox a bit, and some of you may not like it. But this is a review about a comic that soap boxes a bit, which puts me in pretty good company.

The curse of a 24hr news cycle is the way it perverts your sensibilities. If you’re not careful, you stop relating to the world on a personal level. Once that shift happens, once your feet leave the ground, the world becomes a place of war and strife on a scale you can’t really fathom.

Hard Traveling Heroes seems strangely topical, especiall
Raj
May 11, 2016 Raj rated it liked it
This book feels very much of its time, in the language, the thought bubbles and some of the themes covered. While it might be easy to mock its pairing of heroes who, on the surface, have nothing in common except that they have 'green' in their name, the introduction goes out of its way to explain this pairing, and having read the book, it does more or less work. Green Lantern is the ultimate policeman, always following orders and having a very black and white interpretation of justice. Green Arr ...more
Michael
Nov 23, 2012 Michael rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics

I’ve come late to the whole taking-comics-seriously-as-art party, but I’d just like to burst the bubbles of an old lion and a sacred cow and say, for the record, the following. Frank Miller’s 2002 Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again, the follow-up to his 1986 masterpiece of Cold War paranoia and moral panic, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, is a jumble of comic book clichés and poor, distracting storytelling techniques – not to mention amorphous and bori
Jake
Nov 01, 2015 Jake rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
(3.5) I'm not much of a fan of comic books. I get the appeal, I really do. But for me, I've always needed verisimilitude in my entertainment and overly muscular dudes flying around to save busty maidens and ungrateful cities from maniacal costumed villains who want to destroy things just for the sake of destruction has never appealed to me. Batman has been the only comic character that I've ever enjoyed because he is human.

However, in a fit of boredom, I started watching CW's Arrow. And I saw t
Max Burka
Sep 13, 2016 Max Burka rated it really liked it
This book was very good.
Victor Orozco
Oct 13, 2015 Victor Orozco rated it liked it
Not bad. But a bit over-rated.

Some pretty interesting dilemma faced the characters of Green Lantern and Green Arrow. Basically their sales were low and the artists were given a free reign in how they wanted to tell the stories of two vastly underrated comic book characters.

I have to admit, I've become a big fan of the Green Lantern ever since Geoff Johns turn in the 2000s, Green Arrow is not that much of a favorite but he has some great moments. But make no mistake I believe its because of Batma
Seth
Mar 09, 2015 Seth rated it liked it
I'm not a particularly huge Green Lantern fan, but I love the Green Arrow and since I am still pretty new to reading DC titles I decided that I should probably read this title. Reading GL and GA did three things for me; 1. It's solidified my love for the Emerald Archer and Black Canery, 2. It's given me a much greater respect for the Green Lantern and Hal Jordan, and 3. Made me realize that the big wigs at DC should re-introduce this title under Lemire, Snyder, or even Johns to give new comic re ...more
jeremiah
Jul 28, 2010 jeremiah rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
Interesting read that pre-dates Watchmen in it's effort to grapple what it means for superheros to "fight evil". While the overall story is interesting, there were just too many instances of extreme cheese and over-simplification. I couldn't finish it.

Green Arrow is somewhat of an anarchist trying to make Green Lantern "wake-up" to society's ills from his current by-the-letter-of-the-law world view. Not sure if this awakening is what caused the events that predated Green Lantern: Rebirth.
Lauren
Apr 02, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it
Loving this collection and excited to read more. I think the juxtaposition of GL and GA is perfect! GL is finally starting to realize that might (or political power) is not always in the right, and that justice is not always of a piece with the law. I love his struggle to define what is 'evil'. GA is a powerful, compassionate man, but he is unaware of the problems in his impetuosity that propels him into action. GL's hesitation to define the evil in each of the situations they are confronted wit ...more
Oliver Hodson
Apr 04, 2015 Oliver Hodson rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this, and thought that the art stood up very well, probably even better than adams' batman work. I thought the stories were a bit uneven, especially the fantasy based ones, but I liked the social issue stories, even if they were a bit heavy handed (the lackey who just couldn't resist calling the boss fuhrer, amongst others). Having extensively read john's green lantern i was trying to remember what he did with maltus in the here and now (a bit different than the treatment here for sure ...more
Magila
Jul 31, 2013 Magila rated it liked it
3.5

A few of the stories were only ok, but many of them were quite interesting. Reading the author's forward helped to understand his focus on creating more dynamic characters and complex content. It seem these days every author feels the same way, but considering this comic was born in the 60/70's I think it carries a bit more weight. Questions of morality rang all the louder in the Vietnam/Civil Rights era.

Not groundbreaking to me, but solidly very good. Well illustrated stories that beg at le
Dan
Sep 18, 2008 Dan rated it it was ok
Just picked this up on a whim while I was exploring the public library near me. I can see why this was considered revolutionary at the time, but it just doesn't hold up today. First, I know having political elements is what made the series so ground-breaking, but the 60s-vintage preachiness reads extremely heavy-handed today. Second, like most comics of the era, the characters feel very flat and the dialogue feels stilted and unnatural (yes, non-comics readers, comics today, or at least the good ...more
Tanya
Jul 09, 2014 Tanya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty neat. It has three Green Lantern comics in it and an introduction by Samuel R. Delaney. They all have Green Arrow in them. I liked the third comic, "Journey To Desolation", the most. Hal was able to rely on himself and his inner strength rather than the ring. Green Arrow is an ok character, but I'd never read anything with him in it before.

I'd recommend this book to fans of Green Lantern, Green Arrow and comics in general.
Nathaniel
May 21, 2013 Nathaniel rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Green Arrow and Green Lantern and a macro-cephalic space alien try to reenact On the Road. They want to learn about what ails "America today", the answer to which question seems to be racist cult leaders with hypnotic powers and megalomaniac Nazi mine bosses. Inadvertent hilarity ensues.

Can you dig it, chum?
Ritinha
Sep 29, 2013 Ritinha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apesar de todo o ridículo que uma análise fria destes heróis poderá demonstrar, o trabalho da dupla O'Neill/Adams salva o dia.
As temáticas da toxicodepência, da manipulação do sistema pelos mais poderosos contra os mais fracos e por aí adiante, são de gente dotada de escroto sobredimensionado. Sobretudo pela coragem de as abordar sem preocupações, junto de um público ainda muito jovenzinho.
Todd
This is a precursor to Dennis O'Neil run on one of my favorite comics, The Question. This is undeniably a superhero story but it features some great social commentary. Green Arrow is this character now. There is little reason to think that Green Arrow would still be around if he hadn't become the leftist mouth piece that he is here. I don't even find Green Lantern incredibly boring here.
Candace Perry
May 17, 2015 Candace Perry rated it really liked it
Oh Green Lantern/Green Arrow, how should I rate you? Your message come off heavy-handed to my 2015 eyes, but I can't deny the importance of the social justice-y message to your 1970 audience. I'm going with 4 stars because I enjoyed their adventures overall, especially how much Black Canary was in it. But this book could certainly be a topic of discussion on how comics reflect their time.
Disreali
Feb 16, 2016 Disreali rated it really liked it
Fights and Tights done quite well! GL and GA argue like an old married couple, get into scrapes, and have overwrought reactions to SOCIAL ISSUES. (My ward is a junkie!!!!) Admittedly one of the first comics to even try that kinda thing, so not bad, but very Silver Age.
Joe S
Apr 02, 2012 Joe S rated it it was amazing
Read this as a teen, and was hooked. The books seemed real, and was set in the real world, with real social issues being debated. Not just a "comic" book; it made me realize how even fictional characters can inspire.
Tara
Jul 04, 2008 Tara rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: old school comic book lovers
The legendary "you've helped the green man and the orange man, but what have you ever done for the black man" issue is the first in this bound volume of two of my favorite not yet mainstream comic book heroes.
Sam Sleurs Reviews
Sep 29, 2016 Sam Sleurs Reviews rated it it was amazing
I really liked the book. This Comic book featured lots of characters from the DC Comics universe. It's characters and a good story. All characters were well rounded. I would recommend to any DC Comic fan.
Justin
Apr 18, 2015 Justin rated it liked it
Two of my favorite super heroes in one comic made for an enjoyable read. The character development was thin but not cheesy. Or at least cheesy enough to make it enjoyable. Black Canary stole the show though. I wish she would be featured in more comics.
Craig
Nov 12, 2012 Craig rated it liked it
Similar dynamic as a Superman/Batman story with Green Lantern being the boy scout and Green Arrow being about action and getting results. Heavy-handed in social justice arcs it felt dated but still good.
  • Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters
  • Green Arrow, Volume 6: Moving Targets
  • Justice League International, Vol. 1
  • New Gods
  • Absolute DC: The New Frontier
Dennis O'Neil is a comic book writer and editor best known for his work on Batman, Green Arrow/Green Lantern, and The Question.

He also wrote a novel with Jim Berry under the pen name "Jim Dennis".
More about Dennis O'Neil...

Super-Heróis DC Comics (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Liga da Justiça: Terra Dois (Super-Heróis DC Comics, #1)
  • Batman: Herança Maldita  (Super-Heróis DC Comics, #2)
  • Superman: For Tomorrow, Vol. 1
  • Superman: For Tomorrow, Vol. 2
  • Joker: O Último a Rir (Super-Heróis DC Comics, #5)
  • Mulher-Maravilha: Quem é a Mulher-Maravilha? (Super-Heróis DC Comics, #6)
  • Universo DC: Crise nas Terras Infinitas 1 (Super-Heróis DC Comics, #7)
  • Universo DC: Crise nas Terras Infinitas 2 (Super-Heróis DC Comics, #8)
  • Batman: Tales of the Demon