Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories

Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories (Poirot: Omnibus Collection)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  1,488 ratings  ·  47 reviews
All 51 Hercule Poirot short stories presented in chronological order in a single volume - plus a bonus story not seen for more than 70 years. 'My name is Hercule Poirot and I am probably the greatest detective in the world.' The dapper, moustache-twirling little Belgian with the egg-shaped head, curious mannerisms and inordinate respect for his own 'little grey cells' has...more
Paperback, Second, 864 pages
Published 2008 by Harper Collins (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Hercule Poirot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hercule Poirot

Nine Stories by J.D. SalingerThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeA Good Man is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'ConnorDubliners by James JoyceThe Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
Collections of Short Stories
134th out of 1,610 books — 1,278 voters
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan PoeThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeLife is a Circus Run by a Platypus by Allison HawnThe Martian Chronicles by Ray BradburyThe Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
Best Short Stories
112th out of 690 books — 601 voters

More lists with this book...

Muhammad Shakhawat Hossain
I have always been a fan of detective stories and like thousands of other people, my childhood hero was Sherlock Holmes (I think deep down, he still is my hero!). This Hercule Poirot collection was the first time I tried Poirot and I LIKED him! Hercule Poirot is an eccentric old man with such a passion towards order and rational thoughts and he has such a nice sense of humour! This fat book has 51 stories and it took me quite a long time to finish it. I would say about 26-27 stories were really...more
Dhiraj Sharma
Along with the novels of Hercule Poirot, Agatha Christie also wrote several short stories of HP which appear as complilations in several books.

This compendium makes your search for short stories much easier.

I bought this book from a book store in Park Street when I was on tour to Kolkara..Oxford it was if I remember correctly.

Read these stories in case you don't have much time to spare each day to read a full length novel, read these even if you have ample time at your hands.

Let me assure you th...more
Lynn Farris
When asked on a panel to name the one mystery book prior to 1995 that inspired me to become a lifelong reader, I selected, “Murder on the Orient Express” by Agatha Christie. This features the Belgian detective Hercule Poirot. So you can imagine my delight at finding a book of short stories and novellas, written by Agatha Christie featuring Poirot, one of her most popular sleuths.

Agatha Christie is the most widely published author of all time and in any language outsold only by the Bible and Shak...more
Shirley
I have always been a fan of Sherlock Holmes and my interest in Hercules Poirot cases had been limited to the few television serials that i had seen as a child. After reading this book i must say that I am totally awed. I do confess that both the detectives have a different style of working and yes this book may not provide you an exhaustive or detailed account into Poirot's adventures , but it gives you a glimpse into the world of his 'Grey cells' so to speak. Thoroughly enjoyable and engaging....more
Matthew Underwood
Not finished reading yet, but awesome so far. I recognise some of the stories by having seen them on tv. The shortness of the stories does not mean there is any lack of detail. Each story is compelling and clever. Agatha Christie paints the picture in your mind, so when you need to visualise what Poirot sees, to get the essence of how he cracks the case, you can imagine exactly what he sees due to Christie's excellent description and story telling.

Brilliant
Vineet
I enjoy Agatha Christie's writing a lot, but I feel that her full-length novels are much better than her short stories. This book is about as good as mystery short stories get, but the problem is that mysteries are not meant to be written as short stories. Mysteries require the whole novel to develop a plot and mental suspense before revealing all in the end. That being said, This book is a fantastic way to start reading some of Agatha Christie's works.

The main characters, Belgian private invest...more
Evelise
Veramente bellissimo, le diverse 51 storielle rendono il libro molto veloce da leggere perché sono tutte varie e cortissime ne leggi dieci e non te ne accorgi nemmeno! Geniale poi i 12 racconti ispirati alle fatiche di ercole un libro che ricomincerei a leggere da capo molto volentieri. Agatha Christie non delude mai.
Ryan
Good little puzzles that I basically know the answer to but enjoy discovering them every time. The non-Hastings ones are best, of course. I'd forgotten Miss Lemon - funny little character (and maybe she appears again working for Parker Pyne??). Fantastic way to avoid most of the things one is supposed to get done on a Saturday.
玲華 西山
i`ve yet to complete the entire collection but from what I`ve read so far. All her cases are absolutely great. Each are different stories so they`re an easy read. Despite them being short stories, the cases are interesting and a good brief read. I think it`s good for someone who wants to have a quick short read.
Julie
Great collection of Poirot short stories. Some I hadn't read previously. One was later turned in to a full length novel, but it was interesting to see it in its earlier form. The Labors of Hercules take up a big section of the book, but it is also available as a book on its own.
Eliana
Apr 04, 2014 Eliana added it
My all time favorite mystery writer. Plots so clever, you can re-read novels and still not remember who ended up being the culprit. I've tried to read them all.
Zakariah Johnson
Poirot is a great character, and he gets inside your head in a way few others can. The cadence of his French-colored speech is part of this, but in Christie's writing you absorb so much more--his poise, his mannerisms, his deductive processes, his charm-tempered arrogance, and his mastery of sweating suspects through performance art. Despite whatever he owes to Mr. Holmes, Poirot remains assertively original. This collection lets the reader follow the development of the great Belgian detective o...more
George
I've always loved David Suchet as Poirot and I thoroughly enjoyed reading all of these stories.
Shireen
A lot of these I'd read before because they are published in other books of hers. For that reason, if you haven't read Christie's short stories featuring Poirot, then this is a good book or ebook to read. But if you have, you'll be flipping through the book a lot...unless you've read her shorts once a long time ago or like to reread familiar stories over and over.

The one interesting addition to familiar material is seeing where they were originally published. And there were a few stories I hadn'...more
Alberto
A good read, although the short stories are never as good as the novels. There's never enough information. The Wasps Nest was particularly egregious for leaving you in the dark. A couple of the stories research plot devices, but Monsieur Poirot is always entertaining.
Joyce Lee
Agatha Christie is one of those writers I've always been told to read so I thought I'd give her a try. I can't say I enjoyed this book much. Maybe I should read more than just one story before judging it, but Hercule Poirot was just a sub-par Sherlock Holmes for me; a simplified Holmes if u will. Holmes' adventures are quite hard to follow given the language and style they are written in.

Well, Agatha Christie is not for me. It will be many years before I try another of her books.
Simon
I find the short stories more easily digestible. Christie developed great plots.
Sarah Cruickshank
Really enjoyed this collection of Poirot stories
A few months ago, I was so happy to find out that finally a complete collection of Agatha Christie's short stories was about to come out. This collection consists of 52 stories featuring my favourite detective of all time, Hercule Poirot. The cover reads 'masterpieces in miniature' - I could not describe my opinion any better. Great read.
Ruth
Like other readers, I bought this book to dip in and out of whilst on holiday, but ending up reading it from front to back! An excellent collection of short stories from the queen of crime herself, Agatha Christie. Some of the stories are a little cliched to modern tastes perhaps, but they are still very entertaining.
Emily Davies
Another wonderful set of short stories from Agatha Christie. Unlike the Miss Marple collection, all of these stories feature Poirot and they are all completely excellent. I adore Poirot's neat and orderly mind!
Sherry
One of the best books in the world!! I love Hercule Poirot so much that I was very sad when I finished reading the book. Hastings is my favorite character, and my favorite stories in the collection are mostly the ones narrated by Hastings. This is such an awesome book. I doubt there's anyone who wouldn't enjoy it!
Marisa
I love Agatha Christie and was especially pleased withe the complete short stores of Hercule Poirot. I love the fact that I can pick the book up when I am tired and read a short story rather than have to follow on of her longer novels. Especially as I am often reading 3 or 4 books simultaneously.
Jan
An enjoyable though longish read. Of course I had the film versions with David Suchet in mind often. I found it interesting how the Poirot character became "full fledged" from being a simple and somewhat naive knock off of Sherlock Holmes in the beginning.
Verity Elizabeth
Really enjoyed this book and recommend it to any Agatha Christie fan, but the reason why it got 4 stars and not 5 was because the full length stories by Agatha Christie always receive 5 stars from me and the short story collection was not quite as good!
Ramagokula
Well the book is an endless ccollection of Poirot mysteries. It isn't like a typical book. One can read it from time to time but can't read it continuously without losing interest. HoHoweverthe book is a very good investment for fans of Poirot.
Tanya
May 16, 2012 Tanya marked it as partially-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-to-read
I will be chipping away at this in small doses as I come to Agatha's short story collections whilst reading through her works chronologically.

Short Story Collections Read:

- Poirot Investigates. 11 Stories. Read 06/05/12-16/05/12
Madeleine
Rediscovered the delights of these stories whilst between books. Great to dip in and out of. Christie's storytelling is brilliant. Makes me realise how faithful the ITV Poirot series writers have been to the originals.
Isuru
Filled with bits and bobs of detective flair, The complete Poirot is a tasty compilation and a showcase of Christie's genius. While it's contents may rise and fall in freshness and wit, it is a worthy anthology to dip into.
Marte Patel
Oct 23, 2007 Marte Patel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Agatha Christie fans
A great compilation of more than 50 Poirot short stories. Very easy to read, but the stories are still very different. Great for fans of Agatha Christie! I'd recommend the book if you like old-fashioned detective stories.
  • Agatha Christie
  • Agatha Christie
  • Giant's Bread
  • They Found Him Dead (Inspector Hannasyde, #3)
  • The Chinese Shawl (Miss Silver, #5)
  • Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks
  • Look to the Lady (Albert Campion Mystery #3)
  • Hangman's Holiday: A Collection of Short Mysteries (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #9)
  • Spirits of the Dead: Tales and Other Poems
  • Photo Finish (Roderick Alleyn, #31)
  • The Floating Admiral
  • Jo Nesbø Collection 3 Books Set: The Redbreast, Nemesis, The Devil's Star
  • Who Killed Roger Ackroyd?: The Mystery Behind the Agatha Christie Mystery
  • Past Imperfect
  • Duchess of Death: The Unauthorized Biography of Agatha Christie
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • SPQR IX: The Princess and the Pirates (SPQR, #9)
  • Voice of the Lost (Medair, #2)

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880...more
More about Agatha Christie...
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)

“David Suchet portrayed Poirot to perfection in the PBS series, and even Christie’s grandson, Mathew Pritchard, wished that she had lived to see his portrayal.” 0 likes