Start by marking “Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories

Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories (Poirot: Omnibus Collection)

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  3,001 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
All 51 Hercule Poirot short stories presented in chronological order in a single volume - plus a bonus story not seen for more than 70 years. 'My name is Hercule Poirot and I am probably the greatest detective in the world.' The dapper, moustache-twirling little Belgian with the egg-shaped head, curious mannerisms and inordinate respect for his own 'little grey cells' has ...more
Paperback, Second, 864 pages
Published 2008 by Harper Collins (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Hercule Poirot, please sign up.

Maggie 1. The Affair at the Victory Ball
2. The Jewel Robbery at the Grand Metropolitan
3. The King of Clubs
4. The Disappearance of Mr. Davenheim
5. The Plymouth Express
6. The Adventure of "The Western Star"
7. The Tragedy at Marsdon Manor
28. Wasps' Nest
29. The Third Floor Flat
30. The Mystery of the Baghdad Chest
31. Dead Man's Mirror
32. How Does Your Garden Grow?
33. Problem at Sea
47. The Girdle of Hyppolita
48. The Flock of Geryon
49. The Apples of the Hesperides
50. The Capture of Cerberus
51. Four and Twenty Blackbirds(less)

Fiona
May 22, 2012 Fiona rated it it was amazing
I won a school prize once in my life: aged eleven, the primary school English prize. I was given my £10 book token, and instead of buying the dictionary I was supposed to get, I chose the complete Hercule Poirot short stories. I was aided and abetted by my mother, who approves of buying 800-page tomes as a treat, and I'm pretty sure my form tutor was likewise pleased--we're talking about the man who had spent the last year introducing me to the concept of Sherlock Holmes.

I read it over the summe
Leslie
Feb 19, 2015 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A treat for Christie fans! For those who don't care for her writing, the foibles of Hercule Poirot may grate on the nerves as they are more pronounced in these short stories than they were in her full-length novels.

Despite the fact that I hadn't read many of the stories before, I was familiar with them from my repeated viewing of David Suchet in "Poirot" on PBS. In fact, so familiar was I with the TV adaptations that I noticed all the variations from their plots when reading these originals!
Dhiraj Sharma
Mar 16, 2013 Dhiraj Sharma rated it it was amazing
Along with the novels of Hercule Poirot, Agatha Christie also wrote several short stories of HP which appear as complilations in several books.

This compendium makes your search for short stories much easier.

I bought this book from a book store in Park Street when I was on tour to Kolkara..Oxford it was if I remember correctly.

Read these stories in case you don't have much time to spare each day to read a full length novel, read these even if you have ample time at your hands.

Let me assure you th
Brian Poole
Dec 29, 2014 Brian Poole rated it really liked it
Hercule Poirot is justifiably Agatha Christie’s most famous creation.

Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories is a comprehensive chronicle of the detective’s life in short fiction. While the numerous Poirot novels are among Christie’s best and popular works, the character excelled in the short format, offering a distillation of what makes him great in concise bites.

Published from the 1920s through the 1940s, the tales in The Complete Short Stories present a full portrait of the Belgian police
Antonio Rosato
Feb 14, 2015 Antonio Rosato rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Non avendo mai letto niente su Hercule Poirot ho preferito comprare questo libro che contiene tutte le opere di Agatha Christie dedicate al celebre investigatore belga. Ebbene, devo dire che all'inizio sono stato quasi rapito e coinvolto dalle varie indagini e peripezie dei due protagonisti (Poirot ed il suo fido amico Hastings); in seguito, però, i racconti mi son sembrati un po' tutti uguali (cambiava la location ed i personaggi ma la trama era sempre la stessa). Penso, comunque, che possa anc ...more
Mo
I don't generally like reading short stories. I don't feel that there is adequate time for the characters to be properly developed. That is not a problem in a book such as this, because we already know all about Hercule Poirot. Each story felt like another chapter in his life, and I was able to enjoy them quite easily.

I've been reading this collection off and on for the past year or so, whenever I had just a little snippet of time. I was amazed when I discovered I had read the final page. It fel
Muhammad Shakhawat Hossain
Jan 17, 2013 Muhammad Shakhawat Hossain rated it really liked it
Shelves: english
I have always been a fan of detective stories and like thousands of other people, my childhood hero was Sherlock Holmes (I think deep down, he still is my hero!). This Hercule Poirot collection was the first time I tried Poirot and I LIKED him! Hercule Poirot is an eccentric old man with such a passion towards order and rational thoughts and he has such a nice sense of humour! This fat book has 51 stories and it took me quite a long time to finish it. I would say about 26-27 stories were really ...more
Lynn Farris
Jan 15, 2014 Lynn Farris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
When asked on a panel to name the one mystery book prior to 1995 that inspired me to become a lifelong reader, I selected, “Murder on the Orient Express” by Agatha Christie. This features the Belgian detective Hercule Poirot. So you can imagine my delight at finding a book of short stories and novellas, written by Agatha Christie featuring Poirot, one of her most popular sleuths.

Agatha Christie is the most widely published author of all time and in any language outsold only by the Bible and Shak
Shirley
Apr 23, 2012 Shirley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have always been a fan of Sherlock Holmes and my interest in Hercules Poirot cases had been limited to the few television serials that i had seen as a child. After reading this book i must say that I am totally awed. I do confess that both the detectives have a different style of working and yes this book may not provide you an exhaustive or detailed account into Poirot's adventures , but it gives you a glimpse into the world of his 'Grey cells' so to speak. Thoroughly enjoyable and engaging. ...more
Juuli
It took me some time but I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Hercule Poirot is my favourite detective of all times. It was fun to compare the stories with the TV show's episodes. I had no idea that they put some stories together for the show. Also, there was one story "The Capture of Cerberus" I couldn't place, I just don't remember a similar plot from the television show.
The story I enjoyed the most was "The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding". It took place at Christmas, had a fantastic o
Maura
fun to revisit Hercule Poirot 20-some years after last reading him. Tho the dismissive attitude towards women got a little old (and thus I don't feel bad about not actually reading the whole thing). That said, I might very well come back after a while and read some more in a few months.
Roger Brunyate
A Collection of Canapés

It is ridiculous, of course, to read 51 mystery stories back to back with one another, yet I don't want to keep this useful collection on my "currently reading" shelf for ever. Hence the baptism of my new "hiatus" shelf. I imagine it will come in handy for some other story collections, as well as non-fiction books to which I expect to return. In this case, I have read the first five plus five more selected at random.

This splendidly-priced collection contains stories first
Miklos
Aug 10, 2014 Miklos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to preface this by saying I love Hercule Poirot. If I could have dinner with any fictional character, it'd be him (particularly if he's "played" by David Suchet). I love Poirot because he's not concerned about how "deep the parley has sunk into the butter" or is interested in looking at cigarette ash. He's interested in the psychology of all those involved. This is why some of my favorite Agatha Christie stories (e.g. The Clocks, Mysterious Affair at Styles Court, Sad Cypruss, etc.) ...more
Raksha Bhat
May 08, 2016 Raksha Bhat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For long I had this sense of trepidation that this book will join my list of personal incompletes, eight hundred odd pages and I had crossed my average reading time for a book, more than a month! I am glad that I completed this Agatha Christie work today and enjoyed it as well. These are the kind of stories which provide us with a strong dose of classic literature, particularly Belgian in this case for Hercules Poirot is the man! While reading this genre the usual contender for comparison would ...more
Matthew Underwood
Jan 28, 2012 Matthew Underwood rated it it was amazing
Not finished reading yet, but awesome so far. I recognise some of the stories by having seen them on tv. The shortness of the stories does not mean there is any lack of detail. Each story is compelling and clever. Agatha Christie paints the picture in your mind, so when you need to visualise what Poirot sees, to get the essence of how he cracks the case, you can imagine exactly what he sees due to Christie's excellent description and story telling.

Brilliant
Susan Siow
Jan 24, 2015 Susan Siow rated it it was amazing
Agatha Christie's plots are just so ingenious! It took me a while to read all 867 pages of this compilation of 51 short stories, but I enjoyed every bit of it. I'm actually re-reading this, but the first time I read this was so long ago that I no longer remembered who the culprits were, so every denouement was still as thrilling as ever.
Connie
Nov 07, 2016 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The U.S. presidential election of 2016 has been vile and vicious. This book has been my retreat. Crawling into a Hercule Poirot short story is as comfortable as a cup of hot tea with lemon and honey and a comfortable chair on a rainy autumn afternoon. I'll vote happily tomorrow morning. Thanks again, Dame Agatha!
Pramod Nair
Mar 13, 2015 Pramod Nair rated it it was amazing
A spectacular gift for all Hercule Poirot Fans! This volume contains all the masterpiece short tales of crime and detection featuring the charismatic detective Hercule Poirot created by Agatha Christie. It has a total of 51 short stories which are full of mystery, thrill and mind-boggling plot twists.
Sandeep
Feb 14, 2016 Sandeep rated it it was amazing
Beautiful collection of short stories,
took time reading them, did not enjoy 2-3 of them.
But then as a book, awesome!
thinking of buying a hard copy.
Worth having one of these at home.

Cheers,
Shabba
Mar 13, 2015 Shabba rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I have a weakness for Holmes and Poirot. And I adore Christie.

What can I say? I don't think it's possible to review all fifty stories. But it's Poirot, and you won't be bored, to say the least.

Also, I adored how she concluded the last story.

This is one of the few books I'd re-read.
Pranay Venkatesh
May 13, 2017 Pranay Venkatesh rated it it was amazing
For all those who haven't had a Poirot taste
Just read one of these shorts and you'll be buying all the novels left, right and centre

In truth, I believe that when it comes to short stories vs. novels, it's the opposite between Sherlock Holmes and Poirot. I like the Holmes short stories more than the novels and the Poirot novels more than the shorts. Primarily because, the Poirot novels are already pretty easy to read. I can digest a Poirot novel in a couple of hours, no sweat. And a short story i
Karen
Mar 24, 2017 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Belgian detective Hercule Poirot would not be my favorite person to encounter in real life, due to his fastidiousness and ego, he's a delight on the page as he uses his "little grey cells" to catch murderers, thieves, and drug dealers. Some of the story set-ups and clues are dated (in one case, the fact that the curtains are not drawn after a certain time of day is an essential clue!) but not only are the stories suspenseful but many of the characters and situations charming. I'm sorry I'v ...more
Sandip K B
Mar 14, 2017 Sandip K B rated it really liked it
Vintage Hercule in a capsule.While it is challenging to maintain the interest with a massive book like this,conneiseurs will lap it up.All the stories are worth its salt and it is readers delight to have so much concoction of Hercule Poirot.There are short stories you can breeze through and some which has to be given it's due in being a long story short.4 from my side.
Mark
Yay, finally finished this massive collection of short stories featuring Hercule Poirot. I originally started this one last December as a book to dip into and out of, but then broke off early in 2016 after having got only as far as around 25%. Having picked it up again more recently, I've made a determined effort to finish it off, which I have finally done.

I guess there's an issue with any collection of short stories like this, in that it takes a while to get through - once you've read one (each
Lynn
Jan 10, 2015 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Today's post is on Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories by Agatha Christie. It is 867 pages long and published by William Morrow. The cover is tan with the author's name in dark red and the title in black. The intended reader is someone who likes mysteries, very good writing, and a very particular Belgian detective. There is no sex, no language and only mild violence in this book. The stories are told from many different perspectives from Poirot himself to a victim of blackmail. There Be S
Vineet
Sep 19, 2011 Vineet rated it liked it
I enjoy Agatha Christie's writing a lot, but I feel that her full-length novels are much better than her short stories. This book is about as good as mystery short stories get, but the problem is that mysteries are not meant to be written as short stories. Mysteries require the whole novel to develop a plot and mental suspense before revealing all in the end. That being said, This book is a fantastic way to start reading some of Agatha Christie's works.

The main characters, Belgian private invest
Obsidian
Oct 28, 2014 Obsidian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really love reading Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot novels and short stories. For the first time all of the short stories (including the Labours of Hercules) are included in this short story collection.

This short story collection was definitely worth the price for me, all in all it was 899 pages for $11.99. This included a short foreword by Charles Todd that was only about 2 pages and then we go into each short story. At the beginning of every chapter there is a quick blurb on when the story
Cheryl Militello
Dec 14, 2016 Cheryl Militello rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
If you’re a fan of Agatha Christie’s mystery novels, particularly those with Poirot, I think you will like this collection of short stories. The stories were originally published from 1923 to 1941 in weekly or monthly magazines. I found the best way to enjoy them was spaced out, one at a time. Most of the shorts can easily be read in a single sitting when you have just a little bit of spare time. The mysteries obviously wrap up very quickly compared to Christie’s full-length novels, but somehow ...more
Mimansa Bairathi
The book is an exhaustive collection of short stories featuring Hercule Poirot. No longer does one have to hunt for individual books of the celebrated detective. The book features all the stories in a chronological order of their first appearance.

In addition to enjoying the astute reasoning and profound understanding of the M. Poirot where crime is concerned, this collection will help the reader witness the evolution of Hercule Poirot to the fullest. From his earliest cases with Hastings and th
Sally
Feb 15, 2015 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Summary
This book is a collection of short stories, more than 50 of them, all with one of my favourite characters - Hercule Poirot. These stories have been published previously, including when they were first written by Christie.

The Good
I really enjoyed the plot twists - it is just mind-boggling the way Christie was able to dream up the plots and the ingenious murders. As always, they don't disappoint - she was just so inventive and clever.

Recommended for
Because this book has so many short stori
  • They Found Him Dead (Inspector Hannasyde, #3)
  • Striding Folly (Lord Peter Wimsey, #15)
  • The Chinese Shawl (Miss Silver, #5)
  • Agatha Christie and the Eleven Missing Days
  • Santa Claus and His Elves
  • Agatha Christie
  • The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Photo Finish (Roderick Alleyn, #31)
  • Garrett Investigates (New Amsterdam, #5)
  • Look to the Lady (Albert Campion Mystery #3)
  • The Grass Widow's Tale (Felse, #7)
  • Spirits of the Dead: Tales and Other Poems
  • Naksitrallid. Esimene raamat
  • The Scoop and Behind the Screen
  • Knitting for Baby: 30 Heirloom Projects with Complete How-to-Knit Instructions
  • Fear in the Sunlight (Josephine Tey, #4)
  • Love and Other Stories
  • Capital Crimes: London Mysteries

More about Agatha Christie...

Poirot: Omnibus Collection (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Poirot: The War Years
  • Poirot: The French Collection
  • Poirot: The Post War Years
  • Poirot: The Complete Ariadne Oliver, Vol. 2
  • Poirot: The Complete Battles of Hastings, Vol. 1 (Hercule Poirot & Arthur Hastings Omnibus, #1)
  • Poirot: The Complete Battles of Hastings, Vol. 2 (Hercule Poirot & Arthur Hastings Omnibus, #2)
  • Poirot: The Complete Ariadne Oliver, Vol. 1 (Hercule Poirot & Ariadne Oliver Omnibus, #1)
  • Poirot: Four Classic Cases
  • Poirot: The Perfect Murders
  • Poirot: In the Orient (Murder in Mesopotamia / Death on the Nile / Appointment with Death)

“there is nothing more amazing than the extraordinary sanity of the insane! Unless it is the extraordinary eccentricity of the sane!” 2 likes
“Wherever there is human nature, there is drama.” 1 likes