Start by marking “Scandal in Fair Haven (Henrie O, #2)” as Want to Read:
Scandal in Fair Haven (Henrie O, #2)

Scandal in Fair Haven (Henrie O #2)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  407 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When Hart's latest sleuth, 60-ish widow Henrietta O'Dwyer Collins, a.k.a. Henrie O, made her debut in Dead Man's Island, readers everywhere were delighted. In this mystery, Henrie O returns in a classic, teasing puzzler.
Published August 1st 1994 by Bantam (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Scandal in Fair Haven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scandal in Fair Haven

Linda
Interesting mystery whodunit, do not read much of this genre but this one was good. I liked the main character and the plot was more complex than many of those typical "I write 100 mysteries every year in my series" books. It deals with bullying, social stratification, and greed as well as the mystery. For its' genre I would give it a 4, compared to books in general, a 3.5.
Jamie
Totally dug this book. I'm liking the Henrie O murder mysteries...these books keep you guessing on who the culprit is. Not like some books where it's just totally obvious who did and what is going to happen next. Unlike the Death on Demand mysteries, I enjoy Henrie O's character very much. In Scandal in Fair Haven, Henrie is to vacation with her good friend Margaret at Margaret's cabin, but Margaret has become very sick and is in the hospital. Henrie goes it alone only to find herself caught up...more
Mark Baker
Henrie O is supposed to be on vacation, but when a friend's nephew is accused of killing his wife, Henrie jumps into action to find the real killer. The story bogged down a bit in the middle, leading to a rushed ending, but over all I enjoyed it.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Megan O'Neill
The second of Hart's "Henrie O" series unfortunately suffers a little bit from a sophomore slump. Only when the heroine makes a point of saying that the person responsible for the murder on which the plot hinges absolutely cannot have been the only character whose innocence is bandied back and forth, playing with the reader's instincts does the inkling appear that the murderer is someone else. And that suspicion arises with about twenty pages left, resulting in a rushed conclusion that feels ext...more
Cheryl Landmark
A good read. And, I liked Henrie O a bit better in this one than I did in the first book of the series, "Dead Man's Island". Still, I didn't find her quite as engaging or likeable as the female sleuths in other cozy mystery series, even though she was not as imperious, bossy or conceited in this one.

I did, however, admire her spunk, tenacity and bulldog determination in solving the murder of Patty Kay, a woman she had never met but one she came to respect and like through her investigations. Hen...more
Margaret
Aug 14, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2005
I don't think this is one of Caroline Hart's best books - I liked the other Henrie O. book I read, Dead Man's Island better. In this one, Henrie O. seemed too committed on solving the murder of a woman she didn't know in a town she didn't live in - it was hard to see why this was so important to her. And there were too many suspects - which lead to lengthy analysis by Henrie O. - I really thought the book was draggy in parts and could have been edited a bit better. Oh well, overall I like the D...more
The Good: I have extreme love for Carolyn Hart's writing. No matter the series, she always writes a helluva good cozy mystery. Scandal in Fair Haven is just that, a fantastically plotted mystery that drags you in and keeps you guessing throughout.

The Bad: I have learned that the Henrie O. series isn't destined to be one of my favorites. While I love Hart's writing, I don't exactly like Henrie O. herself. She's a spunky older lady, which is awesome, but she has an overbearing nature that shows wa...more
Carissa
I'd never heard of this author and picked the book up at a library sale. Am I ever glad I did! What a great writer. The story was engaging and kept me guessing to the end, and the protagonist was wonderful. She was not only trying to solve a mystery, but was connecting with other characters in an emotional way that doesn't usually happen in mysteries.

I'm going to be watching out for more books by this author.
Judy
Don't remember reading Hart before, but a very familiar name. So far, it is good. A middle-aged woman becomes involved in a domestic murder case by virtue of her friend. She seems much more capable than the local police inspector and suspect's lawyer. Her friend's nephew is accused of murdering his wealthy, overbearing wife. He is arrested but evidence is very circumstantial.
Julie
I took this book out of the library, excited to have another Henrie O mystery. Then after reading a paragraph, I realized that I've already read it. Drat.

I'm not a real fan of Hart's other series, but I do love this one. Henrie O is a tough, charming woman, both warm-hearted and tough as nails. Highly readable.
Wilma
Another great mystery with Henrie O. I am usually fairly good at figuring out "whodunnit" type books but Carolyn Hart has a wonderful way of twisting what you might think is fact. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Nadine
I liked this one (#2) better than the first one in the series! The heroine is down to earth and methodical, although she did do a least one pretty stupid thing: pretending to be the Aunt of Craig, the accused murderer.
Melissa
This is a fun murder mystery novel. I couldn't decide who the murderer was, and was left surprised near the end. I like this book and look forward to reading more books by Carolyn Hart.
Phil
If you like Murder She Wrote, you'll like this book. A great story about an older female non-detective who solves crimes. Recommended for a fun read.
Robin
Meh. A page turner, for sure, but predictable and I really didn't relate to the main character at all. It was o.k.
Kimberly
I love Carolyn Hart but I prefer her Annie and Max series. Still a good read.
Grace
Weak plot. Ok writing. Will not continue the next book in this series.
Vicky Beltz
Cozy mysteries dealing with reporter Henrie O.
Dale
Pat
May 15, 2011 Pat added it
Henrie O.
Ebook
Ebook marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Just Tolegranny
Just Tolegranny is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Allison Rasa
Allison Rasa marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Mary Patrice
Mary Patrice marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • murder@maggody.com (Arly Hanks, #12)
  • The Trouble with Harriet (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #9)
Also writing as Carolyn G. Hart.

An accomplished master of mystery with 46 published books, Carolyn Hart is the creator of the highly acclaimed Henrie O,Death on Demand, and Bailey Ruth Raeburn series. Her books have won multiple Agatha, Anthony, and Macavity Awards. Letter from Home (2003), her standalone mystery set in Oklahoma, was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize. Her latest book is Dead by Mid...more
More about Carolyn Hart...
Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1) Dare to Die (Death on Demand, #19) Sugarplum Dead (Death on Demand, #12) Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10) Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14)