Start by marking “Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)” as Want to Read:
Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)

Yankee Doodle Dead (Death On Demand #10)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,254 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Master mystery spinner Carolyn Hart gives us the tenth high-spirited entry in her Agatha, Anthony and Macavity Award-winning Death on Demand series.

Published August 1st 1999 by Avon (first published August 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Yankee Doodle Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yankee Doodle Dead

Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Pretty good. Still feeling out this series.
I liked this one, but once again my biggest complaint is with the repitition. This time it is the "Speak Your Mind" phrases. I don't think the book needs these to tie it together, especially since there are enough other recurring themes, such as Laurel's fans with the Shakespeare quotes, and all the references to what other famous book sleuths would say or do in Annie's situation. Someone mentioned that this is the last book in the series to include enless lists of books and their authors. I, fo ...more
Brittany
Jun 25, 2008 Brittany rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nearly no one
Recommended to Brittany by: My Mom (sorta)
How I Came To Read This Book: It was (weirdly) my annual Christmas PJs & a book novel.

The Plot: Annie runs a small murder mystery book shop - but on the side, her and her husband Max are often hired to conduct 'real' investigations, usually to answer a question or find something that's been lost. Annie's investigatory skills are put to the test however, when a newcomer (and much-hated) to the town is murdered on July 4, leaving ten suspects with fairly lame motives. Annie's main motivation f
Patti
Jun 03, 2008 Patti rated it it was amazing
I love these Death on Demand books. They are those easy-to-ready mysteries that you read quickly and just enjoy. Her characters are like people you know. They could be your friends.
This one was enjoyable as usual.
As in all of her books, the author make us suspicious of several characters.
Kate
Feb 22, 2012 Kate rated it liked it
"The most delectable sleuthing couple since Nick met Nora, Annie and Max Darling manage to find quite a bit of murder in their allegedly safe and serene South Carolina island resort town. After all, murder is Annie's business -- well, sort of. She's the proprietor of the popular Death on Demand mystery bookstore and cafe, and her establishment seems to attract trouble like Annie's pesky felines, Dorothy L. and Agatha, attract hairballs. Now, Annie and Max watch their Fourth of July holiday explo ...more
Barbara ★
I like the Darling's and I like the writing style. I just disliked the constant literary references. Yes I get that Annie Darling owns a mystery bookstore but must she use book titles, characters and plot lines in almost every sentence she utters? I liked the mystery and I liked the people of this little South Carolina town. I'm going to read the next book White Elephant Dead because I own it but if it continues in this same irritating vein, it will be the last in this series for me.
Anastasia
Mar 31, 2014 Anastasia rated it liked it
Yankee Doodle Dead by Carolyn Hart is the tenth book in A death on Demand Mystery series and follows the familiar path of the other books. General Hatch has made many enemies in Bowards Rock, so there is no shortage of suspects when he is shot dead at the Fourth of July celebration. Max and Annie Darling are again in the middle of another murder investigation. I love all the references to other mysteries throughout the book. Max and Annie make a great team and I look forward to following their a ...more
George
Aug 02, 2015 George rated it liked it
#10 in the Max and Anne Darling mystery series set on the small island of Broward's Rock off the cost of South Carolina. A retired army general moves to the island and becomes involved in numerous island activities and groups while quickly alienating many people. His murder rallies Max, Annie and friends around the 18 year old accused of the murder to prove that he is innocent and to find the real murderer.
Dragon
Nov 22, 2009 Dragon rated it did not like it
A good mystery. Would definately recommend to anyone looking for a quick read:
Quick Synopsis: "...The library board wants to declare its independence from new member , retired Brigadier General Charlton "Bud" Hatch, a man accustomed to being in charge. Hatch's takeover attitude has alienated everyone in town, especially the woman. But Annie finds it difficult to ignore him at a crowded patriotic festival -- particularly when he's shot dead before her eyes..."
Marti
May 10, 2009 Marti rated it it was ok
I had read another book in the series, so I knew a little of what to expect. This was an okay book, just not outstanding. There are innumerable references to other mystery books, and Carolyn Hart put together an impressive biography for a number of possible suspects toward the end.

There is a good sense of the setting--the heat, the vegetation, and the year round residents. I suppose if I were to experience extreme heat, this would be the way to do it, reading about it and not perspiring.
Fmorlan
May 02, 2013 Fmorlan rated it really liked it
annie and max darling ate charged with saving samuel kinnon from being tried for murder. it occurred on browards rock.where annie owns the bookstore death on demand. it is the first time henny brawley mystery lover steps back from investigating. nothing is right but the darlngs review each suspectntontry and clear samuel. enjoyable as all death on demand series.
Missy
Aug 20, 2007 Missy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy readers/bibliophiles
Shelves: cozymysteries
This is one of the last books when Hart heavily mentions numerous other mystery books and authors. I loved that earlier books did that...I would always jot the titles or authors down and try to search out more info. After this book, the mystery leads have been much fewer and far between...sad to me. I loved this plot!
Judy
Nov 24, 2016 Judy rated it liked it
Annie Darling runs the Death on Demand mystery bookstore on a small island off the coast of South Carolina where a new member of the local library board is attempting to control the board much to their horror. And imagine the horror of Annie Darling when that library board member is shot in front of her during a July 4th celebration.
Michele
Nov 02, 2016 Michele rated it really liked it
The Death on Demand series never fails to entertain! There is one drawback...it is set in a mystery bookstore, so there are always the mention of other mysteries and I end up adding to my to read list......
Elizabeth White
Dec 22, 2013 Elizabeth White rated it it was ok
I could never get engaged with this book. Found the endless lists of mystery novels and authors annoying. I skipped a number of pages from about the middle to the last chapter and didn't feel that I'd missed anything crucial.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, cats, cozy
Death on Demand books are an excellent read. Max and Annie Darling met through the mystery book store, there's a cat which every bookstore should have, good characters, and interesting plots. This is the tenth in the series. I always enjoyed finding new to me authors through this series.
Kenzie
Jun 29, 2008 Kenzie rated it it was ok
eh. i am certainly not going to run out and check out her other 9 books (this one fell in my lap). was annoyed that i found two mistake in the book - once she put in the wrong person's name during a discussion, and another time the middle name of a character changed - within about 10 pages.
Kate
Aug 09, 2008 Kate rated it liked it
This is a cozy mystery meaning there is not much graphic violence or anything. It's brain candy. If you enjoy one you will probably enjoy them all, until they seem too the same. However, if anyone knows a guy like her husband Mac can you send him my way please?
Katie Rekowski
Death on Demand Book Shop book #10. Read by Kate Reading. Annie and Max Reading watch fourth of July festival. Brigadier General shot. Almost everyone is a suspect. Enjoyable. The leads are repeated over and over.

Ivy
Apr 04, 2012 Ivy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-books-read
I found this to be one of the better books in this series. The author didn't drop as many name of other mystery writers as she has in other books in the series. There was more action and there was just enough clues dropped along the way to keep me trying to fogure out who the killer might be.
Jeanette
Dec 22, 2011 Jeanette rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
Am I mistaken or did someone in a few books previously push a vase off a roof to try and kill someone? Repetition is this books theme
Kathleen Meacham
Aug 05, 2015 Kathleen Meacham rated it liked it
Although this book has some elements in it that I personally do not agree with, the plot was pretty good.
Sandie
A light easy read, but slightly predictable mystery.
Jenny Clark
It got a little repetitive with references yo Shakespeare, clasic mysteries and speak your mind. It was pretty well written, and a tangled thread for sure.
Merrilin
Mar 22, 2015 Merrilin rated it really liked it
Very good book I have not read the whole Death On Demand series but I will definitely after reading this book. Great mystery!
Wendy
Aug 12, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good one in the series....although I did happen to figure this one out I really liked the added bonus of insight into Henny's life and her growth as a character.
Vicky Beltz
Feb 22, 2013 Vicky Beltz rated it really liked it
Cozy murder mysteries set out of a bookstore "Death On Demand."
Daelith
Jul 12, 2008 Daelith rated it it was ok
This is the first of this series I read, but I just wasn't overly impressed with it so I don't think I will be continuing with them.
Carey Tynan
Not one of Hart's best, but don't let it discourage you from trying the other books in the series. If for no other reason than to see what looniness Max's mother, Laurel is into now.
PWRL
Jul 10, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
A
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • War and Peas (Jane Jeffry, #8)
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • The Alpine Scandal (Emma Lord, #19)
  • Wicked Craving (Savannah Reid Mystery, #15)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Appeals the Verdict (Mrs. Jeffries, #21)
  • Hangman's Root (China Bayles, #3)
  • Home Fires (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #6)
Also writing as Carolyn G. Hart.

An accomplished master of mystery with 46 published books, Carolyn Hart is the creator of the highly acclaimed Henrie O,Death on Demand, and Bailey Ruth Raeburn series. Her books have won multiple Agatha, Anthony, and Macavity Awards. Letter from Home (2003), her standalone mystery set in Oklahoma, was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize. Her latest book is Dead by Mid
More about Carolyn Hart...

Death On Demand (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Death On Demand (Death On Demand, #1)
  • Design For Murder (Death On Demand, #2)
  • Something Wicked (Death on Demand, #3)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6)
  • The Christie Caper (Death on Demand, #7)
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
  • Mint Julep Murder (Death on Demand, #9)
  • White Elephant Dead (Death on Demand, #11)