Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)

Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand #10)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  808 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Master mystery spinner Carolyn Hart gives us the tenth high-spirited entry in her Agatha, Anthony and Macavity Award-winning Death on Demand series.

The most delectable sleuthing couple since Nick met Nora, Annie and Max Darling manage to find quite a bit of murder in their allegedly safe and serene South Carolina island resort town. After all, murder is Annie's business --...more
Published August 1st 1999 by Avon (first published August 1st 1998)

Tracing the Contours by Honor Amelia DawsonOne for the Money by Janet EvanovichI Scream, You Scream by Wendy Lyn WatsonHard Eight by Janet EvanovichDiners, Dives & Dead Ends by Terri L. Austin
Cozy Crimes
46th out of 149 books — 115 voters
1984 by George OrwellAnimal Farm by George OrwellBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyThe Stranger by Albert CamusWhere the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
White as the Driven Snow
392nd out of 733 books — 168 voters

More lists with this book...

I liked this one, but once again my biggest complaint is with the repitition. This time it is the "Speak Your Mind" phrases. I don't think the book needs these to tie it together, especially since there are enough other recurring themes, such as Laurel's fans with the Shakespeare quotes, and all the references to what other famous book sleuths would say or do in Annie's situation. Someone mentioned that this is the last book in the series to include enless lists of books and their authors. I, fo...more
Brittany
Aug 27, 2008 Brittany rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nearly no one
Recommended to Brittany by: My Mom (sorta)
How I Came To Read This Book: It was (weirdly) my annual Christmas PJs & a book novel.

The Plot: Annie runs a small murder mystery book shop - but on the side, her and her husband Max are often hired to conduct 'real' investigations, usually to answer a question or find something that's been lost. Annie's investigatory skills are put to the test however, when a newcomer (and much-hated) to the town is murdered on July 4, leaving ten suspects with fairly lame motives. Annie's main motivation f...more
Susan Sullivan
I had to force myself to read to page 90 and finally gave up on it, and I'm not one to not finish a book I paid money for. Weak writing, annoying characters, and very little mystery or humor to pull me through the first 4 chapters. The author drops a ton of mystery titles/authors that I've never heard of into the narration and I think this is not only unnecessary wordage, but dates the book. Other reviewers have mentioned the Assertivenss Training quotes and these could have been very funny if e...more
Patti
I love these Death on Demand books. They are those easy-to-ready mysteries that you read quickly and just enjoy. Her characters are like people you know. They could be your friends.
This one was enjoyable as usual.
As in all of her books, the author make us suspicious of several characters.
Anastasia
Yankee Doodle Dead by Carolyn Hart is the tenth book in A death on Demand Mystery series and follows the familiar path of the other books. General Hatch has made many enemies in Bowards Rock, so there is no shortage of suspects when he is shot dead at the Fourth of July celebration. Max and Annie Darling are again in the middle of another murder investigation. I love all the references to other mysteries throughout the book. Max and Annie make a great team and I look forward to following their a...more
Barbara ★
I like the Darling's and I like the writing style. I just disliked the constant literary references. Yes I get that Annie Darling owns a mystery bookstore but must she use book titles, characters and plot lines in almost every sentence she utters? I liked the mystery and I liked the people of this little South Carolina town. I'm going to read the next book White Elephant Dead because I own it but if it continues in this same irritating vein, it will be the last in this series for me.
Marti
I had read another book in the series, so I knew a little of what to expect. This was an okay book, just not outstanding. There are innumerable references to other mystery books, and Carolyn Hart put together an impressive biography for a number of possible suspects toward the end.

There is a good sense of the setting--the heat, the vegetation, and the year round residents. I suppose if I were to experience extreme heat, this would be the way to do it, reading about it and not perspiring.
Dragon
A good mystery. Would definately recommend to anyone looking for a quick read:
Quick Synopsis: "...The library board wants to declare its independence from new member , retired Brigadier General Charlton "Bud" Hatch, a man accustomed to being in charge. Hatch's takeover attitude has alienated everyone in town, especially the woman. But Annie finds it difficult to ignore him at a crowded patriotic festival -- particularly when he's shot dead before her eyes..."
Fmorlan
annie and max darling ate charged with saving samuel kinnon from being tried for murder. it occurred on browards rock.where annie owns the bookstore death on demand. it is the first time henny brawley mystery lover steps back from investigating. nothing is right but the darlngs review each suspectntontry and clear samuel. enjoyable as all death on demand series.
Missy
Aug 20, 2007 Missy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy readers/bibliophiles
Shelves: cozymysteries
This is one of the last books when Hart heavily mentions numerous other mystery books and authors. I loved that earlier books did that...I would always jot the titles or authors down and try to search out more info. After this book, the mystery leads have been much fewer and far between...sad to me. I loved this plot!
Ivy
I found this to be one of the better books in this series. The author didn't drop as many name of other mystery writers as she has in other books in the series. There was more action and there was just enough clues dropped along the way to keep me trying to fogure out who the killer might be.
Kenzie
eh. i am certainly not going to run out and check out her other 9 books (this one fell in my lap). was annoyed that i found two mistake in the book - once she put in the wrong person's name during a discussion, and another time the middle name of a character changed - within about 10 pages.
Kate
This is a cozy mystery meaning there is not much graphic violence or anything. It's brain candy. If you enjoy one you will probably enjoy them all, until they seem too the same. However, if anyone knows a guy like her husband Mac can you send him my way please?
Elizabeth White
I could never get engaged with this book. Found the endless lists of mystery novels and authors annoying. I skipped a number of pages from about the middle to the last chapter and didn't feel that I'd missed anything crucial.
Katie Rekowski
Death on Demand Book Shop book #10. Read by Kate Reading. Annie and Max Reading watch fourth of July festival. Brigadier General shot. Almost everyone is a suspect. Enjoyable. The leads are repeated over and over.

Carey Tynan
Not one of Hart's best, but don't let it discourage you from trying the other books in the series. If for no other reason than to see what looniness Max's mother, Laurel is into now.
Jeanette
Am I mistaken or did someone in a few books previously push a vase off a roof to try and kill someone? Repetition is this books theme
Daelith
This is the first of this series I read, but I just wasn't overly impressed with it so I don't think I will be continuing with them.
Katrina Brage
It was OK, just your usual cozy. Nothing really unexpected. I figured it out pretty early.
Raymond
Nice little old fashinoned kind of mystery in which everybody knows everybody else.
Vicky Beltz
Cozy murder mysteries set out of a bookstore "Death On Demand."
Sandie
A light easy read, but slightly predictable mystery.
Dahlia
It was ok......not the best from Death on Demand.
Mirrhya
Pretty typical mystery. Good beach read
Katelyn
Didn't care for the ending!
Pat
May 15, 2011 Pat added it
Death on Demand
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • War and Peas (Jane Jeffry, #8)
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • Fugitive Colors (Sigrid Harald Mysteries #8)
  • Dragonwell Dead (A Tea Shop Mystery, #8)
  • No Nest for the Wicket (Meg Langslow, #7)
  • Hangman's Root (China Bayles, #3)
  • Sour Grapes (Savannah Reid, #6)
  • Aunt Dimity: Detective (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #7)
Also writing as Carolyn G. Hart.

An accomplished master of mystery with 46 published books, Carolyn Hart is the creator of the highly acclaimed Henrie O,Death on Demand, and Bailey Ruth Raeburn series. Her books have won multiple Agatha, Anthony, and Macavity Awards. Letter from Home (2003), her standalone mystery set in Oklahoma, was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize. Her latest book is Dead by Mid...more
More about Carolyn Hart...
Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1) Dare to Die (Death on Demand, #19) Sugarplum Dead (Death on Demand, #12) Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14) April Fool Dead (Death on Demand, #13)