Start by marking “Dead Days of Summer (Death on Demand, #17)” as Want to Read:
Dead Days of Summer (Death on Demand, #17)

Dead Days of Summer (Death On Demand #17)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  671 ratings  ·  52 reviews

Published March 27th 2007 by Avon (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Days of Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Days of Summer

Anastasia
Dead Days of Summer by Carolyn Hart is the 17th book in the Death on Demand mystery series. Annie Darling is the owner of Death on Demand mystery bookstore and her husband Max Darling runs Confidential Commissions. Max accepts a commission to locate a clients brother, but instead his client ends up dead and he is arrested for her murder. Annie, with the help of the other residents of Boward's Rock, set out to prove his innocence by finding the real murderer. I enjoyed this addition to the series ...more
I give the writing, plot and characterization a 3, but the editing a 2. That unfortunately seems to be a trend with this series. In one instance, Annie calls Vanessa's sister "Ginger" when her name is Ginny, short for Ginivieve, and another time the "e" was left off the end of "crease." I don't know why these obvious mistakes keep popping up. Maybe the editor needs to make a chart while reading to keep track of names, including middle names in some of the previous books, and maybe catch some of ...more
Jess
I really like the Death On Demand series. Carolyn Hart's writing is always good, but I'm not as taken with her other series - the characters are somehow just not as tactile and reachable as Annie and Max and the rest of Broward's Rock.

I know a lot of people don't like book series which have the same cast of characters again and again. In theory, I agree that you can only go through so many permutations of the same cast list before things get stale. However, it's my opinion that the mark of a goo
Dlytle
A Death on Demand mystery by Carolyn Hart. The story line on this was was a little more involved than most, but still predictable. The ending, however, left me unsatisfied. There are too many things that are never explained. Why and how was Max chosen? How did the murder victim think that this set up would lead to her long term happiness? What had she been told? Having some of these answers would have made the entire plot more believable. Still, it was a quick and easy read, with enough plot and ...more
Kate
"Annie Darling, owner of the Death on Demand mystery bookstore, is understandably upset. It isn't like her p.i. husband Max to abruptly disappear and homicide is definitely not his style. But when his car is found abandoned on a remote road with a brutally slain, once-beautiful young woman nearby and the murder weapon stashed in the trunk, Annie's worst fears seem justified.

"The police have Max all but tried and convicted except for Chief Billy Cameron, whose unshakable belief in his friend's in
bookczuk
Typical for the series. I am occasionally annoyed by some obvious plot holes or errors in SC descriptions in these books, but I keep reading them for light diversion.

In this case, I kept screaming in my head about the missing diary for them to check the internet for a blog or live journal. But they never did, coming up with their own weak solution, which I think will lead to a good lawyer crying "foul! entrapment!" in court.

the other big question (and no, this is NOT a spoiler) that never was a
Helen
This is #17 and I think MS Hart should rest a bit. I'm afraid the motivation for the murder is just too weak and I can't accept it. I've read the next one which was, I think, more plausible, so perhaps this is just a glitch. I love the characters, love the store & the cats and I can even accept the mother-in-law, although there are moments when she goes overboard. I love the community, although the island seems to be growing in size all the time, and Annie's friends are just what you want fr ...more
Lindsay
I bought this book because I liked the cover. I judge books by their cover. If I dont like the cover, I won't get it. Anyway, I liked the fireworks, because they made me think of the 4th of July, which makes me think of summer, which is almost here. Plus the storyline sounded interesting.
This is part of a series (book #17 in fact), and its about married couple Annie and Max. Annie owns a mystery bookstore and Max is a P.I. In this book, Max takes on a case for Vanessa, who later ends up dead, an
Jasmyn
A nice little mystery is the best way to describe this book. Annie's husband, Max, has been accused of murder, but she knows that he couldn't have done it. So she decides to find out what really happened and track down the actual murderer. At first the case seems pretty bad, all evidence points to Max and the little bits that could point in another direction can be easily explained away. As Annie rounds up all their friends to help investigate you are introduced to a tight knit and interesting g ...more
Katie Rekowski
Demand bookstore owner ANNIE DARLING, must find her abducted husband with hardly a clue and pull off his surprise birthday party. The entire community gather and plan and commit to finding Max. Annie with her force eventually are successful. It was enjoyable and easy to drive to. 2006. Read byKate Reading.
September
This is apparently part of a series. A series that up to now I have not read. I listened to it over the course of the last week and a half, to and from work.

My measure of an audio book is whether I am "content" listening to the book while I drive, or if I am thinking, "gee, I should call ... fill in the blank ..." This book kept my interest.

There were some parts of the plot that were very well developed, and, at times, there were things, like a missing diary, that annoyed me no end, because the
Sandy Weir
My friend Susan presented this book to me as a little gift the other day. At first I could not get started with it, but eventually I found it unusual and the plot was unique. I would not call it a cliff hanger, though, and just kept reading to see how the author would tie the pieces together.
Megan Kelly
This was a very interesting read. I jumped into the later end of this series without having read any of the earlier books, but I can assure you the author does a good job on "catching up" the reader. I didn't have any problems keeping track of which character was who, nor did I feel lost in any of the setting or other details. The main character's husband is accused of murdering the woman he's supposedly cheating with. The wife tries to clear him by finding the "real" murderer. The other woman, ...more
Cheryl
I used to read a lot more mysteries but got tired of how some were way too detailed in the murder. This wasn't like that. It was more of how to prove the accused was innocent.
Aunt Pitty
Another great "Death on Demand" book! Thanks to all of Annie and Max's friends, justice is served on Browards Rock! Excitement from chapter one!
Kate
This is only the second "Death on Demand" book that I've read, but both of them were so good that now I'm dying to get my hands on any book by Ms. Hart. "Dead Days of Summer" takes place on a small island off of South Carolina- Annie's husband Max is arrested for murder, and she must rally together with her friends to prove his innocence before it's too late. It sounds a bit clichéd, but there are so many twists and turns in this book that the plot is actually anything but. This book was fast pa ...more
Diane ~Firefly~
It's always nice to check in with old friends, even when they've fallen on hard times. In this book, poor Max is setup to take the fall for a murder and it's up to Annie and the gang to clear him.

What I enjoyed:
* I love Annie and Max's relationship. They are a great couple.
* The cast of characters.
* I really enjoy how these books start off with quick glimpses into the lives of the people who will be important.

What could have been better:
* The mystery itself. It was pretty obvious who the bad gu
Leah Madsen
Dianne
Apr 26, 2014 Dianne added it
Light, good for audio and driving
Marilyn
This is the first that I have read of Carolyn Hart. She has a series called Death on Demand-the name of a bookstore owned by Annie Darling. Her rich husband is a private investigator. Annies husband goes missing and she enlists the aid of her quirky mother-in-law and many friends in the small low country town to find out what happened to him-as it turns out he's been framed for a murder so Annie and friends go into action to investigate, what really happened. Decent story, I'll be ordering more ...more
Jann Barber
Max, Annie Darling's husband, takes on a case when a beautiful woman asks him to find her brother. Suddenly, Max finds himself arrested for the murder of the woman.

Annie and her friends spring into action to prove Max' innocence and unmask the identity of a calculating killer.

The reader knows Max must be found innocent, as this upbeat series would not work if Max went to prison for life. The usual characters are present as Annie's friends and the plot devices work. It was a quick read; good for
Nikki
I always enjoy visiting with the characters of this series.
Christine
Annie and Max are both twenty-something (ha!) Annie owns a bookstore called Death on Demand. Max is a P.I. During an investigation, the client is murdered and Max is the main suspect. Annie & friends work to prove Max innocent and find the real killer.
Hart is a highly acclaimed mystery writer and I have no idea why. Characters are not endearing. The plot is contrived. Doubt that I will read any more of Hart's books.
Chris
Max is in jail the whole story...wrongly accused for a murder.
The town pulls together and begins their own investigation. The police chief (Billy) is restricted from investigating further because the raunchy mayor needs the positive publicity generated by the capture of the killer.

Because of the help from the town and Billy, Annie saves the day...and we all knew that would happen...sigh
Starla B
This is the first Carolyn Hart Death On Demand book I've read. I had to get used to her style of writing (the first few chapters can be confusing if you're not expecting it...seemingly random glimpses into the lives and actions of seemingly random people), but once I did, I really enjoyed it (and the rest of the books in the series).
Joanna
I won't miss one of these either---Annie Darling, the plucky mystery bookstore owner who solves a neverending stream of mysteries in her little island community, LOVES books, her cat, her beloved Max, and finding out every thing about every mystery. Their exploits are fun, and she sprinkles the text with allusions to other mysteries.
Tracie
This was the first book I read in this series and I am not sure if I will venture into anymore titles. One of the main characters, Annie comes of as whiny and there were too many pages of fluff (life stories of suspects). It was OK, but I have read better.
Wilhelmina Jenkins
This was a light, easy read - nothing exciting, nothing objectionable, just pleasant. This book is part of the Death om Demand series, of which I have read a few. Sort of like eating at McDonald's - not top of the line, but no unpleasant surprises either.
Patti
I thought this was her best one yet. Though the plot and some of the characters' actions are pretty silly, the book was very enjoyable to read. I still think that these are great summer reading mysteries. They are quick to read and always fun.
Barbara
A death on Demand series book of Carolyn Hart. Fast, easy, read that keeps you guessing. I liked her death on demand book better than the Henrie O series, but I will read more when I want a light quick mystery.
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • Assault and Pepper (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #13)
  • Not a Girl Detective (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #2)
  • The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2)
  • Oolong Dead (A Tea Shop Mystery, #10)
  • The Viognier Vendetta (Wine Country Mysteries #5)
  • Mulch Ado About Nothing (Jane Jeffry, #12)
  • The Alpine Kindred (Emma Lord Mystery, #11)
  • Murder of a Bookstore Babe (Scumble River Mystery, #13)
Also writing as Carolyn G. Hart.

An accomplished master of mystery with 46 published books, Carolyn Hart is the creator of the highly acclaimed Henrie O,Death on Demand, and Bailey Ruth Raeburn series. Her books have won multiple Agatha, Anthony, and Macavity Awards. Letter from Home (2003), her standalone mystery set in Oklahoma, was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize. Her latest book is Dead by Mid
More about Carolyn Hart...

Death On Demand (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Death On Demand (Death On Demand, #1)
  • Design For Murder (Death On Demand, #2)
  • Something Wicked (Death on Demand, #3)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6)
  • The Christie Caper (Death on Demand, #7)
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
  • Mint Julep Murder (Death on Demand, #9)
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1) Dare to Die (Death on Demand, #19) Sugarplum Dead (Death on Demand, #12) Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10) April Fool Dead (Death on Demand, #13)