Start by marking “Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14)” as Want to Read:
Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14)

Engaged to Die (Death On Demand #14)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  931 ratings  ·  27 reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
Award-winning author Carolyn Hart opens an exciting new chapter in the story of insatiably curious Annie Darling, owner of the Death on Demand mystery bookstore. Love is in the air on the Low Country island of Broward's Rock: Annie is passionately devoted to her charming husband, Max; her young holiday helper, Chloe, is entranced by the sexy st
Published January 27th 2004 by Avon (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Engaged to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Engaged to Die

This series has some obvious cozy appeal (mystery book store owner solves mysteries on charming storybook island!) that kept me interested enough to read several of its titles. But I think I'm done with this series for now, or at least going to take a break from it.

There are few things that have disappointed me in several Death on Demand books, and which seemed especially to be the case in this book:

- The plots feel formulaic and, in this case, disjointed .... there was a whole subplot that fe
"Love is in the air -- but, alas, so is murder.

"When wealthy, widowed art patron Virginia Neville officially announces her engagement to Jake O'Neill -- her handsome, charm, and much younger fiance -- at a gala gallery opening, not all the gathered friends and stepfamily are pleased. And before the last champagne bubble pops, murder disrupts the grand celebration. Bookstore owner Annie Darling has a vested interest in the investigation, and she's determined to untangle an unholy marriage of jeal
Walsh Walsh
Surprised her books receiving such high ratings. In this, only one I've read, characters not well developed at all. Just a very shallow, skim writing style. OK, to while away time and relax, but never grabs you by seat of pants.
#14 in the death on demand mystery series featuring Max and Annie Darling set on the small island of Broward's Rock off the South Carolina coast. Story involves a wealthy art gallery owning island family with the widow about to announce her engagement to a younger man who is found murdered during the celebration. Annie and Max attend the gathering are on scene shortly after the murder whose main suspect is a young girl who works for Annie in her bookstore. Annie firmly believes that she is innoc ...more
Awake all night on pins and needles, October 22, 2012
By Ellen Rappaport (Florida)
This review is from: Engaged to Die (Death on Demand Mysteries, No. 14) (Mass Market Paperback)
I have enjoyed this author, Carolyn Hart, and this series for several years. The Death on Demand with Annie & Max Darling is a great mystery series. I've also read many Henrie'O and Bailey Ruth books by the same author.
I started listening to this wonderful story on CD and couldn't turn it off. In this story Jake is
This is the first mystery by Carolyn Hart that I've read (full disclosure: I didn't read it; I listened to the book on CD narrated by Kate Reading). It was a satisfying mystery in that I could keep the plot and characters straight, even when some time had elapsed between listening sessions; the principal characters were pretty engaging; and I didn't figure out who the murderer was before the book revealed it.
Annie Darling, the adored wife of Max Darling, runs a book shop specializing in mysterie
this is not a typical book from this series.

It's focused more on characters who aren't fully developed - she spends most of the book on these characters. It doesn't really contain the series "regulars" that have more depth and texture...that many readers have grown to love.

It's almost a little detour, this book. It's entertaining enough, but there is something unsatisfying about it as a mystery to me. as an intellectual exercise, it's entertaining, but I just didn't really care what happens to
Reenie Peppers
I'm quite fond of this particular series. Usually I don't guess the murderer until shortly before the reveal. The ending and motives are always well-presented and plausible. The books always include the titles and authors of other mystery books - this introduces the reader to other good mystery titles.
Will not finish. Won't read more in this series. Here's why.

1) "death on demand" is a mystery bookstore. The author throws in references to other mysteries at least once per chapter. Specific books the bookstore customers bought (title and author) and a friend that challenges the protagonist with mystery trivia, to which she knows all the answers. This is distracting and doesn't add to the plot at all.

2) The protagonist makes decisions that are impossible to swallow as realistic. It's difficult
Katharine Ott
"Engaged to Die" - written by Carolyn Hart and published in 2003 by William Morrow. An amusing mystery featuring a bookstore owner, a bit too long though.
Fun setting for a mystery series: an island off the Carolina coast. Our heroine owns a mystery book shop. There are many references to classic and contemporary mysteries, and that was fun. As far as mysteries go, it was mildly entertaining in spite of some real improbabilities.
I generally like the Death on Demand series, but this one just fell very flat and could not keep my interest.
It's been such a long time since I read this book. Now that I think, of it, why don't I read more by this author? It's part of a successful series, and I need to get busy and find some more.

This one is about a step-family and an art gallery. But the sleuths are "Darling". or at least that's their surname. I'll let you know if I find more of these.
Conni Harness
Good book, but weak on ending resolutions. I wanted more finality on the Neville family. still good read tho'
I enjoyed this "Death on Demand" series mystery even more than the first one I read. (This is my second)I listen to these and I like the narrator (Mitzi Friedlander). This book kept my interest going from the start!
I was pretty sure who them murderer was fairly early on, but it was a fun romp to get to the denouement. This was another book long on my to-be-read shelf. Now to find the next in the series.
Carolyn Hart is always an easy read. I am pretty sure I read this one years ago and somehow picked up another copy of it. That's okay because she is always good to read!
Nancy Chaddick
I love Carolyn Hart's mysteries - especially the Death on Demand series. Henry O is not my favorite. It makes for a fun, easy read with just enough tension to make it interesting.
Meh. Predictable mystery-romance. Helped me pass the time until I have access to a full library again.
A page turner. Really well written. I'm tempted to skip to the end because I have no idea whodunit!
I really enjoy this author and her mystery series "Death on Demand". I will certainly read more.
Surprisingly entertaining. Well written and enjoyable. I plan to find more books by this author!
An interesting mystery as I had never read any by Carolyn Hart before.
Enjoyable read but it dragged at the end. Was glad to finish it.
Vicky Beltz
Cozy murder mysteries set out of a bookstore "Death On Demand."
Susan Moore
It's a fun read.
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2)
  • A Midsummer Night's Scream (Jane Jeffry, #15)
  • The Crepes of Wrath (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #9)
  • Hocus Croakus (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #19)
  • Access Denied (Turing Hopper, #3)
  • Sour Grapes (Savannah Reid, #6)
  • Hangman's Root (China Bayles, #3)
  • Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery, #3)
Also writing as Carolyn G. Hart.

An accomplished master of mystery with 46 published books, Carolyn Hart is the creator of the highly acclaimed Henrie O,Death on Demand, and Bailey Ruth Raeburn series. Her books have won multiple Agatha, Anthony, and Macavity Awards. Letter from Home (2003), her standalone mystery set in Oklahoma, was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize. Her latest book is Dead by Mid
More about Carolyn Hart...

Death On Demand (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Death On Demand (Death On Demand, #1)
  • Design For Murder (Death On Demand, #2)
  • Something Wicked (Death on Demand, #3)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6)
  • The Christie Caper (Death on Demand, #7)
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
  • Mint Julep Murder (Death on Demand, #9)
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)