Start by marking “Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14)” as Want to Read:
Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14)

Engaged to Die (Death On Demand #14)

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  1,096 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
Award-winning author Carolyn Hart opens an exciting new chapter in the story of insatiably curious Annie Darling, owner of the Death on Demand mystery bookstore. Love is in the air on the Low Country island of Broward's Rock: Annie is passionately devoted to her charming husband, Max; her young holiday helper, Chloe, is entranced by the sexy st
Published January 27th 2004 by Avon (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Engaged to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Engaged to Die

Stevie
Sep 16, 2012 Stevie rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
This series has some obvious cozy appeal (mystery book store owner solves mysteries on charming storybook island!) that kept me interested enough to read several of its titles. But I think I'm done with this series for now, or at least going to take a break from it.

There are few things that have disappointed me in several Death on Demand books, and which seemed especially to be the case in this book:

- The plots feel formulaic and, in this case, disjointed .... there was a whole subplot that fe
Walsh Walsh
Jul 19, 2009 Walsh Walsh rated it it was ok
Surprised her books receiving such high ratings. In this, only one I've read, characters not well developed at all. Just a very shallow, skim writing style. OK, to while away time and relax, but never grabs you by seat of pants.
FangirlNation
Feb 22, 2017 FangirlNation rated it really liked it
In Engaged to Die , the 14th book in the Death on Demand series by Carolyn G. Hart, the January night is perfect for the party to celebrate the engagement between Virginia Neville and Jake O'Neill, but when the time arrives for the big announcement, Jake is nowhere to be found. That is, until someone finds his body with his head bashed in on the beach. And Chloe Martin, Annie's holiday assistant at her store, who has thought that Jake was dating her exclusively until she learns otherwise at the ...more
Michele
Feb 15, 2017 Michele rated it really liked it
I love Carolyn Harts Death on Demand series.....the central character is Annie, who runs a mystery book store called Death on Demand. There are secondary characters that you love, love to hate and laugh with. Each story takes place with a new character, but it doesn't take away from the existing ones. It all just works. The only downside....there are numerous mystery titles that come up....from those listed on the coffee mugs to the monthly contest in the store...to the titles mentioned when a n ...more
Kate
Nov 20, 2014 Kate rated it it was ok
"Love is in the air -- but, alas, so is murder.

"When wealthy, widowed art patron Virginia Neville officially announces her engagement to Jake O'Neill -- her handsome, charm, and much younger fiance -- at a gala gallery opening, not all the gathered friends and stepfamily are pleased. And before the last champagne bubble pops, murder disrupts the grand celebration. Bookstore owner Annie Darling has a vested interest in the investigation, and she's determined to untangle an unholy marriage of jeal
Nov 13, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
This is the first mystery by Carolyn Hart that I've read (full disclosure: I didn't read it; I listened to the book on CD narrated by Kate Reading). It was a satisfying mystery in that I could keep the plot and characters straight, even when some time had elapsed between listening sessions; the principal characters were pretty engaging; and I didn't figure out who the murderer was before the book revealed it.
Annie Darling, the adored wife of Max Darling, runs a book shop specializing in mysterie
Ellen
Oct 22, 2012 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Awake all night on pins and needles, October 22, 2012
By Ellen Rappaport (Florida)
This review is from: Engaged to Die (Death on Demand Mysteries, No. 14) (Mass Market Paperback)
I have enjoyed this author, Carolyn Hart, and this series for several years. The Death on Demand with Annie & Max Darling is a great mystery series. I've also read many Henrie'O and Bailey Ruth books by the same author.
I started listening to this wonderful story on CD and couldn't turn it off. In this story Jake is
Rivkah
Jul 04, 2012 Rivkah rated it liked it
this is not a typical book from this series.

It's focused more on characters who aren't fully developed - she spends most of the book on these characters. It doesn't really contain the series "regulars" that have more depth and texture...that many readers have grown to love.

It's almost a little detour, this book. It's entertaining enough, but there is something unsatisfying about it as a mystery to me. as an intellectual exercise, it's entertaining, but I just didn't really care what happens to
Karla
Nov 01, 2013 Karla rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: will-not-finish
Will not finish. Won't read more in this series. Here's why.

1) "death on demand" is a mystery bookstore. The author throws in references to other mysteries at least once per chapter. Specific books the bookstore customers bought (title and author) and a friend that challenges the protagonist with mystery trivia, to which she knows all the answers. This is distracting and doesn't add to the plot at all.

2) The protagonist makes decisions that are impossible to swallow as realistic. It's difficult
Rachel
Dec 07, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, pbt-baseball
Wealthy Virginia Neville is throwing a party to announce her engagement to the much younger artist Jake O'Neill. A murder mars their engagement party and Annie Darling becomes involved when the assistant in her store, Chloe Martin, becomes a prime suspect. There is a sub plot involving a bad night manager at a retirement home. This subplot seems to only be there to add about fifty pages to the book and to add some drama to the ending. The ending seemed rushed and a good explanation of all the mu ...more
George
Jul 22, 2015 George rated it liked it
#14 in the death on demand mystery series featuring Max and Annie Darling set on the small island of Broward's Rock off the South Carolina coast. Story involves a wealthy art gallery owning island family with the widow about to announce her engagement to a younger man who is found murdered during the celebration. Annie and Max attend the gathering are on scene shortly after the murder whose main suspect is a young girl who works for Annie in her bookstore. Annie firmly believes that she is innoc ...more
Julianne
Jan 21, 2009 Julianne rated it really liked it
It's been such a long time since I read this book. Now that I think, of it, why don't I read more by this author? It's part of a successful series, and I need to get busy and find some more.

This one is about a step-family and an art gallery. But the sleuths are "Darling". or at least that's their surname. I'll let you know if I find more of these.
Reenie Peppers
Aug 24, 2014 Reenie Peppers rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I'm quite fond of this particular series. Usually I don't guess the murderer until shortly before the reveal. The ending and motives are always well-presented and plausible. The books always include the titles and authors of other mystery books - this introduces the reader to other good mystery titles.
Emily
Jan 21, 2014 Emily rated it liked it
Fun setting for a mystery series: an island off the Carolina coast. Our heroine owns a mystery book shop. There are many references to classic and contemporary mysteries, and that was fun. As far as mysteries go, it was mildly entertaining in spite of some real improbabilities.
Connie
Aug 31, 2011 Connie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I enjoyed this "Death on Demand" series mystery even more than the first one I read. (This is my second)I listen to these and I like the narrator (Mitzi Friedlander). This book kept my interest going from the start!
Kathy Chung
Nov 06, 2011 Kathy Chung rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Reviewed at : Mama Kucing Meow: Engaged To Die by Carolyn Hart

I love a good mystery
Kathleen Meacham
May 29, 2016 Kathleen Meacham rated it liked it
Pretty good for the type of cozy mystery that it is. Could have done without the gd's and jc's though.
Melissa
Sep 18, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok
I generally like the Death on Demand series, but this one just fell very flat and could not keep my interest.
Amanda
Jul 29, 2016 Amanda rated it it was ok
I listened to this book. Although I was surprised at the murderer, I can't say that I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I will still continue my adventures with Annie Darling.
Julianne
Mar 22, 2011 Julianne rated it liked it
Meh. Predictable mystery-romance. Helped me pass the time until I have access to a full library again.
Nancy Chaddick
Sep 16, 2013 Nancy Chaddick rated it it was amazing
I love Carolyn Hart's mysteries - especially the Death on Demand series. Henry O is not my favorite. It makes for a fun, easy read with just enough tension to make it interesting.
Wendy
Jan 29, 2016 Wendy rated it liked it
Liked this one. Still wonder why anyone would be a friend of Annie. She is always mad, glaring, etc. Not the best of the series and I thought easily solvable. But a nice, easy read.
Lbaker
Mar 26, 2011 Lbaker rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-couple
I read this series, but sometimes find myself annoyed with the heroine - If Annie is so gungho with work - why is she constantly out of her store, leaving others to watch it?
Conni Harness
Feb 04, 2015 Conni Harness rated it really liked it
Good book, but weak on ending resolutions. I wanted more finality on the Neville family. still good read tho'
Sallie
Apr 30, 2011 Sallie rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I was pretty sure who them murderer was fairly early on, but it was a fun romp to get to the denouement. This was another book long on my to-be-read shelf. Now to find the next in the series.
ELIZABETH HARRIS
Mar 20, 2016 ELIZABETH HARRIS rated it did not like it
Shelves: southern
I usually like these Death on Demand books, but this one Annie was really getting on my nerves. Her blind trust in Chloe was annoying. I wish Billy would have thrown HER in jail.
Cat
Jun 15, 2008 Cat rated it really liked it
A page turner. Really well written. I'm tempted to skip to the end because I have no idea whodunit!
Artha
Jan 14, 2012 Artha rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Carolyn Hart is always an easy read. I am pretty sure I read this one years ago and somehow picked up another copy of it. That's okay because she is always good to read!
Katharine Ott
"Engaged to Die" - written by Carolyn Hart and published in 2003 by William Morrow. An amusing mystery featuring a bookstore owner, a bit too long though.
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2013
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • Dead Man Docking (Bed-and-Breakfast, #21)
  • The Crepes of Wrath (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #9)
  • Bell, Book, and Scandal (Jane Jeffry, #14)
  • Access Denied (Turing Hopper, #3)
  • Lavender Lies (China Bayles, #8)
  • Bloody Kin
  • Cooked Goose (Savannah Reid, #4)
Also writing as Carolyn G. Hart.

An accomplished master of mystery with 46 published books, Carolyn Hart is the creator of the highly acclaimed Henrie O,Death on Demand, and Bailey Ruth Raeburn series. Her books have won multiple Agatha, Anthony, and Macavity Awards. Letter from Home (2003), her standalone mystery set in Oklahoma, was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize. Her latest book is Dead by Mid
More about Carolyn Hart...

Death On Demand (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Death On Demand (Death On Demand, #1)
  • Design For Murder (Death On Demand, #2)
  • Something Wicked (Death on Demand, #3)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6)
  • The Christie Caper (Death on Demand, #7)
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
  • Mint Julep Murder (Death on Demand, #9)
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)