Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14)

Engaged to Die (Death on Demand #14)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  721 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
Award-winning author Carolyn Hart opens an exciting new chapter in the story of insatiably curious Annie Darling, owner of the Death on Demand mystery bookstore. Love is in the air on the Low Country island of Broward's Rock: Annie is passionately devoted to her charming husband, Max; her young holiday helper, Chloe, is entranced by the sexy st...more
Published January 27th 2004 by Avon (first published 2003)

Stevie
This series has some obvious cozy appeal (mystery book store owner solves mysteries on charming storybook island!) that kept me interested enough to read several of its titles. But I think I'm done with this series for now, or at least going to take a break from it.

There are few things that have disappointed me in several Death on Demand books, and which seemed especially to be the case in this book:

- The plots feel formulaic and, in this case, disjointed .... there was a whole subplot that fe...more
Walsh Walsh
Surprised her books receiving such high ratings. In this, only one I've read, characters not well developed at all. Just a very shallow, skim writing style. OK, to while away time and relax, but never grabs you by seat of pants.
Ellen
Awake all night on pins and needles, October 22, 2012
By Ellen Rappaport (Florida)
This review is from: Engaged to Die (Death on Demand Mysteries, No. 14) (Mass Market Paperback)
I have enjoyed this author, Carolyn Hart, and this series for several years. The Death on Demand with Annie & Max Darling is a great mystery series. I've also read many Henrie'O and Bailey Ruth books by the same author.
I started listening to this wonderful story on CD and couldn't turn it off. In this story Jake is...more
This is the first mystery by Carolyn Hart that I've read (full disclosure: I didn't read it; I listened to the book on CD narrated by Kate Reading). It was a satisfying mystery in that I could keep the plot and characters straight, even when some time had elapsed between listening sessions; the principal characters were pretty engaging; and I didn't figure out who the murderer was before the book revealed it.
Annie Darling, the adored wife of Max Darling, runs a book shop specializing in mysterie...more
Rivkah
this is not a typical book from this series.

It's focused more on characters who aren't fully developed - she spends most of the book on these characters. It doesn't really contain the series "regulars" that have more depth and texture...that many readers have grown to love.

It's almost a little detour, this book. It's entertaining enough, but there is something unsatisfying about it as a mystery to me. as an intellectual exercise, it's entertaining, but I just didn't really care what happens to...more
Karla
Will not finish. Won't read more in this series. Here's why.

1) "death on demand" is a mystery bookstore. The author throws in references to other mysteries at least once per chapter. Specific books the bookstore customers bought (title and author) and a friend that challenges the protagonist with mystery trivia, to which she knows all the answers. This is distracting and doesn't add to the plot at all.

2) The protagonist makes decisions that are impossible to swallow as realistic. It's difficult...more
Emily
Fun setting for a mystery series: an island off the Carolina coast. Our heroine owns a mystery book shop. There are many references to classic and contemporary mysteries, and that was fun. As far as mysteries go, it was mildly entertaining in spite of some real improbabilities.
Julianne
It's been such a long time since I read this book. Now that I think, of it, why don't I read more by this author? It's part of a successful series, and I need to get busy and find some more.

This one is about a step-family and an art gallery. But the sleuths are "Darling". or at least that's their surname. I'll let you know if I find more of these.
Connie
I enjoyed this "Death on Demand" series mystery even more than the first one I read. (This is my second)I listen to these and I like the narrator (Mitzi Friedlander). This book kept my interest going from the start!
Sallie
I was pretty sure who them murderer was fairly early on, but it was a fun romp to get to the denouement. This was another book long on my to-be-read shelf. Now to find the next in the series.
Artha
Carolyn Hart is always an easy read. I am pretty sure I read this one years ago and somehow picked up another copy of it. That's okay because she is always good to read!
Nancy Chaddick
I love Carolyn Hart's mysteries - especially the Death on Demand series. Henry O is not my favorite. It makes for a fun, easy read with just enough tension to make it interesting.
Julianne
Meh. Predictable mystery-romance. Helped me pass the time until I have access to a full library again.
Cat
A page turner. Really well written. I'm tempted to skip to the end because I have no idea whodunit!
Morrigan
I really enjoy this author and her mystery series "Death on Demand". I will certainly read more.
Jenna
Surprisingly entertaining. Well written and enjoyable. I plan to find more books by this author!
Jenn
An interesting mystery as I had never read any by Carolyn Hart before.
Vicky Beltz
Cozy murder mysteries set out of a bookstore "Death On Demand."
Susan Moore
It's a fun read.
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Cinlar
Cinlar marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Sherry Whisonant
Sherry Whisonant marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2)
  • The Crepes of Wrath (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #9)
  • A Dilly of a Death (China Bayles, #12)
  • Fear of Frying (Jane Jeffry, #9)
  • Dead Man Docking (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #21)
  • Sour Grapes (Savannah Reid, #6)
  • Oolong Dead (A Tea Shop Mystery, #10)
Also writing as Carolyn G. Hart.

An accomplished master of mystery with 46 published books, Carolyn Hart is the creator of the highly acclaimed Henrie O,Death on Demand, and Bailey Ruth Raeburn series. Her books have won multiple Agatha, Anthony, and Macavity Awards. Letter from Home (2003), her standalone mystery set in Oklahoma, was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize. Her latest book is Dead by Mid...more
More about Carolyn Hart...
Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1) Dare to Die (Death on Demand, #19) Sugarplum Dead (Death on Demand, #12) Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10) April Fool Dead (Death on Demand, #13)