Start by marking “Death at Devil's Bridge (Kathryn Ardleigh, #4)” as Want to Read:
Death at Devil's Bridge (Kathryn Ardleigh, #4)

Death at Devil's Bridge (Kathryn Ardleigh #4)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  715 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Newlyweds Charles and Kate Sheridan host an auto exhibition at Kate's ancestral home, attended by Europe's foremost investors and inventors. But competition, speed and money--more explosive than gasoline--are deadly for one auto builder! Now amateur sleuths must unravel the mystery before the carnage spreads.
Published February 1st 1998 by Berkley (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Death at Devil's Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death at Devil's Bridge

Susan
Death at Devil’s Bridge by Robin Paige is the fourth book of the Victorian Mystery series set in Victorian England.

At last Kate has realized her dream of marrying Sir Charles Sheridan. The newlyweds live together in Bishop’s Keep, the Ardleigh ancestral home Kate inherited from her Aunt Sabrina Ardleigh. There are difficulties with Charles’ side of the family; his mother is not willing to accept an Irish-American daughter-in-law at her estates in Somersworth. Charles has modernized the Ardleigh
Donna Zigmont
I enjoyed the book.I like that the series isn't super intense or dramatic,just a nice easy read.I really like the main characters of Charles and Kathryn.They go very well together and balance each other out.One thing I really love about the series itself is the blending and interaction of real and fictional characters.The authors make you feel like you're right there in the story with the descriptions of the scene.I love historical fiction and historical mystery and this blends both of them toge ...more
Argum
The third in the series finds our heroes married and still living in Bishops Keep. The interest of the neighbor's son in early cars takes center stage as balloon and car chase comes to town along with Rolls and Royce. Several cars are in the race -electric steam and gas powered- with very antagonistic drivers. The balloon is sabotaged and then there is a deadly car wreck. Were these accidents or intentional murder? Much more science than usual with actual fingerprints and microscopic evidence us ...more
Lori McD
3+ stars

These books are good, in that they're fun little cozy mysteries that are consistently well told tales with English countryside characters that include both gentry and the common folk. But the "spice", if you will, is that they always include real persons from the time - a slice of history, if you will.

In this book, we meet Rolls and Royce, who do eventually create the Rolls-Royce. The book is all about how automobiles affected England at the turn of the century. Most folks were up-in-arm
Michelle
This is the 4th book in the Victorian Mystery series by Robin Paige. Kate and Charles have married, though his family, particularly his mother, are not pleased about his choice of wife. They are asked by their dear friend, and motorcar fanatic, Bradford Marsden, to host a chase race, where the motorcars will compete to find a hot air balloon's landing spot. A local man, who apparently has died of natural causes, is found, but the locals feel that he may have been frightened to death by a motorca ...more
Paula
This is the fourth book in Paige's long-running series featuring Kate Ardleigh and Sir Charles Sheridan, happily stumbling across murder and mayhem in Victorian England.

It follows on from Death at Daisy's Folly, and this time around, the plot focusses on the new-fangled automobiles that are starting to become popular, although controversy surrounds them, especially when one appears to be implicated in the death of an elderly villager. A gathering hosted by Kate and Charles includes the first me
Christy
Good read. I enjoy this series (I have read three so far), even though sometimes the authors' habit of inserting real historical figures gets a bit in the way of the story. But it is a fun, lighthearted look at the almost-turn-of-the-century in England, when so many new technological things were beginning to take place and the Victorians were still holding on to many old customs. The Alberts ("Robin Paige") do a lot of research to get the history right and the stories can be quite fascinating.

Th
Vickie
You know I love my cozies however I can get them. So long as they are well written, I don't care what they are about or what time they are set.

I especially like when I get to 'meet' people of history. Like this one where Charles Rolls and Henry Royce are side characters (and might be murder suspects).

The book is set in a time of change. Automobiles are making a showing and life rather miserable for the people who don't necessarily want change. All the people who own stables, feedstores, blacks
Donna
i ENJOYED THIS MYSTERY VERY MUCH. Unique look inside the upper crust of english society. As seen through the eyes of Kathryn Ardleigh and her husband Charles Sheriden. This mystery is the 4 entry in this very popular series. This mystery was obviously written with much fun by this husband and wife team.
Gloria
What I found most interesting about this book was the setting: a motor car exhibition in the late 1890s. This allows the authors to talk a lot about the early development of the motor car, including some fascinating details about the relative benefits and costs of steam, electric, and gasoline powered cars. Give that we're trying to wean ourselves off of oil today, it was neat to hear some of the reasoning behind choosing gasoline engines in the first place.

The mystery itself ends a bit oddly,
Sallee
This Victorian series by Robin Page is a pleasant read with each book building on the last. This book has Kate and Sir Charles married and living at Bishops Keep. This is the era of the fledgling motor car and the scion of Marsden Hall, thier neighbor, Bradford Marsden plans to have a "hare and hounds" race. Several car owners are in the race and young Rolls (of Rolls-Royce fame) has a balloon which they plan to launch and have the drives "chase" them. This all occurs at the same time of the tr ...more
Lori
Fascinating murder mystery about early transportation. The beginnings of car companies are talked about- learned about history of cars in this book. Cool.
Audrey
I enjoyed this installment in the Victorian Mystery series by Robin Paige. Actually I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would after I read in the description of the book that it revolved around the early development of the automobile.

It was very interesting I learned about the early experiments with steam and electricity to power automobile and how some political wrangling helped push the gas powered engines cars use today to the forefront.

These bits of history were included in a very good
Sue
Aug 10, 2014 Sue rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This is a great series. Love how they insert historical figures into the story.
3.5 of 5 stars
Kegel
I think that's the last one of the series for me. It wasn't bad - just as the 3 books before weren't bad, but they aren't keeping me interested enough either.

Character development of the main characters is very limited, mostly happening off-screen or even in-between-books. I didn't get to care for the characters.

The mysteries are okay, but not overly exciting either. The best thing about the series is the historical description, especially concerning techological and scientific developments.

A
Deb
Another good mystery from Robin Paige. Looking forward to the next book in this series.
Donna
Fourth book in the series. Charles and Kate have quietly married and are living at Kate's estate, Bishop's Keep. The year is 1896 and the plot revolves around the new invention of the automobile and also with the still very dangerous sport of ballooning. The historical information in these novels is one of the reasons I like them so much. I also enjoy the use of real-life people as characters in the story, most prominently in this one, Charles Rolls and Henry Royce.
Kate
I keep reading the next book in the hopes I'll get some character development satisfaction but I begin to think there will never be more depth. I suppose I've been spoiled lately by authors who manage to pack in character development, solid mysteries, and awesome history at the same time. These don't but I keep reading. This time: history of the automobile AND a balloon race AND musings on the tsunami of technology at the turn of the 19th century.
Lisa
A good entry in this series, one of the better books so far. It drags a bit through the descriptions of all things "motorcar" but the plot is interesting when it gets moving. Whoever scanned these books into e-format (I'm reading it on my nook) did a bad job--there are occasional pages missing and "rn" is often read as "m," resulting in "comer" for "corner" and "modem" for "modern," etc. These things should have been checked in all the books.
Michele
so far my favorite book in this series!
Janet
How fun to meet Mr. Royce and Mr. Rolls before they started Rolls-Royce. The characters’ horrified reactions to several “new fads” like a 12-mph speed limit, fingerprinting, and even an x-ray machine cracked me up. Oh, horrors, the car obtained an unheard of speed of 20 mph before it crashed! I know it’s all relative, but I couldn’t help imagining the characters' reactions to today's expressways and medical practices.
Cindee
Pretty good as period mysteries go. These are set in the late 1800's and this particular episode featured such historic figures as Charles Rolls and Henry Royce. During a highly touted car race, one of the drivers is killed when his vehicle spins out of control and hits a tree. But guess what? There was grease on one of the brakes.

Charles Sheridan and his wife Kate investigate...
Shay
My big complaint about historical novels is that they seem to spend a long time in the beginning providing the background information. So, they throw a bunch of information at you and the story suffers. This book doesn't do that, it gets right into the story and gradually (and interestingly) provides the information when needed in the story. It's also a first rate historical mystery.
Mary
Good! Interesting speck of history. I enjoyed how the relationship of Charles and Kate is moving along.
Anne
The development of and acceptance for scientific evidence in the courts is explored once again and in greater depth in this the 4th book in the series. But the details were tedious and intertwined with more detail about the development of the auto industry in England at the time. I found the the book boring.
Cameron
I hate to say I just didn't like this one as much as I did the previous 3 books. I don't know if the tory line just didn't speak to me in the same way as the others or if this really wasn't as good. I may try the 5th book just to see if this was a blip or if they are no longer working. Time will tell.
Randi
From Victorian Mystery Series. Kathryn Ardleigh, an American, moves to England and ends up solving crimes with Sir Charles Sheridan. Feminist for the time. Travels in upperclass circles but doesn't really fit because of her working class American background. Stories OK. More in the series.
Daniele
I have been enjoying this Victorian Mystery series thus far, but this one, book four, is my least favorite. May be the emphasis on early automobiles is not my thing or may be the relative absense of the main character, Kate. I like the series enough to keep reading, though.
Teddi
this book has a personal interest to me in that my great great grandfather went war with and later worked for Lord Llangatock, father of Charles Rolls who was featured herein!
I really like how the author uses real people and situations to augment the regular characters!
Craig
Again, the historical background is first rate and the mystery part is pretty good, but still little emphasis on character development. A few kinda ridiculous plot turns, but that doesn't detract too much from the whole.
  • Murder on Mulberry Bend (Gaslight Mystery, #5)
  • The Tale of Cuckoo Brow Wood (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #3)
  • Jane and the Ghosts of Netley (Jane Austen Mysteries, #7)
  • Berried Alive (Manor House Mysteries #6)
  • A Play of Dux Moraud (Joliffe the Player, #2)
  • Southampton Row (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #22)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
aka Bill and Susan Wittig Albert

The Robin Paige Victorian-Edwardian mystery series was written by Bill and Susan Albert from 1994-2006. There are a dozen books in the series (now completed), beginning in the mid 1890s and continuing through 1903.

The series features two sleuths: Kate Ardleigh Sheridan and Sir Charles Sheridan. Kate is an Irish-American woman who writes under the pseudonym of Bery
More about Robin Paige...

Kathryn Ardleigh (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Death at Bishop's Keep (Kathryn Ardleigh, #1)
  • Death at Gallows Green (Kathryn Ardleigh, #2)
  • Death at Daisy's Folly (Kathryn Ardleigh, #3)
  • Death at Rottingdean (Kathryn Ardleigh, #5)
  • Death at Whitechapel (Kathryn Ardleigh, #6)
  • Death at Epsom Downs (Kathryn Ardleigh, #7)
  • Death at Dartmoor (Kathryn Ardleigh, #8)
  • Death at Glamis Castle (Kathryn Ardleigh, #9)
  • Death in Hyde Park (Kathryn Ardleigh, #10)
  • Death at Blenheim Palace (Kathryn Ardleigh, #11)
Death at Bishop's Keep (Kathryn Ardleigh, #1) Death at Gallows Green (Kathryn Ardleigh, #2) Death at Daisy's Folly (Kathryn Ardleigh, #3) Death at Whitechapel (Kathryn Ardleigh, #6) Death at Rottingdean (Kathryn Ardleigh, #5)