Start by marking “Death at Daisy's Folly (Kathryn Ardleigh, #3)” as Want to Read:
Death at Daisy's Folly (Kathryn Ardleigh, #3)

Death at Daisy's Folly (Kathryn Ardleigh #3)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  874 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Sir Charles Sheridan is many things - an amateur scientist, a renowned photographer, and a skilled detective. And due to Victorian customs, he will soon become a baron - rendering him unable to marry Kate Ardleigh, an American writer of the popular, yet frowned upon "penny-dreadfuls." Even as the customs of the time keep them apart, a good murder case always seems to bring ...more
Published February 1st 1997 by Berkley Prime Crime

To ask other readers questions about Death at Daisy's Folly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death at Daisy's Folly

The Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoFlowers for Algernon by Daniel KeyesThe Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska OrczyDaisy Miller by Henry JamesRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard
Flowers in Title, Not on Cover
120th out of 153 books — 45 voters
Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha ChristieThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyCrocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters4 by Agatha ChristieThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
Women who Solve Crimes
257th out of 428 books — 111 voters

More lists with this book...

Vickie
Gently, historical cozies are fab for me. I love cozies of all types since I tend to learn or yearn from each one. I learn something new and I tend to yearn to learn whatever skill that is the premise of each. I do learn from this series and I am fairly certain I do not yearn for Victorian times...poor or rich with no real in-between really. Feelings had to be couched in vague phrasing, bleah...
But one of the reasons that I enjoy this series is that the main character, Kate Ardleigh, bucks the s
Susan
Death at Daisy’s Folly by Robin Paige is the third book of the Victorian Mystery series set in England. Kate Ardleigh is an American woman who moved to England to work as her aunt’s secretary, then later inherited her aunt’s English estate. Her American ways set her off a bit from the English high society in which she now finds herself. She has found a close friend in Sir Charles Sheridan, an English high-society gentleman interested in photography and forensic science. They have worked together ...more
P.d.r. Lindsay
If I switch off my critical faculties then I will agree that this is a pleasant read, a fun read even. It is a hist-myst set in the UK during the last years of Queen Victoria. It deals with real people and is about a nasty episode of murders which occurs during the Prince of Wales's visit to his mistress's country home.

As it is written by Americans we have the obligatory sprightly American heroine who is not a real lady - that helps the writers get around any errors about class structure. We als
Michelle
This is the third book in the Victorian Mystery series. Kate, an American who has inherited her aunt's estate and Sir Charles Sheridan have been invited to the Earl and Countess of Warwick's estate for a country retreat. The esteemed guest of the party is the Prince of Wales, who has the Countess (Daisy) as his mistress. The book opens with the death of a stable boy, initially thought of as an accident. There is another death as the book progresses. We get to see a fascinating take on how the up ...more
Steven
This is another enjoyable mystery novel -- the third in the Victorian Mystery Series -- from the husband-and-wife team who writes under the pseudonym "Robin Paige." In this installment, the two main characters, Kate and Sir Charles, are guests of a weekend party at the home of Daisy Brook, Lady Warwick. There is a murder on the first day -- the groom to the Prince of Wales is found dead in the stables. At first, the guests believe he was kicked by a horse, but Sir Charles believes it was murder. ...more
Michael Holle
This was a good read, but not nearly as good as the first book in the series. I'll divide this into the "didn't enjoy" and the "enjoyed".
Didn't enjoy: the author spent considerable time on the intimate intrigues between the various couples. I really didn't see a need for this. I was after a good "who done it" and not the extramarital affairs of 19th century English nobility. The ending was a bit of a let down.
Enjoyed: the historical development was awesome. Midway through the book I decided to "
Lisa
This third book in Robin Paige's Victorian mystery series is good as a representative of the genre of light, cozy mystery reading. It is not as well done as the second book (Death at Gallows Green), in which Beatrix Potter makes an appearance. At Daisy's Folly, the "guest stars" are Daisy (Frances), Countess of Warwick, a woman who meant well but had poor financial and other judgment, and her famous lover, Bertie, the Prince of Wales (Queen Victoria's son of many and varied and questionable appe ...more
Barbara
Really liked this book. Mix of fiction with real historical characters involved - in this case Bertie, the Prince of Wales, Queen Victoria's son and his current lover, Frances Brooke, Countess of Warwick. It was almost funny to find the hero starting to use forensic techniques that we take for granted today - ballistic, finger prints, etc. The heroine is a plucky young American of Irish decent. She and Charles Sheridan, the hero, have apparently banded together in earlier books to solve crimes. ...more
Jemma Gutierrez
I feel like our heroine, the heroine that has hooked me in the beginning is starting to lose her own voice. Slowly fading is the free spirited, outspoken woman i have become fond of and taking place is another less opinionated and rather meek heroine.
I guess what I am trying to say is WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!?
Donna Zigmont
I really enjoyed this book.I'm reading the series out of order unfortunately.But I love the two main characters Kate Ardleigh and Charles Sheridan.The stories are written very well.The descriptions of the scenes make you feel asif you're there in the book.I look forward to reading the entire series.
Gerry
The Prince of Wales is enjoying himself at a country house weekend, that is until a stableboy is brutally murdered. And this is followed by one of the guests meeting his end.

Not wanting the police involved, in case of any scandal for himself, the Prince appoints one of the guests, Sir Charles Sheridan, to solve the case. Sir Charles has with him his friend, and close lady friend, Kate Ardleigh, who he wishes to marry but who he does not know is a writer of popular fiction. Kate feels that should
Gloria
This mystery series has not been "knock my socks off" good, but it has been enjoyable. Each book is short, but not too short (270-290 pages). If they were any shorter, the mysteries would feel rushed. If they were any longer, they would lose their light feel by dwelling too much on the mystery or characterization. I am especially pleased at the way the relationship between the two protagonists, Kate and Charles, has developed. Both characters are described as independent and intelligent. Given t ...more
Audrey
This was a pretty good mystery and a nice addition to this series by Robin Paige. I enjoyed reading and learning more about the Prince of Wales "Bertie" and also about Countess Daisy Warwick, one of his many mistresses.

Once again this book give a very interesting glimpse into the lives of both the upper class and the serving class during the Victorian period in England.

My only problem with the book is that the murder mystery itself didn't really hold my interest all that much and I found some o
Text Addict
A pleasant historical mystery series continues, this one featuring prominent historical figures (the duke and duchess of Warwick and the Prince, perhaps amongst others). Murder at a big high-society weekend house party - what could be more routine for a British mystery? It's the characters and the progress of the investigation, and the fiddling details of the plot, that make such things fun to read.

And (view spoiler)
Deb
A week-end house party, Prince Bertie attending and THREE murders. A slow start, but it picked up rapidly. Another enjoyable read from the husband and wife writing team of Robin Paige. Look forward to the next book in the series.
Sallee
This book in the Victorian series is moving the relationship of Sir Charles and Kate Ardleigh along as they both come to realize each others strengths in spite of what the rules of the society say is proper or not. In this story, Prince Albert figures prominently as the story take place at his mistress' estate of Easton. When the young groom for his Highness' hunter is found dead this starts the investigation. Sir Charles is ordered by the Prince to get to the bottom of this and when another dea ...more
Michele
I liked this installment of the series a little bit more than the last book, and the last book was better than the first! Victorian England never ceases to amuse with it's flip flop super rigid morality on the outside but crazy uninhibited bed hopping among the "social" set. Add in a poor, single American woman who cares nothing for British social structure, the occasional murder and you have a great recipe for an enjoyable read.
Ayelet
Cute book - gives you some insight into Victorian high society & early forensic methods. I only have 4 books out of the 12 book series so I'm probably missing some of the inside jokes.
Debra S
Very well written. Enjoyed the historical setting and events. Also good mystery writing.
Sue
Aug 05, 2014 Sue rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This was a quick fun read. Good period piece. Kate and Sir Charles make a great team.
3.5 of 5 stars
Alexandra
Third in the series, nice to see the continuing story arcs instead of just being rehashing the same plot over and over. I really do like this series and the characters are really well done overall. Parts of it were a little repetitive (Of course the women were more afraid of scandal than the men! Going against social norms would obviously affect them more.) and it was a little judgmental given the historical players they chose to insert in the story. Still liked it and would recommend it for peo ...more
Kate
This time Kate & Charles are stuck with the Marlborough set and aren't enjoying themselves much. The romance is okay (but finishes up a bit early) and I suspect the true history would be more interesting than that portrayed here. Mystery meh. I think the fact that these are written by two people leads to their lack of character development and general choppiness. Still trying to love them, but I don't know if I can care about these characters much longer.
Lori McD
Finding this series very charming, especially since each mystery involves real people from the time period!

I especially like this book, because the relationship between Kate and Sir Charles comes to a head...

The mystery has a bit of a twist, but mostly, it's not about "whodunnit", it's about the journey to get there. And unlike Sherlock Holmes stories, the science is explained concisely and in layman's terms.

Good show - good read!
Teddi
It took quite a while for this book to really get going. It got quite bogged down in the semantics of the house party and the people involved until at least half way through.
The authors do work in real life people & events in a thorough manner.
I'm also glad that the relationship of Kate & Charles isn't bogging down the story with sex scenes and such. I'll see how this progresses in the next books.
Enjoyable continuation of the series. Charles Sheridan and Kate Ardleigh investigate murder at an English house party wihich includes the Prince of Wales. Someone appears to be framing the POW's mistress for murder - who is really behind it though and why? In addition to the investigation, we get more character development/background for Charles as well as servants Amelia and Lawrence.
Kailey
I like this series. They're easy, quick reads that keep you interested. Not great literature, but entertaining. I like when true historical characters and facts are mixed in with our fictional characters. The writing is a little bland at times, but the dialogue is good, and the characters are complex and varied. The plot moves forward at a good pace too.
Lindsey Bray
I really enjoyed reading while Charles and Kate finally confessed their love.
Lisa
I enjoy the two main characters, Kate and Charles. They are forward-thinking for the the time they live in and are ready to change the way the world thinks. I love the banter between them and feel that they are one of the best detective teams there are in mysteries. I look forward to reading the next installment of the series.
Derek
Not bad, but not stunningly great, either. I was pleased with the general concept, though. You can be sure, I had a difficult time setting the book down. Interested in exploring other books in the series. I'd have to nicest thing was that one did not have to have read the previous installments in order to understand the story.
  • Murder on Washington Square (Gaslight Mystery, #4)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11)
  • The Tale of Cuckoo Brow Wood (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #3)
  • The Cocoa Conspiracy (A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery, #2)
  • Southampton Row (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #22)
  • The Squire's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #10)
aka Bill and Susan Wittig Albert

The Robin Paige Victorian-Edwardian mystery series was written by Bill and Susan Albert from 1994-2006. There are a dozen books in the series (now completed), beginning in the mid 1890s and continuing through 1903.

The series features two sleuths: Kate Ardleigh Sheridan and Sir Charles Sheridan. Kate is an Irish-American woman who writes under the pseudonym of Bery
More about Robin Paige...

Kathryn Ardleigh (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Death at Bishop's Keep (Kathryn Ardleigh, #1)
  • Death at Gallows Green (Kathryn Ardleigh, #2)
  • Death at Devil's Bridge (Kathryn Ardleigh, #4)
  • Death at Rottingdean (Kathryn Ardleigh, #5)
  • Death at Whitechapel (Kathryn Ardleigh, #6)
  • Death at Epsom Downs (Kathryn Ardleigh, #7)
  • Death at Dartmoor (Kathryn Ardleigh, #8)
  • Death at Glamis Castle (Kathryn Ardleigh, #9)
  • Death in Hyde Park (Kathryn Ardleigh, #10)
  • Death at Blenheim Palace (Kathryn Ardleigh, #11)
Death at Bishop's Keep (Kathryn Ardleigh, #1) Death at Gallows Green (Kathryn Ardleigh, #2) Death at Devil's Bridge (Kathryn Ardleigh, #4) Death at Whitechapel (Kathryn Ardleigh, #6) Death at Rottingdean (Kathryn Ardleigh, #5)