Start by marking “I Was Just Wondering” as Want to Read:
I Was Just Wondering

I Was Just Wondering

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Best-selling author Philip Yancey here gathers forty-four of his most insightful and stimulating columns written for Christianity Today. Exploring a diverse range of topics that touch on the fields of history, science, religion, ethics, and more, Yancey offers readers short, penetrating observations on the universe, the earth, the church, and the Christian life. Originally ...more
Published June 16th 1998 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company (first published July 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about I Was Just Wondering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Was Just Wondering

Tim Chavel
Philip Yancey more than any other author makes me think and challenges me with his words. This book presents a structured adaptation of some of Yancey's best columns from the magazine, Christianity Today, for which he writes. These forty-five essays were taken over a five year period. As you will see from the quotes below it is a book worth the read.

“God’s voice thunders in marvelous ways,” said Elihu to Job. ~Job 37:5 (NIV)

We should feel dissonance; we are, after all, immortals trapped in morta
Jan 04, 2012 Chris added it
Shelves: other
This was the first book for a new Bible study group with a few friends. And well it doesn't really lend itself as a helper for Bible study, it's good for current times. A lot of short stories examining situations and personal observances between these times and those of the Bible. It raises a lot of questions and comparisons which people can relate to today. It's written by a Christian author but I would not consider it a particularly Christian book. That is to say, there is analysis of facts an ...more
Susetyo Priyojati
Lots of interesting questions, not as much answers and after all the book's not meant to explain things neatly. This jumble of personal musings is a great way to get to know Philip Yancey one layer down his usual books, which are also inquisitive yet focused on separate topics.
The chapters are originally written as separate articles, so be prepared to jump from one topic to another, to see some repetition of ideas and terms, and to feel that the topics are not discussed in full depth. This book
MariAn Nyce
Liked it, but towards the end felt a tad weary of his 'wondering' - too long on that style of writing-shorter would have kept my interest, just sayin'.
This is a deeply interesting book that seeks to present some views to questions like why do so few Christians exhibit joy? What is a Christian product? Why didn’t God answer Job’s questions? The book does not so much attempt to provide definitive answers, but rather contains short pieces/mini essays that present a point of view of these and other broad topics. Presented in a simple digestible style, this is a book that one can came back to again and gain something different based on our changing ...more
This is a series of articles Philip Yancey wrote, to answer some interesting questions about the Christian life. Where did ractial hatred come from? What's the value of fiction? Do gorillas have mid-life crisis?

It's not the most in-depth or moving of his books; each chapter is just three or four pages long, looking at one particular question in the style of an article. But there are some good anecdotes, some thought-provoking comments, and the usual excellent writing style I've come to expect f
Outstanding, per usual. "Born Again Mathematics" is a stand-out.
In a collection of short essays, Yancey writes out his thoughts in an insightful, yet conversational manner. The most classic of these is his thoughts on 'The Universe and My Aquarium' where he gives a great analogy of a loving God caring for a fearful and mistrusting people through his own experience taking care of his aquarium fish. Some essays will mean more than others to each individual reader, but the book is worth reading as a whole.
the book is a compilation of his columns. He proposes Christian thoughts on various issues such as creationism, angels, life after death, forgiveness, etc.

Sometimes it's frustrating because he ends up asking MORE questions than he starts out with leaving me more confused... but thirsty to know more.

Since each column is only 3-4 pages long, it's an easy read and easy to read portions of the book without feeling lost.
Ashley Ainley
Fabulous. A great read if you are looking to feel challenged. He provides a critical eye and a positive view on things that normally pass us by on a day-to-day basis. Worth reading, for sure. It is broken up by topic in short chapters, so even if you don't feel like reading it cover to cover, you can just check out a section.
Jan 05, 2015 Liz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to know a bit more about the way (some) Christians think
Shelves: 2009, religion
Really amazing collection of columns by Philip Yancey. I was looking for a few answers, and this gave me a few, and a whole heap more questions to think on besides. Yancey has a way with words and ideas. To be fair, he did state that in the introduction.

4 and a half stars.
I am not one for devotionals, but this is more like a collection of magazine column (or blog) entries. I didn't expect to like it much, and while some of his opinions I disagreed with and some sections I found less interesting than others, his insights and writing are inspiring.

A very interesting book. Definitely designed for people that like to think and challenge the world around them (and even Christianity). Therefore its not for everyone. I would be curious what non-Christians think of Yancey's efforts.
Dec 09, 2007 Anna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who believes in Jeuss, but still has a lot of questions.
This was a really easy book to read. Mr. Yancey just notices a lot of things about our world that just don't make sense unless there is truly a magnificent being up there doting on us.
Great supplementary devotional-like reading. Each chapter is only the length of a newspaper column, just a few papers long.
Kevin Heldt
Really good. I think his strengths are more in these short episodic writings. Some very insightful chapters.
Keith Bell
A collection of Yancey's various columns. Great for thought and discussion but not a complete book in itself.
Excellent. Made me cry twice. Once in an airport surrounded by people. Love Philip.
mirela Darau
i want to read it again soon.
very interesting questions and points of view.
An encouraging collection of observations on christian living.
Aug 06, 2011 Mya added it
Well written, easy to read, humorous and made me think.
So thought provoking! Loved it!
Jill marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Christophe Landa
Christophe Landa is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2015
  • Christ and Culture Revisited
  • Loving God
  • Next Door Savior: Near Enough to Touch, Strong Enough to Trust
  • How to Give Away Your Faith
  • Surprised by Suffering: The Role of Pain and Death in The Christian Life
  • The Jesus Style
  • Inside the Mind of Unchurched Harry and Mary: How to Reach Friends and Family Who Avoid God and the Church
  • The Holy Wild: Trusting in the Character of God
  • Head and Heart: American Christianities
  • Jesus with Dirty Feet: A Down-To-Earth Look at Christianity for the Curious Skeptical
  • Simple Faith
  • A Step Further: growing closer to God through hurt and hardship
  • Saving the Appearances: A Study in Idolatry
  • Unspoken Sermons: Series I, II, III
  • The Gospel According to Starbucks: Living with a Grande Passion
  • Dangerous Duty of Delight: The Glorified God and the Satisfied Soul (LifeChange Books)
  • The Practice of Godliness
  • The Complete Works of Francis A. Schaeffer: A Christian Worldview (5 Volume Set)
A native of Atlanta, Georgia, Philip Yancey earned graduate degrees in Communications and English from Wheaton College Graduate School and the University of Chicago. He joined the staff of Campus Life Magazine in 1971, and worked there as Editor and then Publisher. He looks on those years with gratitude, because teenagers are demanding readers, and writing for them taught him a lasting principle: ...more
More about Philip Yancey...