Start by marking “The Body in the Bouillon (Faith Fairchild, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Body in the Bouillon (Faith Fairchild, #3)

The Body in the Bouillon (Faith Fairchild #3)

Murder Served Piping Hot Minister's wife, sometime sleuth, and culinary artist Faith Sibley Fairchild is intrigued by rumors of mysterious doings at Hubbard House -- an elegant, secluded retirement home for the well-heeled Yankees of Aleford, Massachusetts. Determined to do some surreptitious snooping, she joins the pricey retreat's flu-depleted kitchen staff, only to witn ...more
Published September 4th 2001 by Avon (first published November 15th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Body in the Bouillon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Body in the Bouillon

Jonathan
Another good book in a series I will continue reading. Previously, Faith has always been quite a snob, however, she isn't in this book, which makes a nice change. The only 'problem' with the book was I guessed parts of the mystery beforehand, yet the mystery was still complex and I didn't guess it all. Recommend.
Nikki
Mar 21, 2009 Nikki rated it really liked it
With this book, I've read the first five of Page's Faith Fairchild series. In the Body in the Bouillon Faith is asked by her Aunt Chat to check on an assisted-living residence in a neighboring town, where Chat's friend Howard was living until his recent death. He had mentioned some suspicions in a letter.
When Faith shows up to visit a parishioner and do a little snooping, she is dragooned into volunteering in the kitchen. She meets a number of interesting characters but isn't quite sure what, if
Abigail
Oct 26, 2009 Abigail rated it really liked it
I'm very happy to have discovered another good mystery series. Entertaining but not overwhelming. As my mother would call it, mindless. You read and enjoy but don't get worked up or too absorbed. Perfect for when you can only read a little bit every so often! Looking forward to reading more from this series.
Carmen
Jun 27, 2016 Carmen rated it liked it
My favorite character is Police Chief Coffin. I wish he had a larger part in the story, since he made me laugh out loud. He reminds me of young Mr. Grace in Are You Being Served but with less awareness.
Kathy Davie
Feb 04, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, homey
The third in the Faith Fairchild amateur sleuth mystery series finds Faith receiving yet another black mark.

My Take
Page has a truly homey touch in how she writes her settings and her characters. With just enough of a hint as to future scenarios that make me want to keep coming back to visit with Faith.

I do love how patient and understanding Tom is, stepping in to pick up the slack.

The Story
A close friend of her Aunt Chat's has moved into a local retirement home only to die shortly after sending
Pam
Dec 27, 2011 Pam rated it really liked it
Page, Katherine Hall -- The Body in the Bouillon -- 4/B -- 12/22/11
Mystery/St. Martin's/1991/227 LP
#3 Faith Fairchild
1990's/Aleford, Mass.
Characters: Faith Fairchild/minister's wife, mother to Ben, caterer
amateur sleuth
1st Lines: "I'm not goint to tell you anything unless you do exactlyas I say & do not get involved any further than is necessary for my peace of mind. I want you to promise, Faith."
Comments: Faith's Aunt Chat lives in NJ but had a friend who lived in a retirment home -- Hubbar
Margaret
Aug 14, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2005
This book unfairly leaped over others in my TBR because it had a Christmasy theme and I wanted something light yet seasonal during Christmas week. I've read some in this series before (The Body in the Belfry & The Body in the Kelp & (I think) The Body in the Bog) so I was familiar with Faith and her family. She is sometimes a snobby character with her designer clothes & she often seems to judge people by what they wear - not a good quality in a minister's wife! I also feel like she d ...more
Ellen Moore
May 17, 2016 Ellen Moore rated it really liked it
The third book in this series is an interesting mystery. Faith's aunt Chat has asked her to find out what improper things are going on at Hubbard House because a resident/friend of hers had written her a letter expressing his concerns and promising to discuss them with her but unfortunately had died before they could meet. Faith had talked with several long-time residents of the community and then visited the facility. When she arrived there, she was mistaken as a volunteer for the Pink Lady Pro ...more
Cynthia
Jan 09, 2016 Cynthia rated it liked it
I am enjoying this series - the heroine is likeable, the settings are well drawn and interesting, and the mystery is intriguing. Working my way through it and really appreciate Goodreads making that so easy. The library catalog does not always include what number in a series a particular book is, making it necessary to find the publication date and even that can be tricky if it is a different edition. If you like your mysteries and suspense without hideous gore and you enjoy reading about differ ...more
Lois
Jan 24, 2016 Lois rated it really liked it
Audiobook.

Rich New Yorker caterer Faith deals with life as a small New England mister's wife in such a nice way, sorting out occasional deaths as she goes. The dichotomy of her life before and her willingness to be a minister's wife is lovely. Her son is a little older, her husband is such a nice guy--plagued in this volume with a guy he can't stand--and the cast of characters remains quirky. Nicely plotted. Happily, there are many more books to go in this series.
Gail
Apr 06, 2015 Gail rated it it was amazing
Another cozy mystery by Katherine Hall Page. The Body in the Bouillon starts out slowly but builds quickly as several bodies show up. There is never Gore in these novels. They are just an interesting. relaxing fun read during which several murders occur. I recommend this series to anyone who loves a great but cozy mystery.
Jan
Dec 26, 2011 Jan rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, series
I almost did not finish the book as Faith's portrayal of the atypical minister's wife seemed too forced. She grew on me more as one of the lower upper middle class and as an displaced New Yorker. The mystery was okay but the conclusion I do not think was that well supported by previous clues. I hope someone can point out to me what I missed.
Debbie
Jan 23, 2015 Debbie rated it really liked it
I bought this in the "cozy mysteries" section of the Book Barn in CT along with several others and so far this one is my favorite. The amateur detective is a minister's wife and has a catering business in Massachusetts so you get mystery, food, religion, and a bit of humor. The addition of a cat would have made the book even better, but you can't have everything.
Carol
Jul 05, 2009 Carol rated it liked it
Faith is a minister's wife and a chef. She takes a job in a care facility to fill in for the staff who have the flu. The bodies start piling up and she becomes embroiled in a huge mystery of who done and why. Fun light read for summer.
Sandra Knapp
Jun 13, 2009 Sandra Knapp rated it really liked it
These are "fun" mysteries. The main character seems to trip over bodies, and then become involved in solving the crime. It's light mystery reading, but very pleasant and I find them interesting and fun.
Colleen
May 08, 2010 Colleen rated it it was amazing
I am really enjoying this series. I like the main character a lot and enjoy her sense of humor. I look forward to reading more from the series.
Audrey Breaux
May 13, 2016 Audrey Breaux rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy
very enjoyable.
Deborah
May 02, 2013 Deborah rated it liked it
I always enjoy this series when I need something light, easy reading and fun to rest my brain and body.
Pat
May 15, 2011 Pat added it
Faith Fairchild
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
A fast and funny cozy mystery. Faith Fairchild is a great character.
Eileen
Aug 25, 2010 Eileen rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book a lot. Another great read by a great author.

When she talks about her little Ben it reminds me of Peter (my precious
little grandson).
May
Jun 13, 2011 May added it
Shelves: mysteries
This is an adorable little mystery and a quick read. There are an adequate amount of twists and turns that make it not straight forward, allowing the ending to still be a surprise.
Emily
Feb 01, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing
love this new author. Faith has 2 children, is well educated and gutsy
Kathie
Mar 17, 2014 Kathie rated it really liked it
Too many characters for me to keep track of but liked it anyway.
LeeAnn
Jun 21, 2015 LeeAnn rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A good cozy, part of a series I will definitely dip back into now and again.
Jane
Jul 02, 2010 Jane rated it really liked it
portions are predictable, but still a fun; light read.
MJ
May 08, 2012 MJ rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-american
See "Body in the Belfry"
BeParticular
Another amusing entry in the series. I would love to see some of these loony characters brought to life in a movie version. These are quick, fun reads.
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2012
Bobbi Mumm
Bobbi Mumm rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2011
  • Sour Grapes (Savannah Reid, #6)
  • A Stillness in Bethlehem (Gregor Demarkian, #7)
  • Death in a Beach Chair (Susan Henshaw, #15)
  • The Secret Ingredient Murders (Eugenia Potter, #6)
  • A Dilly of a Death (China Bayles, #12)
  • The Secret Files of Sherlock Holmes
  • Thou Shalt Not Grill (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #12)
  • The Nantucket Diet Murders (Eugenia Potter, #3)
  • Dim Sum Dead (Madeline Bean, #4)
  • Top O' the Mournin' (Passport to Peril, #2)
  • English Country House Murders:  Classic Crime Fiction of Britain's Upper Crust
  • Dead Man Running (Torie O'Shea, #9)
Katherine Hall Page is the author of fifteen previous Faith Fairchild mysteries, the first of which received the Agatha Award for best first mystery and the most recent of which, The Body in the Snowdrift, was honored with the Agatha Award for best novel. Page also won an Agatha for her short story "The Would-Be Widower." She lives in Massachusetts with her husband and son. (from the publisher's w ...more
More about Katherine Hall Page...

Faith Fairchild (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Body in the Belfry (Faith Fairchild, #1)
  • The Body in the Kelp (Faith Fairchild, #2)
  • The Body in the Vestibule (Faith Fairchild, #4)
  • The Body in the Cast (Faith Fairchild, #5)
  • The Body in the Basement (Faith Fairchild, #6)
  • The Body in the Bog (Faith Fairchild, #7)
  • The Body in the Fjord (Faith Fairchild, #8)
  • The Body in the Bookcase (Faith Fairchild, #9)
  • The Body in the Big Apple (Faith Fairchild, #10)
  • The Body in the Moonlight (Faith Fairchild, #11)