Start by marking “A Comedy of Heirs (Torie O'Shea, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Comedy of Heirs (Torie O'Shea, #3)

A Comedy of Heirs (Torie O'Shea #3)

Genealogist Torie O'Shea Finds That Her Own Family Tree Is Rooted In Murder. . .

The December annual O'Shea family reunion is just kicking off when genealogist and town historian Torie O'Shea discovers a bad apple in her family tree. Someone has sent her several newspaper clippings reporting a fifty-year-old unsolved murder. The dead man is her great-grandfather-shot on his
Published August 15th 2000 by Minotaur Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Comedy of Heirs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Comedy of Heirs

Kay
Aug 18, 2011 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another fun mystery in the Torie series. Finding out that her great grandfather was murdered she jumps right in to solve the murder. It turns into a genealogist's horror story when she is given information that her great grandfather isn't really who she thinks but rather the 'lover' of her great grandmother. That is probably the biggest worry of any family historian, because you could actually be 'barking up the wrong tree' so to speak. I know every generation feels like they invented sex but th ...more
Patty
Feb 01, 2010 Patty rated it really liked it
Torie (short for Victory) O'Shea and her madcap family are front and center again. This years family reunion on her father's side is scheduled for Torie's house and hometown.

As usual, Torie gets deeply involved in genealogy, this time her own father's family. She thought she knew everything but someone sends her some newspaper clippings about her great-grandfather. She had been told he died of a hunting accident, but these articles make it clear that he died on his own front porch - was it murd
Lesley Looper
Jan 07, 2009 Lesley Looper rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, genealogy, 2009
I love the idea of combining mysteries (which I love to read) with genealogy (one of my favorite hobbies), so I checked this book out of the library with high hopes. This book was even set during a week-long family reunion!

While I enjoyed some aspects of this story, like some of the family interactions, other parts weren't as enjoyable as I remember the other two Torie O'Shea books I've read were. This time around, I found Torie O'Shea, the protagonist and amateur genealogist/sleuth, to be a bi
Kristen
Apr 17, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: serial-cozy
In the third installment of the Torie O'Shea Genealogical Cozy Mystery series, A Comedy of Heirs, Torie O'Shea returned to find herself in the heart of another mystery. At the December family reunion, she discovered there was a bad apple in her own family tree. Someone sent her news clipping of a 50-year-old murder of a dead man, which was her own great-grandfather. Everyone believed it was a hunting accident, while Torie discovered it might be murder. With a house full of guests and this bombsh ...more
Harry Lane
Jan 29, 2016 Harry Lane rated it liked it
Cleverly concocted little cosy. Central character is a history buff and genealogist who receives an anonymous package showing that the family story about the death of her great-grandfather is untrue. She gets this information just in advance of a major get together of her extended family, most of whom seem to be slightly off kilter. Her prodding of the older members of the family, along with some historical research and connecting of relationship dots eventually leads to a resolution that is a b ...more
Leslie
Dec 02, 2008 Leslie rated it really liked it
Another fun outing in the Tori O'Shea mystery series. It's probably not a **** book, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. In this one, she hosts a week-long family reunion, during which she tries to coerce the family members to tell her how her great-grandfather died. They all say a hunting accident (in August?!), but the newspapers said that he was murdered on the front porch. And why did Great-Grandma sit in the living room with a shotgun and not allow anyone to go out and tend to him? Fun doings!
Cheryl
Mar 23, 2016 Cheryl rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I enjoyed the mystery aspect of the story very much and found the characters interesting. I can't say that I bonded with them, but there was enough of a compelling connection that I was willing to keep reading and finish early rather than saving it for my next train ride. I wouldn't call it a "comedy" per se, this investigation of the protagonist's family story. In fact, it was full of a lot of sordid details and all of the rough and tumble shenanigans that are common in a family.
Barbara
Nov 28, 2008 Barbara rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction-mystery
Rachel
Jul 18, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Torie O'Shea is hosting a large family reunion of her fathers relatives when she discovers her great grandfather was murdered instead of dying in a hunting accident as she has always been told. Torie decides to find the murderer in this unsolved case while dealing with her family and the fact that she is unexpectedly pregnant for the third time. It was a bit difficult to keep track of all of the characters but I found this to be a good cozy mystery.
Diane Heath
Oct 09, 2013 Diane Heath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This time around Tori is hosting the Keith family reunion. As her relatives begin to arrive she is sent a mysterious envelope with old newspaper clippings about the death (Murder) of her great-grandfather. Torie has to discover who knew about this death and why the family lore had ist reported as a hunting accident. A Fifty year old cold case, 50 relatives wandering throughout her house. And guess who is the 5th pregnant woman at this year's reunion?
Rebekah
Jan 26, 2009 Rebekah rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Definitely a "cozy" mystery. I read this to see how good a genealogical mystery could be. It turns out, even mysteries about genealogy can't escape some of the boredom associated with the actual research. Nice effort though. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't something that sticks in your mind afterward either.
Kristin
Apr 04, 2015 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Once again, this series did not disappoint me. This particular mystery had a lot of layers, red herrings, and suspects, which I liked. My only beef is- how do you write a novel set during a family's Christmas reunion but end the book before Christmas Eve or Day? Anyhow, I look forward to reading more of Torie's adventures.
Susan
Aug 06, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Fast-paced, humorous mystery featuring a large, somewhat wacky family from the point of view of one of the middle "generations" who claims that she is just plain nosy. In seeking more information to fill in the family tree she uncovers a mysterious death among her ancestors.
Lucy Janowiecki
Jul 06, 2011 Lucy Janowiecki rated it really liked it
I jumped into the middle of a series, but it didn't seem to matter. This book added some humor into a cold case mystery. It was a fast and interesting read. I can't wait to read more, and since it was published 12 years ago, I think I will get my wish. :)
Carolyn Tassie
Jul 11, 2012 Carolyn Tassie rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read in the Torie O'Shea series. I'm going to start at the beginning are read them all! Loved all the characters (even if I didn't like them, the page-turning story and theoutcome! Fun read!
Rosalyn Eves
Jan 29, 2008 Rosalyn Eves rated it really liked it
I just recently discovered Rett Macpherson's mysteries and I've read the whole series in about a month--I've really enjoyed the combination of light-hearted mysteries with the geneology element. Torie is a particularly enjoyable heroine--spunky, nosy, and generally entertaining.
Mary
Sep 30, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Another winner by Ms. MacPherson. Interesting characters, a complex mystery and a bit of humor kept me turning the pages. Torie's eclectic family had me smiling and more than once I saw my own family members in the book's characters. Looking forward to the next book in the series. Recommended.
Lynn Lipinski
An easy read, but the characters seemed more like caricatures than fully drawn people. Interesting use of genealogy studies.
Karen
Jan 19, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
A fast diverting read for those interested in a little genealogy with their mysteries.
Jeanne
Jun 04, 2008 Jeanne rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club
This book was chosen for Book Club by Amy S. in January 2005. It was a dud.
Michelle Dancer
Jul 26, 2009 Michelle Dancer rated it liked it
Not a bad book..Not a book I would rush out or stand in line to read, however, interesting read!
Ellen
Torie #3
Debbie
Jan 20, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Torie takes a week off for her family reunion, and finds mystery in her past
Diane Krogstie
Nov 02, 2016 Diane Krogstie rated it it was amazing
Got me hooked on Tori!
Peg
Jan 07, 2012 Peg rated it really liked it
I'm really starting to like this author's voice, as well as the characters and the little town they come from. A quick, fun read.
Loretta
june 16, 2012 ( at least 2nd reading
Laurie Andres
Aug 25, 2013 Laurie Andres rated it liked it
Meh. Relaxing to read, but a little simple. Too many typos; it bothered me.
Cris
Oct 09, 2013 Cris rated it really liked it
Best book in the series so far!
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy
Torie O'Shea is a genealogist and town historian and is called upon to solve all sorts of murder mysteries. This is number three in a nice cozy mystery.
Marta
Jan 05, 2008 Marta rated it really liked it
Okay, so I'm a light mystery series junkie! I also like geneaology. This series combines those two things with some humor. Really good for a fun read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Death on the Family Tree (Family Tree, #1)
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
  • Backstab (Francesca Vierling Mystery, #1)
  • The Lemon Jelly Cake
  • Bad Medicine
  • A Rumpole Christmas
  • Uneasy Relations (Gideon Oliver, #15)
  • Sis Boom Bah
  • An Angel to Die For (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • The Alpine Traitor (Emma Lord, #20)
  • Maiden Rock (Claire Watkins, #6)
  • The Body in the Bouillon (Faith Fairchild, #3)
  • Plagued By Quilt (A Haunted Yarn Shop Mystery, #4)
  • A Vile Justice (Lieutenant Bak, #3)
  • Border Crossing
Rett MacPherson was born in Saint Louis, Missouri. She is the author of the popular Torie O'Shea mysteries and helped to pioneer the sub-genre of genealogical mysteries. She is also a bead and fabric artist and loves wineries, cemeteries, genealogy, history and of course, books.
More about Rett MacPherson...

Torie O'Shea (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1)
  • A Veiled Antiquity (Torie O'Shea, #2)
  • A Misty Mourning (Torie O'Shea, #4)
  • Killing Cousins (Torie O'Shea, #5)
  • Blood Relations (Torie O'Shea, #6)
  • In Sheep's Clothing (Torie O'Shea, #7)
  • Thicker Than Water (Torie O'Shea, #8)
  • Dead Man Running (Torie O'Shea, #9)
  • Died in the Wool (Torie O'Shea, #10)
  • The Blood Ballad (Torie O'Shea, #11)