A Comedy of Heirs (Torie O'Shea, #3)

A Comedy of Heirs (Torie O'Shea #3)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Genealogist Torie O'Shea Finds That Her Own Family Tree Is Rooted In Murder. . .

The December annual O'Shea family reunion is just kicking off when genealogist and town historian Torie O'Shea discovers a bad apple in her family tree. Someone has sent her several newspaper clippings reporting a fifty-year-old unsolved murder. The dead man is her great-grandfather-shot on his...more
Published August 15th 2000 by Minotaur Books (first published 1999)

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerWives and Daughters by Elizabeth GaskellThe Godfather by Mario Puzo
Kin
451st out of 674 books — 65 voters
In the Blood by Steve  RobinsonOnly You by Lorna PeelThe Last Queen of England by Steve  RobinsonTo the Grave by Steve  RobinsonWhere's Merrill? a genealogical thriller by Gearoid O'Neary
Stories for Genealogists/Family Historians
17th out of 40 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Patty
Torie (short for Victory) O'Shea and her madcap family are front and center again. This years family reunion on her father's side is scheduled for Torie's house and hometown.

As usual, Torie gets deeply involved in genealogy, this time her own father's family. She thought she knew everything but someone sends her some newspaper clippings about her great-grandfather. She had been told he died of a hunting accident, but these articles make it clear that he died on his own front porch - was it murd...more
Kay
Aug 19, 2011 Kay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Another fun mystery in the Torie series. Finding out that her great grandfather was murdered she jumps right in to solve the murder. It turns into a genealogist's horror story when she is given information that her great grandfather isn't really who she thinks but rather the 'lover' of her great grandmother. That is probably the biggest worry of any family historian, because you could actually be 'barking up the wrong tree' so to speak. I know every generation feels like they invented sex but th...more
Lesley
I love the idea of combining mysteries (which I love to read) with genealogy (one of my favorite hobbies), so I checked this book out of the library with high hopes. This book was even set during a week-long family reunion!

While I enjoyed some aspects of this story, like some of the family interactions, other parts weren't as enjoyable as I remember the other two Torie O'Shea books I've read were. This time around, I found Torie O'Shea, the protagonist and amateur genealogist/sleuth, to be a bi...more
Barbara
Leslie
Another fun outing in the Tori O'Shea mystery series. It's probably not a **** book, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. In this one, she hosts a week-long family reunion, during which she tries to coerce the family members to tell her how her great-grandfather died. They all say a hunting accident (in August?!), but the newspapers said that he was murdered on the front porch. And why did Great-Grandma sit in the living room with a shotgun and not allow anyone to go out and tend to him? Fun doings!
Diane Heath
This time around Tori is hosting the Keith family reunion. As her relatives begin to arrive she is sent a mysterious envelope with old newspaper clippings about the death (Murder) of her great-grandfather. Torie has to discover who knew about this death and why the family lore had ist reported as a hunting accident. A Fifty year old cold case, 50 relatives wandering throughout her house. And guess who is the 5th pregnant woman at this year's reunion?
Rebekah
Definitely a "cozy" mystery. I read this to see how good a genealogical mystery could be. It turns out, even mysteries about genealogy can't escape some of the boredom associated with the actual research. Nice effort though. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't something that sticks in your mind afterward either.
Rosalyn
I just recently discovered Rett Macpherson's mysteries and I've read the whole series in about a month--I've really enjoyed the combination of light-hearted mysteries with the geneology element. Torie is a particularly enjoyable heroine--spunky, nosy, and generally entertaining.
Lucy Janowiecki
I jumped into the middle of a series, but it didn't seem to matter. This book added some humor into a cold case mystery. It was a fast and interesting read. I can't wait to read more, and since it was published 12 years ago, I think I will get my wish. :)
Carolyn Tassie
This is the first book I've read in the Torie O'Shea series. I'm going to start at the beginning are read them all! Loved all the characters (even if I didn't like them, the page-turning story and theoutcome! Fun read!
Leah
This series is a fun, light read for mystery lovers. No need to worry about heavy duty violence or sex. And the heroine is a small town genealogist...fun!
Marta
Okay, so I'm a light mystery series junkie! I also like geneaology. This series combines those two things with some humor. Really good for a fun read!
Peg
I'm really starting to like this author's voice, as well as the characters and the little town they come from. A quick, fun read.
Kristen
This is another good one from Rett MacPherson featuring Torie in another genealogical mystery. Good twists and turns for an easy read.
Lynn Lipinski
An easy read, but the characters seemed more like caricatures than fully drawn people. Interesting use of genealogy studies.
Dee
I'm always looking for series. This was one with Torie O'Shea as a genealogist in Missouri with a mystery to solve.
Michelle Dancer
Not a bad book..Not a book I would rush out or stand in line to read, however, interesting read!
Laurie Andres
Meh. Relaxing to read, but a little simple. Too many typos; it bothered me.
Jeanne
This book was chosen for Book Club by Amy S. in January 2005. It was a dud.
Debbie
Torie takes a week off for her family reunion, and finds mystery in her past
Cris
Best book in the series so far!
Kimberly
Light and easy.
Amy
A great easy read.
Joy Chichester
Joy Chichester marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Crystal Slater
Crystal Slater marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
  • The Alpine Traitor (Emma Lord Mystery, #20)
  • Death on the Family Tree (Family Tree Genealogy #1)
  • The Body in the Bouillon (Faith Fairchild, #3)
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
  • The Balloon Man (Kelling & Bittersohn, #12)
  • Twenty Blue Devils (Gideon Oliver, #9)
  • Death Come Quickly (China Bayles, #22)
  • Sis Boom Bah
  • A Bloodhound To Die For
  • A Murderous Yarn (A Needlecraft Mystery, #5)
  • Missing Susan (Elizabeth MacPherson, #6)
  • Angel at Troublesome Creek (Augusta Goodnight #1)
  • Murder in Volume (Megan Clark, #1)
  • The Witch's Grave (Fever Devilin, #2)
  • Who Do You Think You Are?: The Essential Guide to Tracing Your Family History
Rett MacPherson was born in Saint Louis, Missouri, as Lauretta Allen. She is divorced with two daughters, and two cats, and is planing a May wedding to Joe Lange, an artist and musician, and her soul mate. She presently works as a customer service representative at a book wholesaler in Saint Louis.
More about Rett MacPherson...
Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1) A Veiled Antiquity (Torie O'Shea, #2) A Misty Mourning (Torie O'Shea, #4) Killing Cousins (Torie O'Shea, #5) The Blood Ballad (Torie O'Shea, #11)