Start by marking “Crazy Hair Day” as Want to Read:
Crazy Hair Day

Crazy Hair Day

"A crackerjack read-aloud with a great finish." —SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL

Stanley Birdbaum couldn't be more excited. He has rolled and wrapped and dyed his hair. He has dipped it and sprayed it and made it, well, perfect. He is ready to celebrate Crazy Hair Day at school. But when Stanley saunters up to the classroom, he learns, to his horror, that Crazy Hair Day is . . . nex
Published July 28th 2003 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Crazy Hair Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crazy Hair Day

Wonder by R.J. PalacioHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingMiss Nelson Is Missing! by Harry AllardFrindle by Andrew ClementsThe Adventures of Tempest & Serena by Marty Mokler Banks
Back to School!
24th out of 71 books — 44 voters
Bad Apple by Edward HemingwayYou Will Be My Friend! by Peter  BrownBear and Bee by Sergio RuzzierBoy + Bot by Ame DyckmanFrog and Toad Are Friends by Arnold Lobel
Friendship Storytime
21st out of 38 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Vance Allen
Jul 18, 2013 Vance Allen rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-reviews
The name of the main character was long and I feel as if the student's name was disengaging. It could have been an easy read if not for the names of the characters. The plot was a good way to discuss school dynamics with the students. It was a colorful book with nice pictures to go along with the story which made it easy to follow. The book had a nice surprise at the end with the picture. It was an easy read and could be read with students for a dramatic effect or for a fun independent reading.

Elizabeth Piskorski
Apr 03, 2016 Elizabeth Piskorski rated it did not like it
Very disappointed in this book. Not engaging, little thought put into the graphics, and the characters did not seem round at all. The book did not reveal any interesting ideas, and while it could be used to discuss classroom dynamics with students, I felt it was not useful enough to plan a lesson with, nor did it expose any new ideas. I disliked the message of how something is only okay if the entire group is doing it, and if not there is need to be embarrassed. There were a lot of things unment ...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I loved this book. Stanley thinks it is crazy hair day but when he gets to school he discovers that it is picture day instead. When Stanley gets laughed at, he runs out of the classroom. In the end, he learns an important lesson from his friends.
Brielle McKenna
Oct 02, 2016 Brielle McKenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng350
This was an incredible read! Stanley Birdbaum was prepared for Crazy Hair Day just to arrive at school to find out it was picture day. His classmates and teacher give him a funny look and he runs to hide in the bathroom. Mortified, he spends most of his day there. After being convinced to come back for the school picture, he walked into the classroom and noticed that all of his classmates and even his teacher joined in for a crazy hair day picture!

I can remember this happening to me in elementar
Jun 08, 2013 Karen rated it liked it
Crazy Hair Day was a cute story, but it isn't really at the top of my list. Stanley has prepared well for crazy hair day by going all out. But just as he is entering class, he hears his teacher remind the class that crazy hair day is next week, and today is picture day. Stanley decides to try to spend the rest of the day in the restroom to hide out from embarrassment. Stanley's friend comes in and finally convinces Stanley to come back to the room for school picture day, and to Stanley's surpris ...more
Gretchen Rosch
Oct 06, 2016 Gretchen Rosch rated it it was amazing
1. Stanley wakes up early knowing that today is crazy hair day at school. He is very prepared for this day. His mom helps him stick his hair straight up and they color is blue and orange. Crazy!! Stanley is very excited for school until he gets to school. Once he gets to school he hears his teacher remind the other students that crazy hair day is next Friday. Stanley cannot believe. He spends his day in the bathroom trying to avoid everyone. Larry tried all day to convince him to come out. Event ...more
Michalyn Easter
Aug 11, 2016 Michalyn Easter rated it really liked it
Shelves: ct-4136
Such a cute book with cuter illustrations! The story tells of a student excited about the promotions during spirit week at his school. The student is so excited that he gets his days mixed up, and he comes to school on Picture Day as though it was Crazy Hair Day! Talk about getting things mixed up! The student learns lessons about memory, friendship, teasing, bullying, and family. The book ends in a way that should bring a smile to anyone's face.
The book can be used as a learning tool mainly be
Jun 23, 2015 Larissa rated it really liked it
Saltzberg, Barney. Crazy Hair Day. Cambridge, MA: Candlewick, 2003. Print. Ages 6-8. Crazy Hair Day is a fun and enjoyable picture book that tells the story of Stanley Biredbaum. Stanley is a typical young elementary boy who made a mistake of thinking that crazy hair day was this Friday instead of when it actually was, which was next Friday. Stanley was embarrassed in front of the whole class when he came in with crazier hair then everyone else. This book actually really made me enjoy it because ...more
Alex Austin
Saltzberg, Barney. "Crazy Hair Day". Cambridge: Candlewick Press. 2003, Print. Realistic Picture Book. Age. 4-8. This story is about a boy who got his days mixed up between class picture day and crazy hair day. He wore really crazy hair on picture day so his whole class put con crazy hair to make him feel better. This book uses the elements of very simple focused pictures to help describe what the words are saying. It would have been impossible for everyone to think of the same hair without the ...more
Nov 17, 2015 Brittany added it
Shelves: picture-books
Stanley Birdbaum couldn't be more excited. He has rolled and wrapped and dyed his hair. He has dipped it and sprayed it and made it, well, perfect. He is ready to celebrate Crazy Hair Day at school. But when Stanley saunters up to the classroom, he learns, to his horror, that Crazy Hair Day is. . . next week. To make matters worse, today is School Picture Day, and everyone is expected to line up for the class photo What's Stanley to do? "A crackerjack read-aloud with a great finish. . . . This d ...more
Apr 09, 2011 Zach rated it really liked it
Stanley thinks today is 'crazy hair day' at school. With the help of his mom, he gives him self the wackiest hair-do imaginable but to his surprise, when he arrives at school, 'crazy hair day' isn't until NEXT week; picture day is today! He is teased and laughed out of the classroom and runs to the bathroom. His friend Larry, one of the teasers, comes to make amends but Stanley decides he wants to try and spend the entire day in the bathroom. He eventually comes out of the bathroom and nervously ...more
Sep 29, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
This is a must-read aloud book for Crazy Hair day! Poor tender-hearted Stanley gets his days mixed up and comes dressed for Crazy Hair day on School Picture Day! Yikes! Saltzberg does a great job telling a story that makes us laugh at Stanley's error, then cringe at Stanley's mortification, then finally smile at the very sweet ending. An especially poignant moment is when Stanley tells his best friend, Larry, that "Some days you tease me too much" and Larry admits that his teacher wants him "to ...more
Aug 07, 2011 Blair rated it really liked it
This story didn't do much for me, but my almost-5-year-old loved it, so it gets four stars for that reason.

The story is a simple one of Stanley, who thinks it's "Crazy Hair Day" when it's really school picture day! Stanley is extremely embarrassed but his teacher and classmates save the day when they ALL sport "crazy hair" for the class photograph. The story was definitely relatable. My daughter loved the little song Stanley sang: "Crazy hair, crazy hair, how I wish it wasn't there!" I liked the
Neil Nicholson
The main character in this book is a kid named Stanley. He spends a lot of time prepping his hair for "crazy hair day" only to go to school and find out that "crazy hair day" is next week! That's not all, the day that Stanley shows up with crazy hair is also school picture day. The ending is very delightful at the children rally around Stanley(they all get crazy hair). This story van be used to talk about teasing or being a good citizen. Teachers may also want to have their own "crazy hair day".
Asha Smith
Feb 15, 2011 Asha Smith rated it really liked it
Crazy Hair is a hilarious book about a little boy who gets all prepared for Crazy Hair Day. But when he walks into school he finds out that Crazy Hair day is NEXT week and that Picture day is today! After a friend teases him he runs into bathroom and doesnt want to come out because he is embarrassed. Well, when he finally comes out of the bathroom to take his class picture, he realizes all his classmates and teacher have crazy hair day! This is a great story about friendship and creating communi ...more
The main character goes to school thinking it's bad hair day. He is made fun of because of this by many of his friends. He later comes back to class to see everyone joining in on the new hair and he suddenly doesn't feel so silly anymore.

I think the one thing this book does is show students how to make students who are different feel normal for the day. Sometimes we have to look silly with our friends to make them feel better and this story was no exception.
Jul 11, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Stanley gets his hair all decked out for "Crazy Hair Day" at school. He and his mom go all out, spikes sprayed with orange and blue Halloween hair spray - only for Stanley to show up and school and find out Crazy Hair Day is NEXT Friday. The ensueing story is funny and kind of sweet. It shows how children react to such a situation, and how the grown ups in their lives can affect the situation. All in all a super cute story with adorable illustrations!
Mar 16, 2011 Jenna added it
Good story about turning a bad or embarassing moment into a funny memory or situation. It also teaches against bullying and instead of putting people down, when you know they're embarassed try to make them feel better, because that's what real champions do! It also would be a good book to read before spirit week to make the kids less hesitant to participate in spirit day, it will boost their confidence.
Lauren Jackson
I would be so embarassed if i was the little boy in this stiry. I felt bad for him. Instaed of complaining about getting the days mixed up he should have came to class proud. I would have my students write about a time when they were embarassed. If they want to share their experience with the class they can however instaed of beong sad about it everyone would laugh at the situation and tell them they survived.
It's okay to be different, and it's okay to make mistakes, but the message to take home is that of solidarity and how real friends will make you feel better even when you don't think it's possible. I don't know if it's just me, but the style of this book really reminded me of Kevin Henkes' mouse stories, Chester's Way, Lily etc...
Oct 18, 2008 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading to young children
Another fun story by Barney Saltzberg. This one is about how a mix up about what special day it is at school (Crazy Hair Day vs. Picture Day) can make for a lot of excitement. Our girls thought it was neat how the story ended (won't spoil it for you!) Our youngest has borrowed this book several times from the library - she loves it!
Kate Hastings
Grades K-3. Your child will feel for the main character in this story, who mistakenly dresses up for crazy hair day when it is picture day, and appreciate his classmates’ super, compassionate response. Review from Delightful Childrens Books.
Dec 11, 2008 B rated it really liked it
Shelves: guest-reader
JP Stanley believes it crazy hair day at school when in fact it is class picture day. His spiky colored hair will certainly stick out until the class comes up with a great solution to make Stanley feel better. For younger elem.
Nanee Zogaa
Feb 15, 2011 Nanee Zogaa rated it really liked it
Shelves: encouraging
One student thought it was crazy hair day at school, but he got his days mixed up. He came to school to find out that he was the only one with crazy hair! To add to his distress, it was picture day too! But, his classmates came to his rescue and helped him fit in.
Great book to talk about you might be different from the rest of the class, but in the end, you will fit in the class just fine. We as teachers need to accept our student no matter how different they are.
Sep 23, 2009 Jennybug rated it it was amazing
This is a really cute picture book. The story is about a little boy that gets crazy hair day mixed up with picture day. I just love the ending. Sit someone small on your lap, read out loud and enjoy.

Shelf 1
When Stanley wears crazy hair on the wrong day his friends help him feel silly by making their hair crazy too. He was afraid of people making fun of him. But the names are very hard to ssay and they really don't flow together well.
Karina Espinales
Nov 19, 2012 Karina Espinales rated it it was amazing
This is a really funny book. It is also great book to use to talk about embarrassing moments. It is a boy that think it is crazy hair day but it turns up to be next Friday. I used this book in a second grade class to learn about the author's purpose which was entertain.
Sha-Quita Jordan
Feb 09, 2011 Sha-Quita Jordan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creative
This book was full of laughter. Stanley is excited about crazy hair day at school, until he discovers that he has gotten the wrong date. Students would enjoy this story, especially since the setting is school!
Aoife Blood
Sep 25, 2015 Aoife Blood rated it it was amazing
We read this book because we were having Mad Hatter Day at school. We also had school photograph day on Wednesday. Our favourite part was at the end when all of the children made crazy hats. Especially the one made out of toilet paper!!
  • Some Smug Slug
  • Disappearing Desmond
  • It's Hard to Be Five: Learning How to Work My Control Panel
  • Raising Dragons
  • The Great Gracie Chase - Stop That Dog!
  • Shake Dem Halloween Bones
  • Miss Malarkey Leaves No Reader Behind
  • Bear's Loose Tooth
  • Fraidyzoo
  • Book! Book! Book!
Barney Saltzberg is the author and illustrator of close to 50 books for children, including Beautiful Oops!, Arlo Needs Glasses, Good Egg, Cornelius P. Mud , Crazy Hair Day and the bestselling Touch and Feel Kisses series with over 800,000 copies in print. He has two new releases, Tea With Grandpa and Chengdu Could Not Would Not Fall Asleep coming this spring.
Additionally, he’s recorded four CDs
More about Barney Saltzberg...