Crazy Hair Day

Crazy Hair Day

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  44 reviews
"A crackerjack read-aloud with a great finish." —SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL

Stanley Birdbaum couldn't be more excited. He has rolled and wrapped and dyed his hair. He has dipped it and sprayed it and made it, well, perfect. He is ready to celebrate Crazy Hair Day at school. But when Stanley saunters up to the classroom, he learns, to his horror, that Crazy Hair Day is . . . nex...more
Published July 28th 2003 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Crazy Hair Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crazy Hair Day

Wonder by R.J. PalacioMiss Nelson Is Missing! by Harry AllardFrindle by Andrew ClementsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Adventures of Tempest & Serena by Marty Mokler Banks
Back to School!
20th out of 64 books — 33 voters
Bad Apple by Edward HemingwayBear and Bee by Sergio RuzzierSay Hello to Zorro! by Carter GoodrichLeonardo, the Terrible Monster by Mo WillemsBoy and Bot by Ame Dyckman
Friendship Storytime
16th out of 32 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Vance Allen
The name of the main character was long and I feel as if the student's name was disengaging. It could have been an easy read if not for the names of the characters. The plot was a good way to discuss school dynamics with the students. It was a colorful book with nice pictures to go along with the story which made it easy to follow. The book had a nice surprise at the end with the picture. It was an easy read and could be read with students for a dramatic effect or for a fun independent reading.

T...more
Michalyn Easter
Such a cute book with cuter illustrations! The story tells of a student excited about the promotions during spirit week at his school. The student is so excited that he gets his days mixed up, and he comes to school on Picture Day as though it was Crazy Hair Day! Talk about getting things mixed up! The student learns lessons about memory, friendship, teasing, bullying, and family. The book ends in a way that should bring a smile to anyone's face.
The book can be used as a learning tool mainly be...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I loved this book. Stanley thinks it is crazy hair day but when he gets to school he discovers that it is picture day instead. When Stanley gets laughed at, he runs out of the classroom. In the end, he learns an important lesson from his friends.
Karen
Crazy Hair Day was a cute story, but it isn't really at the top of my list. Stanley has prepared well for crazy hair day by going all out. But just as he is entering class, he hears his teacher remind the class that crazy hair day is next week, and today is picture day. Stanley decides to try to spend the rest of the day in the restroom to hide out from embarrassment. Stanley's friend comes in and finally convinces Stanley to come back to the room for school picture day, and to Stanley's surpris...more
Zach
Stanley thinks today is 'crazy hair day' at school. With the help of his mom, he gives him self the wackiest hair-do imaginable but to his surprise, when he arrives at school, 'crazy hair day' isn't until NEXT week; picture day is today! He is teased and laughed out of the classroom and runs to the bathroom. His friend Larry, one of the teasers, comes to make amends but Stanley decides he wants to try and spend the entire day in the bathroom. He eventually comes out of the bathroom and nervously...more
Blair
This story didn't do much for me, but my almost-5-year-old loved it, so it gets four stars for that reason.

The story is a simple one of Stanley, who thinks it's "Crazy Hair Day" when it's really school picture day! Stanley is extremely embarrassed but his teacher and classmates save the day when they ALL sport "crazy hair" for the class photograph. The story was definitely relatable. My daughter loved the little song Stanley sang: "Crazy hair, crazy hair, how I wish it wasn't there!" I liked the...more
Grace
Absolutely a great story.
Neil Nicholson
The main character in this book is a kid named Stanley. He spends a lot of time prepping his hair for "crazy hair day" only to go to school and find out that "crazy hair day" is next week! That's not all, the day that Stanley shows up with crazy hair is also school picture day. The ending is very delightful at the children rally around Stanley(they all get crazy hair). This story van be used to talk about teasing or being a good citizen. Teachers may also want to have their own "crazy hair day".
Asha Smith
Crazy Hair is a hilarious book about a little boy who gets all prepared for Crazy Hair Day. But when he walks into school he finds out that Crazy Hair day is NEXT week and that Picture day is today! After a friend teases him he runs into bathroom and doesnt want to come out because he is embarrassed. Well, when he finally comes out of the bathroom to take his class picture, he realizes all his classmates and teacher have crazy hair day! This is a great story about friendship and creating communi...more
Jessy
The main character goes to school thinking it's bad hair day. He is made fun of because of this by many of his friends. He later comes back to class to see everyone joining in on the new hair and he suddenly doesn't feel so silly anymore.

I think the one thing this book does is show students how to make students who are different feel normal for the day. Sometimes we have to look silly with our friends to make them feel better and this story was no exception.
Michelle
Stanley gets his hair all decked out for "Crazy Hair Day" at school. He and his mom go all out, spikes sprayed with orange and blue Halloween hair spray - only for Stanley to show up and school and find out Crazy Hair Day is NEXT Friday. The ensueing story is funny and kind of sweet. It shows how children react to such a situation, and how the grown ups in their lives can affect the situation. All in all a super cute story with adorable illustrations!
Fjóla
It's okay to be different, and it's okay to make mistakes, but the message to take home is that of solidarity and how real friends will make you feel better even when you don't think it's possible. I don't know if it's just me, but the style of this book really reminded me of Kevin Henkes' mouse stories, Chester's Way, Lily etc...
Lauren Jackson
I would be so embarassed if i was the little boy in this stiry. I felt bad for him. Instaed of complaining about getting the days mixed up he should have came to class proud. I would have my students write about a time when they were embarassed. If they want to share their experience with the class they can however instaed of beong sad about it everyone would laugh at the situation and tell them they survived.
Jenna
Mar 16, 2011 Jenna added it
Good story about turning a bad or embarassing moment into a funny memory or situation. It also teaches against bullying and instead of putting people down, when you know they're embarassed try to make them feel better, because that's what real champions do! It also would be a good book to read before spirit week to make the kids less hesitant to participate in spirit day, it will boost their confidence.
Mary
This is a must-read aloud book! Poor tender-hearted Stanley gets his days mixed up. Stanley come dressed for Crazy Hair day on School Picture Day! Yikes! Saltzberg does a great job telling a story that makes us laugh at Stanley's error, then cringe at Stanley's mortification, then finally smile at the very, very sweet ending. A truly special book about friendship and dealing with hurt feelings.
Dolly
Oct 18, 2008 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading to young children
Another fun story by Barney Saltzberg. This one is about how a mix up about what special day it is at school (Crazy Hair Day vs. Picture Day) can make for a lot of excitement. Our girls thought it was neat how the story ended (won't spoil it for you!) Our youngest has borrowed this book several times from the library - she loves it!
Kate Hastings
Grades K-3. Your child will feel for the main character in this story, who mistakenly dresses up for crazy hair day when it is picture day, and appreciate his classmates’ super, compassionate response. Review from Delightful Childrens Books. http://delightfulchildrensbooks.com/2...
Karina Espinales
This is a really funny book. It is also great book to use to talk about embarrassing moments. It is a boy that think it is crazy hair day but it turns up to be next Friday. I used this book in a second grade class to learn about the author's purpose which was entertain.
Nanee Zogaa
One student thought it was crazy hair day at school, but he got his days mixed up. He came to school to find out that he was the only one with crazy hair! To add to his distress, it was picture day too! But, his classmates came to his rescue and helped him fit in.
Vicki
Stanley loves the special theme days at school. He is super excited about Crazy Hair Day, there is only one problem. When Stanley gets to school he discovers that he got his dates wrong and instead of Crazy Hair Day; it is Class Picture Day! Great book!
Anna
When Stanley wears crazy hair on the wrong day his friends help him feel silly by making their hair crazy too. He was afraid of people making fun of him. But the names are very hard to ssay and they really don't flow together well.
B
JP Stanley believes it crazy hair day at school when in fact it is class picture day. His spiky colored hair will certainly stick out until the class comes up with a great solution to make Stanley feel better. For younger elem.
Jennybug
This is a really cute picture book. The story is about a little boy that gets crazy hair day mixed up with picture day. I just love the ending. Sit someone small on your lap, read out loud and enjoy.

Shelf 1
Sha-Quita Jordan
This book was full of laughter. Stanley is excited about crazy hair day at school, until he discovers that he has gotten the wrong date. Students would enjoy this story, especially since the setting is school!
Amber
Great book to talk about you might be different from the rest of the class, but in the end, you will fit in the class just fine. We as teachers need to accept our student no matter how different they are.
Amy_Read to My Heart's Content
This was such a cute book to read to the kids! It helps show kids that it is okay to be different and in fact it can be super fun too!

My seven year old and three year old loved this book!
Grace
Stanley wakes up very early to prepare for Crazy Hair day at school. When he gets to school he discovers that Crazy Hair day isn't until next Friday and school picture day is today!
Tara
This was a pretty cute book. It would be a great way to bring up empathy and others' points of view. I'm sure many parents and children alike have found themselves in a similar situation!
Rebecca
This is a good read for self esteem issues. readers will have a character to relate to and work through the feelings. I recommend this for 1 at-3rd grades.
Kira Richardson
This was a nice book that would be entertaining to young students. I believe that students would be able to make text to self connections through this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • It's Hard to Be Five: Learning How to Work My Control Panel
  • Mama for Owen
  • Raising Dragons
  • Ruby Bridges Goes To School: My True Story (Scholastic Reader Level 2)
  • Reading Makes You Feel Good
  • Wings
  • Miss Smith's Incredible Storybook (Picture Puffin Books)
  • Grandpa's Teeth
  • Dog in Boots
  • Back of the Bus
  • My Dadima Wears a Sari
  • If I Built a Car
Barney Saltzberg is the author and illustrator of close to 50 books for children, including Beautiful Oops!, Arlo Needs Glasses, Good Egg, Cornelius P. Mud , Crazy Hair Day and the bestselling Touch and Feel Kisses series with over 800,000 copies in print. He has two new releases, Tea With Grandpa and Chengdu Could Not Would Not Fall Asleep coming this spring.
Additionally, he’s recorded four CDs...more
More about Barney Saltzberg...
Beautiful Oops! Andrew Drew and Drew Chengdu Could Not, Would Not, Fall Asleep Cornelius P. Mud, Are You Ready for Bed? Tea with Grandpa