Boing!

Boing!

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A baby kangaroo tries desperately to learn how to jump, but can't quite make the leap. . .

Again and again she tries, with the hearty encouragement of a frog, a grasshopper, and a rabbit, not to mention his doting Mama. But instead of boinging he blomps, bloomps, and blomps. But then, a koala comes up with a surprising solution, and our little hero boings literally right o...more
Published November 1st 2004 by Roaring Brook Press (first published January 1st 2004)

Matt
The book has several flaws, the chief of which is that it is difficult to read to someone since the author provides no non-visual queues for who is saying what. This forces me to ad lib so that the girls can follow along with the story. The other is that the story is paper thin and the dialogue almost nonexistant.

All of that though pales in comparison to this books chief virtue, which is that it makes my little undersized former premie with the physical development problems want to jump!
Rebecca
Fun book about the challenge of a kid trying to walk. The key to success is a bizarre surprise revealed suddenly rather than with the usual foreshadowing and I think the foreshadowing would have been more effective. The style includes some graphic symbols for flourish and some surprise (and random) sky color changes (from blue to magenta to orange and then changing back for no apparent reason, though the visual idea of the changes is nice) and little asides by the characters. Surprise pop-up in...more
Candice
Sophie, almost three, gave this five stars today by asking me to read it over and over again and then laughing each time. When we got home from the library she delightedly showed her mommy and grandpa this wonderful book. I guess I will have to give this five stars, too. It's lots of fun. A little kangaroo is trying to learn to hop, but isn't having much luck. The pictures are simple, bright, and entertaining. Not much dialog - mostly "boing!" - but lots of fun.
A rabbit, grasshopper, frog, and mamma kangaroo encourage a little girl kangaroo to jump. She tries and tries but keeps landing on her face. A fellow marsupial, the koala, asks, "What do you have in your pocket?" The little kangaroo pulls out enough toys to fill a toy box, and is finally able to jump. This book has adorable illustrations and a surprise pop-up at the end. Good for use in a storytime with a lot of movement-- you have to jump a lot!
jacky
Sep 07, 2010 jacky rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: preschool - primary
I missed most of this one at story time today because Natalie was trying to socialize with the mother and toddler next to us. In actuality, she was falling between two chairs and trying to poke the poor little girl in the eyes. Anyway, what I did see and hear of this one looked good. Cute kangaroos. Plot appeared to be about the young kangaroo learning to hop. Funny section on what was in his pouch.
Roben
I used this in story time today and the kids really enjoyed it! Especially when Koala asks Joey what he has in his pocket. We started the story by practicing our jumping skills. This was a good, quick book for story time that could be used with a variety of themes including jumping, learning new skills, books about Australian or zoo animals, and, of course, pockets!
Tawnya Yardley
I read this book to my 6 year old nephew and he loved it. He begged me to read it outloud to him again and again. The bright colors add interest and excitement expecially for young readers. This is a pattern book, but an interactive book too. I highly recommend this for a read outloud book.
Jen
this book can be about trying your hardest and figuring out what weighs you down. You can also talk to kids about how we can encourage one another.
Inspired Kathy
This book contains very few words (except on 1 page). My kids love it. They want me to read it over and over and then read it themselves.
Tati
Adorable! The joey can't hop because he has stuffed his pocket full of too many things!
Kim
Cute surprise, but not very many words.
kelly
Liby likes this book. It's cute.
Mary
Very cute- too short for storytime.
Mrs Bond
Little kangaroo learns to hop.
Greta
Pretty fun.
Suzanne
May 09, 2007 Suzanne rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Children
Shelves: picture-books
Fun, fun, fun!
Lisa Sarm
Lisa Sarm marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Carrie Charley Brown
Carrie Charley Brown marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Arlyn
Arlyn added it
Sep 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Nick Bruel is the New York Times bestselling author and illustrator of children's books including Bad Kitty, Bad Kitty Gets a Bath, Bad Kitty Meets the Baby, and Boing!, among others. Nick is a freelance illustrator and cartoonist, and during his down time, he collects PEZ dispensers and grows tomatoes in the backyard. He lives in Tarrytown, NY with his wife Carina and their lovely cat Esmerelda.

h...more
More about Nick Bruel...
Bad Kitty Bad Kitty Gets a Bath Happy Birthday, Bad Kitty Bad Kitty vs Uncle Murray Bad Kitty for President