Start by marking “This Family of Women” as Want to Read:
This Family of Women

This Family of Women

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  8 reviews
BOUND BY TIES OF BLOOD AND LOVE, SURVIVAL WAS THEIR LEGACY...

Lena, who ransomed her future to buy her daughter respectability... Effie, driven to greatness in her desperation to escape the past... Constance, born to celebrity, struggling to achieve an identity of her own... Rose, building an empire of beauty on a foundation of shame...and June, finding love in a firestorm
Mass Market Paperback, 414 pages
Published June 1st 1984 by Dell (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about This Family of Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Family of Women

Robin
The cover suggests exactly the kind of ABC Miniseries family epic you are in for, with a 1980s Ladies fierceness. (I'm a wooo-mun) I cannot understand why this was not televised, except that in 1983 even Cagney & Lacey was trying to prove people would watch television about women.

The dialogue is a little soapy, but there is not much of it. Most of the narrative is interior monologue and description, told through several narrators as this family ages. The multi-narration approach adds very li
Jennifer Barlow
I love this book. I love a good generational family story. I hunted this back down just so I would stop checking it out at the library.
Bonnie
Great tale - epic, covering several generations of two families, but not of epic proportions, because the families are extremely poor for most of the book. A lot of history, covering the movement west, and with more of the suffering that was probably really experienced, but rarely described in novels. Though it seemed a bit depressing around the middle of the book, the author's technique of switching voices (all told first person) helped soften it. Good ending - not trite or contrived but still ...more
Jami
This is the first adult book I've read by Richard Peck. It was quite different from his young adult fiction- he likes to kill off main characters. I kept waiting for the "happy" Peck to kick in. But it never did- it was a saga of strong women struggling and mostly conquering the problems of their generation...but there was also a lot of tragedy. What can I say? I like the Disney version of life better.
Emily
I liked this a lot but then all of a sudden it ended. Why follow 5 generations? Why not 4? Why not 6? All were interesting and likeable, strong women. I'm glad to 'discover' Richard Peck and will be reading more of his stuff for sure.
Katherine
This book is outstanding in depth and scope. It traces the story of a variety of women, and the men and children in their lives, through the history and events that shape their lives. Well written and entertaining, a book to enjoy and remember. I enjoyed it very much and would heartily recommend it to others.
Ginger
This book showed how "issues" from one generation get passed on to future generations. I found the characters interesting although many of them never seemed to change things in their lives that made them unhappy.
Katie
I remember reading this twice when I was in college, but I barely recall any of the specifics.
Sherri
Sherri added it
Feb 22, 2015
Veronica Elliott
Veronica Elliott marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Raven
Raven marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Sandra Giles
Sandra Giles marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Kids
Kids added it
Aug 30, 2014
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Jill
Jill added it
Jan 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Richard Peck is an American novelist known for his prolific contributions to modern young adult literature. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 2001 for his novel A Year Down Yonder.

Richard Peck was born in 1934 in Decatur, Illinois, a town he describes as quiet and safe. His mother, Virginia, was a dietitian and his father, Wayne, was a merchant who often rode his Harley Davidson to work.

Richard
More about Richard Peck...
A Long Way from Chicago (A Long Way from Chicago, #1) A Year Down Yonder (A Long Way from Chicago, #2) The Teacher's Funeral : A Comedy in Three Parts The River Between Us A Season of Gifts (A Long Way from Chicago, #3)