Start by marking “This Family of Women” as Want to Read:
This Family of Women

This Family of Women

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  59 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
BOUND BY TIES OF BLOOD AND LOVE, SURVIVAL WAS THEIR LEGACY...

Lena, who ransomed her future to buy her daughter respectability... Effie, driven to greatness in her desperation to escape the past... Constance, born to celebrity, struggling to achieve an identity of her own... Rose, building an empire of beauty on a foundation of shame...and June, finding love in a firestorm
Mass Market Paperback, 414 pages
Published June 1st 1984 by Dell (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about This Family of Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Family of Women

Robin
Dec 07, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it
The cover suggests exactly the kind of ABC Miniseries family epic you are in for, with a 1980s Ladies fierceness. (I'm a wooo-mun) I cannot understand why this was not televised, except that in 1983 even Cagney & Lacey was trying to prove people would watch television about women.

The dialogue is a little soapy, but there is not much of it. Most of the narrative is interior monologue and description, told through several narrators as this family ages. The multi-narration approach adds very li
Wendy
Jul 05, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure how to rate this. There were parts in this book that made me uncomfortable and sometimes even a little queasy, but overall it was a captivating story and well-written.
Jennifer Barlow
Jun 29, 2015 Jennifer Barlow rated it really liked it
I love this book. I love a good generational family story. I hunted this back down just so I would stop checking it out at the library.
Wendy
Dec 29, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it
Very engrossing look at the lives of women in generations - some of it sad
Bonnie
Mar 09, 2012 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Great tale - epic, covering several generations of two families, but not of epic proportions, because the families are extremely poor for most of the book. A lot of history, covering the movement west, and with more of the suffering that was probably really experienced, but rarely described in novels. Though it seemed a bit depressing around the middle of the book, the author's technique of switching voices (all told first person) helped soften it. Good ending - not trite or contrived but still ...more
Jami
Jan 03, 2011 Jami rated it liked it
This is the first adult book I've read by Richard Peck. It was quite different from his young adult fiction- he likes to kill off main characters. I kept waiting for the "happy" Peck to kick in. But it never did- it was a saga of strong women struggling and mostly conquering the problems of their generation...but there was also a lot of tragedy. What can I say? I like the Disney version of life better.
Emily
Jan 03, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
I liked this a lot but then all of a sudden it ended. Why follow 5 generations? Why not 4? Why not 6? All were interesting and likeable, strong women. I'm glad to 'discover' Richard Peck and will be reading more of his stuff for sure.
Katherine
Apr 05, 2011 Katherine rated it really liked it
This book is outstanding in depth and scope. It traces the story of a variety of women, and the men and children in their lives, through the history and events that shape their lives. Well written and entertaining, a book to enjoy and remember. I enjoyed it very much and would heartily recommend it to others.
Ginger
Aug 30, 2009 Ginger rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book showed how "issues" from one generation get passed on to future generations. I found the characters interesting although many of them never seemed to change things in their lives that made them unhappy.
Katie
Mar 04, 2008 Katie rated it liked it
I remember reading this twice when I was in college, but I barely recall any of the specifics.
Johnna
Johnna added it
Apr 02, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Apr 02, 2016
Smurphegmail.Com
Smurphegmail.Com marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Angie Smith
Angie Smith rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Emma Jane
Emma Jane marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Lynda Christal
Lynda Christal rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Donna LeBert
Donna LeBert marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Sherri
Sherri rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
Amy Knighton
Amy Knighton marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Jan
Jan added it
Nov 01, 2015
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Piper Gottfried
Piper Gottfried rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2015
Wesley
Wesley rated it really liked it
May 25, 2015
Sherry Beaubriand
Sherry Beaubriand rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Veronica Elliott
Veronica Elliott marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Richard Peck is an American novelist known for his prolific contributions to modern young adult literature. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 2001 for his novel A Year Down Yonder.

Richard Peck was born in 1934 in Decatur, Illinois, a town he describes as quiet and safe. His mother, Virginia, was a dietitian and his father, Wayne, was a merchant who often rode his Harley Davidson to work.

Richard
More about Richard Peck...