Start by marking “Amanda/Miranda (YA abridged version)” as Want to Read:
Amanda/Miranda (YA abridged version)

Amanda/Miranda (YA abridged version)

Intrigue, romance, and scheming aboard the Titanic

This updated edition of the popular Richard Peck novel, available in time to commemorate the anniversary of the Titanic's fateful voyage in 1912, starts with a chilling prophecy. When Miranda begins her position as maid-servant to the glamorous and selfish Amanda Whitwell, Amanda wastes no time in using Miranda to suit her
Paperback, Abridged, 176 pages
Published June 25th 2001 by Puffin (first published January 1st 1980)

A bit more "adult" than the other Richard Peck book I've read (The Ghost Belonged to Me) and entirely engrossing in a different way. Mr. Peck's characters are quite vivid, and the plot has enough twists and detail to be interesting. It's not that I didn't want to put this book down, just that it was a rare occurrence.
Feb 09, 2008 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I love Richard Peck and his clean, clear style. There’s not much to criticize with his writing, even if this isn’t my favorite book.

I liked this book, the characters were intriguing, the situations extreme enough to hold my attention, but realistic enough to keep me reading, and the plot was interesting. It wasn’t my favorite historical fiction, but it has been well received. I think this book would have great appeal to tween and early teens, especially girls interested in historical fiction.
Apr 11, 2008 Cheryl rated it liked it
Recommended to Cheryl by: Marnae Wisenburger
This book was slow at the begging.But when you get in it you have to continue to read just to see what happens next. I felt bad for how the lady uses the Maranda. A little disappointed that more of the book didn't take place on the titanic.
Apr 11, 2008 Stephanie rated it liked it
I had many mixed emotions with this book: love, anger, sadness, hate, empathy, joy, etc. I thought it was interesting how their lives were fatefully thrown together just because they looked so much alike. I felt like the cover of the book was deceiving with the picture of the Titanic because I was expecting the book to involve the ship more. I do wish it would have talked about the Titanic part of it more in depth. But overall, it was a easy, quick read.
Feb 15, 2009 Wendy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Apparently Richard Peck's youthful Titanic obsession matched my own. I want to read this, but I don't think I want to read an abridged YA version. Unless it's better than the original, which could be possible, I guess. Will do some hunting.
Mar 04, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up at a book sale for less then .20 cents. I didn't know anything about it. I only got it because of the title. My name is Amanda and my sister's name is Merinda but everyone calls her Miranda when they first meet her. Anyhow, I rather enjoyed it. It was an interesting story line with a somewhat satisfying ending. I only liked 2/3 of the ending. It was very interesting how the main character's name is so important, and how at the end when her name is said you have to sit and r ...more
Sandra Strange
Sep 18, 2009 Esmirna rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Oct 21, 2009 Kayli rated it it was amazing
I LOOOOOVED reading this book! Honestly it was a treat to read. Why haven't I ever seen it before? Richard Peck's fantastic writing (I love Richard Peck!), captivating plot, good ending. I think if you're female, you'll love it. It's not very deep and it is fairly predictable, but mainly it's just a purely delightful book.

p.s. I just barely noticed that this is the YA abridged version, and I'm pretty sure that's what I read, and not the full adult version. Hmmm, I wish I could find that version,
Mar 11, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was about 300 pages too long, but I can't think of any portion or subplot to cut from it. All of it seems completely necessary to the story, which is complicated, emotional and very well articulated. Peck writes from the perspective of both Amanda and Miranda as well as from the third person omniscient perspective with none of the jarring transitions other books who employ that device seem to fall prey too. The historical period clothing and home decor are vibrantly described, especial ...more
Carrie Goodall
Apr 06, 2011 Carrie Goodall rated it liked it
Not standard Richard Peck, but very good. I didn't realize before that this book was abridged. I wonder if there is an unabridged one published for the adult market and then this one was published for the YA market. Peck has others that aren't YA, so it's a bit of a mystery.
Apr 05, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
I have a granddaughter named Amanda so when I saw the book on sale at the library last week, I brought it home. I put it on the bookshelf and began to remember what it was about. I had forgotten that I had read it, but the more I looked at it the more I remembered about it. I think I enjoyed it when I read it but it was obviously a forgettable book, a good story but nothing out of the ordinary.
Sydney Cowie
Sep 22, 2011 Sydney Cowie rated it it was amazing
This is a book I've read over and over since I fist picked it up at a library sale when I was 14. Amanda/Miranda is the perfect soap opera. I can't help but picture a 19 year old Elizabeth Taylor in the title roles.
Dec 08, 2011 Arina rated it it was amazing
This book is a touching historical fiction full of mischief, love, and danger. Mary/Miranda is working for a rich and snobby girl, Amanda, but she doesn't know Amanda's plans with her. If you like to read mystery/historical fiction, I would recommend this to you.
I had high hopes for this one as I love anything about the Titanic, it just didn't meet my expectations. There was very little about the book that actually had to do with the Titanic. I basically knew how the book would end up just by reading the description. Not too many surprises here. This was listed as juvenile at my library, but I feel it was a little deep for kids and should have been in the adult section.
Feb 01, 2012 Betsy rated it it was ok
Amanda/Miranda was kind of like an interesting twist on the Prince and the Pauper. I liked the story and the little twists and turns in it. Amanda is a rich girl living in England and Mary is soon to be her maid (and soon to be renamed Miranda upon Amanda's insistence). The girls are practically twins. Amanda realizes she can use this to her advantage when it comes to the two men in her life. Unfortunately, the girls end up headed for American on the Titanic and Amanda's plan may not work out th ...more
What a disappointment. I have loved the other books I've read by Peck. But this didn't even come close to their caliber. I was excited that he'd written a Titanic book, and that I was reading a ton of Titanic for the 100th anniversary. But the Titanic itself was a minor detail. Pivotal moment, yes, but we were only on the ship for maybe 15-20 pages!

The 3 different POVs were irritating. I couldn't stand the character of Amanda. (I suppose you are supposed to, though.) Miranda's character changed
Kris Irvin
Apr 08, 2012 Kris Irvin rated it did not like it
Shelves: bad-books, 2012
Maybe the unabridged version is better, but heaven knows it couldn't be worse. This book is chopped to bits, very disorganized and very lame. The 3 pov's are extremely disorienting and random. About 2 seconds of the book happens on the Titanic, so I thought the synopsis was very misleading. Had serious potential and I might be interested in reading the adult version.Why would they abridge it? Seems like a cheap, sneaky ploy to sell more books.
Apr 14, 2012 Samantha rated it liked it
It was ok. My daughter wanted me to read it as she found it in the young adult section. It took a a few to really get into the book. Once you at the part where you are interested, it goes fast. Slow start but good book.
Aug 03, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: my-books
I originally read this book over 10 years ago when I was in elementary school because of the name "Amanda/Miranda." I recently found it at a book outlet for 50 cents and snatched it up, recalling how much I enjoyed the story as a little girl. Well... times change and I'm sad to say it wasn't as good as I remembered it. By simply looking at the cover and reading the blurb on the back, one would think this is a story about the sailing and ultimate sinking of the Titanic. The Titanic is in (maybe) ...more
Oct 20, 2012 Bobby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bobby by: Mary Jo Wagner
I read the "adult" version of this book many years ago, and it was terrific. I know it has been chopped up into a "young adult" version. And some adult readers have mistakenly read that one and been disappointed. Find the grown-up one and try again!
Linda Lipko
Apr 10, 2013 Linda Lipko rated it did not like it
Because I enjoyed other books by Richard Peck, I thought I would like this one as well. I was wrong.

The story of two girls, one rich, one poor, both of whom look alike, was quite boring and tedious.

When the rich Amanda uses her servant girl Miranda for devious purposes, the tables are turned.

With the backdrop of the sinking of the Titanic, Peck weaves a tale that never quite lives up to his usual standard.

Not recommended.
Jul 23, 2013 James rated it really liked it
Richard Peck continues to take the 'Middle' out of 'Middle Grade Fiction.' Set up like a fine romance story, but with enough adventure (on the Titanic, no less!) to keep 43-year-old male me interested, this book had many surprises in it that made it worth the read.
Kat B
The story is filled with lust and deceit, a good woman and one use to getting her way. What happens when Amanda can't get her way with the lowly man she loves? She tricks Miranda into marrying him. The tables were never in Amanda's favor though.

Amanda has a rich suitor who she has vowed to marry, over in his homeland-- America. The obvious plan would be for her to trade places with Miranda and live happily ever after with John Thorne, the family's handyman. Instead, Amanda plots for John and Mir
Jul 14, 2015 Nattie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: incomplete
I read a Richard Peck book when I was 7 in 1987, and I hated it. I read two more when I was about 12, and I hated them. I read a few more when I was around 18, and yes, I hated them.

I decided to try this book because I loved the idea of it being set on the Titanic, and it sounded fascinating. I'm 34 now, and I hated it.

I think I will leave Richard Peck alone.
Jun 26, 2014 Ashwise rated it really liked it
An interesting book I encountered in highschool where a maid becomes friends with her mistress, they look alike and get involved with different men the other one likes. The plot twist was interesting and the ending made me wonder if the parents knew about the twist all along. Would definitely read again.
Mar 04, 2015 Donnell rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Great cover on this edition.

Had some trouble identifying with the characters. Not quite enough there of Miranda to like, or to understand why the men like her (other than she's not Amanda so, in the higher scheme of things, we know she's the "better" person.) Amanda is a bit over-the-top-bad seeming to have no redeeming feature or spot of niceness, at all.
May 12, 2015 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I am VERY disappointed to find out this is the abridged version, at 176 pages vs the 315 pages of the original.

I see similarities to "secrets at sea" by Peck that i just read. Book is enjoyable but slow reading.

This is a cross between upstairs downstairs, And the movie Atitanic. It reads just like a victoria holt novel.
Oct 07, 2015 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Miranda -born Mary Cooke- goes into service in the Whitwell home, and becomes lady's maid to the willful, beautiful Amanda Whitwell. Amanda is being courted by a wealthy American who dreams of building safe and sound homes for immigrants in the States - and Amanda dreams of ways to be with her chauffeur lover. Happily, Miranda looks like Amanda's twin. Amanda plots and connives to find a way to have American money and her common lover - and then all those plans, Amanda and Miranda get on the mai ...more
Jul 20, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
Not going to lie, I had the hardest time getting into this book. I don't know if it was the slower pace or just that there were a few too many characters. About halfway through though it picked up and it turned out to be a pretty interesting story.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Amanda/Miranda 1 3 May 21, 2012 05:03PM
  • Fires of Destiny
  • A Dark and Distant Shore
  • Titanic: Legacy of the World's Greatest Ocean Liner
  • Destined
  • The Prodigal Women
  • Operation Titanic (Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: Super Mystery, #35)
  • Eden Rising (Eden, #5)
  • Saving the Queen
  • The Other Eden
  • The Rain Maiden
  • The Titanic Murders (Disaster Series, #1)
  • Lily Cigar
  • Cress Delahanty
  • That Fatal Night: The Titanic Diary of Dorothy Wilton (Dear Canada)
  • Unsinkable: The Full Story Of The RMS Titanic
  • Dangerous Obsession
  • Molly Brown: Unraveling the Myth
  • Her Name, Titanic
Richard Peck is an American novelist known for his prolific contributions to modern young adult literature. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 2001 for his novel A Year Down Yonder.

Richard Peck was born in 1934 in Decatur, Illinois, a town he describes as quiet and safe. His mother, Virginia, was a dietitian and his father, Wayne, was a merchant who often rode his Harley Davidson to work.

More about Richard Peck...