Start by marking “Let's Get Criminal (Nick Hoffman, #1)” as Want to Read:
Let's Get Criminal (Nick Hoffman, #1)

Let's Get Criminal (Nick Hoffman #1)

When Perry Cross, an outsider, is hired to fill a new position at the State University of Michigan, fellow teacher Nick Hoffman finds the situation curious. But his curiosity changes obsession when he learns that his longtime lover, Stefan, shares a past with Cross. Now Cross has been murdered, and both Nick and Stefan are prime suspects.
Published January 15th 1997 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Let's Get Criminal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let's Get Criminal

PaperMoon
Apr 12, 2013 PaperMoon rated it it was amazing
What would you do if you were forced to suddenly share office space with a good looking new upstart external academic being ushered into a fast-track career path ahead of you (with an annual salary several rungs above yours). What would you do if you suddenly discovered that your partner/lover of ten years had a romantic past with this same fellow – details of which your partner has never disclosed before until now when you felt that you had shared just about everything there was to be shared be ...more
Kati
Nov 18, 2007 Kati rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all gay mystery lovers
This was a funny and kind of a feel!good who-dun-it book told from the 1st POV of Nick Hoffman, the university professor and lover of Stefan Borowski, also a professor and a reknown writer. When Nick finds out that Stefan helped a former lover to win a position at the University, he's enraged and he wishes that said ex-lover was dead. But then, said ex-lover is truly found dead and suddenly, Nick and Stefan are the main suspects of his murder.

What I loved about this book was the main hero himse
Bill Peschel
Aug 27, 2010 Bill Peschel rated it it was amazing
Let's Get Criminal hooked me from the first page, when the arrival of Professor Perry Cross to the State University of Michigan threatens to unravel the longtime relationship between professors Nick Hoffman and Stefan Borowski. Hired under suspicious circumstances, with Borowski's recommendation, Cross brought with him a well-bred air of menace, so that when his body was found floating underneath a campus bridge, he left behind plenty of suspects, including Hoffman and Borowski.

But while Cross
B
Dec 15, 2010 B rated it liked it
I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could. I'll definitely check out the sequel. I liked Lev Raphael's easy-to-read writing style (even if I didn't always get all the literary references).
Ruru
Jun 14, 2010 Ruru rated it liked it
I re-read this for a book club - a fun little romp. Some of the references are dated, and the descriptions of academia are perhaps exaggerated, but it's not a bad read.
Bk
Dec 15, 2013 Bk rated it it was amazing
Available as an ebook with a much nicer cover, this is the first in Raphael's inimitable academic mystery series. Very funny, very surprising, and even very touching.
Andrea
Oct 29, 2012 Andrea rated it it was amazing
It's the first of the Nick Hoffman mysteries and the first I've read and I really enjoyed it. I will read the other books of the series for sure.

Wende
Aug 15, 2012 Wende rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, m-m
Great Book. I have already bought the rest of series.
Wendy Gay
Wendy Gay rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Trish
Trish marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
SW
SW rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Le Tart
Le Tart rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Paul Anagnostos
Paul Anagnostos rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Jimmy
Jimmy marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
TK Waters
TK Waters marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Lizzz
Lizzz added it
May 24, 2016
Matthew Heil
Matthew Heil rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
IndolentEmollient
IndolentEmollient rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Saba
Saba marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
alxxla
alxxla marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
C
C marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Katherine
Katherine rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2016
Sarah James
Sarah James rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Charles
Charles rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2015
Varecia
Varecia marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I've wanted to be an author since I was in second grade and fell in love with "The Three Musketeers", which I read to pieces. It hasn't been a swashbuckling life exactly, but one full of surprises, including recently selling my literary papers to Michigan State University's Libraries.

Since second grade, I've loved all sorts of books and have ended up writing nineteen books in many genres: memoir,
More about Lev Raphael...

Nick Hoffman (8 books)
  • The Edith Wharton Murders (Nick Hoffman, #2)
  • The Death of a Constant Lover (Nick Hoffman, #3)
  • Little Miss Evil (Nick Hoffman, #4)
  • Burning Down the House (Nick Hoffman, #5)
  • Tropic of Murder (Nick Hoffman, #6)
  • Hot Rocks (Nick Hoffman, #7)
  • Assault with a Deadly Lie (Nick Hoffman, #8)

“had only been at SUM a year,” 0 likes