Big Girl Knits : 25 Big, Bold Projects Shaped for Real Women with Real Curves

Big Girl Knits : 25 Big, Bold Projects Shaped for Real Women with Real Curves

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  280 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Big Girl Knits features twenty-five unique patterns for women size 14 and up. From flattering pullovers and sexy tees to sleek skirts and fun accessories, this book is overflowing with options for knitting up an entire wardrobe to compliment your shapely shape.

Part knitting instruction, part fashion guide, Big Girl Knits is packed with expert advice to help you make the m...more
Published April 18th 2006 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about Big Girl Knits , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Girl Knits

Leanne
I didn't love this book. I thought the patterns were drab, ill-fitting, and frumpy. Some of the tutorials (measuring, adjusting sock patterns, etc.) were great, but overall, there wasn't anything in here that inspired me.
This is what I wanted from the other large women knitting pattern book. The smallest size is a good size for me, and the customization instructions look do-able. The book is a celebration of hot bodies in knitwear and they separate patterns into three coded symbols for girls with large boobs, belly, or butt. I'm considered a boob girl, so I would knit things with deep necklines to show them off and flared hems to balance the top, with a lot of decreasing in the waist to show off that I actually...more
Sara
FINALLY FINALLY a book for girls that are plus sized, no irritating math to try to figure out if you can make a pattern work. I would recommend this book for curvy non-plus size girls too, as it's got invaluable tricks on how to shape a sweater to flatter your curves.

Patterns are divided up into three sub-genres - boobs, butt, or belly. If you carry weight in one of these areas more than the others, then it helps you choose what would flatter you the most. And the thing I love? They are GUIDELIN...more
Halifaxious
The tone is friendly and engaging. The section on how and where to measure is detailed and relatively straightforward. The book does best when it's describing qualitatively (e.g. short rows are added to make a wedge shape...) rather than quantitatively (e.g. (TND - F)/2... ). The math is solid, stepwise and correct but the presentation is stretched out over several pages with multitudes of acronyms. If you find yourself losing track, draw yourself a schematic and label it with all the acronyms.[...more
Kathy Kramer
Feb 13, 2013 Kathy Kramer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: knitters, knitters who like to alter patterns
Shelves: crafts, knitting
I bought this book when I was heavier and while I have lost weight since then, this is still a useful book, especially if you're a knitter who likes to alter patterns. This book has useful info on what is flattering for those who are size 14 and above. It includes advice on everything from how to measure, how to size, what yarns are best (and it's not bulky), what shapes look the most flattering, etc. You can take much of the information in the front of the book and apply it to other patterns. P...more
Deodand
This book is worth owning, more for the instructions than the patterns. The patterns didn't thrill me - they almost went for too much flash with weird construction techniques. I don't always agree that the larger woman needs a big open neckline, either. It depends on how much balance you have between the shoulders and the bust.

The sections for learning how to size yourself are great - and the handy dandy formulas will have you reaching for this book more than once, even when you are working on s...more
Dionne
I enjoyed actually reading the knitting instructions in the first chapter and look forward to having a measuring party of my own very soon. I wasn't super thrilled by the patterns but considering I've never knit a sweater for myself, I am looking forward to attempting a few of these. Still it's worth it and may help me alter other more appealing sweater patterns in the future. For now wish me luck!
Meg
The how-to-size information is pretty much indisputably great. The patterns do err on the complicated side -- since there are so few books with patterns for big ladies, possibly it would have been reasonable to include a few basic, easily-modified sweaters (in the way of the Stitch n Bitch practice patterns -- practice darts & ease on a basic V neck before you bust your ass on some of the textures here).
Sabra
Fantastic! Usually I look at pattern books and see one or two projects I like making me feel I'd waste my money for the couple of items. This book is the opposite - such a bang for the buck. Gorgeous items that I know will look great on me because they look fabulous on the big girls in the book! The cover photo says it all for me.
Jeanette Noechel
Truly a great resource for plus size knitters.
Miss Mouse
It's an OK book. I didn't see many designs that actually moved me. I thought it was interesting that a book of knitting patterns for a more voluptuous body were done by designers that could probably fit their entire body in one of the sleeves!
Tracey
Practical guide to making knits for the large gals and the first pages were informative on how to modify projects and what suits certain 'shapes' etc.

For some reason though I have not been inspired to try any of the patterns provided.
Maureen
Good-looking projects and good introductory information, but the knitting is very, very complicated. Too difficult for me. I'm fairly new to knitting, but even so I don't think ever, in my knitting life, would I ever, ever attempt these.
Biggirlblue
Aug 10, 2008 Biggirlblue rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: experienced knitters
It's a great book for experienced knitters. While it does show how to alter patterns it is not a how-to book for beginners by any means. But it would be a good resource to work up to. Because the patterns rock!
Susanne
Love it Love it Love it and working on a sweater for myself from the book at this very moment - OK it is part of my WIPs at the moment but I will finish it.
Tammy
I liked both of these books, but this one more so than the second. Currently working up the cardy with the hoodie and celtic band.
Tsimplekelly
Good information, but I did not like the patterns, probably because they were a bit young, looking for something more mature...
Nov 09, 2010 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who knits
Even if you're not a "big girl" the tutorials on knitting for a woman's curves should be useful to you.

A book I'm glad to own.
Lisa
Not really any patterns I'd knit in it, but lots of good information in the beginning.
Ginny
Finally! A pattern book for larger sizes! The sweaters in here are beautiful.
Kathy Vogelhuber
Good looking patterns for real women! Currently making the Bombshell out of it.
Suzanne
Great ideas for shaping flaterring knits for larger women.
Christy Porter
Excellent discussion of short-row shaping and fun projects.
Fangirl
Nice patterns for Big Girls.
Natalie
Great patterns...
Lissaleo
Lissaleo marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
  • The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Scarf Style
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points & Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • No Sheep for You
  • More Sensational Knitted Socks
  • Charted Knitting Designs: A Third Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Folk Shawls
  • Fitted Knits: 25 Designs for the Fashionable Knitter
  • Victorian Lace Today
  • Cables Untangled: An Exploration of Cable Knitting
  • Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles: A Manual of Elegant Knitting Techniques and Patterns
  • The Opinionated Knitter
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures
  • Folk Socks: The History & Techniques of Handknitted Footwear
  • Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks!
More Big Girl Knits: 25 Designs Full of Color and Texture for Curvy Women