Start by marking “The Silent Assassin” as Want to Read:
The Silent Assassin

The Silent Assassin (Dr. Alexandra Blake #2)

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  109 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Published May 15th 2007 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Assassin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silent Assassin

Rebecca McNutt
Apr 17, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
Incredibly interesting and well-written, I loved the author's choices of words. This book drags on at times but overall it's a gripping story.
Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount)
The writing in the beginning part of this book put me off, but once I got into it I liked the science and procedural elements in this novel, and the fact that the lead character is female. The author, at least fro her bio in the cover flap, seems like a reasonably good source for information about forensic genetics analysis, and I love the idea of books that make modern science more real and accessible to the general public. The writing is a bit awkward at times, with character biographical triv ...more
Jan
May 02, 2013 Jan rated it really liked it
A young doctor, working for the Government is given a new task. Find out who the skulls are. They have been brought back from the Vietnam war as trophies, and they are going to be returned to the Vietnamese Government, in a ceremony at the White House, and also MIA remains will be exchanged at the same time.

Dr. Alex Blake is linked to Vietnam in many ways, she is a Gold Star Child, her young father died there at the age of 25 during the Vietnam War, many people do not know this about Alex. She k
Susan
When a John Doe with a bayonet wound in his chest is discovered in a Washington, D.C. alley, geneticist Dr. Alexandra Blake of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology is pulled away from her bioterrorism work to aid in the investigation. Just a little digging reveals a corpse that's not at all that of the homeless robbery victim it was set up to resemble---and Alex and her colleagues find themselves wrapped up in a complicated mystery of high-stakes international financial intrigue.

The homicide
Mary
Feb 17, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
The homicide
Kit Howard
Mar 21, 2015 Kit Howard rated it liked it
Reasonable story, though I found it implausible that a geneticist would have been included in that way in police investigations. Some of the science was more than a bit of a stretch as well. But it passed the time.
Gail
Aug 01, 2015 Gail rated it it was amazing
Good book
Kristy
Jul 23, 2012 Kristy rated it liked it
Shelves: lori-andrews
In general books in this series are easy, interesting reads. The main character, Alexandra Blake, is an MD-PhD geneticist who works at Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (AFIP). This means there's a fair amount of science involved in each mystery, and generally some history as well.

This particular story revolves around "Trophy Skulls" that American soldiers brought back from Vietnam. For the first time we get some backstory about Alex's father who served in Vietnam.
Corky
Mar 09, 2010 Corky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2010
Dr. Alexandra Blake is a geneticist specializing in analyzing minute traces of DNA. She is currently on loan to the government from her much loved teaching position. In this story she is asked to try to identify several skulls from Viet Nam that have surfaced in the US. Because she does not do anything halfway, she finds herself "knee deep" in subterfuge, espionage, treachery, and several layers of cover ups.
Maree
Dec 03, 2008 Maree rated it really liked it
After a sex scene in the very beginning, the book was quite good. I've never read this author before, and I enjoy a good medical thriller. This was from a different vantage point. Seemed like historical fiction too, all the better. Good mystery, lots of plot twists. Took awhile to get who's who straight though.
Peter
Jan 21, 2009 Peter rated it really liked it
This was a cool book. It had a genetic study twist that links everything together. This is probably an author that I would like to read her next book as well.
Anne
Jan 01, 2013 Anne rated it liked it
Decent mystery but too much sexy inuendo for my taste. Didn't really need to be there to keep the story interesting or to keep me reading.
Gea
Feb 06, 2014 Gea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Ook dit was weer een goed boek van Lori Andrews. Ik wil ook haar nieuwe boek Immuun nog lezen maar eerst even Ripper van Isabel Allende.
Meg Adams
Mar 24, 2010 Meg Adams rated it really liked it
I expected this to be an "O.K read", but was delighted to find myself ingulfed in the book. It's a page turner and very suspencial.
Oct 07, 2007 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down. literally... I lost sleep over it!
Lindig
May 18, 2011 Lindig rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Realized pretty quickly that I'd read it before.
Alaiah
Apr 07, 2009 Alaiah added it
Good Suspense
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie added it
Jan 26, 2016
Margaret Von Bevern
Margaret Von Bevern marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Allie Bertera
Allie Bertera is currently reading it
Jan 16, 2016
Word
Word rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Jerry
Jerry rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Rocky Marsh
Rocky Marsh marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Ramsha
Ramsha marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Free Agent
  • Cold River
  • Checking Out
  • Take, Burn or Destroy (Charles Hayden, #3)
  • Shadow of His Wings (The Appomattox Saga, #6)
  • Proceed with Caution (Duty Series, #4)
  • You Came For Me
  • If I Should Die
  • Code Word
  • So Shines the Night
  • Lonestar Homecoming (Lonestar Series, #3)
  • Two Brides Too Many (The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek, #1)
  • Love in Disguise
  • The Solitary Envoy (Heirs of Acadia, #1)
  • Fire Storm (Young Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • Cold Plague
Lori Andrews is a law professor, a public interest lawyer and mystery novelist. She’s taught at Princeton, written for a television legal drama, and advised governments around the world about emerging technologies. Now she’s focusing on how social networks are changing our lives, for good and for ill.

Lori started her consumer activism when she was seven and her Ken doll went bald. Her letter to M
More about Lori Andrews...

Dr. Alexandra Blake (3 books)
  • Sequence