Start by marking “Blessing in Disguise (Red River of the North, #6)” as Want to Read:
Blessing in Disguise (Red River of the North, #6)

Blessing in Disguise (Red River of the North #6)

4.37  ·  Rating Details ·  1,283 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Her first mistake was emigrating alone. Was this one even worse?
Augusta Bjorklund, after discovering her intended bridegroom married someone else, decided to leave her broken heart in Norway and start a new life in America. But knowing no English, Augusta misunderstands a ticket agent's directions in St. Paul, Minnesota, and in the harried confusion, she boards the wrong
Published February 1st 2007 by Bethany House (first published November 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Blessing in Disguise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blessing in Disguise

Christy
Dec 11, 2014 Christy rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
While this was not my favorite of the Blessing series; nor do I think this was the ending I was looking for after having read five previous books! I am still glad I read the Blessing series. My favorites will remain An Untamed Heart and An Untamed Land. Ingeborg was my upmost favorite to read about and Hjelmer my least. I was sad Ingeborg did not make it into this book much; but I really enjoy the flow and light romance that has accompanied this series. It's not cheesy or flowery or overly descr ...more
Catherine
Skipped everything besides the main story line because I found everything else boring.
Tammy
Jan 27, 2017 Tammy rated it really liked it
Characters: Augusta Bjorklund, Kane Moyer
Setting: Ipswich, SD and Blessing, ND 1889
Just finished this series about the Bjorklund family. Really enjoyed this one about Augusta and would like to revisit her later. I will take a break for a while, then I will start the next series.
Michele
Jan 08, 2017 Michele rated it it was amazing
Better than #5 in the series! I devoured this one!
Kathryn
Dec 31, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Michelle Matthews-Calloway
May 21, 2016 Michelle Matthews-Calloway rated it did not like it
I listened to this book on audio, and the minutiae of details nearly drove me to drink! The scenes at the Ranch were infinitely MORE interesting than the scenes in Blessing - and that's saying a LOT!

The premise started out well, with Agusta not knowing how to speak English, getting off at the wrong station, etc., but hearing, "Oh, if she could only understand what he was saying!" repeated for what seemed to be a million times - got OLD VERY QUICKLY.

The Norwegian words for "Thank you" was also
Georgianne
Oct 25, 2014 Georgianne rated it really liked it
Ahhhhh, well I certainly did love this series, and the many characters have come to feel like family to me. This last book ended rather abruptly and I was hoping for more of a wrap-up, as there were some loose ends with no resolution. I know that some of the characters carry over into several new series, so I am looking forward to some of my curiosities being satisfied there.

Lauraine Snelling is such a wonderful author, and her stories are filled with so much historical detail and interesting f
Allan67
Oct 06, 2015 Allan67 rated it it was amazing
Another book read to the wife. She loves to be read to, she always has. Reading is one of the few things that we can do together

Diana liked this book and quickly gave it a five star rating. I thought it was quiet good as well, so I didn't argue with her.

The story is something of a comedy of errors. If you read book five, you will know that Hjelmer's mother Bridget wanted to open a boarding house in Blessing. The menfolk built her a building and now she has her boarding house, but needs help to
Carol
Jul 21, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing
I had read this before, & really enjoyed the story of confusion & God's leading.

The Prologue is a letter from Oslo, Norway dated July 3, 1889 from Asta Borsland to Mr. Moyer. She thanks him for the tickets to his ranch, & informs him that she will be changing her arrival time from September 1 to October 1, so he will not have to meet the train on September 1, 1889.

The story starts in Blessing, North Dakota on July 3, 1889. Bridget Bjorklund was not looking forward to repeating the sa
May 04, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Sixth book in the Red River Of The North series. I found this book to be rather good and it happens to be the last of this series. Augusta Bjorklund was called, by her mother, to come to America from Norway. Not speaking any English, she travels to what she thought was Blessing, North Dakota. Kane has placed an order for a mail order bride coming by train. Similar in first in last name and looks, he assumes Augusta is his bride to be. Augusta thinks she is signing a paper for her citizenship whe ...more
Jeni Enjaian
Again I return to an old favorite, Lauraine Snelling. As a teenager I read her young adult novels voraciously. I loved horses...admit it...what teenage girl doesn't love those beautiful creatures. :D

The three books of hers that I checked out from the library this round were the third, fifth and sixth in the series. I accidentally picked up the sixth book from my own pile and just started reading.

To be honest, save for a few details about various relationships in the book I did not find myself at
Pegg
Aug 16, 2014 Pegg rated it it was amazing
Excellent end to this series! Or is it? Lauraine Snelling completes the stories of the main characters while leaving the door wide open for several more books to follow.

Augusta Bjorklund comes to America to help her mother run the boarding house in Blessing. Against all the advice she gets, she refuses to learn English before she boards the ship. Once on America's shore, she realizes how large the country is - and how non-Norwegian. A mix-up with the trains lands her on a ranch in South Dakota,
Vicki Andrada
Jun 08, 2015 Vicki Andrada rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Like all of this series it was awesome! No one can write a book with simple people talking in simple conversation, and make it so interesting as Lauraine Snelling can! I loved these Characters! They begin to feel like family to you! She weaves some of the best romance stories!

She also never fails to put God in her books, reminding us that tough times may come, but he is always there for us! I love that about her writing! This book was no exception of her showing God's love!

I
Midge
The last and the best of the series. Most of the book is about another Borkland sister coming to America but did not learn english first, she gets on the wrong train and ends up in the wrong town of Ipswich, SD where there is a man waiting for his mail-order bride. He thinking she is the bride, and she does not understand his intentions so goes with him to the judge thinking she is becoming a U S citizen and not realizing they are getting married. Meanwhile her Mom in Blessing wonders what has h ...more
Mom
Dec 19, 2014 Mom rated it it was amazing
This one had an interesting twist with Augusta getting on the wrong train and marrying a man and she doesn't know what is happening because she can't speak English. Quite the romance of if it is going to work out before Hjelmer comes to find her. Interesting how author has woven in history of tractors being made and windmills. Hard life living off the land - people kept very busy that is for sure. Always something that needed done - havesting, hunting, canning, gardening, school, even time for p ...more
Dee Renee  Chesnut
May 31, 2014 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Blessing in Disguise is the sixth novel in the Red River of the North series, and I finished reading it in a day. As with most family trees there are so many characters, the author does not have much space to work the updates into the story of Augusta Bjorklund emigrating to North Dakota and ending up in South Dakota.
I recommend the series to all readers who want entertainment with history of Dakotah territory.
Deb
Jan 29, 2014 Deb added it
Another family member moves to America & instantly regrets not learning English when she ends up at a ranch instead of at her mother's boarding house! Thinking she was being made a citizen she signs papers & leaves with the young man who met her at the train station. HE doesn't speak Norweigan but sent for a mail order bride from Norway - when Augusta gets off the train he assumes she's the bride to be. Can you say Uff Da?!
Genifer Price
Jan 05, 2015 Genifer Price rated it really liked it
I loved this series, absolutely loved it, could not put it down. I did love this book too, however it is the last in the series (I believe) and there are so many loose ends, too many. The story is good but it seemed almost pointless unless Snelling wasnt going to make more of the main charachters in this book with either another book or another series altogether... unless she did and Im missing something.
Massanutten Regional Library
Linda, Central patron, July 2016, 5 stars:

This is the sixth book in the saga of the Bjorklund family and Blessing, ND. A new relative decides to emigrate to America but she speaks no English and proceeds to get off train in a small town in SD and actually mistakenly marries someone. Follow her journey and her family's distress in Blessing wondering where she is and what happened to her.
Debi Helgren
Dec 03, 2015 Debi Helgren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm ready for more...

I have read all 6 in this series and I am ready for more! I could anticipate some of the twists and turns, but I was also surprised by some of them. I have enjoyed the series as my ancestors immigrated from Norway. Every time the families prayed "I Jesus navn ...", I prayed right along with them!
Mypupdaisy
May 19, 2014 Mypupdaisy rated it it was ok
** Spoilers ** Last book of the series. It was a let down. No way did someone get married and not know it. Back then, they wanted to make sure other men knew this was their Wife and would have produced a ring of some type. My Grandmother said they would even use a cigar ring if needed. She would have realized immediately what had happened. I sped through it just to get to the end.
Margaret
My second reading of this book. I enjoyed it and the three stars remain. I do believe that I would have liked a more focused telling of the story rather than jumping back and forth between several stories. Most times I don't mind but in this case I think I rather have had Augusta and Dane's story to be the main focus. With that being stated, I still love Lauraine Snelling's books.
Heidi
Jan 11, 2009 Heidi rated it really liked it
One of my favorite in the Red River of the North series. As the author takes us from one location to another in the book, I almost want to skip chapters and find out what happens to the woman who finds out she has been mistaken for a mail order bride. She really should have learned the language before she tried to immigrate and join the rest of her family in America.
Eveline Evans
Aug 27, 2012 Eveline Evans rated it liked it
this is book six in a series and although the main character's story line is easy to follow there is a lot of other people in the book that you have no idea who they are. I needed a character list at the front of the book to help explain what was going on.
Sandi Wittenberg
Nov 07, 2015 Sandi Wittenberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blessing in Disguise

Once again Lauraine has woven a love story that brings the family of the Bjorklund's to life. A good reminder that hardships and mistakes are often blessings in disguise.
Melissa
Feb 21, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
Easy read. I have really enjoyed this series although this being the last I found myself wanting to know more about what happens to certain characters but was informed that the story continues with another series "Return to Red River" which I will be starting immediately.
Rachel
Jun 09, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was a well-written Christian historical novel. The characters were well drawn and engaging, and the plot was interesting. I really enjoyed it. This was the last novel of this series, but I am looking forward to reading the series that spin off from this one about the same family group.
Karen Singrey
Great Series

This is a wonderful finish to this family story. I will borrow the next set of books about Blessing, ND from the library. Mrs Smelling has a wonderful way of telling a story and bringing the years to life.
Rebecca Cordova
Jul 16, 2008 Rebecca Cordova rated it did not like it
This has been my least fave of the series as the story was a bit unbelievable...I know it is fiction but still. Decide for yourself if a mail order bride mix up can happen due to language barrier..(???)
Hope
I closed the book and said, "Seriously, it's over?" LOL! It's really not, I know there are more books in the other series that are related to this one so I'll see all my dear friends again. I *LOVE* this series, all the books! :-)
  • Where Willows Grow (Heart of the Prairie #10)
  • Drums of Change: The Story of Running Fawn
  • Doctor in Petticoats (Sophie's Daughters, #1)
  • A Promise to Believe In (The Brides of Gallatin County, #1)
  • Dawn of the Golden Promise (Emerald Ballad #5)
  • The Night Angel (Heirs of Acadia, #4)
  • Love Finds You in Lonesome Prairie, Montana
  • A Hope Beyond (Ribbons of Steel, #2)
Lauraine Snelling is the award-winning author of over seventy books, with sales of more than 2 million copies.

She also writes for a wide range of magazines, and helps others reach their writing dreams by teaching at writers’ conferences across the country.

Lauraine and her husband, Wayne, have two grown sons, and live in the Tehachapi Mountains with a watchdog Basset named Winston.

They love to tra
More about Lauraine Snelling...

Red River of the North (6 books)
  • An Untamed Land (Red River of the North, #1)
  • A New Day Rising (Red River of the North, #2)
  • A Land to Call Home (Red River of the North, #3)
  • The Reapers Song (Red River of the North, #4)
  • Tender Mercies (Red River of the North, #5)

“Franklin can see you. How long has she been missing?” “Four days.” It felt like forever.” 0 likes