Start by marking “T.E.T., Teacher Effectiveness Training” as Want to Read:
T.E.T., Teacher Effectiveness Training

T.E.T., Teacher Effectiveness Training

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The quality of a teacher's interpersonal relationships -- with students, parents and administrators -- directly affects how well they facilitate learning and manage their classrooms. This book describes and illustrates the skills and procedures teachers need in order to foster the cooperation and motivation of students, conduct productive teacher-parent conferences and ear ...more
Published November 1st 1974 by P. H. Wyden (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about T.E.T., Teacher Effectiveness Training, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about T.E.T., Teacher Effectiveness Training

Though this was written in the 70's, this book opened my eyes to how to make students responsible for their own decisions, how to let them know I heard what they said without judgment from me, how to not accept others' problems as my own (BIG idea for me). This was my first indepth look into NOT praising (a roadblock for real communication...go figure)and not interjecting my input and biases into the mix of someone else's problems, but to trust them to figure out their own solutions. I resisted ...more
The typical program for "classroom management" focuses either on discipline (how to be assertive and fair) or procedures (how to plan ahead to avoid problems). These are both useful tools, but there is a subtext to these discussions: the ideal classroom is free of conflict, and if there is conflict, it is either the fault of the teacher or the student. But, as any real teacher will tell you, a classroom free of conflict is a fantasy.

Students and teachers can't help but bring their clashing value
There were really practical suggestions for any interaction with other humans -- what can be found in here is not just limited to classrooms and teacher/student relationships. Active Listening is the most interesting aspect from this book for me. I'm going to pay much more attention to the attention I give others.
T.E.T. Teacher Effectiveness Training has been in my personal collection of professional books for many years. It offers so many helpful suggestions about learning to listen to your students, value what they say and let them know how much you value them. I have used it for as a reference for many college papers for classes I have taken over the years. Communication skills are among the most important skills for a teacher (or anyone) to develop to accomplish our goals. T.E.T. is easy to read, wri ...more
Irem Karabulut
Eğitim bilimlerine giriş dersimizde hocamız bize bu kitabı önermişti ve ödevimiz de kendi alanımız üzerine yazılmış bir kitap okumak olduğu için bu kitabı uygun gördüm. Kitap öğretmenlik ile ilgili güzel şeylerden bahsetmiş. Öğretmenlere ve öğretmen adaylarına oldukça faydalı bir kitap bence tavsiye ederim. Kitaba 5 Kasım gibi başladım ve okuma sürecinde bana birşeyler kattığını belirtmek isterim. Günlük hayattan örneklerle, diyaloglarla da anlatım zenginleştirilmiştir. Öğrencilere nasıl davranı ...more
College textbook from years ago.
Elif Gökbudak
Etkili Öğretmenlik Eğitimi kitabı içerisinde öğretmen öğrenci ilişkilerine dair örnek olaylar vardı.Bu örnek olayları okuyup öğrendiğimde bende nasıl bir öğretmen olacağımı kurguladım.Kitaptaki bilgiler ve olaylar öğretmenlik duygusunu son derece hissettirebilecek nitelikte.Her eğitimcinin okuması gereken kitaplardan biri de Etkili Öğretmenlik Eğitimi kitabı olmalı bence.Kitaptaki kavram açıklamaları ve örnekler çok güzel bir şekilde ele alınmıştı.Tavsiye edilebilecek güzel bir kitap.
I found this interesting if not applicable to the school I work at. The material is a bit outdated - most schools don't do the 1960's style power-heavy teaching style anymore, but that part fit my school like a glove. On the other hand, I'm not teaching in a democracy, and my school is run like a business, so lots of the material about making students into active participants still doesn't apply.
I read this for my classroom management class during college, and while then I thought that I wouldn't use anything in this book, I proved myself wrong during my student teaching.
This book is very focused on "I" messages, which I used with 3rd graders and it worked very well. I employed some of the other strategies with success.
It's a great read for any person who works in a setting with children.
Ayşenur özbilir
bu tarz bir kitabı ilk defa okuyorum bir öğretmen adayı olarak etkili öğretmenlik eğitimi kitabı öğrenci öğretmen ilişkisini güzel bir şekilde ele almış ve örneklendirmeler yapılmış. kitap sadece bize değil hayatın içinde de çocuklarla iletişim anlamında herkese bir şeyler katabilecek nitelikte.
Thomas Yount
Wonderful book that relates to any teacher's teaching experiences. Goes over the struggles, road blocks, disciplining, communication, respect and offers perspectives for respecting students and yourself as a teacher and individual.
A very good read for teachers, highly recommended. Helps with class management and discipline. Very good info on i-messages, among other things.

Parents should read PET, Parent Effectiveness Training.
How to talk so that people will listen. This is helpful for teachers but also for all human beings who wish to communicate effectively with other human beings.
A little out dated and narrow.
Denyque Dennison
Denyque Dennison marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Shyaw Nawroly
Shyaw Nawroly marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Feyza Candan
Feyza Candan marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Michelle Nguyen
Michelle Nguyen marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Inga marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Stefano Spezia
Stefano Spezia marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Evgenia marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Mayada marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Ayca marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Neha Israney
Neha Israney marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Ana Tosic
Ana Tosic marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • English with an Accent: Language, Ideology and Discrimination in the United States
  • Learnability and Cognition: The Acquisition of Argument Structure
  • Fred Jones Tools for Teaching: Discipline, Instruction, Motivation.  Primary Prevention of Classroom Discipline Problems
  • The Articulate Mammal: An Introduction to Psycholinguistics
  • Language Myths
  • Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction, [Book, CD & DVD]
  • Miseducation: Preschoolers at Risk
  • Families and How to Survive Them
  • The Accelerated Learning Handbook: A Creative Guide to Designing and Delivering Faster, More Effective Training Programs
  • The Gentle Art of Verbal Self Defense at Work
  • Essential Linguistics: What You Need to Know to Teach Reading, ESL, Spelling, Phonics, and Grammar
  • Tribes: A New Way of Learning and Being Together
  • The Zen of Listening: Mindful Communication in the Age of Distraction
  • Waldorf Education: A Family Guide
  • The Systematic Design of Instruction
  • Active Learning: 101 Strategies to Teach Any Subject
  • The Linguistics Wars
  • Nonviolent Communication Companion Workbook: A Practical Guide for Individual, Group, or Classroom Study
Dr. Thomas Gordon was an American clinical psychologist, student and later colleague of Carl Rogers. He was mainly known for his Gordon Method, primarily a method to improve relationships between parents and children that was later developed into a general communication method to improve all relationships.

Dr. Gordon spent more than 50 years teaching parents, teachers and leaders the model he devel
More about Thomas Gordon...
Parent Effectiveness Training: The Proven Program for Raising Responsible Children Leader Effectiveness Training L.E.T.: The Proven People Skills for Today's Leaders Tomorrow Teaching Children Self-Discipline at Home and at School P.E.T. in Action Discipline That Works: Promoting Self-Discipline in Children