Start by marking “Bill of Wrongs: The Executive Branch's Assault on America's Fundamental Rights” as Want to Read:
Bill of Wrongs: The Executive Branch's Assault on America's Fundamental Rights

Bill of Wrongs: The Executive Branch's Assault on America's Fundamental Rights

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  56 reviews
In this, her final and perhaps greatest book, Molly Ivins launches a counterattack on the executive branch’s shredding of our cherished Bill of Rights. From illegal wiretaps and the unlawful imprisonment of American citizens to the creeping influence of religious extremism on our national agenda and the erosion of the checks and balances that prevent a president from seizi ...more
Published October 14th 2008 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Bill of Wrongs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bill of Wrongs

Paul
Many years ago, Ivins promised a friend that she would give a speech per month, for free, in some small town in America, in defense of free speech. This book, which turned out to be her last book, was going to celebrate those common people who decided to stand up and be counted. Watching what has happened to the Bill of Rights, America’s Supreme Law of the Land, due to the “War on Terror,” the book’s focus changed.

Jeff and Nicole Rank (she works for FEMA) were arrested on the grounds of the West
Mark
A fast read that will leave you outraged. The trouble with outrage, of course, is what to do with it. I think there is a danger now to trust a new administration will fix everything. But I would bet there is a great deal of institutional inertia. The ongoing efforts of the Secret Service to silence dissent in the name of protecting the president seems particularly insidious to me. Anyone got suggestions for affecting such policies?

The most appalling cases, of course, have more to do with invalid
Brian
Feb 24, 2008 Brian rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every American
Bill of Wrongs is the last book that Molly Ivins wrote (with co-author Lou Dubose), and while not as funny as Shrub or as flippant as Bushwhacked, it is just as, if not more, important as those two books.

This book is a clarion call for all those who care about the values upon which the United States of America was founded: freedom, equality, and justice. Through a number of case studies, the book explains in stark detail just how much damage has been done to the very fabric of our Republic.

Molly
Claudia
Excellent journalism on the Bush demolition of the U.S. constitution.
Doug Clark
Bill of Wrongs, subtitled The Executive Branch’s Assault on America’s Fundamental Rights by Molly Ivins and Lou Dubose is the final book that Ms. Ivins wrote prior to her untimely death from breast cancer on January 31, 2007. Ms. Ivins, a large woman in many ways was perfectly suited for the state she hailed from, Texas. Only a state as large as Texas could contain the spirit, humor and zest for life she had. And only Texas was large enough for her passion for people, good government, and respec ...more
Kate
"Throughout her long career of 'afflicting the comfortable and comforting the afflicted,' the cause closest to Molly Ivins heart was working to protect the freedoms we all value. Sadly, today we're living in a time when dissent is equated with giving aid to terrorists, when any of us can be held in prison without even knowing the charges against us, and when our constitutional rights are being interpreted by a president who calls himself 'The Decider.'

"Ivins got the idea for Bill of Wrongs while
le-trombone
God I miss Molly Ivins. A very sane person who knew the importance of just-the-facts reporting, but who was also enough of a stylist who could make you chuckle while you were shaking your head in disbelief.

The first sentence of the book says it all: "I set out to write this book as a cheerful and joyous tribute to all the heroes I have met over all the years, the folks who make the Bill of Rights more than just dead words on an old parchment." This is a collection of reports on the front lines o
James
Frightening and infuriating. Beyond the poignancy of knowing, while reading this book, that Molly Ivins had died of cancer just as it was being completed, the feeling that came through over and over was anger and disgust at the Bush administration's absolute contempt for the Constitution, the rule of law, human rights, human life, and any shred of integrity or decency.
The authors show, in a way that is thorough, systematic, and eloquent, that George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, and the people they brou
Mattie
If nothing else, this book is worth getting as a thank you and tribute to the life of the fabulous Molly Ivins. Ivins, who died of cancer in January 2007 cared passionately about the idea of America and the lives of Americans. She was frequently appalled by what she saw around her, yet never lost her faith in the system and in the good mass of folks out there to make the system work. She also never lost her sense of humor or appreciation for the irony of life.

Fortunately, there is ample reason t
Ingrid Erwin
This is the last book written by Molly Ivins (it was actually completed after her death). I bought the book as part of a "grocery bag for $10" at a book sale, and probably wouldn't have found it otherwise. Very interesting (and frightening) accounts of actions taken by the FBI and other government agencies that infringe on First Amendment rights.
Stacy
Feb 01, 2008 Stacy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone should read this for the good of our country
Recommended to Stacy by: D'Anne
In 2001 a man carrying a sign saying "Welcome Governor Bush" was arrested for standing on a public sidewalk in view of the newly-installed president's motorcade. This incident happened on the campus of my alma mater, Western Michigan University. I remember vaguely hearing about it at the time, and dismissed it as Republican bullshit I don't agree with but can't do anything about. It took Molly Ivins' book to put things in perspective: this was an outrageous violation of the right to free speech, ...more
Tei
Man, I hate the fact that Molly Ivins is now dead. She was half the reason I kept my subscription to the paper when I lived in Chicago, and this book reminds me why. It's terrifying; it's funny; it makes me want to go out there and become a judge so I can fix everything, but frankly I'm not that good. It does, however, make me want to be damned sure I have a lawyer who's in the habit of calling up every month just to be sure I haven't been thrown in the brig for associating with Pakistanis who k ...more
Tiffany
I adore Molly Ivins' writing. Sadly, she passed away in 2007, and this is her last book. As always, her sharp wit allowed me to actually enjoy reports of the unbelievably horrible (and unconstitutional and illegal) behavior by government officials over the past 10 years. Ivins is openly, and hilariously, critical of George W. Bush (aka Dub-ya and Shrub) and his administration, and for good reason; I won't to into the specifics because you can read them and become outraged on your own. Read, be a ...more
Gayle Gordon
I'm glad the Bush years are over, but some of these issues still persist. Molly Ivins tells the stories that the right wing might not want us to hear. All the complaints about Obama don't hold a candle to the kind of stuff that was going on during the previous administration.
Nicole Marble
Ah, more reality about the GW Bush administration. We should all read and learn.
Tiffany
I always give Molly Ivins 5 stars because her writing is hilarious and though-provoking and because she questions authority at every turn. And by "authority", I mean G.W. Bush (or Shrub, as she sweetly refers to him). These are well-researched essays on recent violations of our Constitutional rights by the national government, usually aided by local government representatives playing various roles. Ms. Ivins passed away before the book was published, but her co-author brought it to completion. R ...more
Fran
Molly Ivins - unabashedly liberal and passionate defender of civil liberties; with a homespun wit that stripped the veneer off much of the soundbites that masquerade as political wisdom - how bittersweet and comforting to read her words again. I absolutely love this book; partially because her words express so many of my thoughts and partially because reading them is like a chance to visit with an old friend who is gone and sorely missed.
Beetletheknee
Is it possible for a book to be both delightful and depressing? I like Molly Ivins and am sad that I discovered her so shortly before her death, but this book is downright sad. I mean, it's snarky and fun, but given the terrible consequences of the injustices she describes in the book, I can't say that I "enjoyed" reading it. You should probably read it anyway though. Just cause. And then vote in Nov.
Jen
Oh Molly, how we miss you. This book, despite as much humor as possible, is horrifying. It's preaching to the choir of course, but this choir is appalled anew at the Bush abuse. I was surprised to be reminded she died in 2007 -- could have sworn it was just last year or so. Wish she'd lived to see Obama elected. Anyway, if you're a Molly Ivans fan, read this. I've got a copy.
Paul Dinger
A true tragedy that Ms Ivins passed away, her wit will be missed. This is a systematic study of the abuses of power under the reign of George W. Bush. It is amazing how the very people who think we have a tryanny under Obama supported the very thing under Bush. Can you say hypocrite? This book is full of a totally comical irony that would be a lot funnier if it wasn't so true.
Nickie
Beware! I put this book down after reading the introduction.
I can imagine our first amendment rights have been violated by more then the present President. Or may be not. I don't really know yet.
However, this book written by a Liberal, (which would be ok I guess) uses what we call in our family garbage talk. I'm not reading a book with profanity.
Mike
One of her best and tragically, her last--she will be missed terribly since she did such a wonderful job keeping an eye on political misdeeds. This one traces the many ways our civil liberties are being undermined by this administration. The most memorable story concerns textbooks and "The Battle of the Bulge"--you'll have to read it for yourself.
Thomas Stevenson
Although this is not a new account, Bill of Wrongs is good place to start examining how the US government has eroded the Bill of Rights. Ivins and Dubose are hardly on the right but they raise the same alarms that Republicans make about loss of freedoms - admittedly using different data. In the age of drones, this is an important topic.
Scurvy Jay
Lazily edited, annoying populist voice, but no more biased than any other political writer out there. Ms. Ivins did have some interesting things to say about the W. Bush administration. Ivins lost the battle against breast cancer a few years ago, or I would certainly be interested in her thoughts on the new Obama administration.
Autumn
concise overview of specific examples of the bush administration's encroachment on our rights. the authors not only give examples but include the context of exactly WHY the "loyal bushies" (as they call them) acted unconstitutionally. the most chilling example to me was one man's five year stint at guantanamo for being muslim.
Beth
Oh, Molly Ivins, I miss you and your witty insights practically every day. This book is another reminder of what the world lost in January 2007. Fairly frightening stories balanced with humor and strong inspiration to fight all efforts to take away our constitutional rights. Brilliant as always, Ms. Ivins.
Sara Fitzgerald
Nov 21, 2007 Sara Fitzgerald rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jeff Ray
I have always loved Molly Ivins and really respect her insight and analysis. This is her last book (posthumous with Lou Dubose) and definitely should be on the readying list of everyone who disagrees with the Bush/Cheney assault on civil rights.
Linda
I miss Molly. This book was enlightening about our civil rights and how easily some of us are willing to give them up. The legal cases cited are excellent examples. As one defendent said "I thought the USA was a free speech zone."
Josh Kidder
Feb 01, 2008 Josh Kidder rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who wishes they didn't voted Bush/Cheney
Wow! If you want to be amazed and pissed off at our current presidency, then this is the book for you. There are a lot of interviews with people who have been in Guantanamo as prisoners and as inspectors.

A great book!
Bernie
Interesting look at the ramifications of the Patriot Act and President Bush's administration on our first and fourth Amendment rights. A little whiney and liberal-leaning, but overall a good read.
  • How Would a Patriot Act? Defending American Values from a President Run Amok
  • Takeover: The Return of the Imperial Presidency and the Subversion of American Democracy
  • Worse Than Watergate: The Secret Presidency of George W. Bush
  • Armed Madhouse: From Baghdad to New Orleans--Sordid Secrets and Strange Tales of a White House Gone Wild
  • The Fall of the House of Bush: How a Group of True Believers Put America on the Road to Armageddon
  • Smells Like Dead Elephants: Dispatches from a Rotting Empire
  • The Republican Noise Machine: Right-Wing Media and How It Corrupts Democracy
  • What Liberal Media?: The Truth about Bias and the News
  • Truth and Consequences: Special Comments on the Bush Administration's War on American Values
  • Republican Gomorrah: Inside the Movement that Shattered the Party
  • Big Lies: The Right-Wing Propaganda Machine and How It Distorts the Truth
  • The Bush Dyslexicon: Observations on a National Disorder
  • A Time to Fight: Reclaiming a Fair and Just America
  • Going Rouge: Sarah Palin, An American Nightmare
  • This Land Is Their Land: Reports from a Divided Nation
  • Bushworld
  • The Problem of the Media: U.S. Communication Politics in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Thirteen American Arguments: Enduring Debates That Define and Inspire Our Country
American newspaper columnist, political commentator, and best-selling author from Austin, Texas.

More about Molly Ivins...
Bushwhacked: Life in George W. Bush's America Shrub: The Short but Happy Political Life of George W. Bush Molly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She? You Got to Dance with Them What Brung You Who Let the Dogs In?: Incredible Political Animals I Have Known