Start by marking “First Meetings: In Ender's Universe” as Want to Read:
First Meetings: In Ender's Universe

First Meetings: In Ender's Universe (The Ender Quintet 0.5)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  10,254 Ratings  ·  530 Reviews
Welcome to the Enderverse.

When Orson Scott Card first published "Ender's Game" as a novella in 1977, few would have predicted that it would become one of the most successful ventures in publishing history. Expanded into a novel in 1985, Ender's Game won both the Hugo Award and the Nebula Award for Best Novel. Never out of print and translated into dozens of languages, it i
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published September 1st 2004 by Macmillan Audio (first published July 1st 2002)

D.C.
Mar 24, 2009 D.C. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading the background stories to Ender's Parents, but was sad when their story stopped so abruptly. They barely have one good day together, and it's like Paul Harvey steps in with his famous tag line, "and now you know the rest of the story". I wanted more, and felt robbed. Then the story quickly jumps (no transition) to a portion that seemed to have come straight out of Ender's Game, only there were discrepancies. There's a discrepancy with Graff's character and his age(within this boo ...more
Heather
May 19, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When this first came out, I was a little miffed at old Orson for dragging out the highly successful and (to me) hallowed Ender saga for one more flogging, so I refused to read it. However, somehow it wound up in my possession (as book-shaped things are wont to do), and I'm glad I gave in.

I've always felt that Card had at least two very interesting and valuable talents: one is creating fleshy, breathy characters (in a good way), and another is having interesting ideas about all sorts of things,
Carl
Oct 19, 2009 Carl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me preface this review by saying that Ender's Game is my favorite book and has been for almost 20 years. As such Orson Scott Card is one of my favorite authors, First Meetings, a collection of meetings of primary charters in the Enderverse is a good example of just how good of a writer Card is. Oddly I had thought I had read the book already but when I picked it up I realized it was made up of several short stories, some of which I had yet to read. The book is made up of "The Polish Boy", th ...more
Andreea Daia
Apr 24, 2012 Andreea Daia rated it really liked it
Quick and dirty reading notes and (i)relevant thoughts
(For my first "review" under this logo, there are going to be fewer reading notes and more thoughts, since I found something very vexing about this collection of short stories.)

✐ Although this is listed as the first book in the series, I'm glad I read it only after Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. The stories range from 40 years before to 300 after the events from Ender's Game and they would be utterly confusing to a new reader.

✐ The
Randy
Nov 30, 2016 Randy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four short stories from the "Enderverse" in one volume. Three of the stories are "origin" stories in a way - how Ender's dad was recruited by the Fleet as a child, how Ender's dad met Ender's mom (characters who barely rated a mention in the original series but had a more prominent role in the "Shadow" series) and how Jane met Ender for the first time. Also included is the original "Ender's Game" short story which Card later expanded into the full-length Award-Winning novel of the same name. The ...more
✿ ❀ ❂ ❄ʘ ※✿ ❀ ❂ ❄Only♥ ♡Audrey✿ ❀ ❂ ❄ʘ ※✿ ❀ ❂ ❄ʘ
description

This prequel was not developed enough to make me crave the first book in the series but it was not bad either so I will move on the next book. I hope it blows me away.

PSXtreme
Sep 02, 2016 PSXtreme rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the Ender Series
Shelves: audiobook
This book gets a mixed review. Made up of 3 short stories, along with the ORIGINAL 1977 version of Ender's Game, the book presents its best foot first with an introduction into the background of Ender's parents. The first gives you a look at Ender's Father as a small boy living in Poland. The second gives you a window into the meeting and courtship of Ender's Parents. I found both of these stories very compelling (and originally thought them to be one combined tale) and just as interesting as th ...more
Lindsey
May 17, 2009 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, short-story
Ender's Game fascinates me. I always go back and back and back to it. I've heard from many different people, all sci-fi lovers to varying degrees, their opinions on Orson Scott Card's Ender series and the majority of these folks caution me not to waste my time reading further into the series - reportedly the books grow weaker and lean more heavily on the past books.

Here's the thing though - I'm not finding that to be true at all. They're riffing off each other, sure. But that's the best part! I
Melissa (ladybug)
There were a few discrepancies in this book compared to the Books Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow.

(view spoiler)

Otherwise this was a very enjoyable book of four novellas. I loved l
John
A collection of interesting but frivolous stories set in the Enderverse. Find out why Ender's father immigrated to America. Find out how Ender's parents first met. Find out how Ender hooked up with Jane. And read the story of ENDER'S GAME back before it got fleshed out into a novel.
Or don't. Because these stories aren't necessary to fully understand and enjoy the rest of the series. Still, fans of the Enderverse will find FIRST MEETINGS a treasure trove of world-building.
Virginia
Just read this again last night! My favorite short story in here is "The Investment Counselor" where we first encounter Jane. She is awesome and the comeuppance of Benedetto is particularly sweet. I love the Enderverse!

Read 11/2013
5/2014
Paulo
Jan 29, 2017 Paulo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myscifi
Another fantastic book from the genius Orson Scott Card: a collection of short stories to discover the story behind the Bugger's war or the Xenocide.

How Ender's father meet each other, the war and what happened to Ender and Valentine after the war.

You feel the touch of a talended writer in these pages.
Jeff Yoak
Aug 05, 2009 Jeff Yoak rated it liked it
First Meetings is a series of short stories detailing stories of major and minor characters of the Enderverse from before the time of Ender's Game. Overall, I found it a good read, though I enjoyed some of the stories enormously more than others.

One of my favorites was Mazer in Prison which details Mazer's decision to fly away at relativistic speeds, abandoning his family, to be still alive and able to train the unknown future commander of the human fleet. During his flight with ancible communic
Chad Warner
May 24, 2015 Chad Warner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Ender's Game
Recommended to Chad by: John Kaashoek
This collection of four fun short stories about Ender and his parents gives interesting background info. The stories are pretty good, but too short to really get into. Still, they're worth reading for any Enderverse fan.

The Polish Boy
This is about six-year-old John Paul Wiggin in Poland. There’s a lot of talk about government and religion. (view spoiler)
Al Astronomo
I'm in one of those I-don't-actually-give-a-fuck states after reading not-so-interesting stories, so forgive me for my indifference if you actually liked this specific novella.

Note: This doesn't actually spoil the second book for you, hence it's book #1.5 in the saga. The first two chapters happen before the time Ender's Game takes place, the third chapter is a quick recap of its second half, and the last is the filler between its ending and the beginning of Speaker for the Dead.

This book novell
Dan
Aug 15, 2007 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Ender's Game
There were four short stories in this book. One story about Ender's Father's first encounter with the International Fleet Officer Graff, who runs the battle school. One story about when Ender's parents met. One story about when Ender met the artificial intelligence program Jane. And the original ender's game story.

All the stories were well written and entertaining. Also, they lent more depth and history to Ender's Universe. The Short Story version of Ender's Game is worth reading to compare and
Adam Heine
Mar 30, 2009 Adam Heine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure why I avoided this book for so long. I think because I'm not a fan of short story collections. But the stories in this collection are not random; they're not old short's by Card that happened to occur in Ender's universe. They're connections. They tie together various threads in the series that I didn't even know were loose.

There are four stories. The first two give backstory to Ender's parents, their own genius, and even their connection with Graff and the IF. The third is the orig
Lorri-lynne
Mar 20, 2009 Lorri-lynne rated it really liked it
I actually listened to the Audible version. This is a good introduction to the Ender Universe, although most people would probably prefer to read it after the series, since all of the stories contained here are spread througout the series.
We see hear how Ender's father manipulated the government to get what he wants. We get to see how Ender's parents first meet, and how they may have been manipulated to produce Ender. We see Ender as a young man, just coming into his majority with the responsibi
Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Magnus ♥
I really enjoyed the first 2 stories about Ender's father, John Paul. Especially the second, where he meets Ender's mother, Theresa. His father was named after Pope John Paul II. Was his mother named after Mother Theresa?

The third story was my least favourite. It features Ender when his is twenty, on a new colony world and tax worker tries to steal from him. It is also in this story that Ender first meets Jane.

The last story was the original Ender's Game short story. Needless to say it was great
Myndi
Jul 02, 2015 Myndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm torn between wishing I'd read this book prior to Ender's Game, and being glad that I mistakenly read it afterwards. I enjoyed the additional information and had I read it before Ender's Game, I might have been confused as to what was going on. There are also parts of this novella that happen during other parts of Ender's Game, so knowing how those scenes played out was helpful. I'm finding that I am very intrigued by Ender's Universe and can't wait to keep reading more.
Megan
Jul 08, 2007 Megan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
I liked "The Polish Boy," and I'd already read and enjoyed "Investment Counselor" in another collection (though I think it does re-write some of the main characters' histories a bit). "Teacher's Pest," however, irritated me quite a bit. I liked and admired Ender's parents in the series proper, but I found John Paul insufferably smug and condescending in this story. And Theresa just...gave in to it! The story took two characters I admired and made me really dislike them both.
Inspired Kathy
Oct 26, 2009 Inspired Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
My 100th book this year! I loved this book. I've come to totally love Orson Scott Card's books in the Ender's series. This was 4 short stories including the original short story Ender's Game and then we got to meet Ender's Father as a child, find out how Ender's parents met and how Ender first met Jane. Fun reading for any Ender fan.
Connor Wood
Jul 31, 2016 Connor Wood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four short stories in one: Ender's Father meeting Colonel Graff, Ender's Father meeting Ender's Mother, Ender meeting Jane, and an abbreviated version of "Ender's Game."

My favorite by far was Ender's Father meeting Ender's Mother. "Enderverse" is known for incredible minds applied to science and tactics; This however, is extremely smart people flirting and it's very funny and impressive.
Geoff Paulson
The strength of some short stories countered by the weakness of others in this collection. The most disappointing being the story of how Ender met Jane.
Othoniel Hernandez
Jan 15, 2017 Othoniel Hernandez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, 5-estrellas
Este libro contiene 4 relatos sobre los primeros encuentros de ciertos personajes del Universo de Ender con toda la mitología creada por Orson Scott Card.

1. El niño Polaco: Nos cuenta sobre el padre de Ender, John Paul, y como la Flota Internacional se dio cuenta del potencial que tenía para ser un genio en la batalla. También se explica como la familia de John Paul dejó Polonia para llegar a Estados Unidos, que es donde realmente nació Ender.

2. La peste del Maestro: Aquí conocemos a la madre d
Chip Hunter
Dec 29, 2016 Chip Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Orson Scott Card's masterpiece, Ender's Game the novel, has been an invaluable tool for teachers and parents to show young people how much fun reading can be, inspiring so many of the last two generations to become serious readers. It is also considered one of the very best all-time science fiction stories. Besides that superb stand-alone novel, Card has expanded the "Enderverse" with numerous sequels and parallel books that have almost universally received high praise from fans and critics alik ...more
Nola Redd
Nov 12, 2016 Nola Redd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read, interesting background stories. Not sure I think even Graff is that crafty, plus you'd think JP would recognize someone who played such a major role in his life...
Jan 14, 2017 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great short stories that fill out Ender's universe. The inclusion of the original "Ender's Game" was a nice surprise.
Joanne
Feb 09, 2017 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great short stories, if you love ENder you'll love these we learn about his parents )
Kathy
My favorite story was the "first meeting" of Ender's parents.
Goodreads Librari...: Page numbers 2 171 Feb 11, 2014 04:51PM
Goodreads Librari...: change description request 2 16 Aug 21, 2013 03:07PM
Follow-up Books 1 14 Aug 18, 2013 08:31PM
First Meetings in the Enderverse 3 28 Mar 23, 2013 06:48PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Only Read if You've Read the Other Enderverse Books 1 6 Feb 28, 2012 05:38AM
  • Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • To the Blight (The Eye of the World, #2)
  • A Separate War and Other Stories
  • Getting to Know You
  • The Sea Fairies
  • When the Snow Fell
  • The Sea of Adventure (Adventure, #4)
  • The Wind in the Willows
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • Ender's Game: War of Gifts
  • Farewell to the Master
  • The Positronic Man (Robot #0.6)
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th
More about Orson Scott Card...

The Ender Quintet (4 books)
  • Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)
  • Speaker for the Dead (Ender's Saga, #2)
  • Xenocide (Ender's Saga, #3)
  • Children of the Mind (Ender's Saga, #4)

“Only stupid men trying to seem smart need to be with dumb women. Only weak men trying to look strong are attracted to compliant women.” 20 likes
“Whatever your gravity is when you get to the door, remember―the enemy's gate is down.
If you step through your own door like you're out for a stroll, you're a big target and you deserve to get hit. With more than a flasher.”
13 likes