First Meetings: In Ender's Universe

First Meetings: In Ender's Universe (The Ender Quintet 0.5)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  7,366 ratings  ·  396 reviews
Welcome to the Enderverse.

When Orson Scott Card first published "Ender's Game" as a novella in 1977, few would have predicted that it would become one of the most successful ventures in publishing history. Expanded into a novel in 1985, Ender's Game won both the Hugo Award and the Nebula Award for Best Novel. Never out of print and translated into dozens of languages, it i...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published September 1st 2004 by Macmillan Audio (first published July 1st 2002)

D.C.
I loved reading the background stories to Ender's Parents, but was sad when their story stopped so abruptly. They barely have one good day together, and it's like Paul Harvey steps in with his famous tag line, "and now you know the rest of the story". I wanted more, and felt robbed. Then the story quickly jumps (no transition) to a portion that seemed to have come straight out of Ender's Game, only there were discrepancies. There's a discrepancy with Graff's character and his age(within this boo...more
Heather
When this first came out, I was a little miffed at old Orson for dragging out the highly successful and (to me) hallowed Ender saga for one more flogging, so I refused to read it. However, somehow it wound up in my possession (as book-shaped things are wont to do), and I'm glad I gave in.

I've always felt that Card had at least two very interesting and valuable talents: one is creating fleshy, breathy characters (in a good way), and another is having interesting ideas about all sorts of things,...more
Carl
Let me preface this review by saying that Ender's Game is my favorite book and has been for almost 20 years. As such Orson Scott Card is one of my favorite authors, First Meetings, a collection of meetings of primary charters in the Enderverse is a good example of just how good of a writer Card is. Oddly I had thought I had read the book already but when I picked it up I realized it was made up of several short stories, some of which I had yet to read. The book is made up of "The Polish Boy", th...more
Andreea Daia
Quick and dirty reading notes and (i)relevant thoughts
(For my first "review" under this logo, there are going to be fewer reading notes and more thoughts, since I found something very vexing about this collection of short stories.)

✐ Although this is listed as the first book in the series, I'm glad I read it only after Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. The stories range from 40 years before to 300 after the events from Ender's Game and they would be utterly confusing to a new reader.

✐ The f...more
John
A collection of interesting but frivolous stories set in the Enderverse. Find out why Ender's father immigrated to America. Find out how Ender's parents first met. Find out how Ender hooked up with Jane. And read the story of ENDER'S GAME back before it got fleshed out into a novel.
Or don't. Because these stories aren't necessary to fully understand and enjoy the rest of the series. Still, fans of the Enderverse will find FIRST MEETINGS a treasure trove of world-building.
Melissa (ladybug)
There were a few discrepancies in this book compared to the Books Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow.

(view spoiler)

Otherwise this was a very enjoyable book of four novellas. I loved l...more
Virginia
Just read this again last night! My favorite short story in here is "The Investment Counselor" where we first encounter Jane. She is awesome and the comeuppance of Benedetto is particularly sweet. I love the Enderverse!

Read 11/2013
5/2014
Lindsey
Ender's Game fascinates me. I always go back and back and back to it. I've heard from many different people, all sci-fi lovers to varying degrees, their opinions on Orson Scott Card's Ender series and the majority of these folks caution me not to waste my time reading further into the series - reportedly the books grow weaker and lean more heavily on the past books.

Here's the thing though - I'm not finding that to be true at all. They're riffing off each other, sure. But that's the best part! I...more
Emperor Allyster
I'm in one of those I-don't-actually-give-a-fuck states after reading not-so-interesting stories, so forgive me for my indifference if you actually liked this specific novella.

Note: This doesn't actually spoil the second book for you, hence it's book #1.5 in the saga. The first two chapters happen before the time Ender's Game takes place, the third chapter is a quick recap of its second half, and the last is the filler between its ending and the beginning of Speaker for the Dead.

This book novell...more
Adam Heine
I'm not sure why I avoided this book for so long. I think because I'm not a fan of short story collections. But the stories in this collection are not random; they're not old short's by Card that happened to occur in Ender's universe. They're connections. They tie together various threads in the series that I didn't even know were loose.

There are four stories. The first two give backstory to Ender's parents, their own genius, and even their connection with Graff and the IF. The third is the orig...more
Dan
Aug 15, 2007 Dan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Ender's Game
There were four short stories in this book. One story about Ender's Father's first encounter with the International Fleet Officer Graff, who runs the battle school. One story about when Ender's parents met. One story about when Ender met the artificial intelligence program Jane. And the original ender's game story.

All the stories were well written and entertaining. Also, they lent more depth and history to Ender's Universe. The Short Story version of Ender's Game is worth reading to compare and...more
Lorri-lynne
I actually listened to the Audible version. This is a good introduction to the Ender Universe, although most people would probably prefer to read it after the series, since all of the stories contained here are spread througout the series.
We see hear how Ender's father manipulated the government to get what he wants. We get to see how Ender's parents first meet, and how they may have been manipulated to produce Ender. We see Ender as a young man, just coming into his majority with the responsibi...more
Ryan Howard
The first two stories are great preludes to Ender's game. "The Polish Boy" really just told how Ender's father was a child genius just as much as Ender was, maybe even more. This kind of felt too perfect. I don't think every child character should be made out to be a genius. Card should have at least tried to show varying degrees of child geniuses.
The second story, "Teacher's Pest" shows how Ender's parents first meet. I think this is the best story in this collection, but it was cut short befor...more
Inspired Kathy
My 100th book this year! I loved this book. I've come to totally love Orson Scott Card's books in the Ender's series. This was 4 short stories including the original short story Ender's Game and then we got to meet Ender's Father as a child, find out how Ender's parents met and how Ender first met Jane. Fun reading for any Ender fan.
Geoff Long
Although I really enjoyed the stories centered around Jane and Ender's parents, I agree with the general consensus that those should have been fleshed out more. These could have been books in and of themselves, and the short story on Ender's game could have been completely dropped. This was simply a worse, shortened, version of Ender's Game. If I hadn't read Ender's Game it would have been fine, but it has several discrepancies that, to someone who has read the other books in the Enderverse, wil...more
Von Sowards
A sign of a good write is when the writer creates back ground for story and characters that never makes it into the final cut of the books. It must be agonizing sometimes as a writer to have all this story that you feel so proud of but get no recognition for.

"First Meetings" is a hodgepodge of odds and ends stories by Orson Scott Card involving the Enders universe.

I found a lot of fun in this book! The stories truly gave more me more insight into characters like Ender's parents and Jane.

Finally...more
Kristen
I thoroughly enjoyed the short stories in this collection. They give lots of interesting backstory to various characters. The novella version of Ender's Game was kind of weird though. It was like reading a memory of a book. The Buggers are never mentioned; they're referred to as "the enemy" only. Valentine and Peter aren't mentioned. Most of Ender's friends in Battle School don't exist. Heck, a fair bit of the trauma he endures at school doesn't happen. It isn't bad. It just feels incomplete, es...more
Jazreen
Simone
I read First Meetings after falling in love with Ender's Game and reading Ender's Shadow, and I had a firm perspective on what this book was about but was disillusioned on what the book was for. I now conclude it's simply a money-maker and written to keep Ender fans happy.
Apart from character names being the same it didn't feel like an Orson Scott Card book because it was basic and rushed.

While I didn't care very much for Ender's father's story I still found TEACHER'S PEST fascinating. ENDER'S G...more
Chris
Lloyd
So, as I said in one of my status updates for this book, "First Meetings in Ender's Universe" is sort of an apocryphal work in the series, containing several short stories that often don't deal with the main players in the series, but at the same time thicken the mythos.

Well, actually, about half of the content deals with Ender, the other parts more deal with his father, which helps us to see how Ender came to be and why he's the persn that he is.

The "First Meetings" part of the title is very ap...more
Lionel
This is a collection of four short stories. The first two deal with Ender's father, John Paul Wiggins, first as a five year old boy in Poland and later as an under-challenged grad student who meets and falls in love with his future wife. The third story is a reprinting of the original Ender's Game novella. And the last story tells of Ender's first encounter with Jane, in a story that takes place between Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead (and after the events of Ender in Exile).

Individually,...more
Erin
I am not a fan of short stories in general, but this book was pretty good as far as actual meeting stories went. The first two stories detail Ender's father's childhood and how he met Ender's mother. That story was really good, as we got to see more of their personality shine through. It becomes quite clear why Ender and his siblings were a cut above their peers. And Ender's dad is pretty funny, I have to admit. I would've fallen for him myself. The third story in the book is about Ender's time...more
Jeff Yoak
First Meetings is a series of short stories detailing stories of major and minor characters of the Enderverse from before the time of Ender's Game. Overall, I found it a good read, though I enjoyed some of the stories enormously more than others.

One of my favorites was Mazer in Prison which details Mazer's decision to fly away at relativistic speeds, abandoning his family, to be still alive and able to train the unknown future commander of the human fleet. During his flight with ancible communic...more
Mitchell
Feb 10, 2009 Mitchell rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA SciFi Fans, Ender's Game Fans, SciFi fans
Recommended to Mitchell by: Goodreads
Shelves: enderverse
I am a big fan of Ender's Game which may be in my Top 10 all time favorite books if I could ever create such a list. This book is as close to a prequel as Orson Scott Card has come. The original Bugger wars are still in the past and remain background and history, but we get to meet Ender's father and Captain Graff before he took over the battle school. We also get to see John Paul Wiggin meet Theresa Brown and learn exactly how calculated Ender's birth really was. This book was a treat especiall...more
Liz
JBradford
I was looking for something else at the library the other day when I came across a shelf full of books by Orson Scott Card, who used to be one of my favorite authors when I was reading more science fiction than I do nowadays, so I grabbed one of the books and took it home, only to discover it was a late number in a series. The book cover said that Card had claimed the books could be red in any order, but I have always disliked that, thinking I was missing out not only in the continuity of the st...more
Eric Herboso
I know it must be very difficult to keep up a coherent storyline over decades of different books, so I'm not terribly perturbed by the conflicts these short stories have with other, more recent books in the Ender universe. Nevertheless, they should be acknowledged, and that is what I do here. (Spoilers ahead.)

The biggest seeming contradiction is that of Jane's introduction. In other books, it is made clear that she is in fact very different from how she portrays herself in "Investment Counselor"...more
Jelinas
Back when I was working my first real job as a receptionist for a small local homebuilder, one of my coworkers gave me a book that she said I just had to read. It was science fiction, and despite never having read any sci-fi, I chalked it up to books for geeks who were so engrossed in their own arrogance that they didn't have time to develop any literary taste. But she was a nice lady, and so enthusiastic, so I read it just to humor her.

The book was Ender's Game, and I've since devoured all of O...more
Goodreads Librari...: Page numbers 2 171 Feb 11, 2014 04:51PM
Goodreads Librari...: change description request 2 16 Aug 21, 2013 03:07PM
Follow-up Books 1 8 Aug 18, 2013 08:31PM
First Meetings in the Enderverse 3 24 Mar 23, 2013 06:48PM
  • Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • Ender's Game, Volume 2: Command School
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • To the Blight (Wheel of Time, #1-2)
  • Other Earths
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • Robota
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • The Sea Fairies
  • Dolly Departed (Gretchen Birch, #3)
  • The Robots of Dawn (Robot, #3)
  • Sandworms Of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #8)
  • When the Snow Fell
  • Firstborn
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th...more
More about Orson Scott Card...
Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1) Speaker for the Dead (The Ender Quintet, #2) Ender's Shadow (Ender's Shadow, #1) Xenocide (The Ender Quintet, #3) Children of the Mind (The Ender Quintet, #4)

“Only stupid men trying to seem smart need to be with dumb women. Only weak men trying to look strong are attracted to compliant women.” 18 likes
“Whatever your gravity is when you get to the door, remember―the enemy's gate is down.
If you step through your own door like you're out for a stroll, you're a big target and you deserve to get hit. With more than a flasher.”
13 likes