Why Business People Speak Like Idiots: A Bullfighter's Guide

Why Business People Speak Like Idiots: A Bullfighter's Guide

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  20 reviews
"This is just the kind of synergistic, customer-centric, upsell-driven, out-of-the-box, customizable, strategically tactical, best-of-breed thought leadership that will help our clients track to true north. Let's fly this up the flagpole and see where the pushback is."

It's Monday. Time to hit the pause button on your personality and get ready for the next meeting because...more
Audio CD, 4 pages
Published April 15th 2005 by Tantor Media (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Why Business People Speak Like Idiots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Business People Speak Like Idiots

Bookish Jen
Not too long a headhunter sent me this job ad. I’m paraphrasing and shortening a bit of it so your brain doesn’t explode (and to protect the not so innocent). My comments and translation of the ad copy are in italics.

Job Title: On-line Newsletter Operations Professional (On-line Newsletter Writer)

Principal Accountabilities (Principal accountabilities? Oh, I think you mean job tasks or position’s duties)

• Manages the daily activities necessary to produce the monthly and quarterly newsletters with...more
Kristen
This is in the top 3 best business books I have ever read! If you work in a corporate business setting, and you care at all whether the emails, voice-messages, presentations, and memos you spend most of your work hours preparing get any attention AT ALL from the audiences you send them to, you need this book!

The book is brief, it's hilarious and it's useful. The main reason this book is all those things is because the authors do, throughout the book, EXACTLY what they spend 166 pages advising yo...more
Jerry Smith
Entertaining, amusing and spot on in terms of advice. I particularly like the section about Powerpoint and how it kills the messages you are trying to send. It is a well trodden path - it is clear that business speak is largely BS but it is so easy to slip into it and think you are sounding clever when in reality, you sound stupid.

Nice touches such as the messages we can draw from Hollywood plus tips and advice on ways to improve. Everyone in corporate should read this - overall message: safe co...more
Greg
I found this book pretty entertaining -- mostly because I recognized some of the b.s. business speak that was discussed in the book from emails and presentations I had seen at work or from things I have sent to other people.

The book encourages one to be themselves and this seems like good advice to a point. The book was a quick read and I would recommend it to anyone who feels like they need to break out of acting and being just another worker drone at the company they work.
Sipaul
This is a funny book. I enjoyed his glossary of phrases with "translations" (e.g. Reach out - sounds like some sort of spirtual bond to be created instead of just saying 'contact'). My only problem with this type of book is that it assumes that there is a critical mass of 'business people' who want to get through the idiot-speak and actually get things done.

Definitely a good read and amusing look on the business world.
Dave
Get rid of all the MBA claptrap and if you read just one business book, read this one. Anyone who has lived life in Corporateville will find wry wisdom on every page. Stop speaking in tongues. Rise up, get genuine, speak like a human being. You'll be better able to look at yourself in the mirror and respect what you see.
Trang Hoang
Received the book from one of the authors. While I agree with the concept, I'm not entirely sure that those who should be applying it would find overarching compelling reasons to do so. Some interesting examples were cited throughout the book.
Kim
Jan 09, 2007 Kim marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I got a copy of this book from the author, who was a Partner at my firm (god that sounds like a corporate slag thing to say). However, he is very bright, and what I read of this book was dead on and really funny.
Greg Hart
Short on any detailed or novel suggestions, mostly a "what's wrong" and not even some that interestingly. I found this generic and was often shipping paragraphs, sections.
Khankins1
This is the best business read I have come across in 10 years! It won't take you long and you will laugh out loud! This is my philosophy when it comes to coaching executives on how to be better speakers.
Mike Love
Need I say more, the tite says it all. I gave a copy of his book to every member of my Communications team in Microsoft EMEA. The accompanying bullfighter.com site is great too.
Alison
Didn't finish, but enjoyed what I read. Good to be reminded that straight talk is ok. No need for embellishment or convolutedness.
Ranjan Atreya
The book is amazing. There are so many things written in this that I have done in every day life. Definitely a must read for everyone.
Gary Corless
Every business person / leader should read this book...keep by their side and buy 10 copies to pass out to others when needed.
David
Dec 28, 2007 David rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: business associates
Very good book to get over the monotony of meetings and presentations. It teaches people to be real, not work drones.
Andrea
The title is really the best part but this is a decent attempt to get people in the corporate world to sound human.
Jim O'shaughnessy
Everyone should read this to strip the jargon out of their speech and writing.
John
"Some of you may be able to relate to this book, I know I did..."
Jon
anti-jargon diatribe w/ excellent points. quick read
Aaron
Too trite. Failed to take their own advice.
Jeremy Frisch
Jeremy Frisch marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Hannu Kokko
Hannu Kokko marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Sachin
Sachin marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Grotos
Grotos marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Gergely
Gergely marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014