Start by marking “Kissing Babies at the Piggly Wiggly (Piggly Wiggly, #2)” as Want to Read:
Kissing Babies at the Piggly Wiggly (Piggly Wiggly, #2)

Kissing Babies at the Piggly Wiggly (Piggly Wiggly #2)

3.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  177 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The enchanting sequel to Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly: a Southern charmer about second chances in love and life, and the odd-and oddly funny-events that bring people together.

When Hale "Mr. Choppy" Dunbar decides to run for mayor in his hometown of Second Creek, Mississippi, Laurie Lepanto and her new husband, Powell Hampton, insist on managing his campaign. Even though
Published August 2nd 2007 by Putnam Adult (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Kissing Babies at the Piggly Wiggly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kissing Babies at the Piggly Wiggly

Jennifer Frank
May 16, 2015 Jennifer Frank rated it really liked it
I listened to this as an audio-book and waffled between 3 and 4 stars. It is the sweet story of a small Southern-town mayoral race with multiple sub-plots occurring among the members of the "Nit-Wits" - a group of 60+ year old widowed-women. It is a sequel to Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly and is the second in a 4-book series.

What I liked about the book was that it was cleanly written with neat bows at the end around all of the side stories. There was no language, violence, or sex (which could b
Susan
Nov 06, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing
A delightful and charming book. Mr. Choppy is surrounded by special friends helping him seek the mayoral office. All of the characters are so fun. I'm looking forward to the entire series.
Ruth Sims
Dec 18, 2011 Ruth Sims rated it it was ok
Kissing Babies is the kind of book I call "doctor's visit" books, the kind I can stick in my bag, if I lose it I won't be heartbroken, it's mildly amusing, and it's the kind you can read in short bursts and it won't tax your brain cells.

I want to preface my review by saying that the other comments seem to have been written by people who read and enjoyed the first book, which I haven't. In fairness to the author, perhaps I would have liked it better if I had. Maybe a person should read the first
Lisa of Hopewell
The 2nd book in Robert Dalby's delightful "Second Creek" story brings back Laurie, Powell, Mr. Choppy and all the Nit Wits. This time the cause is electing Mr. Choppy mayor of Second Creek. With Mr. "She's a Floozy, she's a doozy" Mayor Floyce facing real opposition for the first time, all the stops are pulled out by His Honor and sidekick LJ to win the election. What's not to love about a town with churches named "Hanging Grapes AME Church," or "Rock of Ages Baptist," let alone "Marble Stone Al ...more
Glenajo
Jul 10, 2011 Glenajo rated it really liked it
Shelves: humorous
Kissing Babies at the Piggly Wiggly, by Robert Dalby is such a fun book. The ladies of the Nitwit club continue their activities that began in Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly. This time they are working to help Hale Dunbar, Jr. (Mr. Choppy) win the race for mayor against Floyce Hammontree, the current mayor. The race heats up with Laurie Lepanto and her new husband Powell Hampton working as Mr. Dunbar’s campaign managers. The Nitwits get into the action with radio spots.

Both of the Piggly Wiggly
Nancy Kennedy
May 08, 2014 Nancy Kennedy rated it liked it
Love these Southern fiction novels, especially in audiobook form. The characters are like a visit home. This sequel to the first Piggly Wiggly book doesn't disappoint. There's a big mayoral race afoot, with the ex-store owner trying to unseat a crooked mayor. Who will win?? The good guy, if the Nitwits club has anything to do with it!
Tracey Mcd
Nov 08, 2014 Tracey Mcd rated it did not like it
As a southerner, I am offended by the habit authors have of assigning characters corny, artificial names. It's a cheap cliche to have unnecessarily complex backstories. As a reader, I am offended by the artificially formal speech, broadly stereotypical characters and large plot holes.
Pjbookhoarder
Actually I give this a 3.5 star rating. It's a cute, fun, light read. Southern charm, whimsey, quirky characters and entertaining but not a book I'd read a second time nor remember much about over the years. Still worth a fun read!
Amanda
Apr 12, 2014 Amanda rated it it was ok
Part of the issue is that I can't relate to much older characters but also, I just couldn't get attached to the predictable plot line. I finished it out of curiosity for the most part..
Liz
Jan 31, 2008 Liz rated it did not like it
I picked this up at the library, not sure why but it looked interesting - a quirky small town story. So far it is annoying me, but I'm going to try to get through it...

I finished and this book annoyed me all the way through. I think I identified what was annoying; the excessive use of unrealistic dialogue. Or, maybe people over the age of 60 who live in Mississippi really do talk that way? Going back to what I remember from elementary school writing instruction - I think the overuse of dialogue
Geri
Jan 06, 2016 Geri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommend, own
Another helping of small town southern charm.
Adriana
Jan 22, 2008 Adriana rated it it was ok
I actually listened to the audio version of the book. It was entertaining, light, and it made me want to visit Mississippi. However, it lacked a real exciting plot that I could relate to. The characters were very appealing in the sense of southern, booze-drinking, old ladies that have plenty of charm and time to spare. But it isn't a book that I would read again, and I'm actually glad I had the audio version, because I don't think I would have finished it had it been in print.
TeresaFL
Jun 08, 2009 TeresaFL rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jill
I hoped this book would live up to my love of it's predecessor, and I was not disappointed. Whether you grew up in the south or not, these characters are people you probably know. From Lady Roth's love of the theatrical, to Laurie and Powell's down-to-earth charm, each character seems alive, at least to me. Not to mention it's a great look at how small town politics often works. A fun read.
becky bristol
Feb 11, 2008 becky bristol rated it it was ok
got this on tape and am looking forward to something fun!
so i started the tape got into perhaps an hour could not get into the characters. they seemed under developed and actually boring. So i turned the tape off and was surprised to hear the pixies on the radio well that did it. it was karma that i turned it off......so the audio book went back to library.
thank goodness for the pixies.
Alison
Oct 08, 2011 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really cute book, with a mixture of politics, romance, and good hearted humor. Unfortunately, I didn't realize before reading it that there was a "first" book in the "series." They don't need to be read together, or in order, but it would have been nice to have some background before digging into this one. Overall, I enjoyed the book, and would probably recommend it.
Bibliobabe
Feb 14, 2016 Bibliobabe rated it it was ok
Follow up to dancing at the piggly wiggly. Mr Choppy is running for mayor and Laurie, Powell and the Nitwits are helping. OK. 082407
Terry
May 16, 2011 Terry rated it it was ok
This is a cute story about small town Mississippi politics. I got it from the library as it was billed as a humorous book. Mostly, the humor is lacking, but I plowed on. There are occassional smiles generated, but that's about it. It's harmless and quaint. Not much to learn from it either.
Judy
Mar 26, 2014 Judy rated it it was ok
This book was neither good nor bad. It was bland. I thought it would be one of those a silly fun books with wacky happenings and quirky characters. I think it *wanted* to be one of those books, but it fell flat. There were a few places that made me smile.
Clare
Mar 23, 2011 Clare rated it did not like it
Even though I'm from the southernmost state (Hawaii), my indifference to the institution that is the Piggly Wiggly seems to make me a Yankee. Read my full review here: http://bookreviewsbyclare.blogspot.co...
Sheri
Sep 02, 2012 Sheri rated it did not like it
I did not finish this book. It was not as good as the first one in the series - "Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly." I felt it was predictable and a little boring, so I just put it down and moved on to the next book in my stack!
Margaret
Apr 29, 2008 Margaret rated it liked it
This is as funny as "Waltzing at the Piggly wiggly. It just shows what you can do when you step out of your comfort zone. and how friends all rally around each other even if they don't always agree.
Angela
Sep 30, 2008 Angela rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Second in the series. Excellent. I enjoyed this one better than the first one. Sadder things go in in the town than then first one but good eventually triumphs over evil.
Julaine
Mar 08, 2008 Julaine rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008
Eccentric town and characters were interesting enough, writing was a little stilted at times. Will probably try another in this series.
Tenna
May 06, 2010 Tenna rated it liked it
I thought this was a bit better then the first one...nothing earth shattering but a funny book that is worth reading!
Kitty Tomlinson
Dec 30, 2008 Kitty Tomlinson rated it liked it
Laurie and her husband, Powell, help the Nit Wits get Mr. Choppy elected mayor of Second Creek, Mississippi.
Harriet
Sep 14, 2010 Harriet rated it really liked it
Pretty silly but fun to listen to on CD.
Sandi
Jan 18, 2009 Sandi rated it it was ok
I expected the book to be funnier.
Connie
Jan 10, 2011 Connie rated it liked it
Funny Southern fiction book!
Tricia
Jul 28, 2014 Tricia rated it did not like it
Bor-ring
Melea
Melea is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2016
  • Hope Springs (Hope Springs #2)
  • Revolution (Dreamland, #10)
  • Fairacre Festival (Fairacre, #7)
  • Angora Alibi (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #7)
  • A Rather Remarkable Homecoming (Penny Nichols, #4)
  • Dead North (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #8)
  • Sweet Dreams at the Goodnight Motel (Valentine, #6)
  • Velocity (Gravity, #4)
  • Taken by Storm
  • Sisterchicks Down Under (Sisterchicks, #4)
  • Murder at the Lanterne Rouge (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #12)
  • Shadows of Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun, #5)
  • Home Is the Sailor: An Irish Country Doctor Story
Robert Dalby is a native of Mississippi and a lifelong patron of the Piggly Wiggly. He lives in Oxford.
More about Robert Dalby...

Piggly Wiggly (4 books)
  • Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly (Piggly Wiggly, #1)
  • A Piggly Wiggly Wedding (Piggly Wiggly, #3)
  • A Piggly Wiggly Christmas (Piggly Wiggly, #4)