Start by marking “Kissing Babies at the Piggly Wiggly” as Want to Read:
Kissing Babies at the Piggly Wiggly

Kissing Babies at the Piggly Wiggly (At the Piggly Wiggly #2)

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The enchanting sequel to Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly: a Southern charmer about second chances in love and life, and the odd-and oddly funny-events that bring people together.

When Hale "Mr. Choppy" Dunbar decides to run for mayor in his hometown of Second Creek, Mississippi, Laurie Lepanto and her new husband, Powell Hampton, insist on managing his campaign. Even though
Published August 2nd 2007 by Putnam Adult (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Kissing Babies at the Piggly Wiggly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kissing Babies at the Piggly Wiggly

Susan
A delightful and charming book. Mr. Choppy is surrounded by special friends helping him seek the mayoral office. All of the characters are so fun. I'm looking forward to the entire series.
Ruth Sims
Kissing Babies is the kind of book I call "doctor's visit" books, the kind I can stick in my bag, if I lose it I won't be heartbroken, it's mildly amusing, and it's the kind you can read in short bursts and it won't tax your brain cells.

I want to preface my review by saying that the other comments seem to have been written by people who read and enjoyed the first book, which I haven't. In fairness to the author, perhaps I would have liked it better if I had. Maybe a person should read the first
Lisa Hayes
The 2nd book in Robert Dalby's delightful "Second Creek" story brings back Laurie, Powell, Mr. Choppy and all the Nit Wits. This time the cause is electing Mr. Choppy mayor of Second Creek. With Mr. "She's a Floozy, she's a doozy" Mayor Floyce facing real opposition for the first time, all the stops are pulled out by His Honor and sidekick LJ to win the election. What's not to love about a town with churches named "Hanging Grapes AME Church," or "Rock of Ages Baptist," let alone "Marble Stone Al ...more
Glenajo
Kissing Babies at the Piggly Wiggly, by Robert Dalby is such a fun book. The ladies of the Nitwit club continue their activities that began in Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly. This time they are working to help Hale Dunbar, Jr. (Mr. Choppy) win the race for mayor against Floyce Hammontree, the current mayor. The race heats up with Laurie Lepanto and her new husband Powell Hampton working as Mr. Dunbar’s campaign managers. The Nitwits get into the action with radio spots.

Both of the Piggly Wiggly
Nancy Kennedy
Love these Southern fiction novels, especially in audiobook form. The characters are like a visit home. This sequel to the first Piggly Wiggly book doesn't disappoint. There's a big mayoral race afoot, with the ex-store owner trying to unseat a crooked mayor. Who will win?? The good guy, if the Nitwits club has anything to do with it!
Tracey Mcd
As a southerner, I am offended by the habit authors have of assigning characters corny, artificial names. It's a cheap cliche to have unnecessarily complex backstories. As a reader, I am offended by the artificially formal speech, broadly stereotypical characters and large plot holes.
Amanda
Part of the issue is that I can't relate to much older characters but also, I just couldn't get attached to the predictable plot line. I finished it out of curiosity for the most part..
Liz
I picked this up at the library, not sure why but it looked interesting - a quirky small town story. So far it is annoying me, but I'm going to try to get through it...

I finished and this book annoyed me all the way through. I think I identified what was annoying; the excessive use of unrealistic dialogue. Or, maybe people over the age of 60 who live in Mississippi really do talk that way? Going back to what I remember from elementary school writing instruction - I think the overuse of dialogue
Adriana
I actually listened to the audio version of the book. It was entertaining, light, and it made me want to visit Mississippi. However, it lacked a real exciting plot that I could relate to. The characters were very appealing in the sense of southern, booze-drinking, old ladies that have plenty of charm and time to spare. But it isn't a book that I would read again, and I'm actually glad I had the audio version, because I don't think I would have finished it had it been in print.
TeresaFL
Jun 08, 2009 TeresaFL rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jill
I hoped this book would live up to my love of it's predecessor, and I was not disappointed. Whether you grew up in the south or not, these characters are people you probably know. From Lady Roth's love of the theatrical, to Laurie and Powell's down-to-earth charm, each character seems alive, at least to me. Not to mention it's a great look at how small town politics often works. A fun read.
becky bristol
got this on tape and am looking forward to something fun!
so i started the tape got into perhaps an hour could not get into the characters. they seemed under developed and actually boring. So i turned the tape off and was surprised to hear the pixies on the radio well that did it. it was karma that i turned it off......so the audio book went back to library.
thank goodness for the pixies.
Alison
This was a really cute book, with a mixture of politics, romance, and good hearted humor. Unfortunately, I didn't realize before reading it that there was a "first" book in the "series." They don't need to be read together, or in order, but it would have been nice to have some background before digging into this one. Overall, I enjoyed the book, and would probably recommend it.
Terry
This is a cute story about small town Mississippi politics. I got it from the library as it was billed as a humorous book. Mostly, the humor is lacking, but I plowed on. There are occassional smiles generated, but that's about it. It's harmless and quaint. Not much to learn from it either.
Judy
This book was neither good nor bad. It was bland. I thought it would be one of those a silly fun books with wacky happenings and quirky characters. I think it *wanted* to be one of those books, but it fell flat. There were a few places that made me smile.
Clare
Even though I'm from the southernmost state (Hawaii), my indifference to the institution that is the Piggly Wiggly seems to make me a Yankee. Read my full review here: http://bookreviewsbyclare.blogspot.co...
Sheri
I did not finish this book. It was not as good as the first one in the series - "Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly." I felt it was predictable and a little boring, so I just put it down and moved on to the next book in my stack!
Margaret
This is as funny as "Waltzing at the Piggly wiggly. It just shows what you can do when you step out of your comfort zone. and how friends all rally around each other even if they don't always agree.
Angela
Sep 30, 2008 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Second in the series. Excellent. I enjoyed this one better than the first one. Sadder things go in in the town than then first one but good eventually triumphs over evil.
Julaine
Eccentric town and characters were interesting enough, writing was a little stilted at times. Will probably try another in this series.
Tenna
I thought this was a bit better then the first one...nothing earth shattering but a funny book that is worth reading!
Kitty Tomlinson
Laurie and her husband, Powell, help the Nit Wits get Mr. Choppy elected mayor of Second Creek, Mississippi.
Harriet
Pretty silly but fun to listen to on CD.
Sandi
I expected the book to be funnier.
Connie
Funny Southern fiction book!
Shanon
Shanon is currently reading it
Jan 22, 2015
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
  • Hope Springs (Hope Springs #2)
  • Revolution (Dreamland, #10)
  • Fairacre Festival (Fairacre, #7)
  • A Rather Remarkable Homecoming
  • Dead North (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #8)
  • Taken by Storm
  • Shadows of Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun, #5)
  • Sweet Dreams at the Goodnight Motel (Valentine, #6)
  • Home Is the Sailor: An Irish Country Doctor Story
  • Murder in Passy (Aimee Leduc Investigations #11)
  • Sisterchicks Down Under (Sisterchicks, #4)
  • Angora Alibi (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #7)
  • Velocity (Gravity, #4)
Robert Dalby is a native of Mississippi and a lifelong patron of the Piggly Wiggly. He lives in Oxford.
More about Robert Dalby...

At the Piggly Wiggly (4 books)
  • Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly
  • A Piggly Wiggly Wedding
  • A Piggly Wiggly Christmas
Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly A Piggly Wiggly Wedding A Piggly Wiggly Christmas O Bed! O Breakfast! God of the Door: A Novel