Start by marking “Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly” as Want to Read:
Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly

Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly (At the Piggly Wiggly #1)

2.96 of 5 stars 2.96  ·  rating details  ·  371 ratings  ·  73 reviews
An irresistible Southern charmer about small-town gossip, second-chance romance, strange weather, and ballroom dancing in the most unlikely places.

Laurie Lepanto is on the horns of a dilemma. Her favorite market, the Piggly Wiggly, of Second Creek, Mississippi, is on the verge of closing its doors, nearly done in by a new Mega-Mart across town. Over the years, the Piggly
Published August 3rd 2006 by Putnam Adult (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly

Heather
I finally abandoned this book about halfway through when I was reminded of the topic of good, better, best. This book may fall into the "good" category, but I have so many other things I could be doing with my time. Forcing myself to read this just didn't seem worth it anymore. It drove me crazy how simple the writing was, and I thought the sexual references, while fairly benign, were completely unnecessary. I do not plan to read anything else by this author!
Book Concierge
When the Nitwitts (a club for wealthy widows in Second Creek MS) learns that the local Piggly Wiggly will be closing its doors they spring into action to save the local business. Club President Laurie Lepanto asks a charming widower who used to run a dance studio to help. Powell Hampton agrees and a promotional campaign is begun: for two hours each day, the “eligible silver fox” will dance with the ladies while store employees do their shopping for them.

I’ve had this on my tbr for a while. It s
Lilian
I was hoping this would be a light, funny read, but it turned out so cliched and boring. It seemed so lazy even to use adjectives like "sunny" and "perky" for waitresses, and flight attendants "leggy."

I'm really wary now of stories that seem to be mostly dialogue or conversations between the characters, as this book was. It's as if the writer cannot find an omniscient voice or a third-person storyteller, so rather than going to the "trouble" of describing characters or places, he just has his ch
Rebecca
A quaint story about a group of loyal Piggly Wiggly shoppers who come up with a crazy plan to save their beloved grocery store. Laurie and Powell come up with the idea to have the ladies of Second Creek come into the Piggly Wiggly to dance while the employees fill their grocery orders. I thought it had a cute premise, but I think it was written more for an older audience (probably my grandparents). It was a cute story, but not the best I've ever read.
Ruth
Wow, but this seemed a LONG listen. Took me a while to get into the story. I preferred Mr Choppy's mysterious past storyline more so than the save the Piggly Wiggly story line. Some of the NitWits had some clever lines. Parts were well written. But glad to finish it. The dance lasted a bit too long.
TeresaFL
Jul 16, 2008 TeresaFL rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jill, Heather
Shelves: read-in-2008
If you've ever lived in a small town in the south, then this book is for you. As I read it I kept finding people I've grown up with all my life. A fun, easy read. I highly recommend it if you want to relax and enjoy some time with interesting characters.
Julie
I read about a third of this and while it featured everything I usually like (quirky characters in a small town and hint of humor), I just couldn't get into it. Wasn't worth the time to keep going.
Katrina
I love how this story shows several older active men and women who are making changes in their lives and progressing. The moral of the story that life isn't over after you are 70 is great. There are still often many great years to come in this modern age.

My 98 year old grandmother in Vienna is still actively participating in her community. She writes for a newspaper, speaks at conventions, and much more. This wouldn't be possible unless people took interest in her and I doubt that it would happ
Janet
I checked this out from the library on audiobook because I was having some kind of southern homesick thing. It was kind of laughably bad.

Predictable and not engaging, and I often yelled at it for just being wrong. Like describing a beautiful delicious-sounding dinner and saying that the cook lit a bunch of scented candles before serving it - what? why? Also terrible fashion sense (at a wedding the bride wears a suit and the groom a tux and tails? Not at any southern wedding I've heard of, even
Lisa Hayes
What's not to like about a small Southern town with a "Miss Delta Floozy" contest? Or, for that matter, what's not to love about a 50-something widow finding love for the second time with a handsome man who used to own a ballroom dance studio? Second Creek, Mississippi, is a town you'd want to call your own. Full of loveable wackos--most of whom are faithful friends and helpful neighbors. Laurie Lapanto and her "Nit Wits"--a group of widows who support and care for each other have a large presen ...more
Ken
I wanted to like this book so bad. I love books about quaint, little Southern towns and the characters that live in them but I just couldn't get into this book. The dialogue between the characters was all together too unrealistic and sickeningly sweet for my taste. The characters never use any slang and speak proper English 98% of the time and that just doesn't jibe realistically with life in a small Southern town, unfortunately. The author's characterization of the main male character in this b ...more
Ida
I picked this one up on a whim at the library. I rarely do that, especially in the adult section. And this book is a great example of why - there was some completely unnecessary sex in it. Not horrible harlequin type sex and only a couple short scenes but still way more than I wanted to read and it was NOT pivotal to the plot. Other than that quite annoying element the premise was cute enough, I guess. Widows who get together to gossip and do good in a small town. A charming widower who happens ...more
Jackie
I found this book to be delightful. I read it a a short time after I became a widow and it gave me hope of finding happiness again.
Tammy
I really enjoyed this sweet Southern tale of love, friendship, and finding your purpose in life, no matter what age you are. Having lived in Mississippi for about a year in the seventies, the characters really came to life for me. Although the concept of dancing in the ailes at a grocery store seemed a little corny, I was impressed by the way the author was able to bring in the connection the residents have, both past & present, with their local Piggly Wiggly store. I highly recommend sippin ...more
Elvia
It was a sweet novel that flirted with some big ideas. It brought up the idea of a Mega store and it's affect on an American small town and the small business that is found there. It brings up the idea of finding one's purpose in life no matter what age you are. And it brings up the idea of finding love when you think that love can never be found again. However, it doesn't ever delve into anything and it just leaves it all suspended. However, I really liked it because of the sentimental feeling ...more
Shanon
Less than stellar but still a fun book.
Kae Larsen
Lame Lame Lame! Stupid Stupid Stupid! I did not finish this one, and yet WASTED a large amount of time listening to this book on tape. The reader was excellent in the fact that she didn't throw up trying to read this book out loud to an audience.

It was written by a man, Robert Dalby, and there is large amount of discussion on the anatomy of all the women who are in the book, and there are a lot of them. (so my preconception about men authors was, again, validated) Well dang, those are hours I w
JanieceK
This has to be the silliest thing I've ever read. I can't believe I wasted the time to read it. There was nothing to redeem it. I think most of the problem was that it was written by a man. Small town Southern women really don't talk, think nor act that way. It seemed to me to be the way a man would think small town Southern women would talk, think and act. Don't waste any time on this!!

Angela
Sep 29, 2008 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Angela by: goodreads site
This was a very good Southern fiction book about a small town with eccentric and loving neighbors. Since I listened to it with my ears instead of reading with my eyes, I was treated to an accent that was not over the top! Yea! There is an element of romance in this novel as well in that two of the main characters get married. Lots of great wacky ladies and gentlemen in this one. A satisfying read.
Jodi
The beginning was a bit slow for me and I wasn't too interested in hearing about the different women in the Nitwitts group, but I enjoyed the second half of the book much more as the plot development picked up. Laurie's love story was not as compelling or romantic as I had hoped, but I thought ending was a nice, and appropriate tie-up. I enjoyed reading about Mr. Choppy's story more at the end.
Nan
This book is a terrible waste of time. It was chosen by our local Book Club to read for the month of January/February. I do not know who made the selection but I would not have recommended it to anyone. Seems like in the beginning it was much like The Sweet Potato Queens book and not very well done. I have had the book nearly a month and just finished it this day.
Sharon
I listened to this short book on CD. It was humorous and full of real characters. Cute story. Very well read by the reader using various voices. A charming little book. Not on the level of the 5-star books, but still worth a pleasant read. It takes place in a small southern town and is about a group of wealthy widows and old time values in a modern age.
April
I really enjoyed this book. I was especially thrilled when I saw that it had been reviewed by Ann B. Ross, who wrote the Miss Julia series. This book is kind of in the same, vein as it follows the lives of some older people. I like the humor and optimism and especially the love stories because it show you that you can find love at any age.
Kitty Tomlinson
Entertaining Southern tale set in Second Creek, Miss. The local Piggly Wiggly grocery store is set to close after a mega-mart invades the town. Laurie Lepanto and her friends in the Nit Wit Club work together, along with Powell Hampton to keep the store open by drawing people to waltz with Powell down the aisles of the grocery store.
Dawn
Nothing too exciting, although the author tried hard. The characters and the setting just never had any real depth that went anywhere. A few things that surprised me in it, especially since I picked it up in Deseret Book. Not really worth reading in my opinion - too many other really good books out there.
Alisa
I am okay with reading fluff for the sake of reading gfluff. But even this book was too little substance for me. I know that small towns struggle, especially with keeping some institutions open, but this author just didn't make me sympathize with his characters or their quirks.
christie
I spotted this at the library this summer and was intrigued by the title, since i shopped at the Piggly Wiggly as a kid. This book is so unique and funny that I think it is a must read. If you are from the south you will have the extra bonus of reminiscing with each word.
Melissa
I liked most of this book - the location made me wish for a life in a similar small town. However, there were certain parts (about the characters' sexual exploits and "physical endowments") that I feel were unnecessary and gratuitous. But, it was an easy, charming read.
Capoppy
We meet the Nitwitts of Second Creek, Mississippi, a group of rich widow's, as the local Piggly Wiggly just off the downtown square is due to go out of business because of the Mega Mart up by the Interstate. This book makes you happy and gives you plenty of laughs.
Carlee
Definitely written for the retired crowd, but it was still enjoyable. Gives me hope that even if I'm over 60 and single, I just might be able to find love. Ha!
  • Storm in the Village (Chronicles of Fairacre, #3)
  • Keeping Secrets (Sadie's Montana #2)
  • The Survivor (Families of Honor #3)
  • Missing Your Smile (Fields Of Home, #1)
  • Honor Redeemed (First Responders #2)
  • American Pie
  • The Wounded Heart (Amish Quilt, #1)
  • Dollar Daze: The Bottom Dollar Girls in Love (Bottom Dollar Girls #3)
  • The Welcome Committee of Butternut Creek: A Novel
  • The Search (Lancaster County Secrets, #3)
  • Treasuring Emma (Middlefield Family, #1)
  • Swimming Upstream, Slowly
  • Christmas Cake
Robert Dalby is a native of Mississippi and a lifelong patron of the Piggly Wiggly. He lives in Oxford.
More about Robert Dalby...
Kissing Babies at the Piggly Wiggly A Piggly Wiggly Wedding A Piggly Wiggly Christmas O Bed! O Breakfast! God of the Door: A Novel