Start by marking “The Ascension Factor (Destination: Void, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Ascension Factor (Destination: Void, #4)

The Ascension Factor (The Pandora Sequence #3)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  912 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This final book in the "Destination: Void" collaboration between Frank Herbert and Bill Ransom, set twenty-five years after the previous book The Lazarus Effect, concludes the story of the planet Pandora.
Published February 5th 1990 by Random House Value Publishing (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Ascension Factor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ascension Factor

Scribble Orca
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll never know whether it was the homage as apology that prefaced this book which coloured my reaction to it. My suspicion, however, is that it played a minor role.

I dug out the two preceding books and rifled through each after I finished The Ascension Factor. Rather fearfully, in fact.
Matthew
THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS

If you've read any of the Destination: Void series, you'll know that this final book is different. That's because Frank Herbert passed away before it was written. So when you notice his name on the front of the book, that's not really true. Bill Ransom claims that Frank Herbert helped with a character sketch of the book, and I'm sure that the two authors talked about plans for the book over coffee.

As far as I can tell, that's about it.

The Ascension Factor is fairly
Rob
...Given the obstacles life threw in Herbert's direction during the writing of the series, it shouldn't come as a surprise that it is not his a highlight in his oeuvre. They are perfectly readable in a way but The Jesus Incident is unpolished, The Lazarus Effect uninspired and The Ascension Factor unconvincing. In a way, I can still enjoy the ideas Herbert and Ransom put in this novel. They are genuine Herbert in most places and I can see how they fit in the larger body of his work, but the stor ...more
Andrew
Set 25 years after the events in The Lazarus Effect, The Ascension Factor concludes the Pandora Sequence trilogy. Though the entire trilogy was a collaboration between Frank Herbert and Bill Ransom, Herbert died two years before The Ascension Factor was published. While this book is definitely Herbert-esque, Ransom's influence is noticeably heavier than in the preceding two novels and characterizations felt quite different.

As in most any Herbert novel, The Ascension Factor explores various theme
Dustin
Feb 18, 2009 Dustin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Frank Herbert
Though not nearly as well known as the Dune series, Herbert's trilogy with Bill Ransom is at least as potent, if not even more so. Whereas the Dune storyline gets progressively larger and larger, and more and more snarled and difficult to decypher, the drama on the planet of Pandora is far more streamlined. Rather than the competing interests of 28 different guilds and houses, etc, Pandora has a single space-ships crew of humans....the first book is them trying to settle the planet, the 2nd book ...more
Daniel Callister
Not bad. The book didn't really pull me in, but it kept me entertained enough to finish. Overall I'd say the series was pretty good. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. My favorite book was The Jesus Incident. I think the Ascension Factor would make a cool CG movie.
Tazio Bettin
Not a bad final chapter of the Pandora trilogy of Frank Herbert, although this specific book has been mainly written by Bill Ransom, his co-writer in the trilogy.
There are interesting themes regarding alien intelligence and the possible patterns of survival of humankind, some of which are clearly dear to Herbert and are investigated in his other works.
In the end this cycle of books definitely wasn't Herbert's masterpiece, but an interesting and thought-provoking read nonetheless.
Adrian
Johny
First half of book was confusing and sort of boring, second half was great.
Kristopher Edson
You can stop with the first two of the Pandora Sequence. This book really isn't worth the effort. If you insist on reading everything Frank ever wrote, then I can understand, but this book will be a disappointment.
Emma
Disappoint with the last book. Felt rushed and the authors are desperate. The Zavatan felt like they are thrown in for good measure. It was a nice read but they should of stuck with the third book.
Nachtkind
Ok, I didn't even know this was the last book in a trilogy until about 5 minutes ago. Even so, just an average book. Not bad but not really special. Would hope for more from Frank Hebert.
nick
this series is so underrated, I think its better then dune
L Train
Jun 19, 2013 L Train rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to L by: Jesse
This was the most taxing to read of the four. The characters bored me. The climax was uninteresting. The book was just, eh.
Rowan O'bryan
didn't even know this book existed until this week! it's the final book about Ship and the colony on Pandora. must. find.
Michelle
read this in highschool and i loved it. just bought another copy of all three of them
Alexander Debkaliuk
A worthy finale! Rises up gradually from start to a planet-wide epic ending.
Claudia
Somehow disappointing, compared to the previous three.
Mel
Finished solely to end the series.
Keith
Book 4 in Series
None
Nov 29, 2012 None added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1989
False
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Mason Bressler
Mason Bressler marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Astrid Spanninga
Astrid Spanninga marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
  • The Battles of Dune
  • Paul of Dune (Heroes of Dune, #1)
  • Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction
  • The Dune Encyclopedia
  • Tom O'Bedlam
  • TekLords (TekWar, #2)
  • The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick, Volume 3: The Father-Thing
  • The Psycho-technic League
  • Ambulance Ship  (Sector General, #4)
  • The Martians (Mars Trilogy, #3.5)
  • Dayworld Breakup (Dayworld #3)
  • The Practice Effect
  • The Dark Light Years
  • The Cambridge Companion to Science Fiction
  • Worlds of Exile and Illusion: Rocannon's World, Planet of Exile, City of Illusions (Hainish Cycle, #1-3)
Frank Herbert was a critically acclaimed and commercially successful American science fiction author.

He is best known for the novel Dune and its five sequels. The Dune saga, set in the distant future and taking place over millennia, dealt with themes such as human survival and evolution, ecology, and the intersection of religion, politics, and power, and is widely considered to be among the classi
More about Frank Herbert...

The Pandora Sequence (5 books)
  • Destination: Void (Destination: Void, #1)
  • The Jesus Incident (Destination: Void, #2)
  • The Lazarus Effect (Destination: Void, #3)
  • The Pandora Sequence: The Jesus Incident, The Lazarus Effect, The Ascension Factor
Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2) Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #3) The Great Dune Trilogy  God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #4)