Start by marking “The Ascension Factor (The Pandora Sequence, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Ascension Factor (The Pandora Sequence, #3)

The Ascension Factor (The Pandora Sequence #3)

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  1,111 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
This final book in the "Destination: Void" collaboration between Frank Herbert and Bill Ransom, set twenty-five years after the previous book The Lazarus Effect, concludes the story of the planet Pandora.
Published February 5th 1990 by Random House Value Publishing (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Ascension Factor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ascension Factor

Dune by Frank HerbertDune Messiah by Frank HerbertGod Emperor of Dune by Frank HerbertChildren of Dune by Frank HerbertDestination Void by Frank Herbert
The Classics of Frank Herbert
20th out of 36 books — 49 voters
Cities in Flight by James BlishLord of Light by Roger Zelazny2001 by Arthur C. Clarke2010 by Arthur C. ClarkeThe Instrumentality of Mankind by Cordwainer Smith
Cosmic Mythologies
11th out of 22 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Scribble Orca
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll never know whether it was the homage as apology that prefaced this book which coloured my reaction to it. My suspicion, however, is that it played a minor role.

I dug out the two preceding books and rifled through each after I finished The Ascension Factor. Rather fearfully, in fact.
Andrew
Jan 10, 2013 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Set 25 years after the events in The Lazarus Effect, The Ascension Factor concludes the Pandora Sequence trilogy. Though the entire trilogy was a collaboration between Frank Herbert and Bill Ransom, Herbert died two years before The Ascension Factor was published. While this book is definitely Herbert-esque, Ransom's influence is noticeably heavier than in the preceding two novels and characterizations felt quite different.

As in most any Herbert novel, The Ascension Factor explores various theme
Matthew
Apr 05, 2013 Matthew rated it it was ok
THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS

If you've read any of the Destination: Void series, you'll know that this final book is different. That's because Frank Herbert passed away before it was written. So when you notice his name on the front of the book, that's not really true. Bill Ransom claims that Frank Herbert helped with a character sketch of the book, and I'm sure that the two authors talked about plans for the book over coffee.

As far as I can tell, that's about it.

The Ascension Factor is fairly
Lara
Jun 18, 2016 Lara rated it liked it
Ummmmm, most of the reviews for this book kinda suck. What am I getting myself into???

-------

Okay, this wasn't really as bad as a lot of people are making it out to be. Seems like a lot of folks just thought this one was terribly written because Herbert died before it was actually started and Ransom wrote it all on his own (although he says he and Herbert had already plotted the whole thing out together). Anyway, I couldn't really tell a difference.

I liked this series as a whole, though I do so
Gabriel Gheorghiu
Nov 13, 2015 Gabriel Gheorghiu rated it did not like it
I just couldn't finish this, and that's a pity because I was really interested in the conclusion of the series, but Bill Ransom's style is just unbearable for me. This book made me avoid reading for more than two weeks. Not anymore. I quit it. I can't even bear listening to the audiobook.

The last book had some really great characters that made up for the soft nature of the philosophical content. But I'm clueless about this one. I don't know man.
Rob
...Given the obstacles life threw in Herbert's direction during the writing of the series, it shouldn't come as a surprise that it is not his a highlight in his oeuvre. They are perfectly readable in a way but The Jesus Incident is unpolished, The Lazarus Effect uninspired and The Ascension Factor unconvincing. In a way, I can still enjoy the ideas Herbert and Ransom put in this novel. They are genuine Herbert in most places and I can see how they fit in the larger body of his work, but the stor ...more
Todd
Sep 15, 2016 Todd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wait, what? There's a third one?! So I guess this was published after I'd read the first two, so I never noticed it till recently. And it was published a bit after Frank Herbert's death, which may explain some of its flaws. Overall, if you enjoyed The Jesus Incident and The Lazarus Effect, you ought to enjoy this one. It's not as original as the first two (in a way, it sort of rehashes between them), but contains many of the themes, ideas, etc., of those and the setting of Pandora as well, of co ...more
Bobby Downey
Nov 19, 2015 Bobby Downey rated it did not like it
look, if you read the first two, you'll probably read this. I didn't think it was possible but this was even worse than the preceding volumes. The story is just all over the place, the characters are paper thin, gaping holes are never filled, it's just crazy. Given the stuff that happened during writing this trilogy I'm not surprised it's so bad. It's painfully apparent that herbert didn't give a toss about the books and while the concept is interesting with some great potential, the result shou ...more
nick
Jun 15, 2016 nick rated it it was amazing
this series is so underrated, I think its better then dune
Dustin
Feb 18, 2009 Dustin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Frank Herbert
Though not nearly as well known as the Dune series, Herbert's trilogy with Bill Ransom is at least as potent, if not even more so. Whereas the Dune storyline gets progressively larger and larger, and more and more snarled and difficult to decypher, the drama on the planet of Pandora is far more streamlined. Rather than the competing interests of 28 different guilds and houses, etc, Pandora has a single space-ships crew of humans....the first book is them trying to settle the planet, the 2nd book ...more
James
Dec 17, 2015 James rated it did not like it
Awful. If you're wondering what happened to Pandora after The Lazarus Effect, don't bother. Anything you could imagine is better than this.
Tazio Bettin
May 10, 2014 Tazio Bettin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad final chapter of the Pandora trilogy of Frank Herbert, although this specific book has been mainly written by Bill Ransom, his co-writer in the trilogy.
There are interesting themes regarding alien intelligence and the possible patterns of survival of humankind, some of which are clearly dear to Herbert and are investigated in his other works.
In the end this cycle of books definitely wasn't Herbert's masterpiece, but an interesting and thought-provoking read nonetheless.
Adrian
Mar 18, 2013 Adrian rated it it was ok
Daniel Callister
Not bad. The book didn't really pull me in, but it kept me entertained enough to finish. Overall I'd say the series was pretty good. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. My favorite book was The Jesus Incident. I think the Ascension Factor would make a cool CG movie.
Johny
Aug 25, 2014 Johny rated it really liked it
First half of book was confusing and sort of boring, second half was great.
Kristopher Edson
Nov 21, 2014 Kristopher Edson rated it it was ok
You can stop with the first two of the Pandora Sequence. This book really isn't worth the effort. If you insist on reading everything Frank ever wrote, then I can understand, but this book will be a disappointment.
Emma
Jul 26, 2013 Emma rated it liked it
Disappoint with the last book. Felt rushed and the authors are desperate. The Zavatan felt like they are thrown in for good measure. It was a nice read but they should of stuck with the third book.
Nachtkind
Dec 10, 2010 Nachtkind rated it liked it
Ok, I didn't even know this was the last book in a trilogy until about 5 minutes ago. Even so, just an average book. Not bad but not really special. Would hope for more from Frank Hebert.
L Train
Jun 19, 2013 L Train rated it it was ok
Recommended to L by: Jesse
This was the most taxing to read of the four. The characters bored me. The climax was uninteresting. The book was just, eh.
Rowan O'bryan
didn't even know this book existed until this week! it's the final book about Ship and the colony on Pandora. must. find.
Michelle
Feb 26, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing
read this in highschool and i loved it. just bought another copy of all three of them
Alexander Debkaliuk
Oct 09, 2013 Alexander Debkaliuk rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A worthy finale! Rises up gradually from start to a planet-wide epic ending.
Claudia
Jan 24, 2015 Claudia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Somehow disappointing, compared to the previous three.
Mel
Apr 12, 2016 Mel rated it it was ok
Finished solely to end the series.
Patrick
Steve Groves
Feb 23, 2014 Steve Groves rated it did not like it
Ugh.
Tony Orozco
Tony Orozco marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
João Pedro
João Pedro marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: The Ascension Factor 2 10 Sep 17, 2015 03:12PM
  • The Battles of Dune
  • Sandworms of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #8)
  • Tom O'Bedlam
  • Dangerous Visions 3
  • White Mars
  • Luminous
  • The Solarians
  • Orbit Unlimited
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Radio Scripts: Tertiary, Quandary & Quintessential Phases (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #3-5)
  • Star Trek Star Charts: The Complete Atlas of Star Trek
  • The Real Story and Forbidden Knowledge (Gap, #1-2)
  • The Dune Encyclopedia
  • Ambulance Ship  (Sector General, #4)
Frank Herbert was a critically acclaimed and commercially successful American science fiction author.

He is best known for the novel Dune and its five sequels. The Dune saga, set in the distant future and taking place over millennia, dealt with themes such as human survival and evolution, ecology, and the intersection of religion, politics, and power, and is widely considered to be among the classi
More about Frank Herbert...

The Pandora Sequence (3 books)
  • The Jesus Incident (The Pandora Sequence, #1)
  • The Lazarus Effect (The Pandora Sequence, #2)