Start by marking “The Gap Into Ruin: This Day All Gods Die (Gap, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Gap Into Ruin: This Day All Gods Die (Gap, #5)

The Gap Into Ruin: This Day All Gods Die (Gap #5)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  4,800 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
From the bestselling author of Chaos and Order comes the conclusion of the Gap series. As the crew attempts to pursue the pirate ship Soar and her captain, their hopes turn to Angus Thermopyle. Angus, Morn Hyland, and her son, Davies, race home, unaware that Warden Dios and The Dragon are locked in a final confrontation that may alter the fate of humankind forever. HC: Ban ...more
Published April 1st 1996 by Spectra (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Gap Into Ruin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gap Into Ruin

Jack
Mar 06, 2012 Jack rated it it was amazing
If you can't stand violence, horrible people and or anything unpleasant do not even think of touching these books. They will utterly repulse you, and probably scar you for life.

But they are fantastic.

The Gap series, spanning five novels is a saga of abhorrent charters, deep space and political backstabbing and intrigue. By the time the third novel starts it's moving at a breakneck pace, leaping between multiple viewpoints, (about ten characters) all moving against one another, judging motivati
Emily
Jun 09, 2007 Emily rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sci fi fans
Shelves: novels
Stephen Donaldson's "Gap" series is one my favorite series.

My father handed me the first one, saying, "This is full of violence and rape and you'll probably hate all the characters in this first book, but the story just keeps getting better."

He was right. The story begins with a space pirate attack on a police ship and the "rescue" of the last survivor on the police ship and concludes with the human race fighting the Amnion, an alien species capable of extreme genetic manipulation. Despite the
Kate
Aug 29, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2009
A wonderful, gripping and devastating finish to this series. Despite Angus being the biggest badass in the history of SF (especially in the first book), you can't help cheering him on in this one.

I have to admit to feeling very emotional at the end of the story. Warden Dios's message to Morn was a fitting ending to this emotional rollercoaster of a series. His ultimate sacrifice was worthwhile to ensure that all was set right but devastating in the same way that Covenant's loss was.

All in all, t
Lynne
May 18, 2009 Lynne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mature adults
Recommended to Lynne by: found it at Science Fiction Book club
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Describe any Donaldson novel/series in a paragraph. I dare you. I'm not going to review each book; it was too long ago that I read them. However: If you like your sci-fi straight up, no water or ice, this series will satisfy like 21-year-old Glenlivet single-malt.

Donaldson is an opera enthusiast, Wagner a particular favorite, and the Ring cycle is the inspiration for the story in this five-book series. As usual, the story hasn't been culled from other sci-fi and hasn't been imitated by others. D
Apr 27, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
Man. My review of this book is going to have to encompass my review of the series, since I think its flaws and strengths are more or less uniform throughout the last four books. (Which are vaguely modeled on the four operas that constitute Wagner's Ring Cycle*, so I guess the setup-ness of the first book is acceptable if you think of it as a sort of musical prelude.)

*This was too pretentious to be ignored. I loved it. Part of my grimness in ploughing through the really boring chapters was to see
KostasAt
9/10

'This Day All Gods Die' closes the series with an epic finale with Donaldson bringing all that, that he was building from the previous books in a story with full with intrigues, politics, battles, suspense and with some very unexpected twists.

The story in this book focuses, mostly, in only one place: Suka Bator, the center of the Council of GCES, and also the UMCP's Headquarters which, together - and with unexpected alliances, they will have to find a solution of the UMCP's corruption and sc
Steven Ackerley
Jul 30, 2011 Steven Ackerley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've just re-read The Gap Series (I'm lending them to a friend) and I am still in love with this sequence of books. As usual, Donaldson puts his characters through the wringer, every action has a consequence and the decisions made are always too expensive. He makes heroes out of seemingly ordinary people, the line between good and bad is always a blur and he'll even make you see hope in the most terrible of situations.

It's also a very believable future story, as much as I desire The Culture, I t
Bingo
May 26, 2013 Bingo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rich, tense, alive. What an incredible experience!

The final installment of the Gap Series plays its own part in the well composed structure of this five piece novel. It doesn't just contain the ending, rather, from the first to the last page, it is the ending. The events of the previous volumes have set up the circumstances for The Gap into Ruin, now everything is in place as it begins. The route toward the end is well over 600 pages, and the beauty of it all is that Donaldson used the space to
Troy G
Dec 01, 2010 Troy G rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The Gap series is something that only Stephen R. Donaldson could write. Most of the characters have redeeming virtues. Twists and turns recasting the Hero as the Villain, the Villain as the Slave, the Slave as the Hero. In this book we learn why these people have been tormented by themselves and others through the last 4 books.

We see higher level political implications of the plights of the characters. The higher level ramifications are both more and less satisfying than the close up portraits.
Pamela
Dec 12, 2012 Pamela rated it it was amazing
I find it humorous the so many "one starrers" made it through five volumes only to keep bitching (oops) about the profanity, and the vulgarity, and the very sordid nature of the characters , the situations, and I guess the writer. Hey, he came up with it after all. I don't know. It would be easy to attack those people and sooo tempting but.... Life isn't always pretty. And tough situations force people to make tough choices. Sometimes they are left with no choice at all. Sound a bit like Angus T ...more
Poetic Justice
Mar 19, 2012 Poetic Justice rated it it was amazing
Stephen R. Donaldson was an apocalypse for me. I've known this pentalogy for years, but lacking *inside* information on its intricately spun plot and expert lexical needlecraft, took me a long time to get up close and personal with it.

It takes a rare kind of intelligence to be able to juggle between hundreds of different threads without losing the beat of the general story. The abysmal darkness of the human psyche and its hardwired longing for redemption especially when all bets are off, coupled
Jon
Apr 03, 2014 Jon rated it liked it
A stolid (as SRD might use it) conclusion to a really ambitious and mostly successful series. I find it hard to evaluate any but the first book without referencing the others. In that light, there was too much redundancy; it's effective in the first book because of the perspective shifts, but in the latter books, we're really only getting "the real story". So why retell it dozens (literally) of times?

I was also never fully invested in Fasner's villainy, nor did the overall governmental structure
Leeanne
Sep 01, 2009 Leeanne rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite series! It's kind of amazing that I made it to the last book since I really did not enjoy the first two. And in fact, I didn't enjoy ANY of his Thomas Covenant series. But for some reason I contined to read. And books 3-5 were well worth it! Some of the best SF writing I have read.
Richard
Jan 11, 2013 Richard rated it it was amazing
OMG!!!! TO SAY THE THRILLING CONCLUSION IS TO UNDER-RATE IT!!!! This is an amazing end to a full and complex story of political intrigue, tragedy (both personal and interstellar), corruption(see last parentheses ) , and the final fight for the fate of our race!
16s
Jul 10, 2012 16s rated it it was amazing
This series is just awesome. Just read it!!
Thomas Panzarello
Sep 30, 2012 Thomas Panzarello rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite series!
Devbear
Sep 13, 2007 Devbear rated it it was amazing
I love this book -- a truly spectacular ending to a series that addresses interesting questions of what makes us human and what makes us do the things we do.
Adam
Feb 18, 2012 Adam rated it it was amazing
Awesome conclusion to my favourite 'mature' sci fi saga. If you like some sci in your fi, enjoy real characterisations, and want to be enthralled, start with book one and get in.
John Dow
Apr 23, 2012 John Dow rated it it was amazing
Absolutely magnificent in every way. It's been at least two and a half decades since I read this series last and it really has matured with the years.
Sean
Sep 04, 2012 Sean rated it it was amazing
Yup it can and did get better wow!!! Every person who reads scifi needs to read this series
Alicia Koster
Jul 28, 2012 Alicia Koster rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Simply Amazing...but not simple at all!!!
Cheesewheels
Oct 09, 2016 Cheesewheels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nobody tells a story quite like Donaldson.
Seth Burleson
An epic conclusion to a great series, although the end dragged a tiny bit. Things really come together and Donaldson proves his knowledge.
Chris
Aug 02, 2016 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Stephen Donaldson’s world-building, character development, and storytelling are top-notch as always, and “This Day All Gods Die” is a fitting book-five finale to an incredible, epic sci-fi series that started with the novella, The Real Story. Here’s my spoiler-free rundown of select aspects of this installment and the series as a whole.

Don’t Judge the Book by Its Title
In spite of what the book-five title, “This Day All Gods Die,” and the book-three title, “A Dark and Hungry God Arises,” could
Vilvery
Jul 30, 2012 Vilvery rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Vilvery by: Jezz
Värdigt avslut på en fantastisk serie. En serie som är lång, tungläst men fruktansvärt bra och i denna bok är tempot galet. Eller kanske inte så mycket tempot som intensiteten. Konfrontationen/mötet mellan folket på Trumpet och folket på Punisher är fantastiskt, likaså deras kommunikation med Warden Dios. Allt faller liksom på plats i den här boken. Vi förstår, om och om igen, varför allt har hänt. Vi förstår på allvar att huvudpersonerna verkligen varit brickor i ett spel, vi förstår varför det ...more
Kirt
Jan 17, 2008 Kirt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read "The Gap" series, a five-novel saga from Stephen R. Donaldson.

I think Donaldson does better with SF than fantasy. The series is set in a future as created by something called the Gap Drive, an FTL travel method that sometimes drives people mad. It starts out with a complicated little minuet of a story involving the lives of three people who live on the fringes of space (the first novel), but over time the series becomes a complicated tale involving a terrible cold war between an alien rac
Mike
Jul 08, 2015 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
So here we basically find ourselves. At the end.
Anyone reading this will have likely enough read the books leading up to it, if not this review in particular, so I will leave just a few thoughts and big-picture observations I had after finally finishing the Gap Series:
First, I have said for some time that this series would be a fantastic TV series for HBO, even going so far as to post my Dream Cast at the end of each review (including here). However, I now believe it to be impossible, and for
Andrew Wilson
Nov 17, 2013 Andrew Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The concluding volume of the Gap series finds the battle-weary crew of the *Trumpet *in disarray, while Angus Thermopyle races home with his family, unaware that he is heading into a battle for the future. Reprint. *PW. *

### Amazon.com Review

Tough-as-nails Morn Hyland, pirate-turned-cyborg Angus Thermopyle, and the whole crew from the United Mining Company Police are back in the final book of the Gap series, *This Day All Gods Die*. The Gap plot has raced through the galaxy at breakneck speed

Paul Brown
May 15, 2016 Paul Brown rated it liked it
This one is tough to review. A great story with terrible writing.
The GAP cycle is a reworking of Wagner's Ring Cycle (an opera).
You can read all about it here:

First let me say this is the bleakest series of books I've ever read:
All the characters in the book are constantly cycling through the following emotions:
Revulsion
Outrage
Despair
Desperation
Horror

You can forget about anything related to a good emotion. It doesn't happen once in al
D. B.
I've been slogging through Donaldson's "Ring Cycle in space" since 2009, and while the experience as a whole has been consistently challenging and occasionally rewarding, I'm not sure if I have the intestinal fortitude to admit that it's been "enjoyable."

The first book in the series, The Real Story, was an interesting sci-fi-flavored psychological drama, (despite all the rape) but I didn't think enough of it at the time to want to continue. But then after getting completely turned off by Donalds
  • Diamond Mask (Galactic Milieu Trilogy, #2)
  • The Neutronium Alchemist 1: Consolidation (Night's Dawn 2)
  • The Broken Wheel  (Chung Kuo, #2)
  • The Technician
  • Luminous
Stephen Reeder Donaldson is an American fantasy, science fiction, and mystery novelist; in the United Kingdom he is usually called "Stephen Donaldson" (without the "R"). He has also written non-fiction under the pen name Reed Stephens.

EARLY LIFE AND EDUCATION:

Stephen R. Donaldson was born May 13, 1947 in Cleveland, Ohio. His father, James, was a medical missionary and his mother, Ruth, a prostheti
More about Stephen R. Donaldson...

Gap (5 books)
  • The Gap Into Conflict: The Real Story (Gap, #1)
  • The Gap Into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge (Gap, #2)
  • The Gap Into Power: A Dark and Hungry God Arises (Gap, #3)
  • The Gap Into Madness: Chaos and Order (Gap, #4)